PDA

View Full Version : Last full U.S. combat brigade leaves Iraq

Roger Perry
08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
I am shocked that none of the righties on here have posted on this subject.

IRAQ-KUWAIT BORDER — The last U.S. combat troops crossed the border into Kuwait on Thursday morning, bringing to a close the active combat phase of a 7½-year war that overthrew the dictatorial regime of Saddam Hussein, forever defined the presidency of George W. Bush and left more than 4,400 American service members and tens of thousands of Iraqis dead.
The final convoy of the Army’s 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Lewis, Wash., began entering Kuwait about 1:30 a.m. (6:30 p.m. Wednesday ET), carrying the last of the 14,000 U.S. combat forces in Iraq, said NBC’s Richard Engel, who has been traveling with the brigade as it moved out this week.
NBC News video showed the last Stryker vehicles rolling up to the gate. A guard pulled it back, and the vehicles drove through. The gate closed behind them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38744453/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa

gman0046
08-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Good post Perry. Again your referencing Bush. How many Americans have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since Obongolo has been president?

Roger Perry
08-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Good post Perry. Again your referencing Bush. How many Americans have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since Obongolo has been president?

Not as many as have died as when Bush was in office. How many innocent Iraqi men women and children perished in Iraq between March 19, 2003 and January 19, 2009? Alot more than Saddam Hussain was acquised of killing.

Do you have a problem that Obama can get our military out of Iraq, something Bush could not do in 7 years?

WaterDogRem
08-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Didn't know leaving 50,000+ armed soliders for police support, and special missions was considered pulling our military out of Iraq.
Maybe that's why no one else posted this pesduo story?

lizard55033
08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
How many innocent Iraqi men women and children perished in Iraq between March 19, 2003 and January 19, 2009?

That number is mute point at best...

There are always casuaties and collateral damages to any war, conflict, and/or police action....

Innocent? Some yes, others no. whats put out by the media both american and Iraqi are always conflicting. By deligating an "innocence" of all men, women, and children is just attack the "heart strings" of the world.

Roger Perry
08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
That number is mute point at best...

There are always casuaties and collateral damages to any war, conflict, and/or police action....

Innocent? Some yes, others no. whats put out by the media both american and Iraqi are always conflicting. By deligating an "innocence" of all men, women, and children is just attack the "heart strings" of the world.

Tell that to the relatives of those that lost their life.

Roger Perry
08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Didn't know leaving 50,000+ armed soliders for police support, and special missions was considered pulling our military out of Iraq.
Well, I guess going from a quarter million military personnel to 50,000 may not be a signifgant number to you but it is to me.

At one point, the United States had blanketed the country with nearly a quarter-million-strong combat force; by the end of the month, Obama said, about 50,000 U.S. troops will remain in the country, in a non-combat role providing support and training for the Iraqi military.

Buzz
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Kind of like South Korea, or Germany?

Do you think we'll ever have a president completely pull us out of there? We need folks there to keep up the airstrips and the tanks & planes that will no doubt be stored there.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Obama himself is downplaying this event. He knows there are many still in harm's way. That is the presidential thing to do.

WaterDogRem
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Kind of like South Korea, or Germany?

Do you think we'll ever have a president completely pull us out of there? We need folks there to keep up the airstrips and the tanks & planes that will no doubt be stored there.

Well, our agreement with the Iraqi government is to have all our troops out by the end of next year.

WaterDogRem
08-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Obama himself is downplaying this event. He knows there are many still in harm's way. That is the presidential thing to do.

Agree it should be downplayed, but that's not how RP was trying to present this story.

gman0046
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I wonder what Obongolo will have to say when Iraq goes to hell in a hand basket and we have to send more troops back to there.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I wonder what Obongolo will have to say when Iraq goes to hell in a hand basket and we have to send more troops back to there.

Hopefully, he'll say, "t.s. Its your problem, you fix it"

Seems like every president says they're not into nation building.....then nation builds.

BonMallari
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
instead of bickering back and forth , How about WE ALL WELCOME HOME THE TROOPS AND CONGRATULATE THEM ON A JOB WELL DONE.

WELCOME HOME GUYS AND GALS ; THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY

IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU HOME

WE ARE PROUD OF ALL OF YOU

finkomania
08-20-2010, 12:25 AM
A lot of "Inocent" Iraqis died because of the tactics used by the insurgents. They also have an opportunity to do something with that country that they did not have before we went there. You won't find many Iraqis that were sad to see old Saddam taken out. I know the kurds didnt have any problems with us. Can't blame them after their own government used chemical weapons on them.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Finkomania-
first off... judging by your avatar..... THANK YOU for protecting my freedoms. We all owe you a debt of gratitude. Secondly, do you feel that the situation over there is going to require more troops again, or do you feel that we have done everything that has to be done. I understand if you choose not to answer. BUt it would be nice to hear from a first hand experience. We are all couch commanders......LOL Thanks again for your service.

finkomania
08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Well we are still there. There are still over 50,000 troops still in Country. I believe we will be there for a long long time. IMHO based off of history American troops bring long term stability where ever they go. I hope we dont just leave after all that has happened. From first hand expierience and working with the Iraqi Army and living with them during my last deployment, they have come along way in both training and equipment. I met some pretty decent people over there last time and got to know them on a more personal level. I hope they can restore some sort of normalacy soon. I will be retireing in four months so I won't be as involved as I have been and will joining the Arm Chair quarterbacks soon.

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Well we are still there. There are still over 50,000 troops still in Country. I believe we will be there for a long long time. IMHO based off of history American troops bring long term stability where ever they go. I hope we dont just leave after all that has happened. From first hand expierience and working with the Iraqi Army and living with them during my last deployment, they have come along way in both training and equipment. I met some pretty decent people over there last time and got to know them on a more personal level. I hope they can restore some sort of normalacy soon. I will be retireing in four months so I won't be as involved as I have been and will joining the Arm Chair quarterbacks soon.
Maybe it's time to move our 50,000+ troops out of Germany. I think they may be stable now.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe it's time to move our 50,000+ troops out of Germany. I think they may be stable now.

SMARTASS....... we have thousands of troops all over the world. Not many environments are comparable in hostility as Iraq. You should know that. Ignore the jackass talking behind the curtain, Fink. I am sure he meant no disrespect. (I hope). Thanks again Fink!

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 03:08 PM
SMARTASS....... we have thousands of troops all over the world. Not many environments are comparable in hostility as Iraq. You should know that. Ignore the jackass talking behind the curtain, Fink. I am sure he meant no disrespect. (I hope). Thanks again Fink!
But the open question is why are we keeping 52,000 troops there. They don't cost much less there and we can't keep planting troops in 30-50,000 groups all over the world. Given the instability of the areas, we might be better off with long term concentrations in Iraq and Afghanistan than in Germany and Japan.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
But the open question is why are we keeping 52,000 troops there. They don't cost much less there and we can't keep planting troops in 30-50,000 groups all over the world. Given the instability of the areas, we might be better off with long term concentrations in Iraq and Afghanistan than in Germany and Japan.

Agreed...... Maybe its another question for the POTUS?????

BonMallari
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM

My dad was in logistics in the Army and I asked him the same question one day...the military answer is that it was easier/faster to deploy troops from bases in Germany and Japan than to dispatch them from Fort Campbell or Ft Hood...

Now take for example the Philippines, they have never recovered from the financial setback of removing the military bases...they were a big boom to the economy and also lined the pockets of corrupt administrations...

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
My dad was in logistics in the Army and I asked him the same question one day...the military answer is that it was easier/faster to deploy troops from bases in Germany and Japan than to dispatch them from Fort Campbell or Ft Hood...

Now take for example the Philippines, they have never recovered from the financial setback of removing the military bases...they were a big boom to the economy and also lined the pockets of corrupt administrations...
Your father was right and we have absolutely used those bases as staging centers for wars we have fought in other, more hostile areas: Kosovo, Bosnia, Vietnam, etc. For Iraq, we deployed from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait with Germany as a backup for things like medical support. The question is whether we should move toward using Iraq and Afghanistan in a similar way (assuming their governments agree) based on the fact that they require the stabilizing influence and economic boost more. We can't simply keep on establishing semi permanent bases allover the world.

finkomania
08-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Short answer Germany is an awsome place to party. It was my first duty station almost 20 years ago. I also finished a tour up over there in 07. I hope they keep some troops there so I can go back again and visit. Love that place many great memories and friends over there. Being selfish and self centered :)

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Short answer Germany is an awsome place to party. It was my first duty station almost 20 years ago. I also finished a tour up over there in 07. I hope they keep some troops there so I can go back again and visit. Love that place many great memories and friends over there. Being selfish and self centered :)
I actually suspect there is some truth to your comment. I've always believed that the bases there stay open in part because nobody wants them taken off the tour. During the Vietnam War, more than a few of my friends enlisted after being assured that they would be sent to Germany since they spoke fluent German. You can rest assured that the only ones who made it to Germany were there for the medical services.;-) One actually was a musician who joined the Marine band. He was packing for Germany when three members of the band in Saigon were killed. Next stop ......

gman0046
08-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Yardley have you served?