PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive DAs?

dnf777
08-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that more and more, seemingly "accidents" are getting criminally charged with criminal offenses? I'm not referring to Duke Lacrosse situations....but on your local news, does it seem that car wrecks (with NO alcohol involved) are being charged more with vehicular homicide or manslaughter? Boating or hunting accidents? Home fires, when NO criminal intent of arson is involved? Just seems like what used to be considered "tragic accidents" are now being treated as crimes.

What brought this to mind, was a plane crash recently, where the FAA ruled it an accident, then the local authorities started in on "reckless endangerment" and other similar charges against the guy. Even with prison overcrowding and early release, the DAs seem more than happy to put "non-criminals" in jail.

YardleyLabs
08-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that more and more, seemingly "accidents" are getting criminally charged with criminal offenses? I'm not referring to Duke Lacrosse situations....but on your local news, does it seem that car wrecks (with NO alcohol involved) are being charged more with vehicular homicide or manslaughter? Boating or hunting accidents? Home fires, when NO criminal intent of arson is involved? Just seems like what used to be considered "tragic accidents" are now being treated as crimes.

What brought this to mind, was a plane crash recently, where the FAA ruled it an accident, then the local authorities started in on "reckless endangerment" and other similar charges against the guy. Even with prison overcrowding and early release, the DAs seem more than happy to put "non-criminals" in jail.
We don't have accidents any more. Everything bad that happens is someone's fault and they must be made to pay....

Franco
08-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Yet, the Dems do not want to address Tort Reform because Trial Lawyers are major contributors to the Dems.

Buzz
08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Yet, the Dems do not want to address Tort Reform because Trial Lawyers are major contributors to the Dems.

I don't understand what this has to do with tort reform.

These are not civil cases, they are criminal cases...

Of course, once criminal charges are brought, a civil case can't be far off.

subroc
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
We don't have accidents any more. Everything bad that happens is someone's fault and they must be made to pay....

Thanks for stating your left wing radical extremist position clearly.

ducknwork
08-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for stating your left wing radical extremist position clearly.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. If so, I agree. If not, I'm disgusted.

Hew
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Interesting perspective from someone cheering for criminal charges against BP execs.

M&K's Retrievers
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM

It's just you.

subroc
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM

I, on the other hand, believe that is what he believes. If he wasn’t a left wing radical extremist, I would give the benefit of the doubt to sarcasm. That is, after all, a left wing tenet, someone else is always responsible for others.

BonMallari
08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
many DA's are political climbers, they want to establish a "tough on crime record" for when they run for more ambitious offices.they also seem to shoot for the moon on charges and settle for slaps on the wrists, and their excuse is usually that they didnt want to waste the taxpayer's money on a lengthy trial...

Franco
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't understand what this has to do with tort reform.

These are not civil cases, they are criminal cases...

Of course, once criminal charges are brought, a civil case can't be far off.

Correct, a high percentage of cases where the city or state fails to make thier case, the Defendant will take them to Civil Court.

YardleyLabs
08-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, I was being sarcastic. Too often we forget how short the distance can be between "Damn, I'm good (or lucky)" and "Oh crud, I hope we all live through this one.":D Somewhere, deep in the bowels of BP, there is a guy saying "Well, it always worked before."

Roger Perry
08-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks for stating your right wing radical extremist position clearly.:rolleyes:

Hew
08-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Done with this thread already, DNF? Gee, I was really hoping to hear how you reconcile your previous calls for criminal charges for BP executives and the kids who made the Acorn tapes against your opinions on this thread.

dnf777
08-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Done with this thread already, DNF? Gee, I was really hoping to hear how you reconcile your previous calls for criminal charges for BP executives and the kids who made the Acorn tapes against your opinions on this thread.

Gee, I can reconcile it with the American Justice System. When an alleged crime is committed, an impartial jurist, usually an ADA will review the circumstances, and if enough evidence is present, will convene a grand jury to determine whether the case should go to trial.

If you made a bad decision to run a red light, and killed a BP executive in the accident, you would likely be brought up on charges, now wouldn't you? I think the reports of bypassing safety regs and industry recommendations in order to make profit goals, and the ensuing accident that claimed 11 lives at least warrants a second sniff, wouldn't you?

Ditto for the Acorn tapes.

Thank you for turning this into a political issue. That was in no way the intent of this thread. I just seem to notice that much of what used to be "accidents", where sure, you pay restitution and damages, now has turned into much more aggressive CRIMINAL prosecutions, and am wondering why.

Hew
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you for turning this into a political issue. It's not a political issue; it's a hypocrisy issue. You know, that word you're so fond of applying to others. That was in no way the intent of this thread. Well of course not...who would want their double standard exposed? I just seem to notice that much of what used to be "accidents", where sure, you pay restitution and damages, now has turned into much more aggressive CRIMINAL prosecutions, and am wondering why. You worried that you might have left a sponge in somebody's pooper? "Nurse, don't give me any lip! I said close him up right now; I gotta hurry up and get outta here...somebody on the internet is wrong and I have to set them straight!" ;-)

dnf777
08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
You worried that you might have left a sponge in somebody's pooper? "Nurse, don't give me any lip! I said close him up right now; I gotta hurry up and get outta here...somebody on the internet is wrong and I have to set them straight!"

Getting a little personal aren't we?
Guess you're out of things to say, so you resort to your typical personal attack mode.

Knock yourself out big boy. You're safe as long as you pose with dead alligators and bark via the computer screen!

I do not, and will not run to moderators whining about what people say. But if you make claims of medical negligence or malpractice on a public forum in regards to my medical practice, that can quite possibly affect my reputation and business, and the record is there for all to see and review. You better be careful....I'm not a stuffed animal you can pose with. Stick to the matter at hand, if you can. If not, leave my professional and personal life out of your posts. And I have every right to tell you that.

ducknwork
08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Easy buddy...it was a joke...and everyone knew it (even you;)). We all know that you are the greatest butt doctor in the history of butt doctors and one little funny isn't going to change our opinion of you or your stellar reputation!

Hew
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
LOL. Two challenges to beat someone up in as many days AND a lawsuit threat? Someone is wound a little tight.

If I tell you that you can kiss my arse would you consider that personal or professional? Or both?

dnf777
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
LOL. Two challenges to beat someone up in as many days AND a lawsuit threat? Someone is wound a little tight.

If I tell you that you can kiss my arse would you consider that personal or professional? Or both?

You may tell me to kiss your arse all you want, but I'm not going to fulfill any of your fantasies!

dnf777
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Easy buddy...it was a joke...and everyone knew it (even you;)). We all know that you are the greatest butt doctor in the history of butt doctors and one little funny isn't going to change our opinion of you or your stellar reputation!

There are things you don't joke about. Especially in public forums. Keep your eyes open and you'll see those type of comments can travel far further than intended, and can reap severe cosequences.

There are certain lines you don't cross, especially on a public forum, with someone you don't even know. Some people are too stupid or too egotistical to know that however.

Are certain people too stupid or lacking in substantive things to say, they can only resort to personal attacks?

M&K's Retrievers
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

dnf777
08-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Not anymore. I'm just going to act like the rest of the retards who get off to personal slights, as if that's supposed to impress us! And I'm going to call a tard a tard, and not worry about politeness or courtesy any more than the rest of us. So screw you and the horse you rode into town with!

M&K's Retrievers
08-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Not anymore. I'm just going to act like the rest of the retards who get off to personal slights, as if that's supposed to impress us! And I'm going to call a tard a tard, and not worry about politeness or courtesy any more than the rest of us. So screw you and the horse you rode into town with!

Does this mean your not going to get on the Fantasy Football league?

road kill
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Does this mean your not going to get on the Fantasy Football league?

If he keeps this up ("So screw you and the horse you rode into town with!") I may have to suspend him for 6 weeks, like his homeboy, Big Ben!!;-)

RK

ducknwork
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
If he keeps this up ("So screw you and the horse you rode into town with!") I may have to suspend him for 6 weeks, like his homeboy, Big Ben!!;-)

RK

Aw crap. You have that kind of authority?

Doh!

road kill
08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Aw crap. You have that kind of authority?

Doh!

Well YEAH!!

If he is going to try to steal my horse away!!:D

RK

ducknwork
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Well YEAH!!

If he is going to try to steal my horse away!!:D

RK

Steal?:confused: Who said anything about stealing?

I thought he was going to have relations with your horse?:o

POTUS is getting more and more confusing as the day wears on...:(

dnf777
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Here's a prime example of what I'm talking about. Anyone think this guy deserved to spend 2 years in the slammer? Even without the Toyota accelerator issue, I don't see why this guy is locked up? Horrible accident...yes. Crime? No.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TOYOTA_FATAL_CRASH?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT