PDA

View Full Version : Small Business

Buzz
09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Republicans have turned the phrase "small business" into a brand. They are all about protecting the little guy.

Curious what you think of when you hear that phrase? What is a small business?

And, what do you make of this?

Schieffer: Only three percent of those ‘Small Business’ people you keep talking about – all the ‘Small Business’ people, they’re going to be taxed – only three percent would be affected by that. Do you quarrel with that figure? Is that a right figure or a wrong figure?

Boehner: Well, it may be three percent, but it’s half of ‘Small Business’ income. Because, obviously, the top three percent have half of the gross income for those companies that we would term ‘Small Businesses.’

If 3% of small business owners make half of all small business income, then how small would you reckon their small business is? More on that later...

M&K's Retrievers
09-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Republicans have turned the phrase "small business" into a brand. They are all about protecting the little guy.

Curious what you think of when you hear that phrase? What is a small business?

And, what do you make of this?

If 3% of small business owners make half of all small business income, then how small would you reckon their small business is? More on that later...

I honestly have no idea but I do know that I am 'cause I'm the only employee. Can't get much smaller than that.:D

Buzz
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I honestly have no idea but I do know that I am 'cause I'm the only employee. Can't get much smaller than that.:D

We're not much bigger with 3 full time and 3 part time employees.

ducknwork
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I would consider a small business to be like my father in law's plumbing company. I think he employs 5 or 6 people, not including himself.

M&K's Retrievers
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
In the group insurance business, small business is generally considered 1-50 employees. This covers a lot but seems to me to be a reasonable definition.

M&K's Retrievers
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
We're not much bigger with 3 full time and 3 part time employees.

"How many employees do you have working for you?" "Oh, about half".

troy schwab
09-23-2010, 01:24 PM
The description of small business is part of the problem. My family's business employs 52 people and we move about 5-6 million in product a year. That being said, we are constantly competing against much larger corporations, with WAAAY more buying power. We sell down the street, outside sales, and regularly compete with five or more vendors. We have seen our margins shrink dramatically over the past few years, as have most small businesses. This is the problem we face..... until buying power is regulated (which wont happen), the small business owner is in big trouble. The formation of buying groups, and the power of big business will always prevail, particularly in a shitty economy. Hopin we can make it ten or twenty more years...... my grandfather started this business in 1952, I would hate to see it go down.