PDA

View Full Version : $7 million dollar yachts

dnf777
07-31-2010, 07:24 AM
Hey everybody! John Kerry just bought a yacht for 7 mil, and still claims to be in touch with his electorate.

I thought it would be nice to start a thread amongst ourselves, so we could discuss all of OUR $7 million dollar yachts. You know, things like where can we dock them to avoid harbor taxes. Of course, we could do like Kerry did, and just give the state a check for half a million dollars to end the controversy. Lets talk about what fine art to hang in the parlors...or what fine chinawear to serve our caviar upon. What nationality makes the best stewards and servants on yachts?

Don't feel bad if you only have a $5 million yacht, we won't laugh, times are tough....

who's first?

Jim Person
07-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Anothr sad thing is he bought it in New Zealand, when there are many yacht and boat companies in Ma., Me., R.I., Ct., N.Y. etc. that I am sure could have used a $7 mil boost.

dnf777
07-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Anothr sad thing is he bought it in New Zealand, when there are many yacht and boat companies in Ma., Me., R.I., Ct., N.Y. etc. that I am sure could have used a $7 mil boost.

Yeah. But that class of ruling wealth transcends national boarders. It doesn't matter whether its a Dutch shipping conglomerate, a Japanese electronics firm, French nuclear consultants, or Zealie mega-yacht builders......they sip their Absinthe in whatever corner of the globe is in season, national boundaries be damned. You and I weren't born into that realm, and as such, will have to work all our lives to support those above us, and those below us. Now get back to work! They're depending on you!

road kill
07-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I do not begrudge him his toys.
I have a few of my own, granted, not $7mil, but they are worth that to me.

He is a jackazz though!!:D

RK

dixidawg
07-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, after all he made his money the hard way......

He married it. Theresa Hienz, aka the ketchup queen.

subroc
07-31-2010, 08:30 AM
fine art to me is a ducks unlimited print.

fine art to me is a beretta shotgun.

as far a kerry, his yacht and how he spends his money, that is up to him. how the voters in Mass. view it is up to them.

Jim makes an excellent point though.

subroc
07-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah. But that class of ruling wealth transcends national boarders. It doesn't matter whether its a Dutch shipping conglomerate, a Japanese electronics firm, French nuclear consultants, or Zealie mega-yacht builders......they sip their Absinthe in whatever corner of the globe is in season, national boundaries be damned. You and I weren't born into that realm, and as such, will have to work all our lives to support those above us, and those below us. Now get back to work! They're depending on you!

I expect he is one of your guys. you seem to know what and how they think. I expect you voted for the man for president.

Gerry Clinchy
07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
I wonder if the yacht is powered by an alternative energy source? :-)

dixidawg
07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Hot air. No shortage of that when he's on board.

BonMallari
07-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah, after all he made his money the hard way......

He married it. Theresa Hienz, aka the ketchup queen.

She inherited her money from the late Senator J. Heinz....a Republican...he must be rolling over in his grave

YardleyLabs
07-31-2010, 10:30 AM
She inherited her money from the late Senator J. Heinz....a Republican...he must be rolling over in his grave
Her husband may have been a Republican, but he would be less welcome in today's Republican party than Olivia Snow or Arlen Specter.

ducknwork
07-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I wish he would have bought a Hatteras from good ol' NC. Maybe then my dad wouldn't have gotten laid off from a job he loved after 32 years.

As far as my yacht goes, it 16 ft, made of aluminum and will have duck blood stains before much longer. My seat even has a cushion. And there is a comfortable place for my dog to ride. The only bad thing is that I don't have enough decoys to fill it up now that I got rid of my 14 ft. Guess I'll have to buy a few more! You can have all that fancy crap.

road kill
07-31-2010, 11:17 AM
I wish he would have bought a Hatteras from good ol' NC. Maybe then my dad wouldn't have gotten laid off from a job he loved after 32 years.

As far as my yacht goes, it 16 ft, made of aluminum and will have duck blood stains before much longer. My seat even has a cushion. And there is a comfortable place for my dog to ride. The only bad thing is that I don't have enough decoys to fill it up now that I got rid of my 14 ft. Guess I'll have to buy a few more! You can have all that fancy crap.

Hahahaha!!!!

I have a 16' Olde Towne canoe!!
(the seat ain't cushioned!!)

RK

ducknwork
07-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Hahahaha!!!!

I have a 16' Olde Towne canoe!!
(the seat ain't cushioned!!)

RK

Canoe=good way to go for an unintended swim:o

road kill
07-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Canoe=good way to go for an unintended swim:o

I hunt an estuary in lake MI in Door County WI.
We just go for a short ride.
No decoys as it is mostly pass shooting.

I love to fish out of it though.
Quiet, silent, little bit of excercise.

Also this boat is pretty wide for stability so Elvis doesn't dump us when he gets all jacked up.

It's just a thing I have about canoes, I think they are cool.
Alternate fuel technology!!!:D

RK

dnf777
07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I expect he is one of your guys. you seem to know what and how they think. I expect you voted for the man for president.

You totally miss the point. The ultra wealthy, be they democrats or republicans sit on their yachts and watch us with that type of petty attack, while they rob us blind!

In case you've forgotten, and think wealth is limited to democrats, Reagan had a horse ranch in prime California real-estate. Bush I and Bush II share a vacation retreat in prime Maine coastal real estate. (and ski on a Saudi privately owned mountain which used to be a ski resort, but now is a private playground) and let's come up to date...as recent as last election....I'd tell you how McCain married into wealth (not ketchup queen, but not shabby) and has too many houses to keep count of.

My point was, that BOTH democrats and republicans in congress are for the most part, completely out of touch with the rest of us.

And RK, I don't begrudge anyone their toys....if I was married to THK, I'd own a 7 million dollar chassis mount myself.

subroc
07-31-2010, 01:05 PM
see, I don't begrudge people their wealth. your attempt to create some bond between you and I based on class won't work. I don't like the guy because he is a dirt bag, a democrat, a left wing radical extremist, a progressive or a liberal not because he is wealthy. I disagree with his politics. you advocate politics similar if not identical to the man. keep your bond strong.

I advocate earned wealth for all.

I expect they are out of touch. but his politics is what I disagree with, not his wealth.

dnf777
07-31-2010, 01:34 PM
I advocate earned wealth for all.

I expect they are out of touch. but his politics is what I disagree with, not his wealth.

You think he "earned" his wealth?? We'll have to disagree on that one!

I don't begrudge people wealth either. Hell, I wish I was rich! By some standards I am. By others, I'm poor. Its irrelevant.

My only point is, how can someone who parks a 7 mil yacht understand what its like to raid the sofa cushions for trip to the grocery store? Do they understand about having your unemployment benefits about to run out? I'm not talking about welfare rats....I'm talking about people who had yacht companies in the USA shut down, or tv factories moved overseas, or glass plants in Clarion shut down due to NAFTA. If you're spending time researching which harbors can accomodate a 76' boat, and has the lowest harbor taxes, you probably aren't even aware the problems middle class America is facing.

ducknwork
07-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Soooo...anyway, about that duck blood. Anybody ready for early goose?:D

Jim Person
07-31-2010, 01:51 PM
The kerry's also own a gulfstream jet as well. I don't begrudge them for having money.. I do think he is a fool,that I have never voted for... I have written sen kerry many times and at best i have gotten a form letter stating his policies on everything but what I had referenced in my letters.. While we're talking fools , did anyone see Barney Frank making a big scene about not getting a senior discount on a long island ferry (boat) ticket.. It would be a breath of fresh air if these dim wits ( I'm referring to both parties here) actually read a bill that they voted on too...

road kill
07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know where Kerry is keeping his yacht??
Not in MA I read, know why???

Something to do with the high tax rate in MA???

RK

gman0046
07-31-2010, 04:56 PM
The sad part of the whole issue is "Horse Face" actually ran for president.

M&K's Retrievers
07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
My "yacht" was a 23' Falcon used for stripper fishing on Lake Texoma. A far cry from $7 Mil.:D Sold that puppy last spring. A guy called last spring while I was turkey hunting and wanted it more than I did.

road kill
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
My "yacht" was a 23' Falcon used for stripper fishing on Lake Texoma. A far cry from $7 Mil.:D Sold that puppy last spring. A guy called last spring while I was turkey hunting and wanted it more than I did.
What are the 2 best days of a boat owners life??:D

RK

dixidawg
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Catch any strippers? I hear dollar bills work best as bait!

dnf777
07-31-2010, 06:30 PM

RK

1) the day you buy it

2) the day you donate it for a hefty tax deduction to the Republican National Yacht Club for underprivelaged millionaires?

:D:D:D

M&K's Retrievers
07-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Catch any strippers? I hear dollar bills work best as bait!

That was the unique thing about this boat. You see it had this tall pole on the bow right by the bait tank. When the girls weren't using it, you could remove it so you could throw for bait and not get the cast net tangled up.

When my daughter was in college she worked as a teller at the drive in window at the bank. Friday was a big day because guys would come by and get a stack of 50 $1 bills commonly referred to as their Butt Stuffing Money. I believe this is a common banking term.:cool:

road kill
07-31-2010, 07:02 PM
1) the day you buy it

2) the day you donate it for a hefty tax deduction to the Republican National Yacht Club for underprivelaged millionaires?

:D:D:D

Is that what you think Kerry will do with his??

RK

M&K's Retrievers
07-31-2010, 10:49 PM

RK

Actually, there are several. The day you buy it, the day you sell it and those days someone pays you to take them fishing and your back at the dock and finished cleaning by 8:00.:D:D:D

badbullgator
08-01-2010, 12:46 PM
You totally miss the point. The ultra wealthy, be they democrats or republicans sit on their yachts and watch us with that type of petty attack, while they rob us blind!

In case you've forgotten, and think wealth is limited to democrats, Reagan had a horse ranch in prime California real-estate. Bush I and Bush II share a vacation retreat in prime Maine coastal real estate. (and ski on a Saudi privately owned mountain which used to be a ski resort, but now is a private playground) and let's come up to date...as recent as last election....I'd tell you how McCain married into wealth (not ketchup queen, but not shabby) and has too many houses to keep count of.

My point was, that BOTH democrats and republicans in congress are for the most part, completely out of touch with the rest of us.

And RK, I don't begrudge anyone their toys....if I was married to THK, I'd own a 7 million dollar chassis mount myself.

Hey if I had that knid on money you can bet my yacht would be located some place that had very low to no taxs and probably would not even be registered in the US for that very reason. I bet there is not a person on here that does not take advantage of every tax break they can get. You don't put the max in your IRA to avoid paying taxes do you? I know a lot of people with land in GA because the taxes are cheaper there than here. Nothing wrong with trying to keep your money.
That said I do with he had have spent his money on an American Build boat.

badbullgator
08-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Was it Ben Franklin that said it was every americans duty to pay as little tax as possible? Just because he's wealthy doesn't mean he's obligated to pay as much as he can in tax's. I agree about American made though, who builds a better boat?
Walt

Exactly. If MA would cut its tax rate maybe he would dock it there.

dnf777
08-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I agree about American made though, who builds a better boat?
Walt

We used to make the best of a lot of things. Sadly, though, I don't think that's true anymore. I'm willing to pay extra for a good American spun wool shirt. To my disappointment, both Filson and Woolrich are made overseas now. Only a very select few items are made here anymore, even for someone willing to pay a little extra for American-made.

Boats? I don't know. But on the "mega yachts" shows, it seems like all the state of the art, high-tech yachts are Dutch or Asian built now.

I think we still beat out AirBus for now, but think of how many aircraft companies we used to have....and how few are left.

We no longer have the world's tallest skyscraper.....or second tallest. We don't have the fastest trains......just the slowest still running on Civil War era rail technology.

The French have passed us on particle technology. We're falling behind on wind power and solar.

We better get our asses in gear!

badbullgator
08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
We used to make the best of a lot of things. Sadly, though, I don't think that's true anymore. I'm willing to pay extra for a good American spun wool shirt. To my disappointment, both Filson and Woolrich are made overseas now. Only a very select few items are made here anymore, even for someone willing to pay a little extra for American-made.

Boats? I don't know. But on the "mega yachts" shows, it seems like all the state of the art, high-tech yachts are Dutch or Asian built now.

I think we still beat out AirBus for now, but think of how many aircraft companies we used to have....and how few are left.

We no longer have the world's tallest skyscraper.....or second tallest. We don't have the fastest trains......just the slowest still running on Civil War era rail technology.

The French have passed us on particle technology. We're falling behind on wind power and solar.

We better get our asses in gear!

You would have to wonder if that is because of the business environment in the US. Have we lost much of this because of taxes, EPA, and other regulations?
As far as yacht builders there are still some good US builders to deal with.
Viking makes a fine boat as does Millennium in Palm Beach Florida. You really can't do much better than one built by Christensen boatyards, also in the US (WA I believe, but could actually be in Canada) and of course Hatteras makes a pretty fair boat as well. Burger was founded in the US in the late 1800's closed at one point in the 80's or 90's and has come back to be one the the world leader in yacht building. Still many more have closed up or moved building opperations overseas. You would have to question why they would move overseas.....

Hew
08-02-2010, 06:43 AM
The rest of us? You've been on two vacations to the coast in the past few months. Given yours and your wife's occupation, you likely have a household income in the top 1 or 2% of the country and make more money than most Congressmen. If how much you earn or what you can afford to buy defines us or determines our level of empathy then YOU aren't like the rest of us, either.

It really boggles the mind that you, of all people, play into and foment class envy. Do you think because you went to school and worked hard that you're unique and everybody else who is wealthy either inherited their golden ticket or screwed others out of their money by gaming an unfair system? 4 out 5 millionaires are self-made. When they die should they (and you) not be able to pass the fruits of their labor to their children? A $7 million yacht might seem crazy to you, but I assure you that your toys/lifestyle would seem like crazy overkill to MANY Americans that aren't in the top 2% income bracket. And the lifestyle of most Americans would seem gaudy to a Darfurian refugee. It's all about perspective.

dnf777
08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
The rest of us? You've been on two vacations to the coast in the past few months. Given yours and your wife's occupation, you likely have a household income in the top 1 or 2% of the country and make more money than most Congressmen. If how much you earn or what you can afford to buy defines us or determines our level of empathy then YOU aren't like the rest of us, either.

It really boggles the mind that you, of all people, play into and foment class envy. Do you think because you went to school and worked hard that you're unique and everybody else who is wealthy either inherited their golden ticket or screwed others out of their money by gaming an unfair system? 4 out 5 millionaires are self-made. When they die should they (and you) not be able to pass the fruits of their labor to their children? A $7 million yacht might seem crazy to you, but I assure you that your toys/lifestyle would seem like crazy overkill to MANY Americans that aren't in the top 2% income bracket. And the lifestyle of most Americans would seem gaudy to a Darfurian refugee. It's all about perspective.

Hew, I'll bet you've been hunting more in the last season that I have since I turned 20! I'm not going to whine and play into your trap, but lets just say that between med school, army, residency and fellowship....now that I'm 42, I can afford to take vacations (and have the ability to control my schedule) like many of the people I've worked for and with, and I'm greatful for it.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over this, its' beneath you. If being a surgeon is so cushy and easy, I invite you to go for it. I'll even write you letters if you'd like. Hope you don't mind 100+ hour weeks and one day off per month to get in all your hunting trips, dog training and vacations. You can have the last word on this one. Once again, you've taken it personal, and I'm not playing that game.

badbullgator
08-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Hew, I'll bet you've been hunting more in the last season that I have since I turned 20! I'm not going to whine and play into your trap, but lets just say that between med school, army, residency and fellowship....now that I'm 42, I can afford to take vacations (and have the ability to control my schedule) like many of the people I've worked for and with, and I'm greatful for it.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over this, its' beneath you. If being a surgeon is so cushy and easy, I invite you to go for it. I'll even write you letters if you'd like. Hope you don't mind 100+ hour weeks and one day off per month to get in all your hunting trips, dog training and vacations. You can have the last word on this one. Once again, you've taken it personal, and I'm not playing that game.

I don't think he ever said it was easy......just lucrative;-)
BTW- HEW do you train dogs????? :D

ducknwork
08-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Ummm...He didn't attack any of the things that you got defensive about. Not even one. All he said was that your income is close to tops in the country. We don't know you, or your finances, and it's not right to pry or judge, but you probably can't argue that point. It's just a little humorous to hear someone who has at least a 6 figure income complaining about those damn rich guys!

Don't worry, this 5 figure guy won't hold it against you, Goldfinger!

Hew
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM

I don't begrudge you (or anyone else) one single penny you make. You earn it and probably more. But you seem to presume all those richy riches with their "obscene" (I believe is the word you once used) incomes didn't/don't work just as hard as you do or didn't lay their testicles on the betting table. No, they're all Thurston Howell III and you're slaving in the salt mines for your pittance. I'm just providing you with a reminder that as you gin up populist "us vs. them" pap, that in the eyes of most Americans (and 97% of Democrats) you're on of "them;" not one of "us."

Hew
08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
BTW- HEW do you train dogs????? :D
Just Doxiepoos, and they usually train me. ;-)

dnf777
08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
You guys are all so primed for a fight, you can't even stay focused.

I NEVER begrudged anyone their wealth. My point was is that at some point, you lose touch with the people you're legislating over. Especially if you inherit or marry your fortunes...and never worked for it.

I have a patient with Alzheimer's who really needs to be put in a home where he can safely live out his days. If he goes in, his wife loses his SS, and she loses the house. Nice choice. When you own 12 houses or a $7 million toy, I'm not sure you can still relate to that.

troy schwab
08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I have a patient with Alzheimer's who really needs to be put in a home where he can safely live out his days. If he goes in, his wife loses his SS, and she loses the house. Nice choice. When you own 12 houses or a $7 million toy, I'm not sure you can still relate to that.

Unfortunate ..... YES! Do I as a taxpayer, feel the need to pony up for it. Hardly! I may be, god forbid, in that same situation someday. But I would never ask another to pay for my situation. If thats the kind of relation you are looking for, you wont find it with me........

troy schwab
08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
My point was is that at some point, you lose touch with the people you're legislating over. Especially if you inherit or marry your fortunes...and never worked for it.

Im pretty sure that time is when any politican gets elected..........

DC dirtbag regards.....

dnf777
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Unfortunate ..... YES! Do I as a taxpayer, feel the need to pony up for it. Hardly! I may be, god forbid, in that same situation someday. But I would never ask another to pay for my situation. If thats the kind of relation you are looking for, you wont find it with me........

Troy,
I hear where you're coming from. But remember, the price of ONE smart bomb, would put both of our parents and grandparents in a comfortable, dignified abode with compassionate care. If we can find it in our hearts to borrow money to bomb people into the stone age, surely we can take care of our own elderly, who have worked and paid their dues also?

I hope you never find youself in that position, as you mentioned, but if you do, I pray that someone with a little compassion is calling the shots, preferably a democrat or new independent, so you will be cared for. (I assume you're pulling your own weight, and saving for retirement, right?) ;)

troy schwab
08-03-2010, 07:13 AM
DNF,
Yes, I am pulling my own weight... and struggling to do that just like most working americans. My 401k isnt performing so hot...... but whos is??? I agree with much of what you said, but keep this tidbit in mind. When the unemployment was running out for millions of americans.... this brainy legislation decided to send $500 million to Pakistan to build dams. Little late huh???? What the hell am I supposed to think when our administration is that ignorant to its own people? I could cite thousands of bullcrap programs that this administration has funded. Im not saying former administrations didnt do it also. But not when the financial situation is in the current state it is in now. We need to be fiscally responsible more than ever..... and Im fed up with the government deciding where my money needs to go. Oh, and they are gonna want a lot more of my check in the near future. Sorry, but on this side of the fence..... the grass aint so green.

dnf777
08-03-2010, 07:32 AM
DNF,
Yes, I am pulling my own weight... and struggling to do that just like most working americans. My 401k isnt performing so hot...... but whos is??? I agree with much of what you said, but keep this tidbit in mind. When the unemployment was running out for millions of americans.... this brainy legislation decided to send $500 million to Pakistan to build dams. Little late huh???? What the hell am I supposed to think when our administration is that ignorant to its own people? I could cite thousands of bullcrap programs that this administration has funded. Im not saying former administrations didnt do it also. But not when the financial situation is in the current state it is in now. We need to be fiscally responsible more than ever..... and Im fed up with the government deciding where my money needs to go. Oh, and they are gonna want a lot more of my check in the near future. Sorry, but on this side of the fence..... the grass aint so green.

We can agree on that! The polls reflect this also. When the dems start acting like republicans, (billions of our dollars to rebuild middle east, deny unemployment, etc...) the people get sick of it real quick. They thought they voted out the republican congress and president, but are just getting more of the same. Time is right for an independent!

gman0046
08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Remember during Kerry's campaign they went to a fast food restaurant, and placed a to go order. They then left and went to a country club for lunch after throwing the fast food order in the trash. People like Kerry and Terasa don't even eat the same food we do. How can they relate to the average American. I wish I had Kerry's problem of paying taxes on a 7 million dollar yacht.