PDA

View Full Version : Public Employees - R they Overpaid?

Marvin S
07-25-2010, 07:53 PM
I read comments by posters - saying this or that particular area of the public sector is not paid enough. These comments are generally devoid of facts, but the posters continue their postings.

Name a particular skill set, justify why they are paid what they receive, I'm sure there will be a rebuttal or two ;-).

BonMallari
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
IMHO public secondary and elementary school teachers are underpaid....but public employees like Congress persons are overpaid based on their salaries and compensation packages (both ethical and unethical)

subroc
07-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Nuclear Engineers are probably underpaid compared to thier power plant counterparts.

Brad Turner
07-25-2010, 09:06 PM
As a middle school teacher, I will say that good teachers are under-paid and bad teachers are over-paid.

Natasha.Hall
07-26-2010, 12:50 AM
I think that there are a lot of public positions that are overpaid. The problem though is that the govt. is contracting out to the private sector the private employees end up getting paid WAY more than the govt positions. This means that good public employees leave the public sector to work in the private sector and the govt. is paying it regardless. We get less competent employees working government jobs and it costs us more in training them.

As a high school teacher I can tell you that most districts are underpaid and overworked and being burdened by a failed "no child left behind" program that is NOT teaching our students.

charly_t
07-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Having had occasion to call a certain place in D.C. ( government office ) for some info and hearing what sounded like a night club or party in full swing in the background I would say that some people are being paid too much. I mentioned it to another lady who has had occasion to call this office at different times and she said it sounded like that when she called. If you say something like I did ("someone must be having a birthday today") things do get better while you are on the phone with them. I bet most people working for the government who work in that office love coming to work each day and getting paid for having a party each and every day. I don't care what they are being paid............I will say again.........it's too much.

subroc
07-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Having had occasion to call a certain place in D.C. ( government office ) for some info and hearing what sounded like a night club or party in full swing in the background I would say that some people are being paid too much. I mentioned it to another lady who has had occasion to call this office at different times and she said it sounded like that when she called. If you say something like I did ("someone must be having a birthday today") things do get better while you are on the phone with them. I bet most people working for the government who work in that office love coming to work each day and getting paid for having a party each and every day. I don't care what they are being paid............I will say again.........it's too much.

are you trying to make us believe that the entire office was not working and partying?

Are you further insinuating that this is a daily occurance?

Did you call at lunch?

was this call made during the holiday season?

Could you tell us what department and office?

charly_t
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
"are you trying to make us believe that the entire office was not working and partying?" NO, just a large number of people.
One person did answer the phone so I admit think she was working.

"Are you further insinuating that this is a daily occurance?" YES, since other people told me they heard the same thing when they called that office.

"Did you call at lunch?" I don't think so but it could have been.

"was this call made during the holiday season?" Can't say for sure.

"Could you tell us what department and office?" NO, because it may be totally different today and it would be wrong to cause problems for good workers. However.........thats been a while and I doubt that it has gotten better. I presume your questions were meant as a joke :-) :-) :-)
My answers aren't. :-) :-) :-)

I get rude people when I call the local post office so I've gotten so I call the small post office in a near-by small town and get people who are at least pleasant. All government "servants" are not bad just those who want to be !

TN_LAB
07-26-2010, 09:19 AM
My limited exposure to the facts has me leaning a little to the "they are overpaid" side. Especially if/when you consider the retirement pensions a lot of the government employees receive.

I guess they are paid a fair wage, or the folks wouldn't be working there.

zeus3925
07-26-2010, 09:47 AM
I was a member of a bargaining team that negotiated several contracts for public employees. In the main they were somewhat underpaid compared with their counterparts in industry. Some of the professional positions were making so little that they qualified for low income housing assistance.

We managed to negotiate a series of contracts that were about 85-90 percent of parity with the private sector. Our turnover, which was nearly 65 per cent per year, dropped dramatically and our training cost fell as well. Our productivity rose significantly. Several of our departments won state and national awards for excellence.

ducknwork
07-26-2010, 12:09 PM
IMHO public secondary and elementary school teachers are underpaid....but public employees like Congress persons are overpaid based on their salaries and compensation packages (both ethical and unethical)

Hit the nail on the head this time Bon!

subroc
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
...I presume your questions were meant as a joke...

They were not meant as a joke.

Blackstone
07-26-2010, 12:29 PM

There is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself at work or enjoying your work environment. You would have to know if the workers were getting their jobs done before you can judge if they were getting paid too much. Personally, I wish I had a job I enjoyed going to every day. It sure would make it easier to get out of the bed every morning. :)

gman0046
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
You mean the job they gave you for being a minority doesn't suit you? Why not file another discrimination suit?

Blackstone
07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
You mean the job they gave you for being a minority doesn't suit you? Why not file a discrimination suit. The NAACP will help you.

If you were directing that at me, it is truly the most ignorant statement you have made so far. I really didn't think that was possible, but I guess that just goes to show how wrong I can be. You have truly outdone yourself. :rolleyes:

gman0046
07-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Blackstone, on one of your numerous previous posts you bragged how you were given a promotion because of your minority status. Are you now denying that? I'll look up the post and identify it.

Blackstone
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Blackstone, on one of your numerous previous posts you bragged how you were given a promotion because of your minority status. Are you now denying that? I'll look up the post and identify it.

Please do. I will be waiting.

gman0046
07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Blackstone, may I call your attention to your post #121, on 7-19-2010, 05:24PM. You stated you received a promotion after threatening to sue your employer. Are you now denying that you posted that? I do take offense at you calling my post ignorant when I mentioned it. Your post is there for all to see Blackstone.

subroc
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
looks like a perfomance based promotion using the legal tools that are in place to prevent racism. In my view, this is exactly how I want the law to work. well done Blackstone...

zeus3925
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
You mean the job they gave you for being a minority doesn't suit you? Why not file another discrimination suit?

Gman,

Why do you burden us with this tripe? That was an unwarranted attack--totally over the top and out of place here.

ducknwork
07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Gman,

Why do you burden us with this tripe? That was an unwarranted attack--totally over the top and out of place here.

Not to mention completely unfactual and stupid. Very similar to many of his other posts...Hmmm...I'm noticing a trend.

But, he has succeeded in his goal of hijacking yet another thread.

Blackstone
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Blackstone, may I call your attention to your post #121, on 7-19-2010, 05:24PM. You stated you received a promotion after threatening to sue your employer. Are you now denying that you posted that? I do take offense at you calling my post ignorant when I mentioned it. Your post is there for all to see Blackstone.

How come you didn’t actually post the quote from the post where I said I got a “promotion” because of my minority status? I have a feeling it is because you know that is not what I said. Here is the exact quote below.

. . . . A job opening came up in my department, and everyone thought I was a shoe-in. They hired a white woman that had only been a temp for about 5 months. Everyone, including me, was shocked. Then I was told by another employee that the supervisor (yep, the same one from above) had remarked that he would never hire a black person because they were slow and lazy. Upon hearing that, I decided to go to HR to find out what criteria was used to make the hiring decision. At first, they wouldn’t talk to me, but eventually they told me their hiring decision was based on performance, and that I had never been considered for the job because of my performance. I worked in a production environment, so there were quantifiable production records. A friend that worked in the office copied those records for me. They showed that the best day’s production of the woman they hired did not match my worst production day in 20 months. I went to the VP of HR armed with the records, and told him what had happened, and threatened to sue. Within 3 weeks, they miraculously found a job for me that they “had been considering me for all along.” Funny how that worked.[/QUOTE]

So, if you read what I wrote, you sould have realized that, originally, I was actually denied a job (not a promotion) based on “my minority status.” Their excuse was that the woman they hired was a better performer than me. However, when I produced irrefutable proof that I was, day in and day out, the better worker, and presented an eyewitness to a meeting in which the supervisor stated he denied me the job based on race, they gave me a job rather than face a potential law suit.

You have made that same accusation before:

[QUOTE=gman0046;647544]Blackstone, great job using your race to attain a promotion. Congratulations, that would have never worked for me.

And, your error was previously pointed out to you in posts by myself and Henry V:

How in the world did you come to that conclusion based on what I wrote? Did you actually read it? First, it wasn’t a promotion. It was a job I applied for. Second, I did not use race to get hired. To the contrary, race was used to deny me the position. I presented documentation that proved I was the better, more productive worker. And, I had a witness that was in the room when the supervisor made the statement that he would not hire a black person as the reason I wasn’t hired. That would have stood up in a court of law, which is why they felt it was better to hire me than to have me sue them.

It would have worked for you if you had the kind of evidence I had.

Are you kidding me? WTF. Where did this come from based on the account presented? Perhaps you should read what was written and then edit your post again. Something like" Great job sticking up for yourself and documenting that someone had unfairly been granted a position"

Gman, it’s true what they say, reading is fundamental!

If you were offended by me saying your statement was ignorant, I am sorry. However, based on the definition of the word ignorant, “The word "ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware,” it seemed to fit. The only other alternatives I can think of is that you either failed to comprehend what was written, or you are deliberately misrepresenting it.

Marvin S
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
?

I'm not going to do you the honor of further publicizing your quote - this thread was beginning to resemble a good discussion until you got involved. It was just the right time for rebuttal with a few facts.

Try lurking, you might learn something. There was a reason the No Child Left Behind Act was passed, it was to help people like yourself :confused:.

But do me a favor - stay off threads I'm participating in, you have little of substance to add.

gman0046
07-26-2010, 05:52 PM
YGBSM Marvin

mjh345
07-26-2010, 07:02 PM
How come you didn’t actually post the quote from the post where I said I got a “promotion” because of my minority status? I have a feeling it is because you know that is not what I said. Here is the exact quote below.

. . . . A job opening came up in my department, and everyone thought I was a shoe-in. They hired a white woman that had only been a temp for about 5 months. Everyone, including me, was shocked. Then I was told by another employee that the supervisor (yep, the same one from above) had remarked that he would never hire a black person because they were slow and lazy. Upon hearing that, I decided to go to HR to find out what criteria was used to make the hiring decision. At first, they wouldn’t talk to me, but eventually they told me their hiring decision was based on performance, and that I had never been considered for the job because of my performance. I worked in a production environment, so there were quantifiable production records. A friend that worked in the office copied those records for me. They showed that the best day’s production of the woman they hired did not match my worst production day in 20 months. I went to the VP of HR armed with the records, and told him what had happened, and threatened to sue. Within 3 weeks, they miraculously found a job for me that they “had been considering me for all along.” Funny how that worked.

So, if you read what I wrote, you sould have realized that, originally, I was actually denied a job (not a promotion) based on “my minority status.” Their excuse was that the woman they hired was a better performer than me. However, when I produced irrefutable proof that I was, day in and day out, the better worker, and presented an eyewitness to a meeting in which the supervisor stated he denied me the job based on race, they gave me a job rather than face a potential law suit.

You have made that same accusation before:

And, your error was previously pointed out to you in posts by myself and Henry V:

Gman, it’s true what they say, reading is fundamental!

If you were offended by me saying your statement was ignorant, I am sorry. However, based on the definition of the word ignorant, “The word "ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware,” it seemed to fit. The only other alternatives I can think of is that you either failed to comprehend what was written, or you are deliberately misrepresenting it.

OWNED!!!!!

But don't get a big head Blackstone; in an intellectual exchange, owning gman would be like winning the special olympics.

Blackstone
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
But don't get a big head Blackstone; in an intellectual exchange, owning gman would be like winning the special olympics.

I haven't looked at any of their times, but I'm not so sure I could beat any of the Special Olympians!

Ken Bora
07-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Blackstone, on one of your numerous previous posts...........
Blackstone has 7 fewer posts than you and you call his “Numerous”!!!
Ya know what most of us think of your 491 efforts at sparkling conversion?:rolleyes:
If your gonna be so bitter it would give you the appearance of having a backbone........ If you had the balls to sign your name.:confused:

david gibson
07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
[quote=Blackstone;650669]How come you didn’t actually post the quote from the post where I said I got a “promotion” because of my minority status? I have a feeling it is because you know that is not what I said. Here is the exact quote below.

OWNED!!!!!

and whats wrong with that? i have a nephew that competes. he is very proud of his effort in every event he participates in as well as all his extended family, no matter where he "places". he "gets" it. special olympics is never and has never and will never be about "winning". its about being there and caring.

did you learn nothing about what obama said on jay leno?? really?

i am surprised marc, i really thought you were better than this.

gman0046
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry guy's mjh345 has to take the cake for being ignorant. It doesn't take a man to make a comment about the Special Olympics. It's by the grace of God he doesn't have any children or grandchildren with special needs. I guess maybe he's just following the Messiah's example.

zeus3925
07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
What were you going to say, Marvin, before we were interrupted?

david gibson
07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Sorry guy's mjh345 has to take the cake for being ignorant. It doesn't take a man to make a comment about the Special Olympics. It's by the grace of God he doesn't have any children or grandchildren with special needs. I guess maybe he's just following the Messiah's example.

i think deep down marc is ok, he just runs into a brick wall every time he tries to take someone down. like when he lambasted me for admitting i trespass when i train, and then a poll showed well over 50% of RTF does the same thing, and those that dont trespass own their own land or have negotiated grounds available. he thinks he is on to something and then BAM - he is sitting on his duff with cuckoo birds flying around his head.... ;-)

Blackstone
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Marc meant it as a metaphor. Not as a slight against those that participate in the Special Olympics. I'm pretty sure almost everyone got his point.

Gman, I'll explain metaphor to you later.

david gibson
07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Marc meant it as a metaphor. Not as a slight against those that participate in the Special Olympics. I'm pretty sure almost everyone got his point.

Gman, I'll explain metaphor to you later.

um, i am pretty sure O meant it as a metaphor also and it was still wrong.

so - its a metaphor when you say it is....but anything i say is clearly meant as written

see? i may be slow but i'm catching on! :rolleyes:

charly_t
07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
They were not meant as a joke.

Uummmm, well maybe I should add that the "service" jumped from $10. to $40. And surprise of surprises it takes forever for them to get it done.

ducknwork
07-27-2010, 07:26 AM
DG, you have been awfully sensitive lately.

Marvin S
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM
What were you going to say, Marvin, before we were interrupted?

We're heading for the ocean for a week with the family including all grandkids at the end of this week so will start a new thread when I get back. Things are a little busy here right now.

I've been helping one of my sons get a business off the ground, he is a cheesemaker so I peddle in the Saturday Markets, the people are wonderful & I have an excellent product. Beats going to FT's waiting to get beat up every weekend ;-). I do have a dog that is capable of that level of work, just lost my desire to beat someone & spend too much of my own money doing it. Which brings up another subject, apparently we have someone who posts regularly on these forums who found a new way to finance the dog hobby, steal from an employer who trusts you :(.

But I will present some factual information regarding government education as that seems to be where people have been thoroughly brainwashed. I'd really like others to be prepared with other public employment areas. DNF said the military. & we haven't even looked at some other expensive areas of the governmental employment roles. I personally believe it to be an area that is breaking the bank in many governments & they are still underfunding the pensions :rolleyes:.

mjh345
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Blackstone has 7 fewer posts than you and you call his “Numerous”!!!
Ya know what most of us think of your 491 efforts at sparkling conversion?:rolleyes:
If your gonna be so bitter it would give you the appearance of having a backbone........ If you had the balls to sign your name.:confused:

Trust me Ken gman doesn't have the balls to post under his own name.
His kind prefer to spew their hate and ignorance in anonimity.
Once you take their robe and hood off they are usually found to be snivelling little sissies.

Prove me wrong gman and identify yourself; I won't hold my breath

Marc Healey

Blackstone
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
um, i am pretty sure O meant it as a metaphor also and it was still wrong.

so - its a metaphor when you say it is....but anything i say is clearly meant as written

see? i may be slow but i'm catching on! :rolleyes:

Poor, poor, David. You are so misunderstood. :rolleyes: