PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Ebonics Translator for Federal DEA Job

luvmylabs23139
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Wanted: Ebonics Translator for Federal DEA Job

Ebonics Back in the Spotlight More Than a Decade After Explosive Linguistic Debate

By SARAH NETTER

Aug. 23 ,2010

The U.S. Department of Justice is looking for fluent Ebonics speakers to fill nine drug enforcement jobs, giving merit to a dialect that experts say is often mimicked and little understood.

The federal Drug Enforcement Administration translators would work out of the Atlanta field office according to a Justice Department request, posted online today by The Smoking Gun.

The request is again drawing attention to the form of speech that was hotly debated in the '90s after a California school district passed a resolution recognizing the legitimacy of what is now more commonly referred to as "African-American English."

Ebonics detractors often characterize the speech as poor grammar or lazy English, but linguists say it has an important place in history.

John Braugh, a leading expert on African-American English, and chairman of the Linguistic Society of America's public relations committee, said having trained translators on staff with the DEA could provide an invaluable service.

Such experts, he said, would likely be used -- as with many federal linguists -- to assist with wiretaps and linguistic profiling, when a person's accent or dialect can help lead investigators to the criminal.

"They probably want reliable expertise to make sure they've got an accurate interpretation for what is said," he said."Because there's the perception in many minds that you don't need a translator, people believe they've understood something when they haven't."

Though Baugh applauded the Justice Department for recognizing the relevance of Ebonics in society, he questioned whether it may be unwittingly throwing itself back into a political debate by using the term "Ebonics."

The word still carries a negative connotation more than a decade after the Oakland, Calif., school board ignited a national firestorm of debate when it proposed teaching some students in Ebonics. Political figures and pundits from then Education Secretary William Bennett to the Rev. Jesse Jackson blasted the decision at the time. The debate later became fodder for late night comedians.

But while African-American English may seem like a uneducated form of traditional English to some, Baugh said it has roots in the slave trade, when Africans with no access to education were forced to find a shared language.

Slave-traders, he explained, would often separate groups of slaves who spoke the same dialect, leaving the men and women with no way to verbally communicate. So they learned a rough version of standard English together, without the help of formal education or literacy skills.

"To say that it's a bastardization is cruel," he said. "The reality is that the linguistic consequences of slavery are greatly misunderstood."

DEA spokesman Mike Sanders said the request for the translators was made by the Atlanta field office.

"It has nothing to do with racial issues," Sanders said. "It is a type of language recognized by different linguist services as a type of language."

The DEA's Atlanta field office did not return calls seeking comment on the jobs.
According to the proposal, the Atlanta field office is also looking for 144 Spanish linguists, 12 Vietnamese, and nine each for Korean and Farsi.

The Linguistic Society of America has shied away from taking an official stance on whether Ebonics is a legitimate language, but has said the fact that it's spoken with such frequency means it cannot be ignored.

"Characterizations of Ebonics as 'slang,' 'mutant,' 'lazy,' 'defective,' 'ungrammatical,' or 'broken English' are incorrect and demeaning," the LSA wrote in its 1997 resolution on Ebonics.

Now I've heard it all. :rolleyes:

YardleyLabs
08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
If this upsets you, think how much more upset you might feel that the FBI couldn't understand anything being said in wiretaps used to trace criminal activities. I'm sorry, sir, we didn't know that a drug deal was going down because they were speaking a language we don't understand but we were afraid that we would upset the good British citizens of North Carolina if we hired someone who might help.

road kill
08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
If this upsets you, think how much more upset you might feel that the FBI couldn't understand anything being said in wiretaps used to trace criminal activities. I'm sorry, sir, we didn't know that a drug deal was going down because they were speaking a language we don't understand but we were afraid that we would upset the good British citizens of North Carolina if we hired someone who might help.

WHAT???

RK

YardleyLabs
08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
WHAT???

RK
Why do you think the FBI, sorry DEA, is looking to hire "ebonics" translators?

dnf777
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
They could hire those guys from the Airplane movie.

Florence Henderson was the translator. Hilarious!

But Shirley, you're joking!

luvmylabs23139
08-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Actually my southern born redneck husband sent this to me.
He was wondering if southern redneck also requires translation!
Give me a break, I speak with a totally American, but yankee accent.
The fact that the DEA can't understand what other Americans are saying is a sad situation. Didn't those people take English in school? How they pass out of the first grade?:rolleyes:

ducknwork
08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I watched Swamp People on the History Channel last night...Now THAT is another language! I almost had to turn on the closed captioning on my tv!

ducknwork
08-25-2010, 07:19 AM
But while African-American English may seem like a uneducated form of traditional English to some, Baugh said it has roots in the slave trade, when Africans with no access to education were forced to find a shared language.

Haven't they had plenty of access to education since then so they can learn to speak correctly? Once again, slavery is being used for an excuse, 150 years after it was abolished. Gimme a break.

zeus3925
08-25-2010, 07:36 AM
The fact that the DEA can't understand what other Americans are saying is a sad situation. Didn't those people take English in school? How they pass out of the first grade?:rolleyes:

They don't teach Ebonics in the first grade.

Languages do develop dialects over time. Maybe, Luv, you could be a Geordie translator. Or how about Strine, Scouse or Manx?

Ken Bora
08-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Why would you need to speak properly and clearly if all you do is sit on the stoop and wait for your government check and load of WIC?
This is not yet another after effect of the terrible slave trade of our past. It is an after effect of our terrible welfare system. You do not need the Queens English to sell drugs and cash checks at Wal-Mart. Criminals have always used words inappropriately to cover their activity. Law enforcement has always been a steep behind trying to figure them out. Nothing new here.

Pals
08-25-2010, 07:49 AM
I work(until Thursday) near a college town. Pretty sure slaves did NOT say "sup dude, fliedown wid tat" and other such nonsense that makes me shake my head. Totally agree with Ken on where this "language" slang developed.

Off to train my dawg, dawg..............

badbullgator
08-25-2010, 07:52 AM

Education level is not the point, the point is that they do not understand what they are saying. How or why makes little difference. There are people all over this country that are hard to understand because of where they came from. I know a guy from Wales and I bet you couldn't understand half of what he says. I had many professors that you really had to work to understand. Now that said most of the examples I mentioned are not your normal every day drug dealers, however, the ebonics crowd is. If they need someone who understands that mush mouth speak to do their job so be it. What is the big deal?
As pointed out above, I would bet you when the DEA/FBI or what not goes to Cajun country they take someone along who "speaks the language"

Hew
08-25-2010, 08:08 AM
They don't teach Ebonics in the first grade.

Languages do develop dialects over time. Maybe, Luv, you could be a Geordie translator. Or how about Strine?
Strine and Geordie...learned some new words today. Thanks, Zeus.

My wife's friend was over at our house with her 4th grade son a couple of years ago. The kids were playing in another room and I can hear the friend's son teaching a couple of my girls a catchy little rap song and accompanying dance (bear in mind, the son is whiter than Beaver Cleaver). It was a happy little fun song about Superman. As they're singing along with the seemingly nonsensical lyrics I catch one phrase..."Supaman dat ho!" Say what? I run up to the computer and find the lyrics, then I needed the Urban dictionary to translate the lyrics. Doh! The mom was a tad more mortified than I was that her son was teaching my pristine daughters a sexually explicit rap song. I say thank goodness for ebonics translators. ;-) Now I gots to git on up out my hizzy and git to work.

BrianW
08-25-2010, 09:23 AM
...learned some new words today.

then I needed the Urban dictionary (?) to translate the lyrics. .

Wow, now I learned something today too, there's a "urban dictionary".:(
It's pretty sad, imo, when our language degenerates so much that someone had to spend the time to develop something like this. I don't have as much of a problem with DEA or FBI trying to find out "wuz down in da hood" but rather that it lends a legitimacy to the "gutter speak" dialect.
The justification of 'ebonics' as a cultural derivation that should be tolerated, or worse yet encouraged, in the name of "diversity" :rolleyes: is just further proof that we are losing our real culture
ie- : enlightenment and excellence of taste acquired by intellectual and aesthetic training

Franco
08-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I watched Swamp People on the History Channel last night...Now THAT is another language! I almost had to turn on the closed captioning on my tv!

Love that show! Gives people an idea of how we live south of I-10.

http://www.history.com/shows/swamp-people/videos/tyler-the-dog#tyler-the-dog

Who needs roads and utilites when you have bayous and moonlight.

Nothing like wrestling alligators, gigging frogs and playing with snakes for that well-rounded education!;-)

luvmylabs23139
08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I know a guy from Wales and I bet you couldn't understand half of what he says. I had many professors that you really had to work to understand. "

I bet I can understand everything the guy from Wales says.
As for professors, I had way too many of those that did not speak English. Thankfully they were all math or physics professors so numbers are numbers.
I just skipped large lecture hall classes anyway as they were a waste of time,might as well just hit the book.
I did complain about every prof that did not speak fluent English. Of course their were students that complained about one of the math profs that spoke English,English, go figure.:rolleyes:

badbullgator
08-25-2010, 11:08 AM
fo shizzle my nizzles

ducknwork
08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Yo bra-dis dood be talkin wit ebonics fo sho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeoOR_NWHyo

gman0046
08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
They don't speak English but know how to line up for welfare checks.

YardleyLabs
08-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Given that whites receive more from welfare than blacks, they must have figured that out as well.

road kill
08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman0046

Given that whites receive more from welfare than blacks, they must have figured that out as well.

Two equally pathetic posts.

RK

dnf777
08-25-2010, 02:18 PM
To equally pathetic posts.

RK

Is that a toast?

road kill
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Is that a toast?
Oh....a gotchya moment.

Is mommy proud?

Both posts were very sad and indefensible, yet somehow, Lil' Yardley comes to the rescue of Big Yardley and in his own way, defends him.

Hahahahaha!!!!

Yep, in my haste, watching the market soar, I miss typed.
And you, sitting there on someone elses, found the error!!
What productivity!!

Good job!!;-)

RK

gman0046
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Great posts from yardley and little yardley (dnf).

dnf777
08-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh....a gotchya moment.

Is mommy proud?

Both posts were very sad and indefensible, yet somehow, Lil' Yardley comes to the rescue of Big Yardley and in his own way, defends him.

Hahahahaha!!!!

Yep, in my haste, watching the market soar, I miss typed.
And you, sitting there on someone elses, found the error!!
What productivity!!

Good job!!;-)

RK

I didn't realize I found an error. I though you were toasting to pathetic posts, since you seem to have a penchant for them!

And I don't know if my mommy is proud. She is busy taking care of her 90 year old father, and worrying about a spot they found on her chest x-ray. But thanks for asking. That was really nice of you.

road kill
08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I didn't realize I found an error. I though you were toasting to pathetic posts, since you seem to have a penchant for them!

And I don't know if my mommy is proud. She is busy taking care of her 90 year old father, and worrying about a spot they found on her chest x-ray. But thanks for asking. That was really nice of you.

Again.....back to the point, two very sad posts.

RK

gman0046
08-25-2010, 06:59 PM
dnf, i wonder how you'd fell if an ebonics speaker came to take out your daughter. Thank God we don't have them where I live. It must be common in pennsylvania.

Cody Covey
08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
dnf, i wonder how you'd fell if an ebonics speaker came to take out your daughter. Thank God we don't have them where I live. It must be common in pennsylvania.

No black folk in FL huh?

dnf777
08-25-2010, 07:15 PM

You are a blatant racist.

Leave my kids out of this. You ought to have the decency to know better, but since you don't, I'll tell you this: When it comes to my kids, I set the limits, and you don't get to cross them. Be very glad you said that on a computer and not to my face.

Stop wondering about me.

gman0046
08-25-2010, 07:19 PM
dnf,no one wonders about you. They know about you. It's a common Liberal tactic calling someone a racist. There's still no ebonics where i live.

Cody Covey
08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
dnf,no one wonders about you. They know about you. It's a common Liberal tactic calling someone a racist. There's still no ebonics where i live.

That you know of...

dnf777
08-25-2010, 07:24 PM

I'd rather be falsely called a liberal than accurately called a blatant racist.

Here's your quote again: Thank God we don't have them where I live.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae306/dnf777/3968.jpg

gman0046
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
dnf, I don't live in Panama City. Can't you read?

Nor_Cal_Angler
08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
You are a blatant racist.

Leave my kids out of this. You ought to have the decency to know better, but since you don't, I'll tell you this: When it comes to my kids, I set the limits, and you don't get to cross them. Be very glad you said that on a computer and not to my face.

Stop wondering about me.

I'd rather be falsely called a liberal than accurately called a blatant racist.

Here's your quote again: Thank God we don't have them where I live.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae306/dnf777/3968.jpg

How is what he typed RACIST or making him out to be RACIST....

what I read is...Thank god I dont have ebonics spoken where I live....he could simply be refering to his area or neighborhood, where ebonics is not spoken.

I absolutly do 100% have ebonics spoken where I live, matter of a fact, I am acutally young enough to understand it damn near 100%....

FREAKEN CROCK of the issues is...I could apply to this damn job and NOT GET IT BECAUSE I AM WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now have at them RACIST APPLES!!!!!!!!!!

NCA

Cody Covey
08-25-2010, 07:41 PM
according to 2000 census data 1% of the population of around 3500 are black. 5% of the city is below the poverty line. Its safe to say you have ebonics where you live gman.

dnf777
08-25-2010, 07:46 PM
How is what he typed RACIST or making him out to be RACIST....

what I read is...Thank god I dont have ebonics spoken where I live....he could simply be refering to his area or neighborhood, where ebonics is not spoken.

I absolutly do 100% have ebonics spoken where I live, matter of a fact, I am acutally young enough to understand it damn near 100%....

FREAKEN CROCK of the issues is...I could apply to this damn job and NOT GET IT BECAUSE I AM WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now have at them RACIST APPLES!!!!!!!!!!

NCA

I'm truly sorry if you were discriminated against. Its not right in either direction.

What I saw and read was a blatant racist comment IMO, and I will say so. You can read it differently, and that's fine. But I didn't see "ebonics not spoken in my neighborhood"......I saw "Thank God we don't have them where I live".

I'm quite sure they're happy they don't have HIM where they live too! I know I am.

gman0046
08-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I repeat for the ignorant, (covey and dnf) I don't live in Panama City. It's in Bay County a different county then where I live in Fort Walton County. Do you Einsteins understand that? Still no ebonics spoken there.

Cody Covey
08-25-2010, 07:51 PM
so then why does your location indicate that you do? Can you read that?

ignorance is bliss isn't it...

gman0046
08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Covey obviously you have trouble reading English. It says I live in Panama City BEACH that is in a different county then Panama City. Is that too difficult for you to understand that?

Cody Covey
08-25-2010, 07:57 PM
and the stats i quoted were from PANAMA CITY BEACH....moron....

gman0046
08-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Still no ebonics spoken where I live and there is no City anywhere's near where I live. Y'all can speak all the ebonics you like, we still don't speak it here.

Nor_Cal_Angler
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM

I'm truly sorry if you were discriminated against. Its not right in either direction.

What I saw and read was a blatant racist comment IMO, and I will say so. You can read it differently, and that's fine. But I didn't see "ebonics not spoken in my neighborhood"......I saw "Thank God we don't have them where I live".

I'm quite sure they're happy they don't have HIM where they live too! I know I am.

I have been and I am SICK of it....I will beat that horse, DEAD DEAD DEAD...the road blocks are not up aginst minorities anymore...they are up aginst YOUNG WHITE MALES....and YOUR GENERATION is putting them there!!!!!!!!!

as for what you read......and your label of someone else....you selectively read what you read...

he asked how you would feel if an ebonics speaker came to your home....and then said thank god we dont have them where he lives...

the latter refereing to the speaker...with no lines drawn between skin colors..

this "racist" shit has got to go....dont hold his poor sentence structure against him...I dont hold mine aginst me, and yours against you.

If you truly belive him to be a racist then, hey call him out, I guess you do...but I dont based upon his poor choice and way to word his sentence...he probably should have worded it like this (which is what I think he ment) ...how would you like it if an ebonics speaker came to your house, thank God we do not have people that speak like that in my neighborhood, be they black, white, asian, hispanic or what ever.

NCA

dnf777
08-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I have been and I am SICK of it....I will beat that horse, DEAD DEAD DEAD...the road blocks are not up aginst minorities anymore...they are up aginst YOUNG WHITE MALES....and YOUR GENERATION is putting them there!!!!!!!!!

as for what you read......and your label of someone else....you selectively read what you read...

he asked how you would feel if an ebonics speaker came to your home....and then said thank god we dont have them where he lives...

the latter refereing to the speaker...with no lines drawn between skin colors..

this "racist" shit has got to go....dont hold his poor sentence structure against him...I dont hold mine aginst me, and yours against you.

If you truly belive him to be a racist then, hey call him out, I guess you do...but I dont based upon his poor choice and way to word his sentence...he probably should have worded it like this (which is what I think he ment) ...how would you like it if an ebonics speaker came to your house, thank God we do not have people that speak like that in my neighborhood, be they black, white, asian, hispanic or what ever.

NCA

I'm not going to diagram sentences, and mince words. I thought it was blatantly racist, and SAID SO. If anyone disagrees, that's their right too.

The only person in my generation I can speak for is ME, and I didn't put any public policy in place. As far as opportunity and discrimination, you may be surprised to find we're probably in agreement. I had pre-med friends who did not get accepted into medical school. We then had students who were admitted through special programs, two of which failed out the first year because they were not up to snuff, and never should have been given a highly coveted, highly competitive seat in that class. I believe in merit based programs, and don't really care what color one's skin is, or how they speak, as long as I can understand them and they make sense.

Nor_Cal_Angler
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
As the father of 2 daughters, just through college, and at full price while a great many minority kids were attending for FREE, I would only change your statement to 'Whites in general'.Walt

I'm not going to diagram sentences, and mince words. I thought it was blatantly racist, and SAID SO. If anyone disagrees, that's their right too.

The only person in my generation I can speak for is ME, and I didn't put any public policy in place. As far as opportunity and discrimination, you may be surprised to find we're probably in agreement. I had pre-med friends who did not get accepted into medical school. We then had students who were admitted through special programs, two of which failed out the first year because they were not up to snuff, and never should have been given a highly coveted, highly competitive seat in that class. I believe in merit based programs, and don't really care what color one's skin is, or how they speak, as long as I can understand them and they make sense.

Walt,

I agree...."whites in general" would have been the proper choice...what I ment by "your generation" (most of you know, some dont, I am a considerable amount younger than most of the poster of this board) is the 60-70's FREAKING HIPPY'S, dope smoken, free love'n....everyone is equal everyone diserves their chance, make love not war, hug your tree, political correctness BLLLAAAAAGGGGGGGGG,AHHHHHHH if there is a group of people I HATE it is them....I get worked up to the point of I freakn cant even TYPE it out....

Those people are so freaken wraped up in there own BS they fail to realize that there "everybody is everybody's brother" crap is keeping this BROTHER DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

Dave,

100% agree with you!!!!!!!!!!! MERT is what works....I do it better than you, preform better than you, test better than you, and EARN it one on one....then SORRY BUDDY or BUDDY'ET....better try your hand at something ELSE!!!!!!!!!

NCA

depittydawg
08-25-2010, 09:48 PM
I work(until Thursday) near a college town. Pretty sure slaves did NOT say "sup dude, fliedown wid tat" and other such nonsense that makes me shake my head. Totally agree with Ken on where this "language" slang developed.

Off to train my dawg, dawg..............

Groovy baby

depittydawg
08-25-2010, 09:52 PM

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.... It's a duck.

depittydawg
08-25-2010, 09:57 PM
.the road blocks are not up aginst minorities anymore...they are up aginst YOUNG WHITE MALES....and YOUR GENERATION is putting them there!!!!!!!!!

NCA

Depends on what kind of a job you're going for. It you're stuck in low skill jobs, then you're probably right. White Collar jobs, minorities and women still have an uphill climb.

Nor_Cal_Angler
08-25-2010, 10:22 PM
seriously DAWG...

Young White Males have the uphill battle in todays world....ALL AROUND

long walk in the FOREST, with your raincoat on regards,

NCA

YardleyLabs
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
seriously DAWG...

NCA
I would love to see you put together the statistical analysis that lends any credence to your assertion.

Nor_Cal_Angler
08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
And I would love to see the tie-die shirt you wear burnt....but we both know neither are gonna happen....

NCA

Personal accounts:

2001 Davis FD Passed by 3 hispanics and a female for a position.
2003 San Francisco FD received a confirmation of 978 out of a possible 1000 points on a written exam, 2 members of my vol. FD both minorities confirmed and showed me thier scores one 875 the other 846 and a third person I do not know personally scored in the low 800's all three are hired, I didnt even make it to the oral board.
2005 City of Pittsburg where I now live, written letter to inform me that I was "over qualified" for the position I was going for..two minorities later hired.
2006 City of Richmond FD, passed over due to the Black Firefighters union, complaining that not enough Black applications were turned IN to even hold the test...
2006 Grass Valley FD, passed over after ranking in the top 5 to "meet federal hiring requirments" and 2 females were hired
2006 Reno FD, passed over for Federal Quato hiring requirements
2006 Contra Costa Sheriff's passed over during chiefs oral boards due to minority hiring requirements.
2007 City of Tracy FD ranked in the top 25 and passed over for black and asian hiring requirements...

Not exactly sure about Tracy FD, I may have taken that test in 2005, I would have to pull my file but I think it was 2007...What you would have to understand is that NO one, others in my boat included, would EVER EVER call anyone (city, county or agency) out on these practicies because we would be "BLACK LISTED" and to do so would 100% ensure we woudl NEVER be given a fair shake with any other test we took (geographically speaking) departments and personal do talk....as in ..."hey, this guy your considering is a trouble maker"...

As well, in these accounts...I am not giving you an example of a test or hiring process where I ranked out at 150 out of 200 going for a 3 position process...which has happend to me...there are and have been MULTIPLE times where I didnt make the cut, not by a longshot and I own up to it...these accounts and I have more are where I tested and when all was said and done I was with in striking dististance to a postion..like ranking in the top 10 out of 500 for 8 positions....etc etc

Take off the blinders!!!!!!

depittydawg
08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
seriously DAWG...

NCA

"I thinks it is very difficult for everyone in this economy. Very similar to the world I stepped into in the 70's. But for different reasons. When I finished High School, and tried to find good work, most good jobs were taken by the WW2 generation, who had not retired yet.

In today's world, so many jobs have been outsourced to foreign lands and cheap labor,that American workers have a very difficult time once again. And on top of that, low skilled workers also have to compete against foreign labor right here in the US. This thanks to the immigration policies set forth during Reagan's administration that were desined to created a class of worker that had no status and therefore no rights. Guess what. It worked.
Seriously though, I don't think race plays much of a factor. At least not where I live.

Terry Britton
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Why do you think the FBI, sorry DEA, is looking to hire "ebonics" translators?

After the crooked ATF/DEA and Police busts in Tulsa, it sounds like another section of the DEA is trying to justify bringing in gang members on the Federal payroll since the drug business may be hurting during the recession?

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12439075

What will it take to get some accountability back in our government?