PDA

View Full Version : So….. they have this flood in Pakistan

Ken Bora
08-22-2010, 11:55 AM
So….. they have this flood in Pakistan

Driving around running errands the other morning and hitting seek on the truck radio. Just crap on and kept seeking. Ended up on the NPR station and the British sounding guy reporting on the flood in Pakistan. I stopped for a bit. Fricken huge flood. 1/5 of the country. Thousands dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. Tragedy of biblical proportion. So British guy is interviewing Pakistan government guy who is complaining about the amount of help from the world Pakistan is getting. Comparing it to tidal wave in Indonesia and famine relief in Africa. Says Pakistan is being destroyed and they desperately need help. Food, clean water and tents.

And I’m driving along in the truck thinking…………. Maybe if their public image was not so bad they might be getting more help. Maybe if all the poppy fields and terrorists hiding spots were not there. Or Bin Ladin’s Cave.

Guy said the terror leaders will use this to spark resentment to the west. Don’t they have that already?
I feel there must be a great many wonderful loving folks, who are dead or dieing because of this terrible flood.
But in the 20 second news bits I am used to, when I hear flood in Pakistan I simply quickly wonder, “Will bin ladin wash out of his cave?” or “Will the poppy fields wash away for a season?”
And that makes me sad, that, that is how my mind works.
Yet, isn’t it odd. That a group of folk hiding illegally in an impoverished country while they work so hard at a “religious” revolution. Are being hit so hard by a flood?
Divine intervention?

subroc
08-22-2010, 01:00 PM
seek in VT? you have more than one station up there? JK...

Guy said the terror leaders will use this to spark resentment to the west. Don’t they have that already?

it appears any thing the west does will accomplish that. Action or inaction matters not.

---------------------------------------------------

road kill
08-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Driving around running errands the other morning and hitting seek on the truck radio. Just crap on and kept seeking. Ended up on the NPR station and the British sounding guy reporting on the flood in Pakistan. I stopped for a bit. Fricken huge flood. 1/5 of the country. Thousands dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. Tragedy of biblical proportion. So British guy is interviewing Pakistan government guy who is complaining about the amount of help from the world Pakistan is getting. Comparing it to tidal wave in Indonesia and famine relief in Africa. Says Pakistan is being destroyed and they desperately need help. Food, clean water and tents.

And I’m driving along in the truck thinking…………. Maybe if their public image was not so bad they might be getting more help. Maybe if all the poppy fields and terrorists hiding spots were not there. Or Bin Ladin’s Cave.

I feel there must be a great many wonderful loving folks, who are dead or dieing because of this terrible flood.
But in the 20 second news bits I am used to, when I hear flood in Pakistan I simply quickly wonder, “Will bin ladin wash out of his cave?” or “Will the poppy fields wash away for a season?”
Yet, isn’t it odd. That a group of folk hiding illegally in an impoverished country while they work so hard at a “religious” revolution. Are being hit so hard by a flood?
Divine intervention?

Nope....when Obama was elected and went on his apology tour everything was jake then.:D

RK

Marvin S
08-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Divine intervention?

:) :) :) - Ken, you're just a little to logical. I guess it's OK to provide nuclear secrets to some of the biggest mobsters in the ruling class, but ___________________________, we'll let some of the resident lefty's fill in the blanks.

YardleyLabs
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
In a perfect world we would probably have little to do with Pakistan. In the real world, the biggest challenges we will face over the nsxt 15-30 years have nothing to do with terrorism or Islam. They will have to do with China. As China's economy surpasses our own (less than 10 years), and its political and military power grow exponentially, we will have a limited number of critical potential allies in the area: Japan, Korea, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Taiwan, and whatever we can salvage from the Middle East.

I suspect that we will lose influence in Taiwan. Our influence in India will always be tempered by their own competition with us for resources and trade. Pakistan and Afghanistan are China's access to Middle East oil -- most specifically Iran and Iraq. If we lose influence in most of these countries, we will probably lose our access to both Asian and Middle Eastern resources. We are already in the process of losing access to African resources to China as well and have a hostile relationship with Venezuela. Our road to energy independence may prove both shorter and less under our control that we will like.

Gerry Clinchy
08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
The US has sent or has prepared to send quite a lot of aid. Has China sent any help? I didn't see that mentioned in the news stories even on the mainstream media.

subroc
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Regardless of what aid the United States gives we can count on some UN a$$hole telling us it isn’t enough.

depittydawg
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
The US has sent or has prepared to send quite a lot of aid. Has China sent any help? I didn't see that mentioned in the news stories even on the mainstream media.

I saw an interview on OPB news yesterday with the Pakistan Foreign Minister. Sounds like quite a disaster. China has given some aid. As have other countries. Pakistan is an ally in the War against Al Qaida. They are walking a tightrope.

I heard an interview the other day that what is happening does fit the climate models that the majority of the science community now accepts as fact. At some point, there isn't enough aid to send everywhere. I see today that China is having massive flooding also.

subroc
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM
...I heard an interview the other day that what is happening does fit the climate models that the majority of the science community now accepts as fact...

I just laughed right out loud.

depittydawg
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I just laughed right out loud.

I would expect nothing else from you.

Julie R.
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Have no fear, the good Senator John Kerry is over there apologizing that we've only given them $150,000,000 so far. Wonder how much of his hard earned money he married he'll pledge?

david gibson
08-22-2010, 11:49 PM
I saw an interview on OPB news yesterday with the Pakistan Foreign Minister. Sounds like quite a disaster. China has given some aid. As have other countries. Pakistan is an ally in the War against Al Qaida. They are walking a tightrope.

I heard an interview the other day that what is happening does fit the climate models that the majority of the science community now accepts as fact. At some point, there isn't enough aid to send everywhere. I see today that China is having massive flooding also.

good ole gullible you.

its called the Law of Uniformitarianism. no surprise. doesnt take resurrection of einstein to figure that one out.

and its the majority of academic scientists that take it as fact, not the majority of scientists overall, and certainly not those in applied science.

M&K's Retrievers
08-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Have no fear, the good Senator John Kerry is over there apologizing that we've only given them $150,000,000 so far. Wonder how much of his hard earned money he married he'll pledge?

My guess is Kerry will match the amount that DS gives. That would be $0.:razz:

luvmylabs23139
08-23-2010, 10:04 AM

We have given those idiots way more than we should have. Lets just finally play hard ball.
You want aid then give up Bin Laden, end of story,
NO BO no cash!!!!!
I'm tired of having the gov't steal my hard earned money and give it away.
SCREW THEM!!!!!!!

Franco
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
We have given those idiots way more than we should have. Lets just finally play hard ball.
You want aid then give up Bin Laden, end of story,
NO BO no cash!!!!!
I'm tired of having the gov't steal my hard earned money and give it away.
SCREW THEM!!!!!!!

I agree! We should have demanded OBL when we gave them 40 million last month to build dams.

NO MORE AIDE without conditions!

Roger Perry
08-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Nope....when Obama was elected and went on his apology tour everything was jake then.:D

RK

Your guy lost the election get over it.

luvmylabs23139
08-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Your guy lost the election get over it.

YOur guy is destroying this country everday he holds office! Realise it!!

Roger Perry
08-23-2010, 01:50 PM
YOur guy is destroying this country everday he holds office! Realise it!!

I would not want to see what this country would be like if McCain/Palin had won the election. McCain did not know one day from the next if the U.S. economy was in good shape or not in good shape. McCain even stated he was not knowledable about economics. If you say well he had advisors for that here is what one said-------

McCain Advisor Says Economy in Good Shape as Major Banks Fail (http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/mccain-advisor-says-economy-in-good-shape-as-major-banks-fail)

Posted by rko (http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/author/rko/)

Writing about the economy in today’s Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091202415.html), McCain economic advisor Donald Luskin says, “Things today just aren’t that bad.” He even concludes his column by stating, “Maybe this will turn out to be the best of times — at least since the Great Depression.”

http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/mccain-advisor-says-economy-in-good-shape-as-major-banks-fail

Franco
08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I would not want to see what this country would be like if McCain/Palin had won the election. McCain did not know one day from the next if the U.S. economy was in good shape or not in good shape. McCain even stated he was not knowledable about economics. If you say well he had advisors for that here is what one said-------

McCain Advisor Says Economy in Good Shape as Major Banks Fail (http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/mccain-advisor-says-economy-in-good-shape-as-major-banks-fail)

Posted by rko (http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/author/rko/)

Writing about the economy in today’s Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091202415.html), McCain economic advisor Donald Luskin says, “Things today just aren’t that bad.” He even concludes his column by stating, “Maybe this will turn out to be the best of times — at least since the Great Depression.”

http://www.asianamericansforobama.com/mccain-advisor-says-economy-in-good-shape-as-major-banks-fail

That's no excuse for the piss-poor job the current administration is doing.

I seriouly doubt that McCain would have gotten us so much deeper into financial trouble like Obama has done.

Hew
08-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I would not want to see what this country would be like if McCain/Palin had won the election. McCain did not know one day from the next if the U.S. economy was in good shape or not in good shape.
Apparently neither did Obama, who one month after being sworn in parrotted the same thing that McCain said (and was ridiculed for): "the fundamentals of our economy are sound."

It's been about 20 months since your boy has been in office. How's the real estate bidness, Roger?

Roger Perry
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Apparently neither did Obama, who one month after being sworn in parrotted the same thing that McCain said (and was ridiculed for): "the fundamentals of our economy are sound."

It's been about 20 months since your boy has been in office. How's the real estate bidness, Roger?

It could be worse. The company I worked for went out of business when Bush was President.

road kill
08-23-2010, 03:05 PM
It could be worse. The company I worked for went out of business when Bush was President.

Even though you would never bring that up......

RK

ducknwork
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I would not want to see what this country would be like if McCain/Palin had won the election.

What do you think McCain would have done so much differently?

Roger Perry
08-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Nothing, he would have followed in Bush's footsteps like Obama.

Roger Perry
08-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Even though you would never bring that up......

RK

I was asked how the real estate business was and I told the truth. In 2005 the mortgage company/real estate company I worked for was forced to close its doors because the economy was so bad. I knew of other mortgage company employees sitting around doing nothing because the phones were not ringing and no business was to be had selling real estate either.

gman0046
08-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Sorry guy's the flood in Pakistan sounds like a Paki problem to me.

Hew
08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I was asked how the real estate business was and I told the truth. In 2005 the mortgage company/real estate company I worked for was forced to close its doors because the economy was so bad. I knew of other mortgage company employees sitting around doing nothing because the phones were not ringing and no business was to be had selling real estate either.
Ah, I see. Your company was specialized. Instead of concentrating on the Haitian, Cuban and Overtown markets you guys should have put your money into the very lucrative Florida real estate boom market of the mid-2000's. I didn't know it was possible for a mortgage/real estate broker to go out of business back then...unless their building burned down, they had no insurance and underage prostitutes/drug mules were found buried in the charred rubble. But yes, I'm sure Bush lit the match.

road kill
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Oh....I understand Roger, you were FORCED to bring up Bush's name!!;-)

RK

luvmylabs23139
08-23-2010, 09:17 PM
2005???????? The market was booming here in NC. Nothing listed for more than 30 days.
Don't blame that on Bush, someone was mismanaging the company.
A made a ton flipping houses.

ducknwork
08-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I would not want to see what this country would be like if McCain/Palin had won the election.

Nothing, he would have followed in Bush's footsteps like Obama.

Then why would you hate to see the country if McCain had won if even you admit that it wouldn't be any different than Obama? Does that mean that you hate to see what Obama has done as well?

Am I the only one who is confused here??

JDogger
08-23-2010, 10:20 PM
2005???????? The market was booming here in NC. Nothing listed for more than 30 days.
Don't blame that on Bush, someone was mismanaging the company.
A made a ton flipping houses.

Who is "A" ? Yourself?

If the "system" has been so kind to you? Why do you keep finding such fault with it?
If indeed, you have been successful, why not praise the USA, your adopted country, rather than criticize it at every turn?

Blame Bush? Blame Obama?

Why blame any Chief executive of the last five or six decades?

We're to blame, because we allowed the changes that happened to happen.

Mr. Jensen says it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BVqIjKyJh0

It is just a movie...but it speaks...JD

Do you "get" it yet?

It is not politics or parties. We are already "owned" JD

Roger Perry
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree! We should have demanded OBL when we gave them 40 million last month to build dams.

NO MORE AIDE without conditions!

Fine, let the Taliban and Al Queda give them aid and see who they will be loyal to.

2labs
08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Roger,
Do YOU honestly believe in your mind that if we give them all the aid they ask for it will change their loyalty in the big picture? Birds of a feather.........
The US will waste our tax money "helping out those in need" and in the end will still be defending our homeland from the terrorist that country proudly raises.
Just a question Roger, how long did you serve in the military?

Ken Bora
08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Fine, let the Taliban and Al Queda give them aid and see who they will be loyal to.
And this morning the same British sounding feller on the radio reported that they (the terrorists) released through their spokesperson. And if I may branch off here, how the heck can terror organizations hiding in a cave…. Have a spokesman?????
Said they will attack/open fire upon, any foreign aid workers! What to do now?

road kill
08-27-2010, 07:59 AM
And this morning the same British sounding feller on the radio reported that they (the terrorists) released through their spokesperson. And if I may branch off here, how the heck can terror organizations hiding in a cave…. Have a spokesman?????

Bow!!:D

RK

Gerry Clinchy
08-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Roger Perry http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=665833#post665833)

I might suggest that one can't "buy" loyalty for very long.

To gain trust, one has to have a long-term committment to whatever it is that is being espoused. The Taliban and AQ have that in their part of the world. And then they use horrific methods to keep the ordinary people in line.

Roger Perry
08-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Roger,
Do YOU honestly believe in your mind that if we give them all the aid they ask for it will change their loyalty in the big picture? Birds of a feather.........
The US will waste our tax money "helping out those in need" and in the end will still be defending our homeland from the terrorist that country proudly raises.
Just a question Roger, how long did you serve in the military?

So, you suggest we do nothing to help the people in need? Do you think all of them are terrorists?

And by the way, I spent 4 years of my life in the U.S. Navy serving my Country in the Viet Nam era and when I got out of the Navy, I left with an honorable discharge.

ducknwork
08-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Bow!!:D

RK

Don't forget 'apologize'.

Roger Perry
08-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Wouldn't that get the terrorists out in the open to be attacked by either drone or armed helicopter military personnel to protect any foreign aid workers?

ducknwork
08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't that get the terrorists out in the open to be attacked by either drone or armed helicopter military personnel to protect any foreign aid workers?

Aren't you always complaining about the death toll in the middle east? Is it really worth the lives of more Americans to help someone who only wants to shoot at you?

If you knew that your dog was going to attempt to latch on to your jugular when you fed it, would you still go dump food in it's dish?

Roger Perry
08-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Aren't you always complaining about the death toll in the middle east? Is it really worth the lives of more Americans to help someone who only wants to shoot at you?

If you knew that your dog was going to attempt to latch on to your jugular when you fed it, would you still go dump food in it's dish?

Wasn't the objective of starting the war in Afghanistan to kill or capture terrorists even though they now tucked tail and headed for Pakistan?

ducknwork
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Wasn't the objective of starting the war in Afghanistan to kill or capture terrorists even though they now tucked tail and headed for Pakistan?

I thought you wanted to pull out now and have our guys quit getting killed because we shouldn't have gone there in the first place??? Now you want them to risk their lives to help the very people who are trying to kill us? You are a very confusing man Mr. Perry...

Roger Perry
08-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I thought you wanted to pull out now and have our guys quit getting killed because we shouldn't have gone there in the first place??? Now you want them to risk their lives to help the very people who are trying to kill us? You are a very confusing man Mr. Perry...

Obama did not start the war, he has to take what was given to him. Now he has to do the best he can with what he has to get us out of there. Same for Iraq. Unless you are saying everyone living in Pakistan is a terrorist, the citizens there still need help with food, potable water and medical supplies.

ducknwork
08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Obama did not start the war, he has to take what was given to him. Now he has to do the best he can with what he has to get us out of there. Same for Iraq. Unless you are saying everyone living in Pakistan is a terrorist, the citizens there still need help with food, potable water and medical supplies.

Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot.:roll:

road kill
08-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Just curious Roger, who started the war??

(this ought to be good:D)

RK

Ken Bora
08-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I kind of sort of agree with this. I mean the wonderful folk in New Orleans shot at us and we still helped them, right?
Kind of like when God and Satan were chatting about Sodom and Gomorra…… what was the phrase?
“If one good man” or something like that. I know you guys can fill in the actual Old Testament text for me, you always do.
But I feel there is probably a few good folk living through that terrible flood and if my country can help….
But they want to shoot at us ……………
Gosh! And I do not ask this sarcastically….. what the heck did we ever do to them?
For real, what did we do???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

subroc
08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
...But I feel there is probably a few good folk living through that terrible flood and if my country can help...

maybe it is a good thing to help, maybe not.

...But they want to shoot at us ……………
Gosh! And I do not ask this sarcastically….. what the heck did we ever do to them?
For real, what did we do?...

Nothing. Do we or you ever reach a point where the reason no longer matters?

I am not one that always searches for the reason. Sometimes the act is enough to completely override my need to know. Will I remain a bit curious? Sure. But, would I need to know why someone is shooting at us? No. just shoot back.

Some people have a pretty small thrashed for what is a slight for what they perceive as a slight or insult. If someone like that tried to explain their reasoning to me, I probably wouldn’t understand it anyway.

subroc
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
And by the way, I spent 4 years of my life in the U.S. Navy serving my Country in the Viet Nam era and when I got out of the Navy, I left with an honorable discharge.

thank you for your service.

what does this mean though?

were you a combat troop that served in Viet Nam?

depittydawg
08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Roger,

I don't recall Terrorists from Pakistan attacking the US. The 9-11 killers were from Saudi Arabia. Pakistan is, and has been an ally to America and the West in fighting terrorism. In fact many many more Pakistani's (is that what you call them?) have died at the hand of the Terrorists than Americans. They are on the front line. And they need help. If you want to combat Islamic Terrorism, you need to support Pakistan.

Roger Perry
08-28-2010, 10:19 AM
thank you for your service.

what does this mean though?

were you a combat troop that served in Viet Nam?

No, I was not ordered to serve in Viet Nam but had I been sent there I would have gone without hesitation. I was in the U.S. Navy from 1965 to 1969. I was at a duty station in Maryland, sent to basic electronics school in Great Lakes Ill., sent to radio school in Bainbridge Maryland and then my orders were to report to Norfolk Va. to serve aboard the U.S. Henley (destroyer) and then transferred to the USS William M. Wood which made a Med. (Italy, Greese, Turkey, Malta and Spain) cruise for 6 months. I ended my enlistment June 1969 while still aboard the USS William M. Wood (destroyer)

depittydawg
08-28-2010, 10:43 AM
No, I was not ordered to serve in Viet Nam but had I been sent there I would have gone without hesitation. I was in the U.S. Navy from 1965 to 1969. I was at a duty station in Maryland, sent to basic electronics school in Great Lakes Ill., sent to radio school in Bainbridge Maryland and then my orders were to report to Norfolk Va. to serve aboard the U.S. Henley (destroyer) and then transferred to the USS William M. Wood which made a Med. (Italy, Greese, Turkey, Malta and Spain) cruise for 6 months. I ended my enlistment June 1969 while still aboard the USS William M. Wood (destroyer)

Sounds like the Navy career every young man dreams of. :)

Roger Perry
08-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Perry http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=668060#post668060)

Sounds like the Navy career every young man dreams of. :smile:

It wasn't bad, my first ship the USS Henley was based in Norfolk Va. We took cruises up and down the east coast taking reservists on their 2 week tour of duty. Been to Nova Skosha,(sp?) Boston, New York, Savannah Ga., Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Puerto Rico (4 to 5 times) St. Johns Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamahs you know real tough duty.

blind ambition
08-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Perry http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=668060#post668060)

It wasn't bad, my first ship the USS Henley was based in Norfolk Va. We took cruises up and down the east coast taking reservists on their 2 week tour of duty. Been to Nova Skosha,(sp?) Boston, New York, Savannah Ga., Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Puerto Rico (4 to 5 times) St. Johns Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamahs you know real tough duty.

Nova(New) Scotia (Scotland)
Skosha is a corruption of the Japanese sukoshi meaning "little" or "a bit"
which you could use in a sentance such as:
" while docked in Nova Scotia I got got hammered on just a skosha of Screech, which a fisherman I met had just brought over from the Rock"

Know your Canadian eh!

Roger Perry
08-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Nova(New) Scotia (Scotland)
Skosha is a corruption of the Japanese sukoshi meaning "little" or "a bit"
which you could use in a sentance such as:
" while docked in Nova Scotia I got got hammered on just a skosha of Screech, which a fisherman I met had just brought over from the Rock"

Know your Canadian eh!

I am not much on spelling but I must have had a bunch of that Screech you were referring to.