PDA

View Full Version : RATZ Leaving a Sinking Ship!

road kill
09-28-2010, 07:07 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rahm-emanuel-leave-white-house/story?id=11740794

Who will run the country and tell Obama what to say???

RK

Gerry Clinchy
09-28-2010, 08:24 AM
ABC had an interview with Bob Woodward on this AM ... centered on his new book "Obama's Wars".

From the interview, I got the impression that Obama's campaign statements on pursuing a war in A'stan were pretty devoid of knowing the facts ... or ignoring the facts.

Not only will Rahm be leaving; so will Gates. It seems as if the last 2 years of this term will begin with re-building his White House staff. With the multiple complex situations to be dealt with, this cannot be conducive to accomplishing a whole lot ... and within a year, he will undoubtedly begin campaigning again for his 2nd term, taking more time & attention away from the job of being POTUS. If he has to fight off Hillary in a bid for candidacy, that will be even more of a mess.

road kill
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
ABC had an interview with Bob Woodward on this AM ... centered on his new book "Obama's Wars".

From the interview, I got the impression that Obama's campaign statements on pursuing a war in A'stan were pretty devoid of knowing the facts ... or ignoring the facts.

Not only will Rahm be leaving; so will Gates. It seems as if the last 2 years of this term will begin with re-building his White House staff. With the multiple complex situations to be dealt with, this cannot be conducive to accomplishing a whole lot ... and within a year, he will undoubtedly begin campaigning again for his 2nd term, taking more time & attention away from the job of being POTUS. If he has to fight off Hillary in a bid for candidacy, that will be even more of a mess.

Has he given any?
Seems golf & vacations have been the main focus, of course I know that's not true, but the perception is over indulgence.
And perception is reality........

RK

Bayou Magic
09-28-2010, 08:37 AM

When has he been OUT of the campaign mode?

fp

BrianW
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Who will run the country and tell Obama what to say???

Michelle. ;)

Eric Johnson
09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
There's a piece that moved yesterday or today that says that Rahm Emmanuel doesn't have a residence in Chicago! He owns a house but it's leased out and the leasee has said that while he's been offered a lease buy-out, he's staying put. What he has is a one year extension on a lease that expired about 2 weeks ago...6 days before Daley made the announcement. The lease was extended per the terms of the lease and then Daley surprised everyone.

While Emmanuel can probably break the lease, can he get through the legal issues in time to declare it a residence for the past year as required by law? <s> Chicago election officials say this is just like a member of the military serving overseas. However, I know for a fact that the military are afforded special exemptions like this in Illinois by statute...not convention or for the convenience of the person affected. The opposition parties say they'll look closely at the issue.

Looks like this may be a case of "all dressed up and nowhere to go..."

Eric

subroc
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
There's a piece that moved yesterday or today that says that Rahm Emmanuel doesn't have a residence in Chicago! He owns a house but it's leased out and the leasee has said that while he's been offered a lease buy-out, he's staying put. What he has is a one year extension on a lease that expired about 2 weeks ago...6 days before Daley made the announcement. The lease was extended per the terms of the lease and then Daley surprised everyone.

While Emmanuel can probably break the lease, can he get through the legal issues in time to declare it a residence for the past year as required by law? <s> Chicago election officials say this is just like a member of the military serving overseas. However, I know for a fact that the military are afforded special exemptions like this in Illinois by statute...not convention or for the convenience of the person affected. The opposition parties say they'll look closely at the issue.

Eric

there is no way Rahm (a democrat) will not be allowed to run in Chicago.

road kill
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Eric

UHHHHH...It is Chicago!!!!:D

RK

Gerry Clinchy
09-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Eric

LOL! It might be safe to say that the tenant is not going to vote for Rahm, whether he is "compelled" to move or not. If the tenant were a Rahm supporter, he would accept a deal of some sort from Rahm. Rahm undoubtedly has enough $ to make the tenant a good deal.

At worst, couldn't Rahm find a place to rent? Should certainly have enough friends in Chicago to find a place.

Eric Johnson
09-28-2010, 08:54 PM
While I concur that most likely Emmanuel will eventually be allowed to run, this presents a sticky problem that must be dealt with and in such a way that it doesn't give ammunition to the opponents is a primary.

I believe that the law says that he must have maintained a residence for one year. Only by a real stretch of the truth will that be true. His only real estate holding is leased to another.

Eric

YardleyLabs
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM
While I concur that most likely Emmanuel will eventually be allowed to run, this presents a sticky problem that must be dealt with and in such a way that it doesn't give ammunition to the opponents is a primary.

I believe that the law says that he must have maintained a residence for one year. Only by a real stretch of the truth will that be true. His only real estate holding is leased to another.

Eric
I agree that it will be interesting and your points are valid. While it would fall under different rules, my father was a non-resident US citizen for 28 years. He started out as a Tennessee resident and returned to Tennessee 28 years later after living all over the world. Throughout that time, he maintained a Tennessee drivers license and was considered by Tennessee to be a resident for all similar purposes even though he owned no property in the state and did not maintain a residence. The view was that he was on a temporary assignment as part of his job with Union Carbide.

If you own a house that was previously your primary residence and you leased it out during what is clearly a temporary job assignment out of state, I suspect you would have a good case. It would be interesting to know if he maintained an Illinois drivers license and continued to file tax returns as an Illinois resident.

dnf777
09-28-2010, 09:25 PM
It would be interesting to know if he maintained an Illinois drivers license and continued to file tax returns as an Illinois resident.

I think as long as you maintain dirty chicago-style politics wherever you are, they will consider you a resident in good standing. ;)

Julie R.
09-28-2010, 09:46 PM
It would be interesting to know if he maintained an Illinois drivers license and continued to file tax returns as an Illinois resident.

I'm sure he can snap his fingers and get himself an Illinois driver license he needs, as well as a residence. But as for taxes, he may not have filed at all. High ranking officials in this administration aren't required to pay them :cool:

M&K's Retrievers
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm sure he can snap his fingers and get himself an Illinois driver license he needs, as well as a residence. But as for taxes, he may not have filed at all. High ranking officials in this administration aren't required to pay them :cool:

...Touche...

Eric Johnson
09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
It's got all manner of twists and traps.

To begin with, each state will have it's own residency requirements. If he's gainfully employed outside the state (which he is), does the Illinois statute recognize government service vs military service? Dunno. With military service you still have an Illinois address. Technically, he doesn't.

This is going to be worth a dish of buttered popcorn.

Eric

Roger Perry
09-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Eric

Sort of like Dick Cheney residence question. Texas or Wyoming?

road kill
09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Sort of like Dick Cheney residence question. Texas or Wyoming?
Did Dick Cheney run for Mayor of Chicago??

I missed that.

RK

subroc
10-01-2010, 09:52 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/09/30/election_law_expert_rahm_emanuel_ineligible_to_run _for_mayor.html

Attorney Burt Odelson, a noted elction-law expert, is predicting Rahm Emanuel will be ineligible for mayor because he is not a legal resident of Chicago.

Odelson told Roe and Roeper on WLS Radio that when Emanuel leased out his Chicago home he could no longer claim he is a resident.

“He rented his house out in Sept 09 and has not been back since and has no residency in Chicago,” Odelson said.

Odelson says he has been involved in several residency cases in Illinois that “the law is clear.” (source: WLS-AM)

I still believe he will run and the lawmakers in Chicago will allow it.

charly_t
10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
When has he been OUT of the campaign mode?

fp

My thoughts exactly. I have never seen so much time spent playing etc. by a president in office.

depittydawg
10-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Michelle. ;)

Why not. It worked with Nancy and Ron.

Ken Bora
10-03-2010, 08:53 AM
"They" say this a.m. that Gibbs will be next to jump off the boat.
how long will Hillary stay?

M&K's Retrievers
10-03-2010, 10:48 AM
"They" say this a.m. that Gibbs will be next to jump off the boat.
how long will Hillary stay?

She's gotta quit before she can run.

subroc
10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
lots of ratz....

http://www.aolnews.com/opinion/article/opinion-white-house-exits-normal-not-by-a-long-shot/19671391