PDA

View Full Version : It appears France has more balls than our POTUS

troy schwab
09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
France today overwhelmingly passed a law banning full face traditional muslim female dress. I also learned that Muslim is the second largest and fastest growing religion in France. At least some government has the stones to hold there traditional values intact. If you dont like the rules of our country than leave..... thats why there are so many..........LOL

gman0046
09-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Obongolo has yet to take a stance against muslims. Has anyone asked the question why?

YardleyLabs
09-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Obongolo has yet to take a stance against muslims. Has anyone asked the question why?
How could any President take a stand against a religion and still swear to uphold our Constitution? Our Constitution does not permit the government to take a stand for or against any religion.

troy schwab
09-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Yardley,
France seemed to position this issue more as a matter of security and fraternity in their nation. Please consider these measures....... if you do, then why would you disagree with what France has done? Remember our pledge of allegiance???? One nation, under God....... remember that? Do you have any feelings of nationality?????? Get real, you fence sitting legal eagle..........

dnf777
09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
If you guys like France so much, and think their government is so much better......what stopping you from going? Allons-y!

And what does "one nation, under God" have to do with this? That's also what they say in muslim countries...and that's why Sharia law is allowed to dictate women wear the exact garb you so decry.

Regardez....
dave

gman0046
09-14-2010, 04:34 PM
dnf welcome back after embarrassing yourself on the Dock Diving post. Why don't you and Yardley go live in a muslim country as you support them so? Thank God I don't live in Franklin,PA. You two are obviously in the minority on this web site or haven't you realized that?

WaterDogRem
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
What would be next, government banning Camo being worn in public? Do you really want our government to have this kind of power?

dnf777
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
dnf welcome back after embarrassing yourself on the Dock Diving post. Why don't you and Yardley go live in a muslim country as you support them so? Thank God I don't live in Franklin,PA. You two are obviously in the minority on this web site or haven't you realized that?

I too, thank God everyday that you don't live here. We have a nice, American, family-value type atmsophere here, and don't need any warped, hate-filled bigots. You wouldn't know what to do in a relaxed, tolerant atmosphere anyway.

And I'm not embarassed in the least for asking a question that several people were kind enough to answer, including Gib. Your lack of a meaningful response is as reliable as the sunrise.

YardleyLabs
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Yardley,
France seemed to position this issue more as a matter of security and fraternity in their nation. Please consider these measures....... if you do, then why would you disagree with what France has done? Remember our pledge of allegiance???? One nation, under God....... remember that? Do you have any feelings of nationality?????? Get real, you fence sitting legal eagle..........
I actually remember, and still resent, the addition of "under God" to the pledge in 1954, signed by Eisenhower -- who had been a Jehovah's Witness until he became a Presbyterian a couple of years before. Those words in our pledge, hold no more weight than any other law passed in 1954. They certainly do not define our country, and they were not put there by our forefathers, who would have been horrified at the whole notion of such a universal pledge. Interestingly, when the change was made, several organizations, including the Knights of Columbus, had already made unilateral modifications to the pledge used in all of their functions. Did that constitute an unpatriotic aberration? The pledge also says "One nation,,,indivisible". What does that say of those who, like Governor Perry and our own Franco, talk openly of splitting the country because of the impossibility of living with those of more liberal persuasions?

France is a country that does not share many beliefs that we consider fundamental. There is no 2nd amendment in France. Neither is there a 4th or 5th amendment. You are not innocent until proven guilty, and there is no guaranteed right of a trial by jury. Both prosecutors and judges are employees of the state and judges are not independent. Until relatively recently, Catholicism was the official religion of the state and laws governing things like birth control and marriage followed Canon law. The same logic used to ban Muslim dress -- that such dress is contrary to the secular values of the state -- could just as easily be used to prevent nuns from wearing their uniforms in public. In schools, a similar law has been used to ban the open wearing of the crucifix. Is that really the kind of country we want?

gman0046
09-14-2010, 06:13 PM
dnf read the Dock Diving thread again. No one supported you including David Gibson. Do I need to list all those who didn't support your BS? I believe Julie told you and your ilk what she thought of you the best.

dnf777
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
dnf read the Dock Diving thread again. No one supported you including David Gibson. Do I need to list all those who didn't support your BS? I believe Julie told you and your ilk what she thought of you the best.

Where did I say anyone supported me? If you need to have such basic comprehension pointed out to you, no wonder you can't give a knowledgable answer about anything.

gman0046
09-14-2010, 08:02 PM
dnf, your too stupid to even recognize Julie and others dumped on you for being an AH.

dnf777
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
dnf, your too stupid to even recognize Julie and others dumped on you for being an AH.

.......you win........:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Gerry Clinchy
09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Would seem to be logical basis for banning full-face concealment ... from a practical standpoint. What would a photo driver's license look like? :-)

road kill
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I go at it with dnf as good as any body here.
Never called him anything remotely similar as what you just described.

"Your"/you're out of line.

RK

Cody Covey
09-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Please check YOUR grammar before calling others stupid.

depittydawg
09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
If you guys like France so much, and think their government is so much better......what stopping you from going? Allons-y!

And what does "one nation, under God" have to do with this? That's also what they say in muslim countries...and that's why Sharia law is allowed to dictate women wear the exact garb you so decry.

Regardez....
dave

Their health system beats the crap out of our too...

david gibson
09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I actually remember, and still resent, the addition of "under God" to the pledge in 1954,.......

that tells all of us here all we ever need and have ever needed to know about you

you, sir, are the epitome of whats wrong with this country and why we are in decline

you may as well pi$$ on a norman rockwell painting.

just flat sad you are

.....They certainly do not define our country, and they were not put there by our forefathers, who would have been horrified at the whole notion of such a universal pledge.

oh, so you are so smart you can speak for our forefathers? then they must be equally horrified that "in god we trust" is on all of our currency?????

you cant be for real, but sadly, i know you are.

you have just placed yourself on par with dippity with these statements

JDogger
09-15-2010, 12:32 AM
.......you win........:D:D:D:rolleyes:

The only responce left to you Dave...why even try? JD

YardleyLabs
09-15-2010, 07:09 AM
that tells all of us here all we ever need and have ever needed to know about you

you, sir, are the epitome of whats wrong with this country and why we are in decline

you may as well pi$$ on a norman rockwell painting.

just flat sad you are

oh, so you are so smart you can speak for our forefathers? then they must be equally horrified that "in god we trust" is on all of our currency?????

you cant be for real, but sadly, i know you are.

you have just placed yourself on par with dippity with these statements
As with the pledge, the motto "In God We Trust" was a post Civil War phenomenon. It was first used on a stamp in 1864. It did not become an official motto of the country until 1956 -- part of the same Eisenhower zeal that led to the modification of the Pledge. It was no accident that our revolutionary forefathers kept God out of the Constitution. It did not evidence a lack of belief on their parts, but a stronger belief that that the government was a secular institution that should not be involved in religion. That is one of the greatest (one might even say sacred) of their legacies. Unfortunately, religious zealots have been trying to backtrack on that commitment ever since. By the way, I actually enjoy Normal Rockwell paintings, but I also enjoy comic books. I wouldn't call him one of the world's greater artists.

Gerry Clinchy
09-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Was a Bible used in the earliest ceremony of swearing in a President?

My sense would be that the majority of the founding fathers believed in some form of God. Since it was already evident at that time that there were a wide assortment of beliefs, individual freedom would have to include the freedom to worship (or not) as long as it did not interfere with any other individual's freedom to do the same ... one of those "inalienable rights" ... "endowed by their Creator." So, even if the some of the founders did not believe in any God, they acknowledged that most people did.

I'd guess that there might be some of our founders who might have been "doubtful" of the existence of God, but if they were going to be really upset about the US today, there would be a lot more things to upset them a whole lot more than seeing "under God" in the pledge or "In God We Trust" on our money!

Heck! Better to see "In God We Trust" on our money than "In Congress We Trust" ... the latter would surely be more of an abomination to the founders' goals for this country :-)

ducknwork
09-15-2010, 07:39 AM
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." --Declaration of Independence as originally written by Thomas Jefferson, 1776.

I wonder what Jefferson meant by that?:confused:

road kill
09-15-2010, 07:58 AM

Allah???

RK

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
A very good read on the state of Islam in France....... and striking similarities to the US going forward......... Have at it....

Yardley, I know you know everything, but maybe you should read it too.......might learn about how Islam is pretty much destined to take over the world, due to shitty citizenship control of immigrants, and high birthrates...... Thanks, but no thanks.

http://www.meforum.org/337/islam-in-france-the-french-way-of-life-is-in

YardleyLabs
09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
The "creator" is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution: two very different documents. It would be hard to be more generic that to use the term "creator" -- not God, not deity, not Allah. Jefferson was generally a deist, but probably had a concept of creation that was closer to Darwin than to Genesis. Among his many accomplishments was that he was one of America's earliest paleontologists and his collection of fossils may still be seen in museums today. The Declaration of independence was a call to arms. The Constitution was the legal foundation for a secular state. The only mention of religion in the Constitution is the prohibition on government "respecting" any establishment of religion or restricting any practice of religion. The only mention of "god" is in the dating of the document.

Was a Bible used in the earliest ceremony of swearing in a President?

My sense would be that the majority of the founding fathers believed in some form of God. Since it was already evident at that time that there were a wide assortment of beliefs, individual freedom would have to include the freedom to worship (or not) as long as it did not interfere with any other individual's freedom to do the same ... one of those "inalienable rights" ... "endowed by their Creator." So, even if the some of the founders did not believe in any God, they acknowledged that most people did.

I'd guess that there might be some of our founders who might have been "doubtful" of the existence of God, but if they were going to be really upset about the US today, there would be a lot more things to upset them a whole lot more than seeing "under God" in the pledge or "In God We Trust" on our money!

Heck! Better to see "In God We Trust" on our money than "In Congress We Trust" ... the latter would surely be more of an abomination to the founders' goals for this country :-)
The Presidential oath reads:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Many Presidents have added the words "So help me God", and almost all have used a Bible in the swearing in ceremony. John Quincy Adams, a Unitarian, swore his oath on a book of laws. Personally, I would rather see Presidents swear on a copy of the Constitution. I agree, and stated in my post, that the separation between the business of government and the business of religion was not a product of lack of belief in God. Virtually all of our founding fathers were theists of one form or another. However, their beliefs covered a wide spectrum, including. They had no interest in seeing government become part of religion, and believed that the way to avoid that was to prevent religion from becoming part of government. That was the context for Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists where the expression "separation of church and state" was first articulated in that form.

dnf777
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=troy schwab;676580]might learn about how Islam is pretty much destined to take over the world, due to shitty citizenship control of immigrants, and high birthrates...... Thanks, but no thanks.

I thought that was the Mexicans? I'm just not up on my ethnic world domination reading I guess..... :rolleyes:

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=troy schwab;676580]might learn about how Islam is pretty much destined to take over the world, due to shitty citizenship control of immigrants, and high birthrates...... Thanks, but no thanks.

I thought that was the Mexicans? I'm just not up on my ethnic world domination reading I guess..... :rolleyes:

No.... as usual ..... your ignorant on this topic as well............SHOCKER!

Ken Bora
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
OOOH OOOH I Know, I know!!!
We can gather in angry groups and beat them with sticks if they have the wrong type of clothing!
UmÖ.
Donít they already do that someplace? Where is that again? We wanna be more like that?????

Please, no wardrobe police in MY United States of America!

Gerry Clinchy
09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
The "creator" is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution: two very different documents. It would be hard to be more generic that to use the term "creator"

I thought the question was about our "founders" ... in which case the signers of the Declaration of Independence would qualify?

The Constitution acknowledges religion (whatever form it might take) as part of the human nature ... and assures freedom for an individual in regard to their religion, but does not take a position of "favoring" one religion (or lack thereof) over another.
That seems entirely appropriate to me.

The problem becomes when any individual, in exercise of their freedoms, interferes with the freedom of another individual to do likewise. Rule of law prevents this from happening (when we're lucky). It is in the areas of common sense and mutual respect that we get into trouble.

Evidently the French fear that their national culture is in danger. Since I don't live in France, I don't know whether that fear has any validity. If a Muslim community (in any country) places Shariah law above secular laws, then there is going to be a problem for sure. It would be most of a problem in any country church and govt are separated.

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
We can gather in angry groups and beat them with sticks if they have the wrong type of clothing!
UmÖ.
Donít they already do that someplace? Where is that again? We wanna be more like that?????

I agree Ken, no wardrobe police...... hell, they might ban pink hats!!!

But, at the same time...... where do you draw the line in the UNITED states of America...... hard to be diverse and united at the same time.......

Line in the sand regards.....

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I thought the question was about our "founders" ... in which case the signers of the Declaration of Independence would qualify?

The Constitution acknowledges religion (whatever form it might take) as part of the human nature ... and assures freedom for an individual in regard to their religion, but does not take a position of "favoring" one religion (or lack thereof) over another.
That seems entirely appropriate to me.

The problem becomes when any individual, in exercise of their freedoms, interferes with the freedom of another individual to do likewise. Rule of law prevents this from happening (when we're lucky). It is in the areas of common sense and mutual respect that we get into trouble.

Evidently the French fear that their national culture is in danger. Since I don't live in France, I don't know whether that fear has any validity. If a Muslim community (in any country) places Shariah law above secular laws, then there is going to be a problem for sure. It would be most of a problem in any country church and govt are separated.

Research this a bit, and you might be shocked to find out this is already happening...... heck, these "communities" even have procedures in place to keep the government law enforcement out of the area. I found more than one example of "communities" where if a woman in France walks down the street without her face covered....... well... lets just say bad things happened. Dont believe me, research it.... Heck, its obvious you didnt read my supporting article or you would have known most of this already......

Julie R.
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM

As long as you dragged me into this, perhaps I should help you work on your reading comprehension and learning to engage your brain before your fingers type a post. Let's read what I wrote again:

Just an observation, that isn't even directed at dnf and his ilk, but when someone apologetically states he doesn't mean to dig, or offend, it's a sure bet he fully intends to prod, dig and offend; and any preceding apologetic excuse is fraudulent as well as insincere. Qualifying boorish commentst beforehand does NOT make them any less offensive.

It was an observation in general, and I pointed out it wasn't even directed at dnf. Let me rephrase: When someone prefaces a statement with an apology and explanation that he doesn't mean to offend, one can be pretty sure the intent is, indeed to be offensive. Such sublety may be lost on you, but I never called dnf or anyone else an a**h***.

precisionlabradors
09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree Ken, no wardrobe police...... hell, they might ban pink hats!!!

But, at the same time...... where do you draw the line in the UNITED states of America...... hard to be diverse and united at the same time.......

Line in the sand regards.....

nice flip flop john kerry
________
FREE 250 GAS GIFT CARDS (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/250-gas-gift-cards/)

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
nice flip flop john kerry

I never said I agreed with the law they passed....... learn to read. I was happy that they at least took some form of opposition to the culture, religion, or whatever thay would like to call it. But thanks for the thoughtful contribution on the subject. You can have play time now......... after your nap.......

zeus3925
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
UmÖ.

Lady GaGa will be most pleased!;)

ducknwork
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
The "creator" is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution: two very different documents. It would be hard to be more generic that to use the term "creator" -- not God, not deity, not Allah.

I find it interesting that Jefferson made a point to capitalize Creator and you made a point not to. IMO, that changes the meaning significantly.

My parents are my creators, but God is my Creator.

dnf777
09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=dnf777;676603]

No.... as usual ..... your ignorant on this topic as well............SHOCKER!

Dude, take out a twist. And what's up with you're/your confusion in the attack crowd? You get that right about as much as you get your other points right! :D

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=troy schwab;676616]

Dude, take out a twist. And what's up with you're/your confusion in the attack crowd? You get that right about as much as you get your other points right! :D

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical error, I do so apologize......... Please point out the same errors in my other points........ Oh.... thats right, you know nothing of the subject matter.

Read up regards.......

dnf777
09-15-2010, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=dnf777;676714]

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical error, I do so apologize......... Please point out the same errors in my other points........ Oh.... thats right, you know nothing of the subject matter.

Read up regards.......

I'm usually not one to correct grammar and spelling, since I'm a bad offender as well, but when [your] calling someone stupid, I'd try to get it right.

Also, we have been politely asked by the POTUS creator, not to use 4 letter words. The janitor giveth, and the janitor can taketh away, so I comply with his requests.

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=troy schwab;676720]

I'm usually not one to correct grammar and spelling, since I'm a bad offender as well, but when [your] calling someone stupid, I'd try to get it right.

Also, we have been politely asked by the POTUS creator, not to use 4 letter words. The janitor giveth, and the janitor can taketh away, so I comply with his requests.

I didnt call you stupid...... I called you ignorant. Big difference. Get a dictionary.

dnf777
09-15-2010, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=dnf777;676740]

I didnt call you stupid...... I called you ignorant. Big difference. Get a dictionary.

My mistake! It was gman that said "your too stupid". You called me ignorant.
I have a hard time distinguishing between you two sometimes! I'll work on it.:rolleyes:

gman0046
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
dnf, just like most posters have difficulty distinguishing between you and Yardley.

road kill
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't see Dave or Jeff sling one tenth the mud that comes at them. I don't agree with most of their politics either, but at least I respect them.
Christ, is this the best we can do?
Walt

I tried to say that earlier, I must be on ignore.:D
Responding to errant posts is one thing, name calling is altogether a different thing.

Do what you're good at I guess.

RK

zeus3925
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't see Dave or Jeff sling one tenth the mud that comes at them. I don't agree with most of their politics either, but at least I respect them.
Walt

I agree with you, Walt. Those that get nasty have lost the argument and the respect of others in this forum.

david gibson
09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Walt

respect may be too much, i may understand where they are coming from and respect their right to their opinions, and respect them as a human being, but its hard to say i can truly respect any hard core lefty. its like saying you respect nacy pelosi and barny frank. cant do it.

"I actually remember, and still resent, the addition of "under God" to the pledge in 1954,..." yardley

and dnf calls as many names if not more than anyone - remember his recent 3 for 1 sale?

troy schwab
09-15-2010, 02:56 PM
respect may be too much, i may understand where they are coming from and respect their right to their opinions, and respect them as a human being, but its hard to say i can truly respect any hard core lefty. its like saying you respect nacy pelosi and barny frank. cant do it.

"I actually remember, and still resent, the addition of "under God" to the pledge in 1954,..." yardley

and dnf calls as many names if not more than anyone - remember his recent 3 for 1 sale?

Im with Gibson on this one......

road kill
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Hey, Big Gibby, it's me, Little Gibby (all 6'4" 225#'s of me).....

LOOKY!!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777
You are a real jerk. I mentioned my daughter in terms of her outstanding accomplisments. Lots of folks on RTF mention their family and their dogs all the time. Does that give you licence to make rude comments about them? No, it doesn't. But a jacka$$ like you doens't know the difference.

I won't get too riled though, because I know big pansies like you would never have the hangers to talk like that to someone's face. Just a bad case of Chihuahua kennel rage.
3 for 1 sale??

Just tryin to help out!!:D

RK

kjrice
09-15-2010, 03:05 PM
I just wish they'd ban mini-skirts at the White House so we wouldn't have to see Hillary's pair.

dnf777
09-15-2010, 03:10 PM

I read RKs gracious re-posting, and was quite embarrassed by those comments. You guys got the best of me on that one, and for what its worth....my apologies. I still think you're wrong 99.9% of the time, but that doesn't warrant name calling. ;)

david gibson
09-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I read RKs gracious re-posting, and was quite embarrassed by those comments. You guys got the best of me on that one, and for what its worth....my apologies. I still think you're wrong 99.9% of the time, but that doesn't warrant name calling. ;)

yeah, and i didnt even get a medal for that one

btw - you need remedial math badly

road kill
09-15-2010, 03:19 PM

You must admit though, my color selections are fabulous!!!:p

RK

charly_t
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
As with the pledge, the motto "In God We Trust" was a post Civil War phenomenon. It was first used on a stamp in 1864. It did not become an official motto of the country until 1956 -- part of the same Eisenhower zeal that led to the modification of the Pledge. It was no accident that our revolutionary forefathers kept God out of the Constitution. It did not evidence a lack of belief on their parts, but a stronger belief that that the government was a secular institution that should not be involved in religion. That is one of the greatest (one might even say sacred) of their legacies. Unfortunately, religious zealots have been trying to backtrack on that commitment ever since. By the way, I actually enjoy Normal Rockwell paintings, but I also enjoy comic books. I wouldn't call him one of the world's greater artists.

Yardley, what year did they start using the "In God We Trust" motto on coins ? Better yet did all coins start having the motto at the same time ?
I find this very interesting stuff. Thanks in advance.

YardleyLabs
09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Yardley, what year did they start using the "In God We Trust" motto on coins ? Better yet did all coins start having the motto at the same time ?
I find this very interesting stuff. Thanks in advance.
It was first used in 1864 on a coin. It did not become normal on coins and currency until 1908, when a law was passed requiring it on most currency. It did not become universal on all coins until 1938. Most people had assumed that the national motto was E Pluribus Unum (One from Many) since it was included on the Great Seal. However, prior to 1956 there was no national motto. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust)

depittydawg
09-15-2010, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=troy schwab;676744]

My mistake! It was gman that said "your too stupid". You called me ignorant.
I have a hard time distinguishing between you two sometimes! I'll work on it.:rolleyes:

Once they circle the wagons, you're an easy target...

depittydawg
09-15-2010, 10:52 PM

you might want to go read the posts that enticed that reaction from you. I've never started a thread with an insult on this, or any board, except maybe in jest. But I'm not all that good at ignoring them when they come flying my way either. And they do fly around here at times. But I agree, I'm usually embarrassed when I let my reactions get the best of me.

Guess thats a benefit from using these boards. Helps build a little self control. Or at least reminds us once in a while why it's important.

david gibson
09-15-2010, 11:18 PM
you might want to go read the posts that enticed that reaction from you. I've never started a thread with an insult on this, or any board, except maybe in jest. But I'm not all that good at ignoring them when they come flying my way either. And they do fly around here at times. But I agree, I'm usually embarrassed when I let my reactions get the best of me.

Guess thats a benefit from using these boards. Helps build a little self control. Or at least reminds us once in a while why it's important.

good point. he was foolish from the get-go, but man enough to admit it.

Franco
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Viva la France, we should follow thier policy!