PDA

View Full Version : Dove Hunting Advice.....

road kill
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Tomorrow, for the first time in my life (at 58+) I am going dove hunting.

Any advice??
Ammo??
(using 2-3/4 #6 steels as we have to here on state land)
Camo?
ETC.

BTW--I posted this here because you guys will be straight with me......maybe??:D

The RTF thread gets a little testy for me sometimes!;-)

RK

troy schwab
09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
# 6 's are pretty big for dove..... I normally use 8 or 9 sometime 7 1/2........ with sixes the long shots could get interesting because you will have plenty of holes in your pattern for a dove to sneak through..... I would use a light mod choke with sixes.....JMO. (BTW, if your looking for table fare, sixes might hurt those chances) If you can get the smaller shot, you can prolly go to skeet or imp cyl. choke. Have fun, a field full of those fast flyin critters is a BLAST!!!!!

road kill
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
# 6 's are pretty big for dove..... I normally use 8 or 9 sometime 7 1/2........ with sixes the long shots could get interesting because you will have plenty of holes in your pattern for a dove to sneak through..... I would use a light mod choke with sixes.....JMO. (BTW, if your looking for table fare, sixes might hurt those chances) If you can get the smaller shot, you can prolly go to skeet or imp cyl. choke. Have fun, a field full of those fast flyin critters is a BLAST!!!!!
I wanted 7-1/2, Gander Mntn was all out.
6's was as small as I could get.
My buddy says he has some 7-1/2's and 8's.
I am looking for a couple of retrieves for Elvis and it will be a great day!:D

Dove hunting has only been legal here for a few years or so.
I was out of bird hunting for a while, but we are back.

Anxious for duck season as well.

RK

M&K's Retrievers
09-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Camo is pretty important but we have worn Hawaiian shirts at times
Mojo Dove is great they do work
7 1/2 or 8 bring more shells than you think you need
plenty of h2o
hunt water holes in the PM
this may sound stupid but move to where the birds are flying. a lot of guys stay put
stool
zip lock bags
thick skin for misses:D
Elvis will have a blast except for the feathers
bacon, Italian dressing, jalapeno peppers, onions, charcoal, grill

JDogger
09-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Don't go with Dick Cheney ;-)

Franco
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Biggest problem I see with most dove shooters is that they are over-gunned. Down here we can only shoot 15 with Eurasian doves as bonus birds. Other problem I see down here is folks bring a dog in 90 degree plus heat. Pesonally, I rather be shooting dove than constantly hydrating my dog.

Do what works for you but my preference;

410ga #9 shot in a 2.5 inch load, 26 inch barrel
camo umbrella with stand
iced water in cooler
energy bars

Hew
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Shooting glasses or sun glasses are a biggie....it's not uncommon to get peppered by others.

A radio to listen to college football games.

A jug of sweet tea.

A bag of boiled peanuts.

You may have to come South if you want good examples of the last 3 items on that list. ;-)

kjrice
09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I use #7 steel when on WMA's (law). I have used #6 low brass steel when I ran out of 7's but I make sure to let them get out there a little bit or open up the choke more. With lead, it is 8-9's.

TN_LAB
09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't go with Dick Cheney ;-)

I know where you're coming from. Why is this in the POTUS section? :p

Cheney doesn't hunt doves, he hunted Quayles :p

M&K's Retrievers
09-24-2010, 03:45 PM

I get enough humiliation with a 12ga.:oops:

dnf777
09-24-2010, 03:50 PM
20ga side by side

camo vest

5 gallon bucket turned upside down

I follow the KISS principle with dove.

BonMallari
09-24-2010, 03:56 PM
use improved cylinder choke in the shotgun (if you have that option)..since its the later part of the season the birds will generally be vary wary and will flare at the least little movement and probably fly just a touch higher...if its a morning hunt...look for the feed..if its an afternoon hunt look for the water or the roost

Cody Covey
09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
6 shot steel is fine. You guys have to remember this is steal shot so this is at best comparable to a 7 1/2 shot load maybe even 8's

M&K's Retrievers
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I think I'd rather shoot myself rather than use steel on doves. Next it will be steel on cranes and turkeys.:(

Cody Covey
09-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I think I'd rather shoot myself rather than use steel on doves. Next it will be steel on cranes and turkeys.:(

I've seen steel turkey loads :)

BonMallari
09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
if the enviros and anti gunners get their way, we will be using steel/non tox for shooting skeet/trap/sporting...

Franco
09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
I get enough humiliation with a 12ga.:oops:

The problem with larger guages when the shooting is hot and heavy is the flinching.

Back when the group I hunted with were very young men including myself, we didn't pay any attention to limits. We all shot 410's and 20's and often walked out of the field with 60 -120 birds each.

It all came to an end in the mid-70's when Federal and State agents encircled our field and busted the group. The landowner had nearly 150 birds piled in front of him, cold beer in hand, shooting with one arm and his field hand retrieving birds. I was lucky as I'd put 15 birds in a brown paper grocery bag and hide in the hedgerow. When they approached me, I had no booze and I was carrying under my limit.

Anyway, we all liked shooting light guages as it was best when doing a lot of shooting.

I shot two cases, 1,000 rounds of 20ga one day in Argentina. I can't shoot that much anymore. Taking my 20 guage in the morning for teal. I shot in a pistol match last weekend with my P22 Walther. I just like light guns for animals and targets yet I tote a .357 mag in my tuck just in case I need to shoot a human intruder.

M&K's Retrievers
09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I tote a .357 mag in my tuck just in case I need to shoot a human intruder.

.44 mag for me. A buddy of mine asked me if I didn't like to chase cripples.

Franco
09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
.44 mag for me. A buddy of mine asked me if I didn't like to chase cripples.

Good advice! Dead criminals can't sue.;-)

road kill
09-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Biggest problem I see with most dove shooters is that they are over-gunned. Down here we can only shoot 15 with Eurasian doves as bonus birds. Other problem I see down here is folks bring a dog in 90 degree plus heat. Pesonally, I rather be shooting dove than constantly hydrating my dog.

Do what works for you but my preference;

camo umbrella with stand
iced water in cooler
energy bars
Temp here tomorrow is supposed to top out at 55.

Very nice.

Got the bucket.
Sammiches.
Found some #7-1/2 steel loads.
Couple of Rocky Patels.

I think we are good to go!!

RK

M&K's Retrievers
09-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Very nice.

Got the bucket.
Sammiches.
Couple of Rocky Patels.

RK

Good luck! You will have a blast.

Franco
09-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Very nice.

Got the bucket.
Sammiches.
Couple of Rocky Patels.

RK

It got up to 92 here today.

Heading for the Atchafalaya Swamp at 4am. USA largest swamp and where History Channel's Swamp People was filmed.

Mosquitos will be so thick one can't breath. I'll smell like Skin So Soft for weeks after. Best repleant I've used for La Swamp Skeeters. I figure with the gator trappers running all over the place they'll get the Teal up. I'll let my Cajun buddy bring his black dog;-)

Here ya go RK, doves staging up before feeding.
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/gumboyaya_2009/doves.jpg

Franco
09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Look closely and you can see doves flying low over the recently sewn wheat put in for Winter grazing;-)
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/gumboyaya_2009/doves1.jpg

BonMallari
09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
It got up to 92 here today.

Mosquitos will be so thick one can't breath. I'll smell like Skin So Soft for weeks after. Best repleant I've used for La Swamp Skeeters.

will bounce or any other fabric softener sheet do, I had read that stuff works but you are the first to confirm it...would have been cheaper than a new thermocell

Franco
09-24-2010, 06:47 PM
will bounce or any other fabric softener sheet do, I had read that stuff works but you are the first to confirm it...would have been cheaper than a new thermocell

I've never tried it. Been using SSS for years and it doesn't have the harsh chemicals most commercial repleants use. Plus. if you gun gets wet, you can spray it with SSS and wipe.

ducknwork
09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
RK, don't forget your camera. We'll compare notes tomorrow. I can't freakin wait to get back out there in the morning. I'll be hunting in about....8 hours...hopefully limited out in about 9...:D

Good luck, buddy. Dove hunting is a blast and you'll LOVE it!

kjrice
09-25-2010, 12:17 AM
I've never tried it. Been using SSS for years and it doesn't have the harsh chemicals most commercial repleants use. Plus. if you gun gets wet, you can spray it with SSS and wipe.
We used that in Alaska for white socks and skeeters since they Cutter and Off would melt monofilament...it works but smells like a cheap call girl.

dnf777
09-25-2010, 07:24 AM

I'll second the skin so soft by avon. Haven't needed it for a while here in Pa, but when I lived in Tx, it worked every bit as well as off or cutter, and didn't stink and linger. Our avon lady said she sold 10 to 1 men over women with that product. I even suggested she decorate her car with realtree. (do they even still have 'avon ladies'?)

BrianW
09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
it works but smells like a cheap call girl.

It's ok if you're hunting on your own but gets you some weird looks at a HT! :shock:

ducknwork
09-25-2010, 11:06 PM
WELL?? How did it go, RK?

JDogger
09-25-2010, 11:41 PM
WELL?? How did it go, RK?

Well, if it went good, he's still cleaning birds, drinking Jack, smoking the last butt of that RP, and wondering where all those feathers and ash's came from?
Me...? the bluebird weather produced no teal, and the dove seemed to disappear, even the fat, ever-present Eurasin-collared dove, with no limits. Oh well! The big ducks start soon, and there may be a second round of dove in Dec. JD

road kill
09-26-2010, 07:39 AM
OK.
It was awesome.
Saw lot's of birds.
Teal, Woodies, Canada Geese and some other ducks we did not ID.
Saw about a dozen Doves.
Shot 1 Dove and 1 Woodcock.

Elvis did a nice 75 yard blind on the dove in this swamp:
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/dovepond.jpg
Mud and lily pads etc, not as clean as a HT scenario.
Funny how people whine at HT about how the blinds are not realistic.:rolleyes:

Missed 4 birds that I should have hit.
Didn't swing thru on 1(:mad: I know better), just wasn't paying attention on the others.
But I learned.
Going back today after football.
We hunted on a dike between the pond in the pic and a river to the other side.
It was a bit breezy off and on, birds flew real low.

Smoked a couple nice cigars (Rocky Patel & Nording) swapped a few lies with my partner.
I've learned that all hunters and fisherman are liars, except of course for you and me.....and sometimes I am not so sure about YOU!!;-)

RK

ducknwork
09-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Cool man. I am glad that you enjoyed it! I wish you could come down here and sit on the edge of this field I have been hunting lately. We would flat out clean up on 'em.:D There's enough birds in there for quite a few limits(15 in NC). If that didn't get you even more hooked, there's no hope for you!

As for cooking your birds, try wrapping the breasts in bacon, skewering, grill, and put a little bbq sauce on it at the end. When the bacon is done, the dove is too. MMMM mmmm good!

road kill
09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Not a bird in the beautiful blue sky Sun.

But a guy shot a goose that landed over the river.
Elvis got his first Canada goose retrieve.
The mud was so deep and sloppy I was worried.
Little bugger got to the water, swam the river, got the bird and flew back.
He was pretty darn proud.
It was like a test mallard on steroids.
100% covered in mud!!!!!

It don't get any better than that!!!:D

RK

M&K's Retrievers
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Not a bird in the beautiful blue sky Sun.

But a guy shot a goose that landed over the river.
Elvis got his first Canada goose retrieve.
The mud was so deep and sloppy I was worried.
Little bugger got to the water, swam the river, got the bird and flew back.
He was pretty darn proud.
It was like a test mallard on steroids.
100% covered in mud!!!!!

It don't get any better than that!!!:D

RK

Wish you could come to SW Okla. On a good day we are done by 7:45-8:00.
On a slow day it might take til 10:00. On a bad day it will take all day. We have hunted probably 150 days in the last 20 years and have been skunked only a few times. 15 bird limit. Lead shot. Sun flower, milllet, wheat stubble. Nasty Scottish Inn. Really bad restaurants. Cold beer and lots of fun.

road kill
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Wish you could come to SW Okla. On a good day we are done by 7:45-8:00.
On a slow day it might take til 10:00. On a bad day it will take all day. We have hunted probably 150 days in the last 20 years and have been skunked only a few times. 15 bird limit. Lead shot. Sun flower, milllet, wheat stubble. Nasty Scottish Inn. Really bad restaurants. Cold beer and lots of fun.
Are you sure you would want to hunt with what the fine Dr. dnf has diagnosed as a "drunkin old man??"

Sounds pretty risky.........:shock:

RK

M&K's Retrievers
09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you sure you would want to hunt with what the fine Dr. dnf has diagnosed as a "drunkin old man??"

Sounds pretty risky.........:shock:

RK

We'll give you poppers and shoot your limit for you.:-P