PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to the GOP?

depittydawg
08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
gy has gone from solid principles to hype and slogans. Stockman says: "Republicans used to believe that prosperity depended upon the regular balancing of accounts -- in government, in international trade, on the ledgers of central banks and in the financial affairs of private households and businesses too."

No more. Today there's a "new catechism" that's "little more than money printing and deficit finance, vulgar Keynesianism robed in the ideological vestments of the prosperous classes" making a mockery of GOP ideals. Worse, it has resulted in "serial financial bubbles and Wall Street depredations that have crippled our economy." Yes, GOP ideals backfired, crippling our economy.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/reagan-insider-gop-destroyed-us-economy-2010-08-10?siteid=e2eaol

M&K's Retrievers
08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

subroc
08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
silly man.....

JDogger
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Sweeping up are you Mike?

I started a thread a few days ago, asking who might be a republican front-runner in 2012. It got a couple of responces, one from you, (non-committal) and one from Bon listing his bets. I dumped the thread cause it seemed this morning like a waste of bandwidth. He listed Tim Pawlenty and a couple of other hacks. Then on my way home from work tonight I snapped on former NM Gov. Gary Johnson. I hear he intends to through his hat in the ring. If there were ever a republican I could vote for, it might be him. He vetoed almost every spending bill ever proposed while Gov. More of a libertarian than an R. Google him.

Have a good weekend,
JD

depittydawg
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM

You really need to stop watching those re-runs. :p

M&K's Retrievers
08-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Sweeping up are you Mike?

I started a thread a few days ago, asking who might be a republican front-runner in 2012. It got a couple of responces, one from you, (non-committal) and one from Bon listing his bets. I dumped the thread cause it seemed this morning like a waste of bandwidth. He listed Tim Pawlenty and a couple of other hacks. Then on my way home from work tonight I snapped on former NM Gov. Gary Johnson. I hear he intends to through his hat in the ring. If there were ever a republican I could vote for, it might be him. He vetoed almost every spending bill ever proposed while Gov. More of a libertarian than an R. Google him.

Have a good weekend,
JD

I'll check him out. Good weekend? Already?

BonMallari
08-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Honestly , what happened is that they tried to be like Democrats....they let moderates like McCain and Lindsey Graham move the party toward the center, when their strong suit is more to the right...not far right as many think. they also got arrogant and they got old, they got fat and lazy from guys like Jack Abramoff, got in bed with guys like Ken Lay and thought they could bask in the sun and forgot to take care of business...they also underestimated the BHO wave because they thought the person to beat was Hilary...

the GOP has to be careful and not get overconfident and assume that the mid terms fall their way, they also need to make sure the Tea Party doesnt fragment the party and they go with someone new and fresh...not named Palin, Gingrich or Romney

JDogger
08-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I'll check him out. Good weekend? Already?

Yeah, every other week mine starts on Thu. :D

One of the few benefits of being an old fart.

I'll be here.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/2006Ranch.jpg

M&K's Retrievers
08-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah, every other week mine starts on Thu. :D

One of the few benefits of being an old fart.

I'll be here.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/2006Ranch.jpg

And the temperature there is?

depittydawg
08-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Honestly , what happened is that they tried to be like Democrats....they let moderates like McCain and Lindsey Graham move the party toward the center, when their strong suit is more to the right...not far right as many think. they also got arrogant and they got old, they got fat and lazy from guys like Jack Abramoff, got in bed with guys like Ken Lay and thought they could bask in the sun and forgot to take care of business...they also underestimated the BHO wave because they thought the person to beat was Hilary...

the GOP has to be careful and not get overconfident and assume that the mid terms fall their way, they also need to make sure the Tea Party doesnt fragment the party and they go with someone new and fresh...not named Palin, Gingrich or Romney

Sounds like a good assessment to me.

depittydawg
08-12-2010, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=depittydawg;659325]Sounds like a good assessment to me.[/QUOTe

I'd say the Democrats have fallen into the same trap over the last 20 years. They are trying to be traditional Republicans and doing a poor imitation. Clinton has to be ranked right of Reagan in economic policy. And Obama, for all his fancy talkin is definitely either right of center or just plane incompetent as a chief executive. Based on what has actually passed and become law in the last year and a half, there is little difference between the Obama victory in '08 or what would have transpired had McCain won the election. In fact, we may have moved more left of center under McCain than under the hapless leadership of Obama and the Wall Street controlled Senate.

JDogger
08-12-2010, 01:29 AM
And the temperature there is?

8500 feet. Mid august at the heat of the day, about 84, mostly a lot cooler through the morning. We can train all day.

Guest house has 4 BR's and one bath. Full kitchen and fridge. Bunkhouse accomadations. Bunks w/ mattresses, bring your own bedding, (sleeping bags, pillow) towels and food and beverage of choice. All RTF'ers welcome.
PM if you're going to be in the area.

Same pond in the winter. There are others too

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/Highcountygeese1-24-09006-1.jpg

View to the west. Hermit's Peak

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/RanchoAmistad05-25-09Iris009.jpg

about 1 and 1/2 hr to NRA Whittington Center near Raton.

BTW What did happen to the GOP?

dnf777
08-12-2010, 05:37 AM

Somebody pull his power pack.......that bumbling bucket of bolts!

(loved that show)

road kill
08-12-2010, 07:48 AM
8500 feet. Mid august at the heat of the day, about 84, mostly a lot cooler through the morning. We can train all day.

Guest house has 4 BR's and one bath. Full kitchen and fridge. Bunkhouse accomadations. Bunks w/ mattresses, bring your own bedding, (sleeping bags, pillow) towels and food and beverage of choice. All RTF'ers welcome.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/Highcountygeese1-24-09006-1.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/RanchoAmistad05-25-09Iris009.jpg

Nice spot!!

I think we will find out in November.
Any predictions???

RK

YardleyLabs
08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
From an economic perspective, tax and spend may be bad social policy, but it can be relatively neutral. However, borrow and spend is always destructive over the long term. In the short term it may make sense, but only when the economy is not growing. Beginning with Reagan, the Republican party has voted resoundingly in favor of borrow and spend as a way of life. Until now, Democrats have actually resisted that approach. However, Obama has continued and expanded it. While this might have been justified in the short term because of the recession, the fact is that the economy is growing and deficits need to be curbed. That need is more important than the question of whether the deficit is reduced through spending cuts or tax increases. Both are needed.

Understandably, the discussion will always come back to jobs, or more specifically, the lack of jobs. Unfortunately, the lack of jobs stems from the fact that it is more profitable to meet consumer demands for goods by producing goods in other countries than by producing them here and generating jobs for Americans. In the long run, this will actually kill the golden goose, otherwise known as the American consumer. There must be a focus on ways to expand job opportunities within the nation. Attempts to do this by recreating trade barriers are destined for failure. The focus needs to be on ways to improve the relative competitiveness of American workers. That may mean improved training and reduced labor costs (read lower salaries for the same work), but it also means massive investments in production infrastructure that will not be made by the free market alone.

M&K's Retrievers
08-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Oh man that sounds good! Here at 650' it's already 86 at 8:00 AM heading to a high of 103 and heat/humidity index (whatever that is) of 110.:cry::shock::shock:

JDogger
08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I think we will find out in November.
Any predictions???

RK

The deck of politicians in Washington will be shuffled, and a new hand dealt, but the deck will remain essentially the same.

Money equals power and who has the money? The large multinational corporations that now have the status of persons, have most of the money and power.
They allow us to play parties and politics so we have the illusion of some individual control over our lives and destiny. :(

troy schwab
08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
The deck of politicians in Washington will be shuffled, and a new hand dealt, but the deck will remain essentially the same.

Money equals power and who has the money? The large multinational corporations that now have the status of persons, have most of the money and power.
They allow us to play parties and politics so we have the illusion of some individual control over our lives and destiny. :(

So sad but so true..........

ducknwork
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM

So what is your plan? What are you going to do about it?

zeus3925
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
What happened to the GOP? They became the Grand Obstructionist Party!

JDogger
08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
So what is your plan? What are you going to do about it?

Continue to play the game. Why not? We're all a little dilusional in our own ways. ;)

Cody Covey
08-12-2010, 02:33 PM

DING DING DING we have a winner. I completely agree with this. Both sides will come out and promise fiscal responsibility and neither will deliver. Then in 2 years we will do it again.

JDogger
08-12-2010, 05:40 PM
You know, that gal looks like she's chained to that dog house.
Nice grounds.
Walt

Well house and heeling stick, but I see what you mean.

JD

dnf777
08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
What issues does the RNC have with Mitt Romney?
Despite popularity, he can't seem to get traction within his own party.

BonMallari
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM

of all the candidates he appears the most Presidential, but I am not so sure he can get elected the second time around since he got beat by a weak candidate the first go round, I also think they would hang the Mass health care system around his neck like an anchor...I think he would make an excellent VP behind the right candidate

road kill
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM

For what it's worth, he was my choice, I supported him as best I could.
And I will again.

McCain was Bob Dole revisited.

RK

Buzz
08-12-2010, 11:52 PM

I don't know why they would have any issues with Romney. He is after all an original architect of the health insurance mandate...

road kill
08-13-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't know why they would have any issues with Romney. He is after all an original architect of the health insurance mandate...

Well, there is that and then the "big tent" party had an issue with his religion.:rolleyes:

RK

Marvin S
08-13-2010, 12:38 PM
be like Democrats....they let moderates (Rockefeller Republicans) like McCain and Lindsey Graham move the party toward the center, (Left)

My gut feeling is Haley Barbour, Mitch Daniels, & Bobby Jindal will all be more active after the midterms.

BonMallari
08-13-2010, 12:47 PM
My gut feeling is Haley Barbour, Mitch Daniels, & Bobby Jindal will all be more active after the midterms.

Haley Barbour did a great job of heading up the Party and the more I hear from Mitch Daniels the more I like, dont dislike Jindal just lukewarm on him at this time...would like to hear more from John Thune too

dnf777
08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
While I don't question Haley Barbour's conservative dedications, I think he is the cookie-cutter stereotype of the big, powerful gov't fat-cat with lobbyist crumbs all over his chops. Sort of the republican version of John Murtha or Rosty. Does not fit the presidential mold that is in style right now. JMHO

Marvin S
08-13-2010, 01:58 PM
would like to hear more from John Thune too

I donated to Thune to beat Daschle - the requests for more have not stopped. Thune is a little too religious for me, with a nice, handsome family. Strikes me as a get along, go along type. I am from SD so get some input on him on occasion. When I complained about his vote on the Farm Bill, there was no answer, not surprised :). Also wrote him about issues he could take leadership positions in that would benefit the state. Nothing happened.

Buzz
08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I donated to Thune to beat Daschle - the requests for more have not stopped. Thune is a little too religious for me, with a nice, handsome family. Strikes me as a get along, go along type. I am from SD so get some input on him on occasion. When I complained about his vote on the Farm Bill, there was no answer, not surprised :). Also wrote him about issues he could take leadership positions in that would benefit the state. Nothing happened.

My impression of John Thune is that he's in it for John Thune, which makes him pretty much like every other politician out there. I don't mind religious, but I don't like seeing it worn on sleeves.

road kill
08-13-2010, 03:37 PM
While I don't question Haley Barbour's conservative dedications, I think he is the cookie-cutter stereotype of the big, powerful gov't fat-cat with lobbyist crumbs all over his chops. Sort of the republican version of John Murtha or Rosty. Does not fit the presidential mold that is in style right now. JMHO

Yeah, it's all about STYLE ain't it???

RK

dnf777
08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Yeah, it's all about STYLE ain't it???

RK

How else do you think dear Sarah rose to national fame? Or was it her cunning intellect?

road kill
08-14-2010, 08:30 AM
How else do you think dear Sarah rose to national fame? Or was it her cunning intellect?

I think Obama got elected President of the USA on style.

RK

dnf777
08-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I think Obama got elected President of the USA on style.

RK

Sure, he's got style. But he also speaks intelligently, even if you don't agree with his content, you have to admit, he can articulate his ideas in a convincing manner.

In the age of mass media and television rules, you've got to be handsome or sexy to have mass appeal.

road kill
08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Sure, he's got style. But he also speaks intelligently, even if you don't agree with his content, you have to admit, he can articulate MY ideas in a convincing manner.

In the age of mass media and television rules, you've got to be handsome or sexy to have mass appeal.

Fixed.

BTW, has he visited all 57 states yet?

Intelligent, articulate regards..........

RK

M&K's Retrievers
08-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Sure, he's got style. But he also speaks intelligently, even if you don't agree with his content, you have to admit, he can articulate his ideas in a convincing manner.

So could Hitler.

dnf777
08-14-2010, 01:55 PM
So could Hitler.

So can a lot of people. What's your point? Speaking intelligently is something common to lots of folks, both good and evil. Although, it has eluded some.

dnf777
08-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Fixed.

BTW, has he visited all 57 states yet?

Intelligent, articulate regards..........

RK

I agree with some of is points, and disagree with many others. So far, we have been apparently pulled back from the disaster that was created by Cheney's regime.

No idea what you mean by 57 states. Last time I checked, there were 50 states, and a handful of territories.

road kill
08-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree with some of is points, and disagree with many others. So far, we have been apparently pulled back from the disaster that was created by Cheney's regime.

No idea what you mean by 57 states. Last time I checked, there were 50 states, and a handful of territories.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!
You can recite Bush misspeaks chapter and verse, but don't know about this, here is your guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrsBKGpwi58

RK

M&K's Retrievers
08-14-2010, 02:30 PM
So can a lot of people. What's your point? Speaking intelligently is something common to lots of folks, both good and evil. Although, it has eluded some.

It means it's not necessarily a good thing.

dnf777
08-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!
You can recite Bush misspeaks chapter and verse, but don't know about this, here is your guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrsBKGpwi58

RK

Clearly qualifies as "high crimes and misdemeanors". Start the impeachment hearings Monday!! I'm outraged!

road kill
08-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Clearly qualifies as "high crimes and misdemeanors". Start the impeachment hearings Monday!! I'm outraged!

Didn't say it was high crimes and misdemeanors, pointed out the irony of your selective outrage over misspeaking.

Any body got a stick so Dave can clean his shoes off??:rolleyes:

RK

M&K's Retrievers
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Admit it. You would be all over Bush if he had said that.

road kill
08-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Like I said, the independent middle of the roaders know Bush misspeaks chapter and verse, but don't know about Obama's visit to the 57 states.

BTW, who has 57 states, anyone know???

OK, since you'll pretend you don't know, how about this;

How many states of Islam???

Freudian slip regards.........

RK:D

dnf777
08-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Oh, I suppose I'd take a jab at him. It got to be kind of "old hat" after a while though.

I can see 57 cities or 57 stops coming out at 57 states....sure, it sounds funny, and deserves its share of youtube time, no doubt. It was funny.

But not as funny as (or truly lacking in understanding of a subject) this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5xVRXLgLxw

YardleyLabs
08-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Like I said, the independent middle of the roaders know Bush misspeaks chapter and verse, but don't know about Obama's visit to the 57 states.

Are you claiming that there are 57 Islamic states? List them or provide a link that does. I'll buy the popcorn.....

depittydawg
08-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Guess thats the point. Bush's mispeaks fill several volumes arranged in Chapters and verses. Obama had one. Good thing you caught it...

road kill
08-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Are you claiming that there are 57 Islamic states? List them or provide a link that does. I'll buy the popcorn.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_of_the_Islamic_Conference

I would tell you to put that in your bong and smoke it, but frankly, I think you've had enough.:D

RK

road kill
08-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Guess thats the point. Bush's mispeaks fill several volumes arranged in Chapters and verses. Obama had one. Good thing you caught it...

How selective of you to pretend you missed it!!:D

RK

YardleyLabs
08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_of_the_Islamic_Conference

I would tell you to put that in your bong and smoke it, but frankly I think you've had enough.:D

RK
I will admit I had never heard of it, and it does claim 57 members.

However, most of those members do not recognize any official religion and several are not even majority Muslim. They do all have significant Muslim populations. However, the Wikipedia review team has suggested noting in the article that it contains 57 nations, the majority of which are Muslim, as opposed to suggesting that it represents 57 Muslim nations, which it does not.

In fact, there are only about two dozen nations that recognize Islam as a state religion. There are fewer than 50 with majority Muslim populations. Some of the "states" listed in the OIC are not actually countries.

road kill
08-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I will admit I had never heard of it, and it does claim 57 members.

However, most of those members do not recognize any official religion and several are not even majority Muslim. They do all have significant Muslim populations. However, the Wikipedia review team has suggested noting in the article that it contains 57 nations, the majority of which are Muslim, as opposed to suggesting that it represents 57 Muslim nations, which it does not.

In fact, there are only about two dozen nations that recognize Islam as a state religion. There are fewer than 50 with majority Muslim populations. Some of the "states" listed in the OIC are not actually countries.

Amazing, truly amazing.

So....even though you admit you don't know anything about it, you know more about it than "wikipedia?"

RK

YardleyLabs
08-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Amazing, truly amazing.

So....even though you admit you don't know anything about it, you know more about it than "wikipedia?"

RK
Well, if you would also like to know more than Wikipedia, simply follow some of the links in your own referenced story. As you might have noticed, there are headlines all over the story noting that it is incomplete and not consistent with wiki quality standards. There are links to discussions of the various open issues. You can also look at demographic information concerning Muslim populations for the different countries listed. Or you might even go to the web site of the OIC itself.

Unlike many, I find that Wikipedia is normally an excellent reference source. However, it is seldom an authoritative reference unless you also investigate the sources cited and combine those with sources developed independently. While the OIC has been around a while, and describes itself as the second largest organization representing the Muslim populations of nations around the world, it is not clear that it is very influential. I doubt that Obama or many others could have told you how many nations were members before someone in the blogosphere found a connection that they thought might be fun. Here I always figured that Obama was simply tired, hungry, and thinking of wanting a bowl of Heinz soup.:rolleyes:

depittydawg
08-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, if you would also like to know more than Wikipedia, simply follow some of the links in your own referenced story. As you might have noticed, there are headlines all over the story noting that it is incomplete and not consistent with wiki quality standards. There are links to discussions of the various open issues. You can also look at demographic information concerning Muslim populations for the different countries listed. Or you might even go to the web site of the OIC itself.

Unlike many, I find that Wikipedia is normally an excellent reference source. However, it is seldom an authoritative reference unless you also investigate the sources cited and combine those with sources developed independently. While the OIC has been around a while, and describes itself as the second largest organization representing the Muslim populations of nations around the world, it is not clear that it is very influential. I doubt that Obama or many others could have told you how many nations were members before someone in the blogosphere found a connection that they thought might be fun. Here I always figured that Obama was simply tired, hungry, and thinking of wanting a bowl of Heinz soup.:rolleyes:

I would suspect that, other than its members, and probably the FBI, very few people had ever heard of the OIC before this ridiculous story hit the propaganda waves.

M&K's Retrievers
08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
I would suspect that, other than its members, and probably the FBI, very few people had ever heard of the OIC before this ridiculous story hit the propaganda waves.

If you don't know anything about something, it's ridiculous propaganda.

road kill
08-15-2010, 11:16 AM
If you don't know anything about something, it's ridiculous propaganda.

Or, if in some way it would damage your ideology, it's "ridiculus propaganda!!":D

RK