PDA

View Full Version : 91,000 Secrets leaked

Roger Perry
07-26-2010, 10:23 AM
WASHINGTON — The release of some 91,000 secret U.S. military documents on the Afghanistan war is just the beginning, WikiLeaks' founder promised Monday, adding that he still has thousands more Afghan files to post online.
The White House, Britain and Pakistan have all condemned the online whistle-blowing group's release Sunday of the classified documents, one of the largest unauthorized disclosures in military history. The Afghan government in Kabul said it was "shocked" at the release but insisted most of the information was not new.
The documents cover some known aspects of the troubled nine-year conflict: U.S. special operations forces have targeted militants without trial, Afghans have been killed by accident, and U.S. officials have been infuriated by alleged Pakistani intelligence cooperation with the very insurgent groups bent on killing Americans.
Still, they also included unreported incidents of Afghan civilian killings and covert operations against Taliban figures.
'Only scratched the surface'
Julian Assange, who founded WikiLeaks, told reporters in London that what's been reported so far on the leaked documents has "only scratched the surface" and said some 15,000 files on Afghanistan are still being vetted by his organization.
He said he believed that "thousands" of U.S. attacks in Afghanistan could be investigated for evidence of war crimes, although he acknowledged that such claims would have to be tested in court.
"It is up to a court to decide really if something in the end is a crime," he said

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38405052/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

This does not sound good.

BonMallari
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
IF these documents are secret or even top secret or even true doesnt bother me as much as how they got the documents...its not like these documents were on some website,someone actually took the time to copy and possibly sell or give the files to the people of wikileaks...if the person who leaked them is a govt official they need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law..it also doesnt say much for Pentagon security if someone was able to breach the files and expose them
Let's see how the justice dept plays this one..

dixidawg
07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
George Bush did it.

Roger Perry
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
George Bush did it.

Bush may not have done it but he may get it, but the files were dated from 2004-2009.

Julian Assange, who founded WikiLeaks, told reporters in London that what's been reported so far on the leaked documents has "only scratched the surface" and said some 15,000 files on Afghanistan are still being vetted by his organization.
He said he believed that "thousands" of U.S. attacks in Afghanistan could be investigated for evidence of war crimes,

Franco
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
If it is true that some in Pakistani government and military were aiding the terrorist, then why the heck are we giving them 50 million tax payer dollars so that they can build a dam?

Paying another country tribute money for thier loyality has never worked in the past. We should have demanded Osama Bin Lauden in exchange for the money!

Our Foreign Policy has never been weaker and instead of playing "nice guy" we should be playing tough. Tough is the only thing these people understand.

And, screw the Liberals, we have committed ZERO war crimes! I don't care what the documents say, this is war not a cocktail party.

We have the best soldiers and finest military in the world and I support them 100%. To buy into this bullshit is beyond my comprehesion as an American!

dnf777
07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I heard the intelligence community has over 840,000 "top secret" clearances issued.

They ought to call it "Victoria's Secret", as many people who get to look at it.

BonMallari
07-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I heard the intelligence community has over 840,000 "top secret" clearances issued.

They ought to call it "Victoria's Secret", as many people who get to look at it.

speaking of which...when does the new catalog come out ? I think my mailman hijacked mine..all I get is the Delta Waterfowl and some rag called Retriever News ;-)

cotts135
07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Watching MSM coverage of this is amazing if not predictable. On msnbc they have a retired general on who is asked if he feels this threatens the National security of the nation and naturally he says this is a grave and deep threat to the security of the nation but I will be god damned if not in the next breath he says that in his analysis and everything he has heard nothing new has been revealed with these leaks. Can someone please tell me WTF and tell me why is all this still classified? This is a guy who's livelyhood is dependend on a continuing war on a nework (General Electric) who's revenue stream is heavily influenced by Dept of Defense expenditures.
Of course the White House is now embarrassed about this , and also predictably they have come out and attacked the person who provided all this information Time to look at this info with a critical eye and see if this effort is worth the price.

Lucky Seven
07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey Roger,

Boy am I glad that the government will be handling our health care records ????? ...... no chance of those being "leaked" I'm sure. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roger Perry
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey Roger,

Boy am I glad that the government will be handling our health care records ????? ...... no chance of those being "leaked" I'm sure. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have so many health problems I cannot get health coverage through any provider so I have to go to the government for health care (VA hospital) so far they have not "leaked" any of my records to anyone to my knowledge.;)

BonMallari
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
I have so many health problems I cannot get health coverage through any provider so I have to go to the government for health care (VA hospital) so far they have not "leaked" any of my records to anyone to my knowledge.;)

Roger , I know you were very open about some of your past medical maladies...but is it because you are considered a patient with "a previous condition" that makes you uninsurable...not trying to pry, I just think that its a crock that ins.companies wont insure someone like you that is in obvious need but so many other scam the system...just not fair..

road kill
07-26-2010, 04:39 PM
If you have served your country you deserve the best healthcare anyone can get.

BTW----Has anyone noticed what a GREAT job President Bush did in cleaning up and up grading the VA hospitals and VA care??

I have.

rk

Doc E
07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
IF these documents are secret or even top secret or even true doesnt bother me as much as how they got the documents.....

Exactly !

firefighter520
07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
If it is true that some in Pakistani government and military were aiding the terrorist, then why the heck are we giving them 50 million tax payer dollars so that they can build a dam?

Paying another country tribute money for thier loyality has never worked in the past. We should have demanded Osama Bin Lauden in exchange for the money!

Our Foreign Policy has never been weaker and instead of playing "nice guy" we should be playing tough. Tough is the only thing these people understand.

And, screw the Liberals, we have committed ZERO war crimes! I don't care what the documents say, this is war not a cocktail party.

We have the best soldiers and finest military in the world and I support them 100%. To buy into this bullshit is beyond my comprehesion as an American!

+1 very well said sir!

YardleyLabs
07-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Interesting take on this in Stratfor (Thanks to RK for introducing this publication to me).

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100726_wikileaks_and_afghan_war?utm_source=GWeek ly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1007027&utm_content=readmore&elq=a401b75522d74d789c7d088fe5d8d2b1

Hew
07-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Interesting take on this in Stratfor (Thanks to RK for introducing this publication to me).

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100726_wikileaks_and_afghan_war?utm_source=GWeek ly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1007027&utm_content=readmore&elq=a401b75522d74d789c7d088fe5d8d2b1
Very interesting article.

Roger Perry
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM

BTW----Has anyone noticed what a GREAT job President Bush did in cleaning up and up grading the VA hospitals and VA care??

I have.

rk

I have always received the best care at the VA Hospital in West Palm Beach no matter who was in office at the time.

But now that you mentioned how much President Bush has up graded the VA hospital and VA care could you please post a link because I was unable to google any information about GW Bush upgrading any VA care. Not trying to be sarcastic but just could not find any information.

Blackstone
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM

I have.

rk

I haven’t had occasion to interact with the VA since my father passed. As I remember, some of the hospitals and services were well run, but others were pretty bad. If Bush got the majority of them cleaned up, my hat is off to him. People that serve this country and are often put in harms way deserve only the best we can provide.

dback
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Very interesting article.

Especially the last sentence.

Hew
07-27-2010, 01:03 PM
And here's another equally interesting column from the other side of the coin:

From WikiLeaks to the Killing Fields

Liberals contemplate withdrawal from Afghanistan, heedless of the consequences

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703700904575390951264307766.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

mjh345
07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Especially the last sentence.

Agreed!!!!

road kill
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I have always received the best care at the VA Hospital in West Palm Beach no matter who was in office at the time.

But now that you mentioned how much President Bush has up graded the VA hospital and VA care could you please post a link because I was unable to google any information about GW Bush upgrading any VA care. Not trying to be sarcastic but just could not find any information.

Don't need a link.
I have witnessed it first hand.

And this one probably won't count anyways;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Reed_Army_Medical_Center_neglect_scandal

rk

Roger Perry
07-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Don't need a link.
I have witnessed it first hand.

And this one probably won't count anyways;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Reed_Army_Medical_Center_neglect_scandal

rk

Like I have said, I have been going to the VA since 1995 and have always been treated with a lot of courtesy and respect and have had the best health care provisions as I had when I went to private doctors when I had health coverage for my bypass surgery. Clinton was in office then and still had excellent treatment when G. W. Bush was in office. I still receive excellent care that Obama is in office so I really have not anything better or worse since I started going there.

road kill
07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Like I have said, I have been going to the VA since 1995 and have always been treated with a lot of courtesy and respect and have had the best health care provisions as I had when I went to private doctors when I had health coverage for my bypass surgery. Clinton was in office then and still had excellent treatment when G. W. Bush was in office. I still receive excellent care that Obama is in office so I really have not anything better or worse since I started going there.

And you deserve that!!

rk