PDA

View Full Version : New Jobless Claims Leap To 500.000.

gman0046
08-19-2010, 02:31 PM
New applications for unemployment insurance reached the half a million mark last week for the first time since last November. A sign employers are cutting jobs again as the economy slows.

So much for Obongo's stimulus plan and all the jobs he was going to create. What a FRAUD he is.

hotel4dogs
08-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I suspect a lot of small businesses are afraid to hire right now....not knowing what we're going to get hit with next from his obamaness.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
New applications for unemployment insurance reached the half a million mark last week for the first time since last November. A sign employers are cutting jobs again as the economy slows.

So much for Obongo's stimulus plan and all the jobs he was going to create. What a FRAUD he is.

So what would YOU do to fix the economy?

road kill
08-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Deregulate small business credit a bit so the small businesses can borrow against AR.

That is how many small businesses run and have run for years.
They meet payroll etc borrowing against Accounts Receivable.
Banks now assume 70% of AR will be 90 days out.
Therefore they won't loan against it.
Therefore I have to cut payroll.

Therefore 2 people lost their jobs.

I highly doubt any of you progressives (independent middle of the roaders:rolleyes:) will have a clue what I am talking about.....or you will argue the merits of borrowing against AR's.

But I have done it and still do it.

But not only did those 2 lose their jobs, we won't be buying a new peice of equipment we were considering.

A job that won't get created.

So......the guys that sell the new equipment don't get the sale
They guys the make the equipment don't make it
The guys thqat stock the vending machines at our place and the equipment makers place don't stock the vending machines because there is no one buying their products.
The guy that services the vending machine companies truck doesn't service them because they are not running as much.
They guy that sells them the tires for the truck doesn't sell them tire well, becuase they don't need tires because the truck is sitting.
The guys that grow the rubber for the tires didn't make the sale of raw materials because the tire company isn't making and selling tires.

And there are a dozen other strings of this scenario.
See, not every one gets sustenance from the Gov't. NIPPLE!!
Some people work, work hard and are proud of their hard work.
And actually creating something.
Now, they can't.

Now......the guys who lost their original jobs won't be getting the new appliances this year, you see, they are unemployed and scared to death by what is happening.
Obama's magic fife no longer is leading the children, they are truly scared.
They are seeing him for what he is.

I see NO light at the end of this tunnel as to when we can recall them.

Put that in your BONGS and smoke it!!

It's not a joke and it's not funny.
And that is only 1 small peice.

Or....we can sit back and wait for Obama to fix it all up for us!!!!:D

RK

Goose
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM

I'd probably just take a vacation to Martha's Vineyard and maybe play some golf and work on my swing.

We live in Cuba now.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I know very well what AR is. And since Bush's economic policies took effect, my AR has grown substantially! And not because I'm billing more.

I was not aware that Obama put in place a regulation prohibiting borrowing against AR. Silly me just thought the banks that we bailed out took that money and re-invested it to make themselves profit, instead of loaning it to SBs, which is slightly more risky right now. Since I no longer run my own business, I haven't been keeping such a keen eye on policies that affect SB, but seems I recall Obama talking about policies to encourage banks to loan their money to SB instead of hoarding it. That would be goobermint interference though, and we don't want that.

I do not have a bong to put anything into and smoke. Perhaps you could loan me one of yours? ;)

gman0046
08-19-2010, 05:32 PM
dnf the first thing you need to accept is Obongolo's a FRAUD. His stimulus plan and uncontrolled spending has plunged this country into debt for years to come. The unemployment rate has risen steadily since he took office with no end in sight. It's now at the highest level since the Great Depression. The facts speak for themselves. Too bad Dem's can't accept it, the stimulus plan has failed.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd probably just take a vacation to Martha's Vineyard and maybe play some golf and work on my swing.

We live in Cuba now.

I hear ya. I didn't like it when Bush took excessive vacation time, and I don't like it now either. (wow, consistency!) Not when so many Americans are suffering without work and losing everything. Seems like the right thing to do would be to scale it back a little.

But like George Carlin said (courtesy Buzz's link):

Its a big club......and you ain't in it!

road kill
08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
I know very well what AR is. And since Bush's economic policies took effect, my AR has grown substantially! And not because I'm billing more.

I was not aware that Obama put in place a regulation prohibiting borrowing against AR. Silly me just thought the banks that we bailed out took that money and re-invested it to make themselves profit, instead of loaning it to SBs, which is slightly more risky right now. Since I no longer run my own business, I haven't been keeping such a keen eye on policies that affect SB, but seems I recall Obama talking about policies to encourage banks to loan their money to SB instead of hoarding it. That would be goobermint interference though, and we don't want that.

I do not have a bong to put anything into and smoke. Perhaps you could loan me one of yours? ;)

This is why I have an issue with you on a personal level now.

You asked what I would do to kick start the economy.
I told you.
Then you say I said Obama put a hold on borrowing against AR's.
(reread the post, can't find that)

And you wonder why people are all over you.

Ridiculus to try to converse with you.

I don't have a bong, but how original.
Stop stealing my lines, try to be original and if you can't, pay closer attention at recess to what the big kids talk about.
Or pay closer attention when you and Buzz watch the Comedy Channel.

RK

Marvin S
08-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Deregulate small business credit a bit so the small businesses can borrow against AR.

I highly doubt any of you progressives (independent middle of the roaders:rolleyes:) will have a clue what I am talking about.....or you will argue the merits of borrowing against AR's.

But not only did those 2 lose their jobs, we won't be buying a new peice of equipment we were considering.

The guys thqat stock the vending machines at our place and the equipment makers place don't stock the vending machines because there is no one buying their products.
The guy that services the vending machine companies truck doesn't service them because they are not running as much.
They guy that sells them the tires for the truck doesn't sell them tire well, becuase they don't need tires because the truck is sitting.
The guys that grow the rubber for the tires didn't make the sale of raw materials because the tire company isn't making and selling tires.

Now, they can't.

Now......the guys who lost their original jobs won't be getting the new appliances this year, you see, they are unemployed and scared to death by what is happening.

RK

Good Post! Just hope a few have a rudimentary understanding of AR.

The other night I was at a committee meeting for our City Council. Few people attend these unless they want something so I am generally the lone participant. But our 7 member City Council is made up of 5 people from the public sector & a couple of people who have not been in charge of much ;-).

The city has a water right from a significant fish bearing stream that they have been overdrawing since the 1st day back in the late 1800's. Recently there was a court action that said you need to follow the law which stated simply "Do not draw more water than you can beneficially use".

There have been 2 failed attempts at doing something costing close to $75K. Now they want to do something that is more stupid than the previous two attempts & more costly! I suggested they have someone from a private concern or two that specialize in water control look at the problem & suggest a solution.

One of the council members, a former high level administrator at the local institution for the challenged, asked how much that would cost. I stated nothing, they look for work in the private sector & don't normally take money for something they can't fix. She could not believe that.

Now, if you don't like the way the government is run - don't elect people who are from the public sector, they started the problem & didn't fix it. They do not have a clue on problem solving & as you can see, the concept of having someone look at something for ideas prior to solicitting bids is also foreign to them.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 06:46 PM

I told you.

Stop stealing my lines, try to be original and if you can't, pay closer attention at recess to what the big kids talk about.

RK

You're losing it.
Your posts are becoming more and more rambling, and incoherent.

I never accused you of saying Obama put holds in place. I said I'm not aware he did, prefacing my comment that he was trying to free up money from banks who are currently sitting on it. (YOU re-read the post, and see where I said that!)

You look at the whole picture, then microdissect lines and miss the big picture.

You tell me to put something in my bong. Here's the quote cut and pasted from your post, so you don't accuse me of false citations:

Put that in your BONGS and smoke it!

I don't partake of marijuana, nor any other inhalant, other than occasional cigars. Don't be so sensitive when the joke is turned back on you. It is a joke, ya know.

You have become famous for starting vicious wars by mis-quoting and out-of-context quoting. Very atypical for you. You used to take pride in the concise, one-liners. Are you really RK? Or is the real RK tied up in the corner and some clever teenager is nit-picking posts on your computer?

Gerry Clinchy
08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
It was mentioned on Medved Monday that the private sector may be sitting on up to $1.3 trillion that they are reluctant to invest due to the uncertainty of what kinds of regulations & taxes the Ds have up their sleeves.

BrianW
08-19-2010, 07:17 PM
we won't be buying a new peice of equipment we were considering.

Actually the business I work for (70 people) is buying a new piece of equipment to automate a process, instead of hiring.

Don't have to buy health insurance for it, pay unemployment insurance etc. Don't have to worry about it getting pregnant and using the breast feeding expression room that I've heard must be provided for in companies that have over 50 workers thanks to O-care :rolleyes:

Not only that, but I heard we got a SWEEET deal on it just to get it out of the supplier's inventory. Which will be less taxes for their local gov.org.

Cody Covey
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
You're losing it.
Your posts are becoming more and more rambling, and incoherent.

I never accused you of saying Obama put holds in place. I said I'm not aware he did, prefacing my comment that he was trying to free up money from banks who are currently sitting on it. (YOU re-read the post, and see where I said that!)

You look at the whole picture, then microdissect lines and miss the big picture.

You tell me to put something in my bong. Here's the quote cut and pasted from your post, so you don't accuse me of false citations:

Put that in your BONGS and smoke it!

I don't partake of marijuana, nor any other inhalant, other than occasional cigars. Don't be so sensitive when the joke is turned back on you. It is a joke, ya know.

You have become famous for starting vicious wars by mis-quoting and out-of-context quoting. Very atypical for you. You used to take pride in the concise, one-liners. Are you really RK? Or is the real RK tied up in the corner and some clever teenager is nit-picking posts on your computer?So your post had no real point then if you weren't accusing RK of saying Obama put those regulations in place? Bush didn't put those regulatios in place either and just like your post it has no point in this thread...

M&K's Retrievers
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM

I have already been informed that my AR ( health insurance commission income) will be reduced 50% effective 1/1/11 for new business as well as business I have in force. This is thanks to Obama Care. As a result, I have let my one employee go, canceled my E&O coverage, moved my office to my home, canceled postage meter, phone lines, bottled water, etc., won't burn as much fuel or eat out as much. This effect of Obama Care has never been addressed but will have a negative impact on the economy.

This guy has not done one thing to benefit our economy. Because of him, Reid and Pelosi, people are scared to death to spend any money.We live in a small lakeside/resort community. Almost 40% of the properties here have been on the market for the last 18 months with only one sale.

They have to go. Soon.

dnf777
08-19-2010, 08:17 PM
So your post had no real point then if you weren't accusing RK of saying Obama put those regulations in place? Bush didn't put those regulatios in place either and just like your post it has no point in this thread...

These petty hen pecking comments are tiresome. You guys knock yourselves out

depittydawg
08-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Now, they can't.

RK

Cash on hand is not an issue for small business or large business. The problem is a lack of buyers. Nobody wants to expand business while facing a lack of demand. Lack of demand is is a direct result of the successful Republican led assault on the middle class consumer starting with Reagan and moving right to the present. You want to stimulate the American economy, bring back jobs. Demand comes before supply. That's a simple fact of economics.
The biggest cause of job loss in America is our international trade policies. What is needed mediately is to utilize tariffs and tax policy to give business incentive to build what is purchased by American's in America.
The lesson of the last 20 years is that what is good for Wall Street is NOT necessarily good for America.

ducknwork
08-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Now, they can't.

RK

You should type more than one sentence more often.:)

ducknwork
08-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Obongolo's

How many more syllables are you planning to add?:rolleyes:

gman0046
08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Duck. have you ever Googled Obongo?

luvmylabs23139
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
You should type more than one sentence more often.:)

+1
RK gave a real response to the question, not one filled with political bs, yet the liberals can't acknowledge a real life example.:confused::confused::confused:

road kill
08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Interesting.

Dave pm'd me telling me that you conservatives were telling him how worried you are about me because of my posting habits changing.

Based on these responses Dave made that up.
Maybe the side of his head is just gtting sore!!!! (~%
Thanx fellars!

RK

Cody Covey
08-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Cash on hand is not an issue for small business or large business. The problem is a lack of buyers. Nobody wants to expand business while facing a lack of demand. Lack of demand is is a direct result of the successful Republican led assault on the middle class consumer starting with Reagan and moving right to the present. You want to stimulate the American economy, bring back jobs. Demand comes before supply. That's a simple fact of economics.
The biggest cause of job loss in America is our international trade policies. What is needed mediately is to utilize tariffs and tax policy to give business incentive to build what is purchased by American's in America.
The lesson of the last 20 years is that what is good for Wall Street is NOT necessarily good for America.

Didn't Reagan create over 20million jobs AND have wages increase while being the only recent president not to raise minimum wage? He was before my time so just looking for a history lesson~

Hoosier
08-20-2010, 11:56 AM

I told you.

RK

you hit it on the head.

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Interesting.

Dave pm'd me telling me that you conservatives were telling him how worried you are about me because of my posting habits changing.

Thanx fellars!

RK
I was happy to see you put up a real post. What I didn't understand in your post is what regulations limit receivable financing? I will admit that in all my years of business I never used receivable financing (or any other borrowing) for my business simply because of my own conservatism. If I could not afford to finance the receivable associated with new work myself, I didn't take on the work. The fact that I was in an industry where bills were routinely paid 90-120 days late was one of the reasons for my decision. However, I was clearly in a minority. Traditionally, banks have been willing to finance 75% of the value of receivables under 90 days, while the SBA finances 50% of receivables under 90 days. The types of documentation needed on the quality of receivables has varied depending on source.

Did something change in Federal regulation, or did lenders become more conservative because of loan losses that they have experienced?

The administration has had two bills pending for months to try to expand loans available to small businesses: H.R. 5297 (Small Business Lending Fund Act of 2010) and H.R. 5486 (Small Business Jobs Tax Relief Act of 2010). Both have passed the House and are awaiting action in the Senate but are currently blocked by an absence of Republican support.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
GOP amendments included measures to beef up border security, impose a government spending cap and lower the estate tax, which is scheduled to return next year with a top rate of 55 percent on estates larger than $1 million.

One Republican amendment would repeal a new tax reporting requirement for businesses that was included in the massive health care overhaul enacted last spring.

Democrats, meanwhile, have added about $1.5 billion in disaster relief for farmers who lost crops in 2009, a measure sponsored by Sen. Blanche Lincoln, D-Ark.

Democrats also want to add an amendment to settle long-running class-action lawsuits brought by black farmers and American Indians.

One lawsuit concerned the government's management and accounting of more than 300,000 trust accounts of American Indians. The other is a discrimination lawsuit brought by black farmers against the Agriculture Department. The cost of settling them both: about $4.6 billion.

The small business tax cuts in the bill include breaks for restaurant owners and retailers who remodel their stores or build new ones. Other businesses could more quickly recover the costs of capital improvements through depreciation. Long-term investors in some small businesses would be exempt from paying capital gains taxes.

Much of the bill would be paid for by allowing taxpayers to convert 401(k) and government retirement accounts into Roth accounts, in which they pay taxes up front on the money they contribute, enabling them to withdraw it tax-free after they retire. Taxpayers who convert accounts this year would pay the taxes in 2011 and 2012, generating an estimated $5.1 billion.

This excerpt was taken from an online articel

Doesnt sound too unreasonable to me.......... They want something done with our borders...... can you blame them. Obama is just throwing money at another issue. They are likening this to the bank bailout. The are extending the banks abilities, not small business owners. SUPPOSEDLY..... it will make more funds available to small business owners........ IF THE BANKS WILL LEND. Go try and get a small business loan right now........ ROFL........ Just helpin the banks out, thats all Obama does........

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
GOP amendments included measures to beef up border security, impose a government spending cap and lower the estate tax, which is scheduled to return next year with a top rate of 55 percent on estates larger than $1 million.

One Republican amendment would repeal a new tax reporting requirement for businesses that was included in the massive health care overhaul enacted last spring.

Democrats, meanwhile, have added about $1.5 billion in disaster relief for farmers who lost crops in 2009, a measure sponsored by Sen. Blanche Lincoln, D-Ark.

Democrats also want to add an amendment to settle long-running class-action lawsuits brought by black farmers and American Indians.

One lawsuit concerned the government's management and accounting of more than 300,000 trust accounts of American Indians. The other is a discrimination lawsuit brought by black farmers against the Agriculture Department. The cost of settling them both: about $4.6 billion.

The small business tax cuts in the bill include breaks for restaurant owners and retailers who remodel their stores or build new ones. Other businesses could more quickly recover the costs of capital improvements through depreciation. Long-term investors in some small businesses would be exempt from paying capital gains taxes.

Much of the bill would be paid for by allowing taxpayers to convert 401(k) and government retirement accounts into Roth accounts, in which they pay taxes up front on the money they contribute, enabling them to withdraw it tax-free after they retire. Taxpayers who convert accounts this year would pay the taxes in 2011 and 2012, generating an estimated $5.1 billion.

This excerpt was taken from an online articel

Doesnt sound too unreasonable to me.......... They want something done with our borders...... can you blame them. Obama is just throwing money at another issue. They are likening this to the bank bailout. The are extending the banks abilities, not small business owners. SUPPOSEDLY..... it will make more funds available to small business owners........ IF THE BANKS WILL LEND. Go try and get a small business loan right now........ ROFL........ Just helpin the banks out, thats all Obama does........
What everyone knows in Washington at this point is that the way to kill something is to tack on amendments that the other guy won't accept. If border security is a good thing, the Republicans should submit a bill addressing it. The same could be said of the other items. (By the way, both the Indian Affairs and Ag Dept lawsuits make it clear that the represented groups were injured to the tune of billions by actions that, if done by people in the private sector, would have placed those government officials in jail. The Bureau of Indian Affairs systematically stole money from native American accounts that we required to be managed by the Bureau. The Agricuture Department systematically and deliberately discriinated against minority farmers in administering crop subsidy and loan programs, driving tens of thousands of farmers out of business.)

Ultimately, there is no effective way for the government to be the direct lender to small businesses. What the bills do is provide additional funds to community banks -- who were not big beneficiaries of bailout funds -- and tax incentives to loan more funds to small businesses. Whether that will prove effective is another question. I think the real issue is that banks have simply, and understandably, become more conservative in lending. That creates a drag on businesses that were living on cash flow loans. However, it may also be the right thing from a credit perspective.

The SBA has always been more conservative in the amounts it would loan than banks. However, that has made it the lender of last resort so that it is also taking on some larger risks. What I have not found is any indication of a Federally imposed freeze on receivable loans as indicated in RK's original post. I am not saying there wasn't one, but I am not aware of it and would like to see a reference.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 01:21 PM
With the pissing match that congress has become..... do you really think a Republican sponsored bill would go anywhere???? Seriously Yardley, the republicans only way to get things done is to piggyback and bargain with the Democrats at this point..... I would think you should know this. I agree with most of what you said, but to say that the republicans should introduce their own bill,........... Cmon......

dnf777
08-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Interesting.

Thanx fellars!

RK

I stand by what I said.
However PMs are sent in confidence, as was that conversation with you.
You have violated that trust, and are not longer an honorable person in my book.
Thank you for the cigars, I enjoyed them when I thought you were a stand up guy. Now I know the truth.

I am truly saddened at the loss of what I thought was a friend.

There, all said in public, so you don't need to blab a PM to everybody.

road kill
08-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I was happy to see you put up a real post. What I didn't understand in your post is what regulations limit receivable financing? I will admit that in all my years of business I never used receivable financing (or any other borrowing) for my business simply because of my own conservatism. If I could not afford to finance the receivable associated with new work myself, I didn't take on the work. The fact that I was in an industry where bills were routinely paid 90-120 days late was one of the reasons for my decision. However, I was clearly in a minority. Traditionally, banks have been willing to finance 75% of the value of receivables under 90 days, while the SBA finances 50% of receivables under 90 days. The types of documentation needed on the quality of receivables has varied depending on source.

Did something change in Federal regulation, or did lenders become more conservative because of loan losses that they have experienced?

The administration has had two bills pending for months to try to expand loans available to small businesses: H.R. 5297 (Small Business Lending Fund Act of 2010) and H.R. 5486 (Small Business Jobs Tax Relief Act of 2010). Both have passed the House and are awaiting action in the Senate but are currently blocked by an absence of Republican support.

I do not know.
I think it was more a banking policy than any regulation.

Maybe fear of what's coming.
Talk to any professional in the finance industry, brokers, investers etc.
They all pretty much tell the same story.
They are all pretty worried.....no.....they are scared shitless!!

RK

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Whoa! PM privacy has been violated...... maybe congress should investigate....... Here is the tip of the day.

Trust no one on the internet.

Just in case your momma never warned ya.

dnf777
08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Whoa! PM privacy has been violated...... maybe congress should investigate....... Here is the tip of the day.

Trust no one on the internet. There are several folks here that I trust to keep a confidence, and one I no longer trust. Its just a matter of decency. Most have it--some don't.

Just in case your momma never warned ya.

I would be happy to repost the ENTIRE coversation so folks can see what the context of the conversation was, but I honor the privacy of others, if that is what was intended.

don't worry swab, I don't say anything in PMs I wouldn't say on the forum....maybe just a little less polished and PC.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 01:53 PM
DNF......
I could give two $hits...... Sorry, just found it funny you call him out on the board personally, rather than relay your supposed "disgust" in private. Not that he didnt maybe deserve it. Pot.... meet kettle.

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 01:54 PM
With the pissing match that congress has become..... do you really think a Republican sponsored bill would go anywhere???? Seriously Yardley, the republicans only way to get things done is to piggyback and bargain with the Democrats at this point..... I would think you should know this. I agree with most of what you said, but to say that the republicans should introduce their own bill,........... Cmon......
It's done for one reason and one reason only. To kill the bills. As Mitch McConnell said “I wish we had been able to obstruct more." (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/us/politics/15memo.html?_r=2&scp=5&sq=mitch%20mcconnell&st=cse) By the way, he was commenting on how much legislation the Obama administration has managed to get through Congress for those who continuously accuse the administration of having done nothing in the last two years.

I do not know.
I think it was more a banking policy than any regulation.

Maybe fear of what's coming.
Talk to any professional in the finance industry, brokers, investers etc.
They all pretty much tell the same story.
They are all pretty worried.....no.....they are scared shitless!!

RK
I think that is accurate. Unfortunately, it does have exactly the effect you indicated. People can't borrow, and they therefore cut back which has a negative effect on the economy as a whole. Unfortunately, we also know that excessive borrowing is exactly what led to the boom during 2003-2006, and the crash that followed. At this point, no one knows where to find a solid middle ground, or even if there is one. I suspect that the middle ground is one that has us living within our means as individuals, as companies, and as a country. The result of that will be a further contraction in the economy, in profits, and in personal incomes.

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Yardley, I completely agree........ but Im pretty sure its so they can get what they want also........ Ironically, the only part of the bill I am concerned with ...... is what the republicans want. They can throw 30 billion in the water (banks) if they want. Isnt gonna change a thing.... and I think the Republicans know this. Look how well the almost trillion has helped......LOL Sorry, kind of ranting......

road kill
08-20-2010, 02:07 PM
DNF......
I could give two $hits...... Sorry, just found it funny you call him out on the board personally, rather than relay your supposed "disgust" in private. Not that he didnt maybe deserve it. Pot.... meet kettle.

:shock:

RK

troy schwab
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
RK,
NO OFFENSE BUDDY!!!! ROFL But who knows what came out your piehole.......... Think of it as a disclaimer.......LOL

ducknwork
08-20-2010, 02:19 PM
It's done for one reason and one reason only. To kill the bills. As Mitch McConnell said “I wish we had been able to obstruct more." (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/us/politics/15memo.html?_r=2&scp=5&sq=mitch%20mcconnell&st=cse) By the way, he was commenting on how much legislation the Obama administration has managed to get through Congress for those who continuously accuse the administration of having done nothing in the last two years.

If you are strongly against something and the 'other guys' refuse to work with you, it only makes sense to use any means necessary to stop it until they realize that the two sides MUST work together, rather than one group getting it's way. They should look up the words compromise and bipartisan in the dictionary.

This petty D vs R thing sucks. Instead of trying to do what is good for the D's or good for the R's, I wish they would do what is good for the USA.

aandw
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
i would like for them to vote on each item instead of pigging back so much through. the d's are saying the r's are against helping small business that is a crock. they may be against the poop that goes along with the bill.

YardleyLabs
08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
If you are strongly against something and the 'other guys' refuse to work with you, it only makes sense to use any means necessary to stop it until they realize that the two sides MUST work together, rather than one group getting it's way. They should look up the words compromise and bipartisan in the dictionary.

This petty D vs R thing sucks. Instead of trying to do what is good for the D's or good for the R's, I wish they would do what is good for the USA.
I absolutely agree. Remember that for when Republicans are in control and Democrats return the favor. They never have in the past to anything even close to current practices, but I think most Democrats believe that it is time to do so the next time around. Had Democrats followed the Republican approach with Bush's court nominations, he would not have been able to appoint a single judge during his eight year term. Instead, Democrats blocked 10 judges after approving more than 800 and Republicans threatened the nuclear option. The one plus to a Democratic loss of control will be seeing how the same shoes fit on the other feet.

depittydawg
08-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Didn't Reagan create over 20million jobs AND have wages increase while being the only recent president not to raise minimum wage? He was before my time so just looking for a history lesson~

I don't know what Reagan's job creation stats were. I'm sure you can look it up. I do know the top down economic theory was embraced by Reagan. I also know that real wages in the US have been in decline for many years.

I also know that during the Clinton years a lot of jobs were created. Mostly service jobs while manufacturing jobs disappeared. Ross Perot was right about NAFTA. We are still feeling the effects. That sucking sound that is America's jobs moving out of the country has less to do with Economic cycles and more to do with Trade and Tax Policy. A borrowed opinion from many experts that I subscribe to.

ducknwork
08-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I absolutely agree. Remember that for when Republicans are in control and Democrats return the favor. They never have in the past to anything even close to current practices, but I think most Democrats believe that it is time to do so the next time around. Had Democrats followed the Republican approach with Bush's court nominations, he would not have been able to appoint a single judge during his eight year term. Instead, Democrats blocked 10 judges after approving more than 800 and Republicans threatened the nuclear option. The one plus to a Democratic loss of control will be seeing how the same shoes fit on the other feet.

I would hope that at some point, someone just decides to act like adults and work together. But I'm not holding my breath.

YardleyLabs
08-21-2010, 06:04 AM
I would hope that at some point, someone just decides to act like adults and work together. But I'm not holding my breath.
I would love the same. Unfortunately, over the last 20 years I do not think the "guilt" has been evenly distributed.Democrats worked with Reagan, Bush 41, and even Bush 43. Republicans have tried to do everything short of a coup d'etat to avoid working with either Clinton or Obama. While it may not seem so from your perspective, Reagan and Bush 43 were at least as radical in their politics as Clinton and Obama. More than anything else, the 1996 Republican Revolution created a new era of nastier partisanship than had been seen at any other time after Roosevelt.

Franco
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Why would any member of the GOP want to work with Obama?

He has yet to support any legislation that would be good for the USA!

What happened in Ayn Rand's narrative is coming to pass today, with an anti-business administration reviling private industry, capitalizing on crisis to expand the Federal Government and redirect investment within and between sectors of the economy — setting quotas, prices and compensation. Businesses responded by retrenching — ceasing to invest, innovate and expand. Whole industries contracted, closed down, or moved offshore; much like the U.S. gas and oil drilling industry is doing today. Then, just as now, management became frustrated and discouraged, reluctant to create jobs in an environment of excessive government meddling.