PDA

View Full Version : Where O Where Did The Leaked Oil Go?

Franco
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews_excl/ynews_excl_sc3270

I was down there two weeks a go and didn't see any. Now they have air ships search for spills and can't find any.

Just a few tar balls here and there, that's about it!

dnf777
07-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Due to the millions of gallons of dispersant that was deployed at the well head and surface, much of the oil is resting at the bottom of the gulf and bays, where we don't know exactly what, if any, impact it will have. I fear the greatest damage will be its effect upon the bottom of the food chain...the plankton, and the effect will ripple up the chain.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the "dead zone" in the GOM, resulting from fertilizer runoff out of the Mississippi, and the lack of natural filtration created by flood mgt systems and shipping lanes. This has every bit, if not more harmful effects upon the gulf, and very little is heard of it.

david gibson
07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews_excl/ynews_excl_sc3270

I was down there two weeks a go and didn't see any. Now they have air ships search for spills and can't find any.

Just a few tar balls here and there, that's about it!

its hiding from us in massive globulitic amounts under the surface. even with a density of <1.0 ..... at least thats what they said a few weeks ago.

Captain Mike D
07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Franco,

The 90 degree gulf water and the 95 degree sun is eating it up. Isn't like the Alaska spill at all.

When I spent time in the Caymans, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico all the ocean front bungellos had had a small tub of water and mineral spirits to clean any residual oil off the soles of your feet if you stepped on a tar ball. That was a common occurence. Reefs and pelagicareas were pure and pristine.

The only thing I am worried about are the use of dispersents preventing mother nature from doing her work.

Hope your marshes arepristine in a short

Franco
07-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Franco,

The 90 degree gulf water and the 95 degree sun is eating it up. Isn't like the Alaska spill at all.

When I spent time in the Caymans, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico all the ocean front bungellos had had a small tub of water and mineral spirits to clean any residual oil off the soles of your feet if you stepped on a tar ball. That was a common occurence. Reefs and pelagicareas were pure and pristine.

The only thing I am worried about are the use of dispersents preventing mother nature from doing her work.

Hope your marshes arepristine in a short

Bingo, we have a correct answer!

As far as the Federally approved dispersents, there are 10 remote control subs searching all over the gulf floor looking for any oil that might have settled at the bottom and they can't find any.

The marshes are full with trout and redfish right now. Only long term damage were the oyster beds cause by fresh water from the Miss River to keep the oil from entering deep into the marshes.

There are a lot of very good Charter Boat captains out of Venice waiting to take folks fishing.

Bring on the Teal!

I'll add;

Two weeks ago when the well was capped, they were surprised at how low the pressure was. Which means the amount leaking into the gulf was much smaller than the news media estimates.

What the world saw on TV was the worse of the worse, Pelicans in the outer marshes covered with oil. Today the Pelicans are using the booms as roost!

There was no large fish kill. The dead turtles were cause by drowning, getting caught in tralls scooping oil. Finding half a dozen dead dolphins is normal.

I am just glad we had Cooler Heads reporting the local news and Cooler Heads handling the containment. Louisiana can thank Gov Jindal for being the leader, kicking the butts he had to and rolling up his sleeve and spending weeks down there making sure that we did our best in containment!

badbullgator
07-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Right on Franco
The sky is still over head and has not fallen last I checked. We find dead dolphins and turtles here often. They live and then die, it happens. Did the oil kill some? Sure it did, Did it hurt the population? I doubt it.
Bad news is a best seller and they are still trying to squeeze

ducknwork
07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
gman is really going to hate it when he reads this thread. It seems us 'inland dwellers' weren't so wrong after all.:rolleyes:

Franco
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
gman is really going to hate it when he reads this thread. It seems us 'inland dwellers' weren't so wrong after all.:rolleyes:

Sambo was really upset, he said the fishing was destroyed for good. I hope he doesn't read nola.com's Outdoor Report cause the fishing hasn't been this good in years south of New Orleans.

We need to get the shrimpers out as the cost of fresh shrimp has doubled since we are sending all our shrimp to New Orleans. They need to catch thier own damned shrimp!;-)

badbullgator
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Sambo was really upset, he said the fishing was destroyed for good. I hope he doesn't read nola.com's Outdoor Report cause the fishing hasn't been this good in years south of New Orleans.

We need to get the shrimpers out as the cost of fresh shrimp has doubled since we are sending all our shrimp to New Orleans. They need to catch thier own damned shrimp!;-)

Franco our shrimp have gone up 30 cents/lb. They will not go up more because imported shrimp is too cheap (of course I only eat gulf pinks, that other stuff taste like mud). Most folks don't know the difference between Gulf shrimp and freshwater shrimp so the local guys can't sell it for too much more (didn't old Tony say LA is not the only place they catch shrimp?) Our boats, actually all Gulf shrimpers except the bait trawls, are fishing LA waters this time of year. They have all gone to N. Texas waters but the shrimp are very small this year and very low numbers. I just talked to a buddy last night who just came back from TX with very low numbers. He said they have no option other than to go back to TX and hope the shrimp get bigger and more numerous. He said they will stay until the end of Aug unless something changes as far as open waters go.
You should have seen all the crying down here about how the oil was going to kill the Gulf and our local ecconomy even though we are about 700 miles away. Funny how when something like this happens EVERYBODY becomes an expert in what is going to happen

Buzz
07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
In the optimism department, Franco's cup runneth over.

So, was the BP and government response good or bad?

Was the fed's foot dragging on the building of sand berms correct or a travesty?

Was life as we know it on the gulf coast ended because we didn't get those super tanker skimmers from the middle east here on day one? What ever happened to the whale or whatever?

There was an excellent special on CNN about clean-up efforts. They put a reporter out on a coast guard skimmer, put him on a beach clean-up crew, sent him out with biologists who were capturing soiled birds to get them cleaned up. I did not see comparable coverage anywhere. Did anyone see it, or were all eyes glued to FOX News?

badbullgator
07-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Franco
you still have a few of these around? We sure do

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs113.ash2/38987_140526675976310_100000569343573_297665_60728 _n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=66719&id=100000569343573)

Franco
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
That is the perfect size for catching and eatin'. We caught 3 that size two weeks ago and also got into some bull reds, 20lbs but decide to leave that area in search of better eating fish.

But, you have to love the fight in Reds, they make Bass fishing look tame.

Jacob Hawkes
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Well, it's a Louisiana thing about being optimistic. There's a lot of great things about God's Country. :cool::cool:

ducknwork
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Franco our shrimp have gone up 30 cents/lb.

We just bought a bunch of beautiful NC shrimp for 3.00/lb. Can't beat that with a stick!

Jacob Hawkes
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM
That is the perfect size for catching and eatin'. We caught 3 that size two weeks ago and also got into some bull reds, 20lbs but decide to leave that area in search of better eating fish.

But, you have to love the fight in Reds, they make Bass fishing look tame.

Eh, I kinda got spoiled this spring. We ripped all these pike in a stretch of maybe 200 yards. A lil over an hour if I recall correctly. We caught almost twice as many the next time we went but only kept 3 (Gill hooked.).

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/COONASSDH/1275019706.jpg

Franco
07-29-2010, 10:53 AM

So, was the BP and government response good or bad?

Was the fed's foot dragging on the building of sand berms correct or a travesty?

Was life as we know it on the gulf coast ended because we didn't get those super tanker skimmers from the middle east here on day one? What ever happened to the whale or whatever?

There was an excellent special on CNN about clean-up efforts. They put a reporter out on a coast guard skimmer, put him on a beach clean-up crew, sent him out with biologists who were capturing soiled birds to get them cleaned up. I did not see comparable coverage anywhere. Did anyone see it, or were all eyes glued to FOX News?

First, the oil leaking in the gulf is different than the Alaska oil spilled by the Valdez. Our light crude is much more likely to be dessimated by our brutal sun and microbes.

BP response was good. They put a lot of money behind it and though some mistakes were made, they did learn from them and got better as this disaster went on.

Fed's foot dragging was in not lifting the Jones Act in our accepting containment help from the beginning. Some sand berms helped and some didn't. Diverting water into the marshes help keep the intrusion to a minimum, though at the cost of our oyster beds. It will take two years of the beds to recover.

The Whale was too big to manuver. The smaller containment ships worked best.

As far as La. goes, thank Rama for Bobby Jindal! He kept EVERYONE on their toes. Any small mistakes he made in judgement were overcome by his passion and tenacity.

road kill
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Eh, I kinda got spoiled this spring. We ripped all these pike in a stretch of maybe 200 yards. A lil over an hour if I recall correctly. We caught almost twice as many the next time we went but only kept 3 (Gill hooked.).

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/COONASSDH/1275019706.jpg

Those are BABY Northern Pike, right???

Muskie bait??

rk:D

badbullgator
07-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Muskie bait??

:D:D:D:D:D

pike....lol

Jacob Hawkes
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Muskie bait??

LOL. I donno. Was the 1st ever pike trip. The guys from work who invited us to their farm in SD said they were good size. Lil less than a 6 pound average. For a lil while 2 of us (A buddy and myself.) didn't have time to make a cast or even have a swallow of beer. We were too busy taking "Snakes" off for them and putting em on the stringer. "That's the one" (Our saying when we hook one.) regards. :razz::razz:

Jacob Hawkes
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

pike....lol

Hey, it's a lot of fun.

road kill
07-29-2010, 12:20 PM
LOL. I donno. Was the 1st ever pike trip. The guys from work who invited us to their farm in SD said they were good size. Lil less than a 6 pound average. For a lil while 2 of us (A buddy and myself.) didn't have time to make a cast or even have a swallow of beer. We were too busy taking "Snakes" off for them and putting em on the stringer. "That's the one" (Our saying when we hook one.) regards. :razz::razz:

Looks like a nice day fisihin!!:D

stan b

Jacob Hawkes
07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
It was a nice evening for sure. We don't have anything like that down here. They are ultra predatorial & territorial. A lot of fun when you get into them like we did that day and the next week. Maybe I'll go walleye fishing one day if I go back up during a decent time of the year.

Roger Perry
07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

What's worse, the righties won't have anything to blame on Obama.:shock::shock:

Buzz
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM

In SD? Care to say where they were caught?

I normally fish in Minnesota...

Jacob Hawkes
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I think it's 30 + miles west of Watertown. Don't quote me on it. I'll have to ask them this evening.

ducknwork
07-29-2010, 02:23 PM
What's worse, the righties won't have anything to blame on Obama.:shock::shock:

O couldn't have been to blame for the spill anyway. But don't worry Rog, there will be plenty of other things that are his fault.

badbullgator
07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
O couldn't have been to blame for the spill anyway. But don't worry Rog, there will be plenty of other things that are his fault.

No, no, no, no, no! DNW you must remember Rogers rule number one....All Bush's fault. Rule two- refer to rule 1. Nothing will be obongo's fault because Bush has caused everything bad for decades to come.

YardleyLabs
07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
No, no, no, no, no! DNW you must remember Rogers rule number one....All Bush's fault. Rule two- refer to rule 1. Nothing will be obongo's fault because Bush has caused everything bad for decades to come.
Be honest Corey. If McCain had been elected, you guys would still be blaming Clinton.:)

JDogger
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
....and in 2013 some us will be blaming the new ninney.

The more things change the more they stay the same regards, :(

BonMallari
07-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Be honest Corey. If McCain had been elected, you guys would still be blaming Clinton.:)

....and in 2013 some us will be blaming the new ninney.

The more things change the more they stay the same regards, :(

what if the new POTUS is the other Clinton as in Hilary...who do we get to kick then ???:confused:

JDogger
07-29-2010, 08:53 PM
what if the new POTUS is the other Clinton as in Hilary...who do we get to kick then ???:confused:

Ourselves...squarely in the ass...but it's always someone else's fault you know. :rolleyes: 'Tis the nature of the game.

JD

Ken Bora
07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
.... Maybe I'll go walleye fishing one day if I go back up during a decent time of the year.

Remember to keep the cheeks.
Cast iron pan with butter and walleye cheeks on a rocky cold water beach;-)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

paul young
07-30-2010, 05:15 AM
once you've had Walleye, you'll throw rocks at pike!

must have been a really fun day, though! looks like where you fished needed some fish harvested. gotta thin the "herd" to get some BIG ones!-Paul

Jacob Hawkes
07-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Remember to keep the cheeks.
Cast iron pan with butter and walleye cheeks on a rocky cold water beach;-)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sounds good. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

road kill
07-30-2010, 12:28 PM

must have been a really fun day, though! looks like where you fished needed some fish harvested. gotta thin the "herd" to get some BIG ones!-Paul
When ice fishing, a big ol' northern is excellent table faire.
We like to wrap them in foil, soak them in butter, lemon juice & Italian dressing and cook them on an open fire or a charcoal grill.

It is truly one of my favorite fish to eat.

stan b

Jacob Hawkes
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM

I heard walleye were close to crappie/white perch/sac-a-lait as far as eating.

All the pike in that 1 picture & most of the ones we caught the next time (After our buddy's nephew and brother ripped them an hour or 2 before we got there.) were from "Alligator Alley". Just a cut or cove off the lake.

badbullgator
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM

McCain was not my man and never will be. They would not have spent nearly as much money as obongo has but I am not sure he would have us much better off than we are now. He was the lesser of two evils I guess. I have no problem blaming Bush, Clinton or any one else for what they actually did, unlike Roger who blames EVERYTHING on Bush and in fact gets a stiffy over doing so

dnf777
08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Looks like well-kill is finally working! Early yet, but fingers are crossed.

Gerry Clinchy
08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Equally important, Mother Nature seems to be doing a good job of cleaning up.

dnf777
08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Equally important, Mother Nature seems to be doing a good job of cleaning up.

She's used to cleaning up after us. We keep a messy house.

Franco
08-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm just glad cooler heads prevailed and as a state we have the leadership we have.

Oil stopped leaking 3 weeks ago. 80% or more has either been cleaned up or evaporated. Huge samples of fish in the affected areas are testing clean. Fishing is good to great and commercial fishing is reopened. Football season is right around the corner. Now, we just need to get the drilling ban lifted so folks can go back to work or return home from oil jobs overseas.