PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Could the Republications Do...

M&K's Retrievers
08-16-2010, 02:22 PM
...if they were to take back both houses? I know it's not likely to win both and even then they certainly won't have enough votes to over turn a veto. So exactly what could they do to overturn the results of the past 18 months? Any ideas?

ducknwork
08-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Make O a lame duck for the last two years of his term.

or...

Maybe their could actually be some bipartisanship in DC as O would be forced to work with the other side in order to get ANYTHING done whatsoever.

But my money is on #1.

Don Horstman
08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
An even better scenario is that neither side could get anything accomlished with a Repub win, and the government could be stopped from exercising their reverse midas touch. Leave us alone, get rid of all of the onerous regulations that are killing off our domestic companies, and quit spending money you do not have.

dnf777
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
...if they were to take back both houses? I know it's not likely to win both and even then they certainly won't have enough votes to over turn a veto. So exactly what could they do to overturn the results of the past 18 months? Any ideas?

Given that this congress could do very little to overturn the disaster of the past 8 years, you're probably right. :D

M&K's Retrievers
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Given that this congress could do very little to overturn the disaster of the past 8 years, you're probably right. :D

Where is my stool?:confused:

dnf777
08-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Are you serious? This sounds like a Potty-Training 101 question. :confused:

road kill
08-16-2010, 05:10 PM

In his post!!!:rolleyes:

RK

M&K's Retrievers
08-16-2010, 06:02 PM

This congress has done nothing to overturn the last 8 years. They have just made it much much worse. My question was/is what if anything could a republican controlled House and Senate do reverse the actions of the last 18 months since Obama would veto any bill passed to correct this crap. Not approving funding for his projects comes to mind.

dnf777
08-16-2010, 06:05 PM
This congress has done nothing to overturn the last 8 years. They have just made it much much worse. My question was/is what if anything could a republican controlled House and Senate do reverse the actions of the last 114 months since Obama would veto any bill passed to correct this crap. Not approving funding for his projects comes to mind.

If you'll accept the 114 months, I'll agree totally with you.

I'd go back to when it really started to unravel, and include Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton....but thought I'd just start from the last time we had a balanced budget for simplicity's sake.

M&K's Retrievers
08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
If you'll accept the 114 months, I'll agree totally with you.

I'd go back to when it really started to unravel, and include Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton....but thought I'd just start from the last time we had a balanced budget for simplicity's sake.

I don't care if you go back to the Irish Potato Famine, I'm just curious what they could accomplish since they probably can't bust his veto.

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Seems like the original question posed in this thread has a remote chance of happening. The question remains, what could the GOP accomplish?

subroc
09-01-2010, 05:50 AM

prevent foolishness like cap and trade would be good enough for me.

put sanity in any energy policy that gets considered.

dnf777
09-01-2010, 06:01 AM
The small business aid bill presently in congress is a good example of how they can't work together for even something they both profess to support.

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
The small business aid bill presently in congress is a good example of how they can't work together for even something they both profess to support.

From my view we don't need more bills we need less. I'm hoping they can undo some of the crap that has recently passed. Bush years included.

dnf777
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
From my view we don't need more bills we need less. I'm hoping they can undo some of the crap that has recently passed. Bush years included.

I would agree, except right now I think freeing up funds for small business would be helpful. Be in it the form of tax relief, or encouraging banks to loan the billions they're sitting on.

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Why is it that the GOP is holding up this bill while the Dems have control of both houses? Same excuse with health care and every thing else. It's always the GOP's fault.:confused:

dixidawg
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I would agree, except right now I think freeing up funds for small business would be helpful. Be in it the form of tax relief, or encouraging banks to loan the billions they're sitting on.

I think many businesses are waiting for some assurances as to what the future regulatory (cap and trade) and tax situation (Bush tax cut expiring) is going to be before they decide to take additional loans and invest.

I really don't believe there will be a large demand for business loans until there is some certainty around what the future landscape will be.

Once business has some certainty of what the playing field will look like only then will they decide to borrow and invest.

Gridlock would likely be the best of all possible outcomes.

Buzz
09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I think many businesses are waiting for some assurances as to what the future regulatory (cap and trade) and tax situation (Bush tax cut expiring) is going to be before they decide to take additional loans and invest.

I really don't believe there will be a large demand for business loans until there is some certainty around what the future landscape will be.

Once business has some certainty of what the playing field will look like only then will they decide to borrow and invest.

Gridlock would likely be the best of all possible outcomes.

I have a friend from high school who has had his own businesses for the last 25 years. He's always been successful and paid his business loans as per agreement with the bank. He sees some great opportunity and would like to significantly expand right now and cannot find a bank that will lend him a dime.

Buzz
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Why is it that the GOP is holding up this bill while the Dems have control of both houses? Same excuse with health care and every thing else. It's always the GOP's fault.:confused:

Like you've never heard of the filibuster... :rolleyes: That and some of the conservadems may just as well be caucusing with the Republicans.

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Like you've never heard of the filibuster... :rolleyes: That and some of the conservadems may just as well be caucusing with the Republicans.

I thought the Dems were basically filibuster proof. I think you are going to find a lot of closet conservadems on the horizon.

depittydawg
09-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Given that the Republicans have yet to articulate what they want to do, other than obstruct the democrats, its anybody's guess as to what the will actually try. So far, all I"ve heard is the same old worn out slogans and insanity that that got us into this mess the last time they were in charge.

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Given that the Republicans have yet to articulate what they want to do, other than obstruct the democrats, its anybody's guess as to what the will actually try. So far, all I"ve heard is the same old worn out slogans and insanity that that got us into this mess the last time they were in charge.

DS, I didn't ask what would they do I asked what could they do to change the events of the last 18 months. What could they accomplish?

depittydawg
09-02-2010, 12:54 AM
DS, I didn't ask what would they do I asked what could they do to change the events of the last 18 months. What could they accomplish?

FH, I told you they are incapable of doing much of anything positive for America. They've proven that.

M&K's Retrievers
09-02-2010, 01:19 AM
FH, I told you they are incapable of doing much of anything positive for America. They've proven that.

That is your uninformed opinion. You cannot carry on an intelligent conversation. The question is what are their options if they gain control. I guess you can't answer the question if you don't understand it.

depittydawg
09-02-2010, 01:50 AM
About the only thing the republicans have demonstrated over the last 30 years is that the are capable of screwing up the economy, creating massive amounts of debt, and screwing up national defense. To date, they have offered NO new solutions to any of the problems facing the nation. To be more precise for you, they will do as they have done in the past, they will be obstructionists to Obama's agenda.
They will also launch a bunch of fruitless attacking probes from the Senate or House, if they take either one, in an all out assault on Obama. This is the way of things in Washington. The dem's did the same to Bush in 06 / 07. Although, many thought he actually deserved to be impeached, they stopped short of it.
If Obama continues to be the weak leader that he has been so far, the Republican's might get him to buckle even more and you'll see the Republicans get more of the same crap they've done for the last 30 years. More deficit spending and more transfer of wealth to the Top 2 percent. No doubt K street will re-open for business and we will set the stage for the next collapse.

Forgetting what the populist antagonists say on the circuit, the actions of the Republican national leadership have been centered along two main fronts since about 1990. Move as much wealth and power into the hands of an elite few, and bankrupt the US treasury. Before you launch your attack think about it. Disregarding all the rhetoric, Isn't that exactly what has occurred?

M&K's Retrievers
09-02-2010, 02:52 AM
.... To be more precise for you, they will do as they have done in the past, they will be obstructionists to Obama's agenda.And that's a bad thing?
They will also launch a bunch of fruitless attacking probes from the Senate or House, if they take either one, in an all out assault on Obama. And that's a bad thing? ...
If Obama continues to be the weak leader that he has been so far, the Republican's might get him to buckle even more and you'll see the Republicans get more of the same crap they've done for the last 30 years.Again, what can they do, not what have they done. Before you launch your attack What attack? I just asked a question