PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

depittydawg
09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Just curious on how different folks interpret this story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/nyregion/30suicide.html?_r=1&hp

I'm thinking the Practical Joker needs to go to prison for a long time to think about what he did.

dnf777
09-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, one thing to keep in mind, is that people don't kill themselves because of one occurrence. An event may be the last in a series of events or conditions that result in the actual suicide, but most victims aren't well-adjusted, happy people who just got aired out for being gay, and jump off a bridge.

Do they deserve to pay the punishment for his death? (as in a murder or manslaughter wrap) Probably not. But whatever privacy laws they did break, should be served to the fullest extent, with no parole or good behavior. MO

Terri
09-30-2010, 01:04 AM
It was a very sad story and I feel for this young man's family. I spend a lot of time with college kids, since I still have two living in my house. Most of their friends are also always at my house hanging out. The stories I hear sometimes make my head spin. I think these two young people made a poor choice and took teasing way too far. Hopefully they have remorse for their actions. The punishment will be a plea bargain because they are young and it is their first offense. God will be the final judge, hopefully that will give some comfort to the victim's family.
Terri

Ken Bora
09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I think suicide sucks!
What a terrible selfish thing to do!
The pain to the loved ones….

I just hate it!

Now, did the other kids do the right thing?
Absolutely not. But did the dead kid have an
expatiation of privacy in a shared dorm room
with known electronic devices laying about?
O.J.’s legal team could get them off with ease.

What ever happened to the good old days when
the dead kid would have just balled up a fist and
put some knuckle marks on a head?

I hate suicide, just hate it hate it hate it!!!!!!!

dnf777
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
What ever happened to the good old days when [/FONT]
the dead kid would have just balled up a fist and
put some knuckle marks on a head?

I hate suicide, just hate it hate it hate it!!!!!!!

Well, his time would have been evenly split between community service for hate crimes (since the one perp was a foreigner) and jail time for battering a woman (and maybe more hate crimes violations, since she appeared Asian)

I couldn't agree more with your last statement. I had a cousin hang himself where he knew his little sister would find him. We all felt sorry for him up until that point. Then I basically hated him, and wasn't too sad he was gone. At least he wouldn't hurt anyone like that again. Its a very selfish, thoughtless act. In my worst nightmares, I can't begin to imagine what his family went through that morning, and many times since in their minds.

I hope God forgave him, and let him into his Kingdom, but not until after a long time with the strop.

david gibson
09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, his time would have been evenly split between community service for hate crimes (since the one perp was a foreigner) and jail time for battering a woman (and maybe more hate crimes violations, since she appeared Asian)

I couldn't agree more with your last statement. I had a cousin hang himself where he knew his little sister would find him. We all felt sorry for him up until that point. Then I basically hated him, and wasn't too sad he was gone. At least he wouldn't hurt anyone like that again. Its a very selfish, thoughtless act. In my worst nightmares, I can't begin to imagine what his family went through that morning, and many times since in their minds.

I hope God forgave him, and let him into his Kingdom, but not until after a long time with the strop.

interesting. yeah, it sucks that he hung himself where he knew his sister would find him. i cannot imagine such a horror on my family. my best wishes are with them, truly. and you all felt sorry for him up to that point.

so it never crossed your mind that his pain was so severe that it drove him to that extreme point? he obviously had a plan to be found - did it ever occur to you that his pain was so deep that he felt he had to go to this level to make you all understand??? and if so, its all still his fault?

so why would you give up on him at that moment he decided it was all so severe he had to commit suicide? from what you just said, if you meet him in the afterlife you dont forgive him until he has been beaten severely. did he not need love and understanding at that time where he was still with us? who ignored him?

i could go on and on but yeah, go ahead and blame it all on him, the dead kid. afterall, what right did he have to kill himself and hurt you? (forget the pain that drove him to that point) yeah, its all about you....

sickening

road kill
09-30-2010, 07:14 PM

This post is very sad.

RK

dnf777
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
interesting. yeah, it sucks that he hung himself where he knew his sister would find him. i cannot imagine such a horror on my family. my best wishes are with them, truly. and you all felt sorry for him up to that point.

so it never crossed your mind that his pain was so severe that it drove him to that extreme point? he obviously had a plan to be found - did it ever occur to you that his pain was so deep that he felt he had to go to this level to make you all understand??? and if so, its all still his fault?

so why would you give up on him at that moment he decided it was all so severe he had to commit suicide? from what you just said, if you meet him in the afterlife you dont forgive him until he has been beaten severely. did he not need love and understanding at that time where he was still with us? who ignored him?

i could go on and on but yeah, go ahead and blame it all on him, the dead kid. afterall, what right did he have to kill himself and hurt you? (forget the pain that drove him to that point) yeah, its all about you....

sickening

You have NO IDEA the pain involved. You have NO IDEA how much everyone reached out to him. You have NO IDEA how much he pushed away the help, and lied and decieved those who loved and reached out to him the most. You have NO IDEA how much this devastated a 12 year old girl.

You have NO IDEA how rude you are.

Say what you want, trash me, your words mean less to me than the gum on my shoe. In all honesty, I was replying to others to commented on the sorrow that suicide causes. Leave it to you to spew venom on a subject. You are really a mean-hearted person, who is best ignored. I'm sure you have been ignored most of your life, and that is why you act more and more bizarre and mean....it get you the attention you so crave.

And no, it wasn't about me. It was about the pain and devastation his action wrought upon his mother, who is still not right. She lives in her bedroom for the past 14 years. It was about his father, who somehow managed to hold himself together to help the other kids recover the best they could. Its about his siblings, especially his sister who was forced to see something that most of us only see in movie threatres and horror flicks. No Dave, it wasn't about me at all. Not in the least. But you sure made it about you, and your opinion of what happened. Enjoy the attention. you got what you wanted.

david gibson
09-30-2010, 07:31 PM
You have NO IDEA the pain involved. You have NO IDEA how much everyone reached out to him. You have NO IDEA how much he pushed away the help, and lied and decieved those who loved and reached out to him the most. You have NO IDEA how much this devastated a 12 year old girl.

You have NO IDEA how rude you are.

Say what you want, trash me, your words mean less to me than the gum on my shoe. In all honesty, I was replying to others to commented on the sorrow that suicide causes. Leave it to you to spew venom on a subject. You are really a mean-hearted person, who is best ignored. I'm sure you have been ignored most of your life, and that is why you act more and more bizarre and mean....it get you the attention you so crave.

I am rude????? then perhaps you should have been more descriptive in your original post? i think you were rude dissing your deceased nephew. BIG TIME. if you have an issue with that, then why bring it up? WHY BRING IT UP if you cant take the heat? of course we dont know EVERYTHING, so its unfair for you to bring it up UNLESS YOU TELL US EVERYTHING!

me - mean hearted??? to YOU maybe, but not to the kid in your family that felt abandoned.....DAVE: HINT: dont bring personal issues into a public group if you cant handle the heat. dont get all mental and have a melt down when people talk about your family when YOU start the conversation with them.

how hard is that for you to grasp????

just sayin'

and you who has an issue with family issues here? PLEASE - you bring it ALL upon yourself.

you are the most pathetic person i have ever met online. "everyone feel sorry for me because i have family that has pain, but i will go meltdown if you use that against me"

:barf:

i'll add this:

you said:

"You have NO IDEA the pain involved. You have NO IDEA how much everyone reached out to him. You have NO IDEA how much he pushed away the help, and lied and decieved those who loved and reached out to him the most. You have NO IDEA how much this devastated a 12 year old girl. "

right dave, i DONT. but you didnt care to tell that in the beginning, did you? even so, if the kid was hurting that bad, someone messed up in not helping him sooner.

to hate a misunderstood kid forever in the afterlife is messed up. have a heart dude, thats all.

dnf777
09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
I am rude????? then perhaps you should have been more descriptive in your original post? i think you were rude dissing your deceased nephew. BIG TIME. if you have an issue with that, then why bring it up? WHY BRING IT UP if you cant take the heat? of course we dont know EVERYTHING, so its unfair for you to bring it up!

me - mean hearted??? to YOU maybe, but not to the kid in your family that felt abandoned.....DAVE: HINT: dont bring personal issues into a public group if you cant handle the heat. dont get all mental and have a melt down when people talk about your family when YOU start the conversation with them.

how hard is that for you to grasp????

just sayin'

and you who has an issue with family issues here? PLEASE - you bring it ALL upon yourself.

you are the most pathetic person i have ever met online. "everyone feel sorry for me because i have family that has pain, but i will go meltdown if you use that against me"

:barf:

Quit telling me what to do, first of all. Second, nobody had a melt down. I actually enjoy seeing you make an A$$ of yourself, and you've been doing it so often lately. I don't care WHAT you said, and I made that clear. Say what you want. Your words are shoe gum to me. I think in the context of this thread, I said all I needed to. Sorry if I don't fit YOUR agenda, and you made an a$$ of yourself, by jumping to conclusions, when you really should have kept your big mouth shut. YOU made the assumptions. YOU made an A$$ of yourself. I don't care. Get it? I don't care.

I'll share what I want about my family. You are the only one to take issue, and open you big mouth. You're all alone. Attention-whoring as usual.

Have a nice day, sorry if the truth hurts....

subroc
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Just curious on how different folks interpret this story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/nyregion/30suicide.html?_r=1&hp

I'm thinking the Practical Joker needs to go to prison for a long time to think about what he did.

If the guy was openly gay (although we don't really know his sexual orientation) and didn't kill himself, and was spied upon and that video was released without his consent, what should the punishment be?

because he decided to kill himself, adds an additional dimension to this but should the penalty for spying and releasing the video be the same in both cases?

david gibson
09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Quit telling me what to do, first of all. Second, nobody had a melt down. I actually enjoy seeing you make an A$$ of yourself, and you've been doing it so often lately. I don't care WHAT you said, and I made that clear. Say what you want. Your words are shoe gum to me. I think in the context of this thread, I said all I needed to. Sorry if I don't fit YOUR agenda, and you made an a$$ of yourself, by jumping to conclusions, when you really should have kept your big mouth shut. YOU made the assumptions. YOU made an A$$ of yourself. I don't care. Get it? I don't care.

I'll share what I want about my family. You are the only one to take issue, and open you big mouth. You're all alone. Attention-whoring as usual.

Have a nice day, sorry if the truth hurts....

the truth hurts you more than me sir. i am playing with you - you are having the meltdown and getting all upset.. fact:

dave ferraro mentions family, poster returns, dave ferraro goes mental because poster mentioned family.

pretty simple!

so tell me, how does a doctor seeing so many patients have time to post on the internet all day long? every doctor worth a crap i know is busy all day. i have an excuse - i am laid off and starting my own business. and all my work is computer based - yours is - well - NOT computer based to be blunt. need i go further?

plus i have a dog to train! and successfully at that!
do you???

you do realize this whole forum is about training dogs, right? talk about potus but you should at least also know how to make a dog sit.

please enlighten me on your accomplishments with same........

dnf777
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
the truth hurts you more than me sir. i am playing with you - you are having the meltdown and getting all upset.. fact:

dave ferraro mentions family, poster returns, dave ferraro goes mental because poster mentioned family.

pretty simple!

so tell me, how does a doctor seeing so many patients have time to post on the internet all day long? every doctor worth a crap i know is busy all day. i have an excuse - i am laid off and starting my own business. and all my work is computer based - yours is - well - NOT computer based to be blunt. need i go further?

plus i have a dog to train! and successfully at that!
do you???

you do realize this whole forum is about training dogs, right? talk about potus but you should at least also know how to make a dog sit.

please enlighten me on your accomplishments with same........

Buddy, I do more before 9 am than you do all day!
Maybe if YOU didn't spend so much time on the internet, you would HAVE A JOB and not have to mooch off of all of us who DO ACTUALLY WORK!

and whoohoo...gonna start attacking dog training? You're the greatest!
Good luck with the job hunt. If your internet scam doesn't work out, we can always use another chamber maid in the hospital. I know how good you are at spewing crap, maybe you can pick it up, too. Let me know if I can help.
:-P:-P:-P

You can tell.....I'm just-a meltin' down!! Yessiree!

YardleyLabs
09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I am rude????? ....
David,

It is actually all about you. I went back and read the 20-30 posts you have made in just the last few days. More than 90% contained personal attacks on other posters. You can't seem to post on anything on POTUS without resorting to attacks on the person. It must be your way to cover the fact that almost none of your posts contain any fact based arguments. Not only do you bring bile to every post, you interpret everything said by anyone else on the assumption that their attitudes are as hate driven as your own. Why is it never enough to put forward your own position and back it with reasoned arguments? Are you incapable of formulating any? When a post is put forward that contains factual arguments for which you have no response or don't have the time to articulate an argument, why not simply say that or say nothing? A forum is for discussion and tends to be more enjoyable when there are diverse opinions. If you can't have a civil discussion with a person with whom you disagree (however strongly), why participate?

david gibson
09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
David,

It is actually all about you. I went back and read the 20-30 posts you have made in just the last few days. More than 90% contained personal attacks on other posters. You can't seem to post on anything on POTUS without resorting to attacks on the person. It must be your way to cover the fact that almost none of your posts contain any fact based arguments. Not only do you bring bile to every post, you interpret everything said by anyone else on the assumption that their attitudes are as hate driven as your own. Why is it never enough to put forward your own position and back it with reasoned arguments? Are you incapable of formulating any? When a post is put forward that contains factual arguments for which you have no response or don't have the time to articulate an argument, why not simply say that or say nothing? A forum is for discussion and tends to be more enjoyable when there are diverse opinions. If you can't have a civil discussion with a person with whom you disagree (however strongly), why participate?

nice try coming to your little brothers defense, , but its Dave thats having the meltdown - all brought upon himself!

as usual

however, i am very flattered that you take the time to research all my posts. can you provide the specific math computations and post quotes to support your conclusion?

so nice to know you care so much!

david gibson
09-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe if YOU didn't spend so much time on the internet, you would HAVE A JOB and not have to mooch off of all of us who DO ACTUALLY WORK!

and whoohoo...gonna start attacking dog training? You're the greatest!
Good luck with the job hunt. If your internet scam doesn't work out, we can always use another chamber maid in the hospital. I know how good you are at spewing crap, maybe you can pick it up, too. Let me know if I can help.
:-P:-P:-P

You can tell.....I'm just-a meltin' down!! Yessiree!

yes, we can tell - that is a great example of a meltdown! you are freaking out dude, you really need a chill pill.

um, job hunt? haven't done that in years. i DO have a JOB, its called my own company. 2 of them as a matter of fact. is it my fault that making a living off of photography involves using a computer????

nice melt down bro - keep up the personal attacks!

the only "doctor" i know that spends 10 hours a day arguing on the internet in an internet forum about retriever training and you have never trained one yourself...... - you should be proud!

do you put this on your resume or doctor quals???

dnf777
09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
but its Dave thats having the meltdown - all brought upon himself!

as usual

If you call sipping Coppola merlot, listening to Stevie Nicks, and checking in on POTUS while putting together a presentation to be given in Maui next year......then YESSIRee, I'm meltin' right on down! And loving it. Yup, you got me all flustered.

Ooh...Nikolai Znaider playing Sarasate just came on the shuffle....gotta go melt down some more...and refill the merlot. Gosh darn, I'm so flustered. :rolleyes:

david gibson
09-30-2010, 09:48 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i'll concede that. i am quite certain you look at more a-holes by 9am than i do. heck, you have me beat at 5am just looking in the mirror......

david gibson
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
If you call sipping Coppola merlot, listening to Stevie Nicks, and checking in on POTUS while putting together a presentation to be given in Maui next year......then YESSIRee, I'm meltin' right on down! And loving it. Yup, you got me all flustered.

Ooh...Nikolai Znaider playing Sarasate just came on the shuffle....gotta go melt down some more...and refill the merlot. Gosh darn, I'm so flustered. :rolleyes:

now see? thats all you had to do - have a nice merlot. you are far more mellow now. a glass 2 hours ago would have averted a lot of high blood pressure issues with you....

dnf777
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i'll concede that. i am quite certain you look at more a-holes by 9am than i do. heck, you have me beat at 5am just looking in the mirror......

Hey Dave, if the photography thingy doesn't work out, you could always be a comedian. Never heard anything like that before. You get a star by your name for originality!

I'm holding back on replies....it would just be way too easy. And not fair. But if you could...send me a pic of yourself. I need some graphics for the proctalgia fugax talk.

YardleyLabs
09-30-2010, 10:07 PM
nice try coming to your little brothers defense, , but its Dave thats having the meltdown - all brought upon himself!

as usual

however, i am very flattered that you take the time to research all my posts. can you provide the specific math computations and post quotes to support your conclusion?

so nice to know you care so much!
Well you have outdone yourself -- 53 posts in three days, more than 30 today, and still counting. Virtually every one contains a snide personal comment about a member of the forum. No one else comes even close. You are the hands down winner and here's your ribbon!:barf::barf::barf:

Chris Atkinson
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Those involved in personal attacks in this thread....issue more and your account will be read only.

No PM's are to be sent to me. Be accountable for your actions please.

I predict some banned accounts within the next few days.

Please prove me wrong.

Chris

david gibson
10-01-2010, 12:16 AM
and of course, as usual, i am the only offender....:confused:

i wholly apologize for any personal attacks on dnf777. he certainly doesnt deserve it and has never said anything personal to me. whatever got in to me to be such a bully to him?

and i dont recall many comments to yardley, but he sure attacks me at every chance in defense of dave. obviously my fault as well.

i apologize guys. i am clearly out of line.

ducknwork
10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
DG, nobody singled you out. You, Chris, and everyone here knows that you aren't the only one out of line on this thread.

You aren't going to play the victim card are you? How lefty of you!;):D

road kill
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Well you have outdone yourself -- 53 posts in three days, more than 30 today, and still counting. Virtually every one contains a snide personal comment about a member of the forum. No one else comes even close. You are the hands down winner and here's your ribbon!:barf::barf::barf:
Do you really find fault here with no one but Gibson?
Really?
Maybe you should go back and reread all the posts.

No bias in your eyes........

RK

Ken Bora
10-01-2010, 10:11 PM
.....I couldn't agree more with your last statement. I had a cousin hang himself where he knew his little sister would find him. We all felt sorry for him up until that point. Then I basically hated him, and wasn't too sad he was gone. At least he wouldn't hurt anyone like that again. Its a very selfish, thoughtless act. In my worst nightmares, I can't begin to imagine what his family went through that morning, and many times since in their minds.

I know exactly how you mean dnf777. I had a very good friend named David Premo. He was a wonderful feller who took the tying of fishing flies to an art form. We hunted and trout fished all over the state of Vermont. We were co-workers. One February evening, he did his Wife’s taxes, paid all the bills and put stamps on the envelopes. And shot himself in the head with the 10-22 that I had given him for his birthday. After when all was said and done, as the gun was purchased by me. The police asked me if I wanted it back. Only time I’ve ever cursed at a law enforcement officer! Even years later, thinking about him typing this I hate him. It destroyed his Father and Mother. His wife is still just never the same. The hurt…… It just well sucks. And to David G. Yes I do blame it all on him. Absolutely all every bit on him.

One time David G., Just after July 4th 1985 I slipped and fell mowing the lawn at dusk on a steep hill. Chopped up both feet pretty good. Still have all my toes thank you Dr. Blackman and team. Few weeks after when I was out of the hospital and could drive I went to work to get my pay and while I was gone my house burned down killing my Grandfather and my dog and leaving me homeless and with only the clothes on my back and unemployed because of my chopped up feet. I had my truck and 1 weeks pay. Oh of course there was a shotgun in the truck.
I came so close………………………..
But I thought I would wait a day.
Twenty-five years later, when I lay down to sleep I think about that. Every night, and smile to myself thinking, “”Made it through another day!” And am so happy I let myself live!!!
So yes David, both the Kid in the news, and my very good friend David Premo.
I do directly blame them. It is a choice.
If a week ass punk like me can make it through one more day to another to another to another. Then anyone can.

And p.s. David,
I also feel you have been a wee bit rude, of late.
Is everything all right?

charly_t
10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I once asked a friend why she had tried to kill herself many years ago. She said her pain was so great that she was not thinking of anyone but herself.
I have never had that kind of mental/emotional pain so I can't judge her. I understand her pain but have not had it just had physical pain ( ruptured disk in my back was the worst I ever encountered I think ). I guess there is a big difference.

dnf777
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Jeez, Ken, that's quite a load.
I'm bewildered by the actions people take in their last moments. Paying bills, stamping envelopes....as if any of that matters in light of what they're about to do....yet it seems to. The young man in the news took the time to set his cell phone and wallet on the bridge. To a rational mind, who would give a crap about a phone and wallet if you're about to take a swan off the bridge? (rational mind, in context only) Many people clean their house first.

I hope I didn't sound cold in my comments. I think you understand perfectly what I meant. I don't love him any less, I just hate him for what he did. Make sense?

And for what its worth, I'm damn glad you saw fit to stick it out! Many in your situation wouldn't have. My old surgery chief would tell us when someone was about to quit and leave the program, "the same pounding that shatters glass, hardens steel". I've reminded myself of that many times over the years.

on to more cheerful subjects........

dave

depittydawg
10-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Jeez, Ken, that's quite a load.
I'm bewildered by the actions people take in their last moments. Paying bills, stamping envelopes....as if any of that matters in light of what they're about to do....yet it seems to. The young man in the news took the time to set his cell phone and wallet on the bridge. To a rational mind, who would give a crap about a phone and wallet if you're about to take a swan off the bridge? (rational mind, in context only) Many people clean their house first.

I hope I didn't sound cold in my comments. I think you understand perfectly what I meant. I don't love him any less, I just hate him for what he did. Make sense?

And for what its worth, I'm damn glad you saw fit to stick it out! Many in your situation wouldn't have. My old surgery chief would tell us when someone was about to quit and leave the program, "the same pounding that shatters glass, hardens steel". I've reminded myself of that many times over the years.

on to more cheerful subjects........

dave

This turned into one of the most interesting threads I've read around here. I know the feeling you guys have about the selfishness of suicide. Several years back, a man at work went home and shot himself in the head in front of his 4 year old son. No one else was home and it was several hours before his wife came home to find the mess. I didn't know him well personally, but people who did were shocked. I remember at that time realizing how selfish an act suicide was. Kind of like the final decisive blow a coward can inflict on those he decides he wants to hurt.
But to me this story was different. Is different. The act that drove this kid to suicide was so malicious it transcends reason. In this kids case, I don't get the feeling he killed himself to hurt others. I think he probably felt like his life was ruined by the horrific actions of those that attacked him. And it was an attack. A malicious hateful attack. I'm guessing he felt trapped. And that his only out was that bridge.

Ken Bora
10-01-2010, 10:50 PM
hope I didn't sound cold in my comments. I think you understand perfectly what I meant. I don't love him any less, I just hate him for what he did. Make sense

yes....
Just how I feel about Dave when I use one of the flies he tied me or fish the places we used to go......
You can compleatly love and absolutly hate.... all at the same time
and it sucks.......
I miss him.

Becky Mills
10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Ken,
Add me to the list of people who are awfully awfully glad you decided to keep going. The world, at least our corner of it, would be oh so much poorer without you.

charly_t
10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Ken,
Add me to the list of people who are awfully awfully glad you decided to keep going. The world, at least our corner of it, would be oh so much poorer without you.

Ditto !

Ken, I really like reading your posts. They contain good common sense.