PDA

View Full Version : Whew! I can sleep good tonight!

ducknwork
08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
This is great news, fellas! I know we were all deeply and gravely concerned about this, so I am sure that I won't be the only one getting the first full night's sleep in a while.

Swine Flu Pandemic Is History
August 10, 2010

Pssst! The swine flu is gone. Pass it on.
The World Health Organization said today that the swine flu pandemic that circled the globe is officially over.

But don't relax completely, the public health officials say.

Sure, the new H1N1 virus has become scarcer, off-season outbreaks have dropped, and many people have developed immunity through vaccines or exposure to the virus itself.

Still, WHO Director General Margaret Chan said there are still serious risks in some populations. She urged continued vaccinations and monitoring to see whether the virus becomes more lethal over time.

Chan said her decision in June 2009 to declare that the virus had reached pandemic levels was "the right call."

The declaration led countries to speed vaccines to market, beef up their distribution and launch public health campaigns. Countries stockpiled antiviral medications.

Since the outbreak really got rolling in April 2009, more than 18,400 people have died from swine flu complications worldwide. For seasonal flu, the typical annual death toll is about 250,000.

:rolleyes: Seriously?

Raise your hand if you care...

Buzz
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Actually a few kids around here died from it last winter. And my daughter having asthma, I will admit that I'm relieved. She and my wife both got vaccinated. I have not, although they told me that I should because I have people in my house at higher risk. It was just so late in the game by the time it was available to me, I just didn't get off the dime.