PDA

View Full Version : Gator Season 2010

Franco
09-05-2010, 08:28 PM
How 'bout these babies? Nothing like Fall in Louisiana!

What's for dinner? Dinosaur!

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/gumboyaya_2009/gator2.jpg

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/gumboyaya_2009/gators1.jpg

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/gumboyaya_2009/41260_147217111978437_100000704461831_277078_30914 22_n.jpg

Gerry Clinchy
09-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Yucky! Are gators finally off the endangered species list? Seems like there are now more gators all over the south than anyone really needs.

Franco
09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
They been off the list for nearly 35 years.

Gator fisherman bring thier catch to the Processor (cooler photo).

They get skinned, then the meat is deboned from the arms, legs and tail. Heads are sold in tourist shops. Most of the skins go to Italy after they've been tanned.

Pictures are of wild gators. We have gator farms that harvest them at 4 foot.

Gerry Clinchy
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I thought that Florida still protected them quite a bit ... but gators are one of the reasons I like living in the north :-)

It appears that very little goes to waste.

Doesn't look like any of those buggers are less than 4 ft!

david gibson
09-05-2010, 10:32 PM
i'm headin' to baton rouge in 60 days or a bit less to pick up a new pup..........i can always use some gator meat. whats the goin rate franco and can you hook me up?

Pals
09-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow!!! Some of those are huge. We are watching Swamp People right now-think we are officially addicted. Pretty neat show. Husband wants to know how much the average gator will net.

Franco
09-05-2010, 11:07 PM
i'm headin' to baton rouge in 60 days or a bit less to pick up a new pup..........i can always use some gator meat. whats the goin rate franco and can you hook me up?

Around $6.-$7. per pond. Google "CajunGrocer" and have them send you some. Any of the seafood retailers in Lafayette or Lake Charles would have it.

Franco
09-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Wow!!! Some of those are huge. We are watching Swamp People right now-think we are officially addicted. Pretty neat show. Husband wants to know how much the average gator will net.

About $125 average.

On tonight's "Swamp People" on History Channel, they showed where Troy leased some new property. He probably got it for less than $1,500 and they show him taking 39 gators out the first day. Plus, he got one on the way out after setting his bait out.

david gibson
09-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Around $6.-$7. per pond. Google "CajunGrocer" and have them send you some. Any of the seafood retailers in Lafayette or Lake Charles would have it.

last time i bought it at some mom and pop grocer/conv. store on I-10 in lafayette. dayum good stuff

david gibson
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
About $125 average.

On tonight's "Swamp People" on History Channel, they showed where Troy leased some new property. He probably got it for less than $1,500 and they show him taking 39 gators out the first day. Plus, he got one on the way out after setting his bait out.

i just dont know how you people can hunt and train with dogs in that area. i am scared to death for my dog here in the city limits of houston as it is....seen plenty of them all my life, therer are tons of them south of here, and my dog stays on lead there......them buggers care me more than bears thats for sure

Jim Harvey
09-06-2010, 05:25 AM
This is the BEST thread I have ever seen!

Franco
09-06-2010, 06:50 AM
last time i bought it at some mom and pop grocer/conv. store on I-10 in lafayette. dayum good stuff

Hebert's in Maurice and Cajun Grocer have gator sausage that is great in a gumbo. Prejean's Restaurant on Hwy 49 has gator cakes as well as fried gator and Nu Nu's has gator Sauce Piquant served over brown rice.

gman0046
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
David Gibson, I'm with you. We live in an area with numerous ponds and a tidal lake that I know contain Gators as I've seen them. I'm very hesitant to train my dogs there. No to mention all kinds of poisonous snakes that seem to be everywhere.

bobbyb
09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Bless ya'll hearts.. Cajun American been eating and trapping gators now for about 300 years !!! all along people thought we were backwards....as far as eating them not me !!!!
but that marsh hen sauce piquante ...Yum.....
BobbyB
cajun

Hew
09-06-2010, 06:05 PM
That ain't gator "hunting" in LA. That's gator "shootin' fish in a barrel." In FL you can't use baited hooks and you can't shoot them with a firearm(except with a bang stick once you've got them alongside the boat). That said, I wish we did it like LA does it...looks easy and fun and conducive to some beer drinking, and not nearly as much hard work as our regs make it.

Franco
09-06-2010, 06:51 PM
That ain't gator "hunting" in LA. That's gator "shootin' fish in a barrel." In FL you can't use baited hooks and you can't shoot them with a firearm(except with a bang stick once you've got them alongside the boat). That said, I wish we did it like LA does it...looks easy and fun and conducive to some beer drinking, and not nearly as much hard work as our regs make it.

Gator fisherman can make a couple hundred bucks a day toting sports out to do the shooting. It is a very unique experience to be on one La. style.

I went on one when they first opened the season 30 years ago. I was shooting them in the soft spot with a .22 Hornet.

Raymond Little
09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, alligator prices have been hit very hard by the worldwide recession. Prices are hovering around $7.00 per foot and very few have been trapped in the last two years. They have become such a nuisance that one land company down here has promised to pull all tags if the trappers don't thin them out. Our duck lease has limb lines on every boarder so hopefully the big ones will be caught this year. Saturday morning my S&W will be on my side just incase they get too friendly. Usually, you can just hit them in the head with a paddle to get your teal back.;)

Pals
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, alligator prices have been hit very hard by the worldwide recession. Prices are hovering around $7.00 per foot and very few have been trapped in the last two years. They have become such a nuisance that one land company down here has promised to pull all tags if the trappers don't thin them out. Our duck lease has limb lines on every boarder so hopefully the big ones will be caught this year. Saturday morning my S&W will be on my side just incase they get too friendly. Usually, you can just hit them in the head with a paddle to get your teal back.;)

Screw the duck!!!! What about your dog??? I am so not ever, ever going hunting or training in gator infested waters. Weezie would be a scooby snack. Hit em over the head.................you guys are way braver then I, by far.

Raymond Little
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
You gotta catchem with the paddle right behind the eyes to makem give back the bird. Remember, they are more afraid of you than you of them.;)
Forgot something, always bring a Golden for the decoy dog.

Pals
09-09-2010, 09:52 PM
LOL. I thought that was what cats were for when duck hunting in the swamp?

Bad Rich Bad. I firmly believe in avoiding things that can eat me. or my dog.

badbullgator
09-10-2010, 07:50 AM

Well you not supposed to use a baited hook.....hang em just about the water to keep the small ones and the turttles off of it if you were to use something like that ;-)
Trebble hook, some 40 pound braid and the fight is on w/o the bait.
Florida mis-manages there gators to the extreem. We NEED a season like LA has instead of the quota hunts we have now. Of course Florida cannot seem to even get the permit process right.

Now as far as the 2010 GATOR season goes.....we need a center, but we are still very good. Tough to lose the class we did and still be top of the heap but FL/AL in SEC championship

badbullgator
09-10-2010, 07:51 AM
You gotta catchem with the paddle right behind the eyes to makem give back the bird. Remember, they are more afraid of you than you of them.;)
Forgot something, always bring a Golden for the decoy dog.

You know sometimes when it is cold a big golden dog is too much for them. If you really want to bring them out bring a Boykin. Those little things are like crack to gators

Raymond Little
09-10-2010, 11:45 AM
You know sometimes when it is cold a big golden dog is too much for them. If you really want to bring them out bring a Boykin. Those little things are like crack to gators

Here ya but, those Goldens tend to swim in circles which will allow the black dogs to retrieve the mallards.:p

Rinaldo
09-14-2010, 08:18 AM

I'm deathly afraid of water work in Florida with my Boykin. I'm trying to figure out how and where to do it. Thus far it's been restricted to pool work.

david gibson
09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm deathly afraid of water work in Florida with my Boykin. I'm trying to figure out how and where to do it. Thus far it's been restricted to pool work.

just stick to the ponds that only have really really big gators. they wont want to expend the energy going after small dogs.... ;-)

Rinaldo
09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
just stick to the ponds that only have really really big gators. they wont want to expend the energy going after small dogs.... ;-)

LOL... thank you for the confidence boost.

ducknwork
09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/09/17/dnt.woman.shoots.gator.wpde?hpt=T2