PDA

View Full Version : Justice Dept ends DeLay probe

BonMallari
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
WASHINGTON—A lawyer for Tom DeLay said Monday that the Justice Department has ended an investigation of the former congressman and won't file criminal charges.
[delay0816] Associated Press

Former Republican Majority Leader Tom DeLay

The six-year criminal investigation focused on Mr. DeLay's ties to former lobbyist Jack Abramoff, who was released from a minimum-security prison camp in June.

One of Mr. DeLay's lawyers, Richard Cullen, said the Justice Department's Office of Public Integrity informed Mr. DeLay's legal team early last week that it was ending the investigation.

Justice Department spokeswoman Laura Sweeney declined to comment, which is normally the case when the department ends a criminal probe without filing charges.

Mr. Abramoff served about 3½ years in prison for fraud, corruption and conspiracy. He currently is working in a kosher pizzeria in northwest Baltimore.

Mr. DeLay, a Republican from Texas, is a former House majority leader.

So after six years thats the best the Justice Dept can do.:rolleyes:

I am not saying DeLay was a choir boy but what a waste of the tax payer's money. I guess that's one way to remove someone from office is start a criminal investigation

Marvin S
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
So after six years thats the best the Justice Dept can do.:rolleyes:

I am not saying DeLay was a choir boy but what a waste of the tax payer's money. I guess that's one way to remove someone from office is start a criminal investigation

They probably found that what was being done by Delay was only = to or less than what their own were doing :).