PDA

View Full Version : Pro Pac dog food

Rodger Williams
09-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Has anybody out there had any experience with this food?

MonarchGoldens
10-17-2010, 02:03 AM
I would read the ingredients. There should be no corn, wheat or soy, no sugar, no meat and/or animal by-products. Real meat should be the first ingredient and if there is grain it should be brown rice, millet, barley, etc.
I do not know much about this food but do know that a few clients who got their dogs from pet stores were sent home with this food... to me thats a bad sign but I have not actually read the ingredients, I have never even seen the food in a store. Hope this helps you :)

J. Walker
10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
I would read the ingredients. There should be no corn, wheat or soy, no sugar, no meat and/or animal by-products. Real meat should be the first ingredient and if there is grain it should be brown rice, millet, barley, etc.
I do not know much about this food but do know that a few clients who got their dogs from pet stores were sent home with this food... to me thats a bad sign but I have not actually read the ingredients, I have never even seen the food in a store. Hope this helps you :)

Real meat isn't really what one should look for as the first ingredient. The vast majority of companies (such as Purina, Iams/Eukanuba, Hills, etc.) weigh the ingredients prior to processing, a practice that is fully acceptable per AAFCO regulations which were written almost exclusively by Purina and adopted industry wide. Since meat/poultry is about 70%-80% water, chicken, beef, etc. will often become the fifth or sixth actual ingredient after processing. Chicken meal is the clean flesh, without or without bone, after processing the moisture level to 10% or less so it is considered preferable to "beef," "chicken," etc. listed as the first protein source. Pound for pound, the protein content in chicken meal is almost four times that of "chicken."

dreamer2385
10-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I know several breeders who feed this to the dogs and love it. The dogs do well on it.It is not over priced and the dogs' are in good shape , some of the dogs' prefer it over some of more well known brands. In my humble opinion, the dog food is only good if the dog will eat it!!

Keith Stroyan
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I've had good results with Pro Pac 26 for many years and occasionally with Pro Pac Premium Puppy. (My dogs gain weight on 30/20 Pro Pac unless they are working very hard.) I occasionally have fed others, but always came back.

http://www.propacpetfood.com/us/dogs/adult-chunk-and-adult-mini-chunk.php

"High-quality chicken meal is the primary ingredient."

JJaxon
10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
A few years ago it was made in Indiana. I fed it for a year to a hound. He developed allergies to 2 grass types, turkey and flax seed / flax oil. I can't say this food had anythung to do with it but I switched to ProPlan Sensative skin and stomach. Still has outbreaks though. Learn all you can about ingredients, it will pay off someday.

Kyle Dennis
03-30-2012, 12:29 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any more info/reviews on Pro Pac? Thinking of switching the puppy over to Pro Pac Performance Puppy. I know it's not the best food out there but it seems to be fairly decent. Plus I can get a decent deal on it through a dealer.

ed1957gar
04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I was not a believer i feed Purina one and pro plan for 20 years..My girl friend had me try it, my dogs look better and are more active..I have a pamphlet that ranks it as one of the best foods out there..I'm now a believer and use it..