PDA

View Full Version : No respect for the Mountain West

Nate_C
09-27-2010, 09:23 AM
OK, to be upfront I am a Utah Alumni.

How is it that we win and three teams in front of us lose but we don't go up in the rankings. That wouldn't happen to a school in a BCS conference. I will even give you LSU and Auburn moving up because they had big wins but Stanford beating a 1-3 Notra Dame, that moves you past really?

On top of that Oregon move past TCU. Oregon doesn't have a win against a team with a record over .500 and their big win this weekend was a win over Arizona State, a .500 team with wins over N. Arizona and Portland State?

Come on people!

Franco
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
A team is only as good as the teams they beat. Who does Utah play? Who have they beaten?

Marvin S
09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Nebraska shellacked UW 56-21 the week before - took on a team from South Dakota State & won 17-3 with a TD by SD called back because of a questionable call. NE's ranking did not change! What does that say?

Either the UW has not recovered from the Barbara Hedges era or tiny SD STATE is not that bad though they are 0-3 :confused:.

But I would have expected to hear from Bon, TX took it in the shorts this weekend :cool:. You gotta love over ranked teams with all the amenities getting it handed to them :).

Nate_C
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
A team is only as good as the teams they beat. Who does Utah play? Who have they beaten?

Everyone knows that isn't the way the rankings work. They start before anyone ever plays a game with writers or coaches making assumptions with biases toward the big conferences. Then from there it is mostly based on what they do but there are these unwritten bias about how teams move up and down. I think Stanford moving up 7 places basicly becasue they beat UCLA a few weeks ago and they turn around and beat Texas is biased.

Cody Covey
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
You say rankings aren't based on who teams beat and then go onto to say Stanford moved up seven places because of who they beat???? Who they play and win and by how much directly affects the rankings.

The Mountain West teams get no respect because they never play any teams. This is coming from a Boise State fan. Up until this year Boise plays maybe 1 decent team a year and this year they play 2 decent teams. First they play VT and barely beat them and the next week VT goes on to lose to an unranked team. This past week Boise beat a 24th ranked Oregon team. Now for the rest of the season they play absolutely no one. And to top it off I'm still confused why non BCS teams even get a chance in BCS games anyway.

EDIT: Just looked at Utah's schedule. They played a 15th ranked Pittsburgh team that they barely won in over time by a field goal. and now they play no one else until TCU. if they beat TCU and don't move in the rankings (provided they don't lose a game first) then you would have a valid complaint.

BonMallari
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Nebraska shellacked UW 56-21 the week before - took on a team from South Dakota State & won 17-3 with a TD by SD called back because of a questionable call. NE's ranking did not change! What does that say?

Either the UW has not recovered from the Barbara Hedges era or tiny SD STATE is not that bad though they are 0-3 :confused:.

But I would have expected to hear from Bon, TX took it in the shorts this weekend :cool:. You gotta love over ranked teams with all the amenities getting it handed to them :).

The Eyes of Texas are filled with tears....we were over rated and flat out got our butts kicked by UCLA...our OC called avery poor game and the QB looked scared and made terrible choices...locked in on receivers and made short lateral throws for three yds when we needed four for first downs...

No excuses we just got beat and we arent as good as everyone including myself thought:(

M&K's Retrievers
09-27-2010, 02:35 PM
.... we arent as good as everyone including myself thought:(

And neither is your next weaks opponent.:cool:

road kill
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Anybody catch the score of the WISCONSIN game??

RK

BonMallari
09-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Anybody catch the score of the WISCONSIN game??

RK

yup didnt they run up the score on some JC school or Univ.of Phoenix :p:p

(Bill Connor is gonna hate me for that one )

road kill
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
yup didnt they run up the score on some JC school or Univ.of Phoenix :p:p

(Bill Connor is gonna hate me for that one )
Texas didn't ever run up a score, did they??
I know they didn't Sat!!:shock:

Sorry Bon, that was mean..........;-)

RK

BonMallari
09-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Texas didn't ever run up a score, did they??
I know they didn't Sat!!:shock:

Sorry Bon, that was mean..........;-)

RK

from a Vegas standpoint, Mack Brown is known for not running up the score,not that I bet against my team to not cover the spread :rolleyes:...BUT when they had to impress the pollsters and get in the BCS game a few years back you bet they tried to run up a score :razz:

style points matter to the pollsters and the odds makers

I have to eat crow this week..it was funny...not a fair weather fan..just dont like the aftertaste...

TN_LAB
09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Oregon doesn't have a win against a team with a record over .500 and their big win this weekend was a win over Arizona State, a .500 team with wins over N. Arizona and Portland State?

Come on people!

Oregon beat Tennessee in Tennessee (and looked pretty impressive doing it). Tennessee isn't very good right now, but the name still carries a fair amount of respect in many circles.

My guess is there is definitely a biase towards BCS schools. Lot of it is due to the legacy of the programs. Not perfect, but that's pretty much the way it goes. So...if Utah can sustain things over several years they will get more respect and probably a higher ranking (see Boise St & TCU).

Not much help in late September, but there is still a lot of football to play. Therefore...keep winning and let it work itself out (remember...its where you finish, not where you start).

M&K's Retrievers
09-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I bet Mack Brown was doing his Colombo impersonation on the sidelines.

Nate_C
09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
You say rankings aren't based on who teams beat and then go onto to say Stanford moved up seven places because of who they beat???? Who they play and win and by how much directly affects the rankings.

The Mountain West teams get no respect because they never play any teams. This is coming from a Boise State fan. Up until this year Boise plays maybe 1 decent team a year and this year they play 2 decent teams. First they play VT and barely beat them and the next week VT goes on to lose to an unranked team. This past week Boise beat a 24th ranked Oregon team. Now for the rest of the season they play absolutely no one. And to top it off I'm still confused why non BCS teams even get a chance in BCS games anyway.

EDIT: Just looked at Utah's schedule. They played a 15th ranked Pittsburgh team that they barely won in over time by a field goal. and now they play no one else until TCU. if they beat TCU and don't move in the rankings (provided they don't lose a game first) then you would have a valid complaint.

I was saying rankings are not based solely on who you beat. That some teams get extra advantages. Yes Utah doesn't have a SEC type schudual but it has alot of good teams on it. Pitt and TCU, a ND team that must be pretty good because Stanford passed us by beating them. Air Force is very good too 3-1 and lost to Oklahoma by a field goal.

Almost every ranking out there has the Montain West ranked higher then the Big East and the ACC. Last year we were 4-1 in bowls with 3 teams in the top 25 and the year before we where 3-2 with 3 teams in the top 25. So winning that conference is an accomplishment. People assume that wins against georgia, tennesse...ect... are better when they are not. PS that is the same thing they said about Boise St. schedual before they beat Oklahoma and Utah before they beat Pitt and Alabama in BCS bowls.

aandw
09-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Utah and other non-BCS are at a disadvantage. But strength of schedule does matter, Pitt isn't very good, ND is not good this year but is a good opp. most year, Iowa St. doesn't help, don't know the other non-con game. the ACC looks down this year, the Big East isn't a good football con anymore, minus Miami & Va Tech. the SEC is not as good either (UT,UG) Florida& Ala. are rebuilding. But year in and year out the SEC is the strongest con. Big 10 & 12 not far behind. Utah & Boise St. are one game wonders, they do have good teams and can compete on any given saturday. But i don't think they can do it every week against SEC, Big 10 or 12, not enough depth or talent.
Utah needs a good rival and play at least 3 top 15 teams every year to get recognition and respect. Ala. will play 6 top 20 teams this year, that doesn't include tenn or ole miss, that are normally in there.

BonMallari
09-28-2010, 02:18 PM
rankings are based on REPUTATIONS...plain and simple..the BCS is deathly afraid that Bama or Ohio St trip up late and they have no choice but to put an undefeated Boise St in the MNC game, thats one of the reasons they always fall back on the strength of schedule defense...a plus 1 playoff would determine a true National Champion

aandw
09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
rankings are based on REPUTATIONS...plain and simple..the BCS is deathly afraid that Bama or Ohio St trip up late and they have no choice but to put an undefeated Boise St in the MNC game, thats one of the reasons they always fall back on the strength of schedule defense...a plus 1 playoff would determine a true National Champion

agreed, but if a team from the previous year that finished well returns the majority of their starters why wouldn't they be ranked high. like it or not almost everyone outside utah and idaho would rather watch SEC, Big 10, or Big 12 play for it. i don't like the +1 because i think 2nd & 3rd place finishers in the BIG 3 will get left out. just because utah goes undefeated doesn't mean they are one of the 4 best.
i say go to a 16 team playoff, let the bowls bid for the games, 15 total games over 4 consecutive weeks. if utah can beat 4 quality opponents in 4 weeks my hat is off to them. BTW 15 games would only be about half of the current bowls and would finish sooner.

BonMallari
09-28-2010, 03:49 PM
agreed, but if a team from the previous year that finished well returns the majority of their starters why wouldn't they be ranked high. like it or not almost everyone outside utah and idaho would rather watch SEC, Big 10, or Big 12 play for it. i don't like the +1 because i think 2nd & 3rd place finishers in the BIG 3 will get left out. just because utah goes undefeated doesn't mean they are one of the 4 best.
i say go to a 16 team playoff, let the bowls bid for the games, 15 total games over 4 consecutive weeks. if utah can beat 4 quality opponents in 4 weeks my hat is off to them. BTW 15 games would only be about half of the current bowls and would finish sooner.

Have to disagree on the 16 team playoff..think about this, the 16th ranked team in the country doesnt deserve a shot at the national championship...I would be in favor of a Final Four...the winner of each of the 4 major bowls play off ...Rose,Sugar,Orange,and Fiesta...sadly the Cotton Bowl is no longer considered a top tier bowl

aandw
09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Have to disagree on the 16 team playoff..think about this, the 16th ranked team in the country doesnt deserve a shot at the national championship...I would be in favor of a Final Four...the winner of each of the 4 major bowls play off ...Rose,Sugar,Orange,and Fiesta...sadly the Cotton Bowl is no longer considered a top tier bowl

the problem with that is i could make an argument for runner ups in the big 3 that would be left out. i might agree to an 8 team playoff, if the con champ game doesn't count. freeze the polls after the last regular game. more times than not i think runner ups in the big 3 are better than the one game wonders. guess where utah will be ranked if they do a +1 (5 or 6)

TN_LAB
09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I PS that is the same thing they said about Boise St. schedual before they beat Oklahoma and Utah before they beat Pitt and Alabama in BCS bowls.

Boise has proven that they can beat any team with enough time, however I don't think they could run the gauntlet of a BCS conference where you have to play tough teams just about every week (certainly every other week).

Nate_C
09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Boise has proven that they can beat any team with enough time, however I don't think they could run the gauntlet of a BCS conference where you have to play tough teams just about every week (certainly every other week).

Boise, TCU or Utah could easily run the table in the ACC or Big East. They could also handle the P-10, Big 10 or Big 12. Every team has trouble getting through the SEC. Alabama is the best in the country and they will be lucky to finish undefeated. I don't mind bias for SEC teams,they have earned it. It is the others that bug me. Putting the SEC and the Big East in the same catagory is a joke but these other BCS conferences get the benefit of the doubt too.
Watch, if Utah lose to TCU and ends up 11-1, a 10-2 Big East champion and a few ACC teams without wins against a single ranked opponent will end up ranked higher then them just because they are in BCS conferences. If Utah beats TCU, they will be locked out of the top 5 and a BCS bowl.

aandw
09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Boise, TCU or Utah could easily run the table in the ACC or Big East. They could also handle the P-10, Big 10 or Big 12. Every team has trouble getting through the SEC. Alabama is the best in the country and they will be lucky to finish undefeated. I don't mind bias for SEC teams,they have earned it. It is the others that bug me. Putting the SEC and the Big East in the same catagory is a joke but these other BCS conferences get the benefit of the doubt too.
Watch, if Utah lose to TCU and ends up 11-1, a 10-2 Big East champion and a few ACC teams without wins against a single ranked opponent will end up ranked higher then them just because they are in BCS conferences. If Utah beats TCU, they will be locked out of the top 5 and a BCS bowl.

totally agree about big east, ACC is usually better and will be back (miami, FSU, Va. tech). i think utah would be competitive in P10 every year. not sure about the others, some years sure. but i think they avg. 8 wins per year.
next 5 games for ala - FL., @sc, OLE MISS, @tenn, bye, @LSU. any given year that would be 5 top 25 teams with 2 top tens.

TN_LAB
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Ought to be some more BCS conference shuffling going on these next couple of years. Tell the Utes to stepup and be done with it.

BonMallari
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Ought to be some more BCS conference shuffling going on these next couple of years. Tell the Utes to stepup and be done with it.

they already have...anyone remember the 2009 Sugar Bowl , I think they walloped # 4 ALABAMA 31-17 to finish undefeated :p:p.....even though most schools won't admit it, no one want to face an undefeated TCU-Utah-Boise St with nothing to lose and everything to gain

troy schwab
09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
they already have...anyone remember the 2009 Sugar Bowl , I think they walloped # 4 ALABAMA 31-17 to finish undefeated :p:p.....even though most schools won't admit it, no one want to face an undefeated TCU-Utah-Boise St with nothing to lose and everything to gain

This is very true....... plus the BCS would be completely exposed for the sham that it really is. I am very confident that the monies exchanged between alumni/college/BCS is very tightly protected, and that it is a poker table that none of these universities can even afford the ante.........JMO. It is a complete shame.

road kill
09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Yeah, they would walk right thru Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State and the newly added (next year) Nebraska like it was nothing!!!!:rolleyes:

C'MON...MAN!!!!

RK

TN_LAB
09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah, they would walk right thru Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State and the newly added (next year) Nebraska like it was nothing!!!!:rolleyes:

C'MON...MAN!!!!

RK

Yup.
LSU, Bama, Florida, South Carolina & Georgia would make for an easy 2 months worth of ball (heck...even Kentucky n Mississippi could cause havoc) :p

Win em all and it'll all work itself out.

depittydawg
09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
OK, to be upfront I am a Utah Alumni.

How is it that we win and three teams in front of us lose but we don't go up in the rankings. That wouldn't happen to a school in a BCS conference. I will even give you LSU and Auburn moving up because they had big wins but Stanford beating a 1-3 Notra Dame, that moves you past really?

On top of that Oregon move past TCU. Oregon doesn't have a win against a team with a record over .500 and their big win this weekend was a win over Arizona State, a .500 team with wins over N. Arizona and Portland State?

Come on people!

Guess it will be a little more clear this weekend. Oregon hosts Stanford... Go Ducks!

Franco
09-29-2010, 11:15 PM

C'MON...MAN!!!!

RK

The only way to set the speculation of rankings aside would be a playoff system. Maybe, we can get Obama on it;-) There has got to be a way without harming the integrety of the bowls.

Other than Ohio St. what do you have? And, they can't even win a National Championship!

SEC, three NC's in a row and what 5-6 of the last 10!:o

I will say that even though this season of SEC teams looks the weakest it has in many years I still think that the SEC makes it 4 NC's in a row.

WALDMAN79
10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Who Cares, The Buckeyes Are #2 Waiting For 'bama To Trip Up - Almost Happened Against Arkansas. If The Razorbacks Didn't Have A Former Michigan Qb Who Chokes Like Old Times With The Wolverines It Might Have Happened. If You Want Bcs Love, Then Join A Premier Conference...

dback
11-14-2010, 08:54 AM

I remember talking exactly that way when ASU was 'king o the hill' in the WAC. I seriously do welcome Utah & Colorado to the PAC, both institutions have great fans and will make for fun trips. I'll save my Bwwaaaahhhhhaas' for about three years from now after you've actually played some 'major league' schedules....especially after that impressive win over a 4-5 ND team.......oh wait.......NDs 5-5 now????? wth? You're gonna find precisely what I did......"LACK OF DEPTH"..........2 & 3 * kids have a tough time hanging with schools loaded with 3, 4 & 5 * rosters. You have nearly all your commits for this year and it is all 2 & 3 * kids (zero 4 or 5 *)....while Stanford for example, has eight 4 * I do wish you 'good luck' however........(well, except for your Tempe excursions)

Franco
11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
If Boise State played in a "big boy" conference like the SEC, they would be at best 6 - 6. Most SEC Defenses would chew them up and spit them out like a bad piece of meat.

They may get a little more respect in the PAC 10 but then again, that conference is just another "one team" conference. USC for the last decade was the only team that played well and now Oregon. It is not like they have half a dozen teams that annually challenge for greatness.

dback
11-14-2010, 09:35 AM
If Boise State played in a "big boy" conference like the SEC, they would be at best 6 - 6. Most SEC Defenses would chew them up and spit them out like a bad piece of meat.

They may get a little more respect in the PAC 10 but then again, that conference is just another "one team" conference. USC for the last decade was the only team that played well and now Oregon. It is not like they have half a dozen teams that annually challenge for greatness.

'cept they ain't goin' to the PAC.......they pulled the "boner" move of all time and moved to the MWC. They'll gain no more respect due to an equally poor schedule and now they'll have no TV exposure as the MWC's TV contract doesn't compare to what the WAC had. They may well have just buried themselves into oblivion.

AND........as far as the lack of respect for the PAC.........coming from an sec braggart.......keep drinking the cool aid, you Ragin Cajun Maggot.....the PAC will take home the 'Crystal Ball' this year. ;-)

Franco
11-14-2010, 09:46 AM
'cept they ain't goin' to the PAC.......they pulled the "boner" move of all time and moved to the MWC. They'll gain no more respect due to an equally poor schedule and now they'll have no TV exposure as the MWC's TV contract doesn't compare to what the WAC had. They may well have just buried themselves into oblivion.

AND........as far as the lack of respect for the PAC.........coming from an sec braggart.......keep drinking the cool aid, you Ragin Cajun Maggot.....the PAC will take home the 'Crystal Ball' this year. ;-)

I wouldn't know what Boise St is doing as I only keep up with the real powerhouses.;-)

So, you don't think the SEC will make it 5 National Championships in a row.
I don't see how the Ducks could possibly hang with the likes of the War Eagles, Crimson Tide or that surprising 8 - 1 team from Baton Rouge, the real Tigers. :razz: LSU will have 3 D players taken in the first round of the NFL draft and as usual, one-third of the NFL First Rounders will come from the SEC.:cool:

dback
11-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't know what Boise St is doing as I only keep up with the real powerhouses.;-)

:-) :-)

So, you don't think the SEC will make it 5 National Championships in a row.
I don't see how the Ducks could possibly hang with the likes of the War Eagles, Crimson Tide or that surprising 8 - 1 team from Baton Rouge, the real Tigers. :razz: LSU will have 3 D players taken in the first round of the NFL draft and as usual, one-third of the NFL First Rounders will come from the SEC.:cool:

Don't even think an sec squad will appear in the 'Prize' game....the Ducks would simply scoff at any member of that paper tiger league. I'm thinkin' TCU might just squeak in there but, alas, the PAC Champion will 'roll' the toads like a cheap Bourbon Street drunk. ;-)

Franco
11-14-2010, 01:05 PM
:-) :-)

Don't even think an sec squad will appear in the 'Prize' game....the Ducks would simply scoff at any member of that paper tiger league. I'm thinkin' TCU might just squeak in there but, alas, the PAC Champion will 'roll' the toads like a cheap Bourbon Street drunk. ;-)

Auburn still has a big i-state rivalry game to play with Bama and then the SEC Champ game. If they win those two, they should be ranked #1 in the BCS poll.

Auburn, Bama or LSU would flatten the Ducks.;-) In fact, I think Arkansas and would beat them as well.

depittydawg
11-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Auburn still has a big i-state rivalry game to play with Bama and then the SEC Champ game. If they win those two, they should be ranked #1 in the BCS poll.

Auburn, Bama or LSU would flatten the Ducks.;-) In fact, I think Arkansas and would beat them as well.

Guess we'lll find out. One of those teams will be ranked #2. And get a shot at the #1 Ducks!

BonMallari
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Ducks came within a missed FG of getting beat yesterday....I like Auburn led by their coach Gene Chizik (who actually put together the Texas defense on the '05 MNC team ) and as much as it pains me to admit, there is going to be a one loss LSU team lurking in the shadows along with a one loss Wisconsin team and maybe a one loss Ohio St. team , anyone of the three could beat any of the top 4

dback
11-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Alright Booty........beings we been friends for such a long time I'm gonna let you take some crib notes. Grab a pencil and jot this down.

Auburn is going to run into two buzz saw teams...Bama & South Carolina and lose both of their final games.

LSpU will be left wondering WTH happened after being whooped by two inspired squads in Mississippi & Arkansas.

Bama (by virtue of its' win over Auburn) will square off with South Carolina in the SEC Championship match and hand the Cocks another disappointing defeat.

SEC Champion, Bama...will return to the Sugar Bowl where they will battle the blue boys, bouncing them back to their bailiwick, boise like the bawdy bunch of baffled babbling back burner bairns they be. :shock: ;-)

BonMallari
11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Alright Booty........beings we been friends for such a long time I'm gonna let you take some crib notes. Grab a pencil and jot this down.

Auburn is going to run into two buzz saw teams...Bama & South Carolina and lose both of their final games.

LSU will be left wondering WTH happened after being whooped by two inspired squads in Mississippi & Arkansas.

Bama (by virtue of its' win over Auburn) will square off with South Carolina in the SEC Championship match and hand the Cocks another disappointing defeat.

SEC Champion, Bama...will return to the Sugar Bowl where they will battle the blue boys, bouncing them back to their bailiwick, boise like the bawdy bunch of baffled babbling back burner bairns they be. :shock: ;-)

the SEC championship game is already set with Auburn vs So Carolina

dback
11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
the SEC championship game is already set with Auburn vs So Carolina

No need for pencil????? ;-)

Franco
11-14-2010, 06:48 PM
No need for pencil????? ;-)

hahaha!

S Caroline will be in he Sugar and LSU will be Orange bound.

write that in ink;-)

BonMallari
11-15-2010, 01:30 AM
hahaha!

S Caroline will be in he Sugar and LSU will be Orange bound.

write that in ink;-)

as Lee Corso might say.."not so fast my Cajun friend"...

I actually like these matchups better

http://www.philsteele.com/bowls/10-11Bowls/Bowlprojections.html

Franco
11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I would love to see LSU vs either Wisconsin or TCU since the Ducks will play the War Eagles.

I think the BCS polls are a joke. If strength of schedule were really that big a part of it, they should be ranked;

1 Auburn
2 LSU
3 Wisconsin
4 Oregon
5 TCU

BonMallari
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I would love to see LSU vs either Wisconsin or TCU since the Ducks will play the War Eagles.

I think the BCS polls are a joke. If strength of schedule were really that big a part of it, they should be ranked;

1 Auburn
2 LSU
3 Wisconsin
4 Oregon
5 TCU

I agree BCS polls are a joke, I also think SOS should be weighed heavier along with style points...of course with that Wisconsin would be accused of running up the score ( they were still passing when the score was in the 60's):p

Franco
11-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I agree BCS polls are a joke, I also think SOS should be weighed heavier along with style points...of course with that Wisconsin would be accused of running up the score ( they were still passing when the score was in the 60's):p

Even though the Big 10 is a has-been conference, they still play major U's.

I'll confess that I am shocked with LSU's success this season. I ranked them #2 because they lost to Auburn by 7 points and spanked Bama. Oregon hasn't played against a top SEC program and they will be in for a surprise when they play a big, badass team that knows how to play on both sides of the ball.