PDA

View Full Version : WI Duck Season Opener

road kill
10-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Duck season opens tomorrow.
I am very excited......just 1 mature Woody Drake and I will be happy.

1 nice retrieve for Elvis....sweetness.

OK, maybe 6 nice retreives!!

How about youse guys?

RK

Goose
10-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Early last year we discovered a new place on the lake that was covered in woodies and hunted it hard for the entire first half of the season. One morning we shot 4 limits in 17 minutes including a quad. Goose had a great morning that day and I sure hope we see them again this year.

Texas has a youth only hunt later in October so I'll be taking two young, hard-chargers out in the field for a first time duck hunt. Gonna go out next week on Wednesday and set up my blinds.

And the cooler weather has finally reached us!

troy schwab
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
One of my swamps I checked last nite was loaded with woodies (40+)...... acorns everywhere! Our season opens the ninth, and I cannot wait. This is my pups first year, and I plan on shootin 250 or more over him this year. To say Im excited is an understatement! Good luck to everyone this season, and BE SAFE!

ducknwork
10-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Troy, 250?!!:shock: Do you have a job?:D;)

Good luck, RK.

Our season opens up Wednesday, but I won't get out til Saturday most likely. All there is to shoot around here now is woodies and I don't know what to expect. I have two new spots that are pretty promising, but we just had 12" of rain dumped on us in the last 4 days, so now I might need to rethink my game plan to deal with that little curveball. Too much water...:( I can't wait to see how Dixie does. If dove season is any indication, I think I'll be pleased with her.:D

Make sure you guys post pictures on the brag thread! BTW, if any of you are in contact with the mods, have them make that a sticky...

BonMallari
10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, I packed up the suburban yesterday afternoon after consuming copious amounts of wine at S&W,intending to head up to Montana on Sunday and hunt a well known FT property.....until a friend who scouted for me yesterday said it was 80 degrees and all he saw were a dozen mallards that were flying from one pond to another.

the good news is that the barley field came in nicely and was being harvested, there are no birds in eastern Idaho either, it was 85 degrees there Monday when they guys were chasing mule deer with a stick and string (bowhunting)...unless the weather changes this weekend I am stuck with a loaded truck full of equipment until the weather changes

troy schwab
10-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Troy, 250?!!:shock: Do you have a job?:D;)

Good luck, RK.

Our season opens up Wednesday, but I won't get out til Saturday most likely. All there is to shoot around here now is woodies and I don't know what to expect. I have two new spots that are pretty promising, but we just had 12" of rain dumped on us in the last 4 days, so now I might need to rethink my game plan to deal with that little curveball. Too much water...:( I can't wait to see how Dixie does. If dove season is any indication, I think I'll be pleased with her.:D

Make sure you guys post pictures on the brag thread! BTW, if any of you are in contact with the mods, have them make that a sticky...

Ducknwork,
Yea, I have a job.....LOL. Im in outside sales, so I pretty much set my own schedule. As long as my quota gets hit, boss pretty much stays off my ass. Plus I live like six minutes from Presque Isle Bay where we have two blinds this year. Plus, all my inland stuff. So I can hunt almost every morning before work, and Sat and Sunday(in New York). So, although my hopes may be a little high, it is not unattainable.

SO HERE'S TO STRAIGHT SHOOTIN, AND A GOOD FLIGHT THIS FALL!!!

ducknwork
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Wow man, that's pretty awesome to have a job like that. Count me jealous.:)

Good luck to you this year!

starjack
10-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Getting excited to . Live 10 min. from green bay 20 min from lake michigan . My pups first season . See how she does. GOOD LUCK EVERY BODY!!!

road kill
10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Getting excited to . Live 10 min. from green bay 20 min from lake michigan . My pups first season . See how she does. GOOD LUCK EVERY BODY!!!
starjack, do you run your pup in HT's??
AKC or HRC??

Have we crossed paths??

stan b & Elvis

starjack
10-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I have run hunt test with my older dog all thou i started him real late (OLD). Did those in valders wis I use him for run and gun . The pup is going to run next year. My trainer and training buddys said i should skip jrs. with her and see if i can get her her sr . So i dont think so but some day we might. If you ever come up to Green Bay to a game i know the best place to park and not have to pay there high parking prices. JAKE.

starjack
10-03-2010, 08:45 PM
puppy gets a A FOR THE WEEKEND WHAT A BLAST!!! Took third in run and gun . My old guytook first on sat. Took us all day got our limit on mallard teal and woodies. one mallard had jewlery . The little girl did three blind and dove under to snatcha mallard. How everybody else do ?

ducknwork
10-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Results, RK??? Inquring minds want to know!

I'm getting kinda fired up for this weekend. We have had a blast of cooler air. It looks like I might not have to sweat and swat mosquitos on Saturday! Bring on the wood ducks, baby!:D

road kill
10-04-2010, 06:24 AM
I had an interesting weekend.
I am tired.

I hate "Black Cloud" ammo.

Hunt tests set ups are for wusses!!!!!:D

Ducks are mean, evil smart asses!!!;-)

More later.

RK

road kill
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
OK......

#1----I used "Black Cloud" loads.
First shot jams ejecting.
I am digging shell out with leatherman tool, 3 woodies land in the decoys!!!!
I get the shell out, lock and load and as they flew away the little bastards are laughing, not quacking (I know they don't quack I am using literary license).

LAUGHING I tell ya!!!

#2--No more whining about tough blinds in hunt tests!!!!

I knocked down a Woodie, it glides about 200+ yards and hits the cattails/swamp.
We are standing in mud and water to my knees, with weeds to my waist.
Neither of us know exactlty where the bird is, a double blind so to speak.
I sends Elvis and he tears ass out, gets a ways out and pops, looks at me like WTF??
I am handling him to the downwind side of where I think the bird is.
I keep pushing him back in this crap while I have climbed up on a muskrat platform so he can see me.

At about 225+ he gets a nose full.
I see his tail going, I let him finish.
I hear all kinds of splashing and thrashing, I can't see Elvis, then here he comes, bird in mouth, chest pumped out!!

So, we probaly get a 0 in a hunt test, but 1 we got 1 Woodie in the bag.
And I am proud of his work.

RK

ducknwork
10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Awesome Stan! You gotta love the real stuff instead of the games!:D Sounds like Elvis made a real tough retrieve for you. You should be one proud dude! I don't think my dog will have to ever worry about making a 200 yd retrieve on a woodie. None of my wood duck holes are that big!:cool: Good luck whenever you get back out.

I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL SATURDAY!!!

starjack
10-04-2010, 01:33 PM
OK......

#1----I used "Black Cloud" loads.
First shot jams ejecting.
I am digging shell out with leatherman tool, 3 woodies land in the decoys!!!!
I get the shell out, lock and load and as they flew away the little bastards are laughing, not quacking (I know they don't quack I am using literary license).

LAUGHING I tell ya!!!

#2--No more whining about tough blinds in hunt tests!!!!

I knocked down a Woodie, it glides about 200+ yards and hits the cattails/swamp.
We are standing in mud and water to my knees, with weeds to my waist.
Neither of us know exactlty where the bird is, a double blind so to speak.
I sends Elvis and he tears ass out, gets a ways out and pops, looks at me like WTF??
I am handling him to the downwind side of where I think the bird is.
I keep pushing him back in this crap while I have climbed up on a muskrat platform so he can see me.

At about 225+ he gets a nose full.
I see his tail going, I let him finish.
I hear all kinds of splashing and thrashing, I can't see Elvis, then here he comes, bird in mouth, chest pumped out!!

So, we probaly get a 0 in a hunt test, but 1 we got 1 Woodie in the bag.
And I am proud of his work.

RK

RK. Sounds like the stuff we hunt early its tough but still alot of fun. See guys go out there with out a dog i just scratch my head. Mabey if they would have seen what elvis did theyed think long and hard of getting one.

road kill
10-04-2010, 02:25 PM
RK. Sounds like the stuff we hunt early its tough but still alot of fun. See guys go out there with out a dog i just scratch my head. Mabey if they would have seen what elvis did theyed think long and hard of getting one.

Lots of work for 1 wood duck.
I am hungry!!!:D

I'll get out again Wednesday....all day.
Right now it is 55 and crystal clear out.
Probably a tad early yet but what the heck!!

RK

M&K's Retrievers
10-04-2010, 03:13 PM

RK

Sure beats looking at a computer screen and reading what we idiots with nothing better to do have to say as we stand on our soap boxes and opine.

road kill
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Sure beats looking at a computer screen and reading what we idiots with nothing better to do have to say as we stand on our soap boxes and opine.

I read stuff all day by bigger idiots than us........well most of us.:rolleyes:

You know, I'll have to check with dnf to see what my Mom said!!;-)

RK

starjack
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM

RK

That blue bird day is what took us so long yesterday.

road kill
10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Pretty clear that not too many here hunt.

Too bad.
I wonder if they run HT's or FT's???

RK

BonMallari
10-04-2010, 04:50 PM

Too bad.

RK

I'm more worried how many on here actually VOTE...;)

road kill
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
If I ever get to judge a HT again for a water/land blind I will make the handler stand on a rat platform and handle their dog in mud/water/weeds to an unmarked area of the fall.
Handler..."where is the blind??":confused:
Judge stan....."over there somewhere!!":cool:

Can't you just hear the WHINING!!!!!:D

And the fluffy owners squealing "EWWWWWWWW!!!":eek:

RK

luvmylabs23139
10-04-2010, 05:28 PM
It's not duck season here yet.

allydeer
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
i am with road kill that would be a true hunt test . sign me up . stand back and listen to the whineing

ducknwork
10-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Change of plans...I'll be going in the morning...:D:D:D:D:D

Wish me and Dixie luck! I have a lot of high hopes for her...:)

road kill
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Change of plans...I'll be going in the morning...:D:D

Wish me and Dixie luck! I have a lot of high hopes for her...:)

Git-R-Dunnnnnn!!!!!:D

RK

charly_t
10-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Too bad.

RK

Some of us have to hunt vicariously..........I had to stop when my Children started arriving ( 1958 for the first one ). I always got a very good re-run from my husband as to what happened when he returned from the hunt ( mostly quails ). Enjoyed it....every word of it. He can no longer hunt due to old age problems so I have to come here and read.

road kill
10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Some of us have to hunt vicariously..........I had to stop when my Children started arriving ( 1958 for the first one ). I always got a very good re-run from my husband as to what happened when he returned from the hunt ( mostly quails ). Enjoyed it....every word of it. He can no longer hunt due to old age problems so I have to come here and read.
Where is Osage County??
I know where the town of Osage is and Osage Beach and the Osage river.
All in the Lake of the Ozarks area in MO.

BTW--Great reading about all type of hunts is a book my late wife got me called "A Hunters Heart, Honest Essays on Blood Sport."
By David Petersen

Very neat read on hunting in days and places gone by.

stan b

tom
10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Having a heart condition and turning 70 is the ONLY reason I wasn't out in the marsh this last weekend.
Oh and giving all my shotguns to my grandson might have something to do with it. To bad he is busy playin' in the sand box, and couldn't go either.

charly_t
10-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Where is Osage County??
I know where the town of Osage is and Osage Beach and the Osage river.
All in the Lake of the Ozarks area in MO.

BTW--Great reading about all type of hunts is a book my late wife got me called "A Hunters Heart, Honest Essays on Blood Sport."
By David Petersen

Very neat read on hunting in days and places gone by.

stan b

Osage county is ( or was ) actually the last reservation for the Osage tribe in Oklahoma. Very interesting stories about it's history.

Glad to hear about the book....am always on the look out for good reading material. Kind of off topic perhaps but I love Peter Hathaway Capstick books.
Started reading his stories in the Outdoor Life magazine many years ago. A
family member ( God Bless her ) thinks it's strange that I enjoy those. When the hunter becomes the hunted it disturbs some people.

road kill
10-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Having a heart condition and turning 70 is the ONLY reason I wasn't out in the marsh this last weekend.
Oh and giving all my shotguns to my grandson might have something to do with it. To bad he is busy playin' in the sand box, and couldn't go either.
Tom,
I duck hunt with my Grandfathers shotgun.
A classic.
A High Standard 200.
(OK, a JC Higgins model 20:rolleyes:)

It's an honor and nostalgic to use it.
It does not handle Black Cloud ammo well however.
I shoot 2-3/4" #3's in it!!!

stan b

tom
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
It does not handle Black Cloud ammo well however.
I shoot 2-3/4" #3's in it!!!

I gave him all my shells too, sure hope he remembers which shells go to which gun!! :eek:

starjack
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
If I ever get to judge a HT again for a water/land blind I will make the handler stand on a rat platform and handle their dog in mud/water/weeds to an unmarked area of the fall.
Handler..."where is the blind??":confused:
Judge stan....."over there somewhere!!":cool:

Can't you just hear the WHINING!!!!!:D

And the fluffy owners squealing "EWWWWWWWW!!!":eek:

RK

Let us know when that happens ill bring the pop corn and beer.

road kill
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Let us know when that happens ill bring the pop corn and beer.

Right now I am qualified as a JH Judge.
I will apprentice for SH judge this spring.
I swear if I ever get to judge a SH test I will make the handlers stand in water and not tell them where the blind is!!!!!
Pink camo, flip flops and all!!:D

Also, if they handle a dog down wind and he picks up the scent and finishes slipping that last sit whistle, I will NOT mark them down on that.

That nose matters and can get a real life hunting retrieve where a handle won'T.

So, no one will probably ever want me to judge now.
But I swear many judges have never hunted, and another group don't know the rules.......(don't get me started on that one!!)

RK

tom
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM
As a judge, I always wanted to throw a mark in a standing corn field. You wouldn't believe the language that suggesting it brought forth ;)

If you have ever hunted in the PHRAGMITIES, you would understand.

starjack
10-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Right now I am qualified as a JH Judge.
I will apprentice for SH judge this spring.
I swear if I ever get to judge a SH test I will make the handlers stand in water and not tell them where the blind is!!!!!
Pink camo, flip flops and all!!:D

Also, if they handle a dog down wind and he picks up the scent and finishes slipping that last sit whistle, I will NOT mark them down on that.

That nose matters and can get a real life hunting retrieve where a handle won'T.

So, no one will probably ever want me to judge now.
But I swear many judges have never hunted, and another group don't know the rules.......(don't get me started on that one!!)

RK

IM WITH YOU ON THAT ONE. NO FLIP FLOPS FOR BUT I WILL BBUY YOU A BEER AFTERWARD. Like they say the nose knows.

BonMallari
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
As a judge, I always wanted to throw a mark in a standing corn field. You wouldn't believe the language that suggesting it brought forth ;)

If you have ever hunted in the PHRAGMITIES, you would understand.

that reminds me of years ago when I was training with Clint, he stopped at a field that had been partially harvested as you described. My oldest brother and I laughed at him wanting to throw a mark in that field..my oldest brother even went so far as to tell him he was "off your rocker"....but being the good brother's we were, we went along with his plan and trained in that field...

well guess what the first test in the Open was the following week...never second guessed him since..:-P

road kill
10-08-2010, 05:46 AM
75+ yesterday, 78+ today.
Not a cloud in the sky.
No breeze at all.

Not that good for ducks.

Oh well......

RK

savage25xtreme
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Just be glad you can go if you want to.... another month of waiting here. :p

starjack
10-08-2010, 07:21 PM
75+ yesterday, 78+ today.
Not a cloud in the sky.
No breeze at all.

Not that good for ducks.

Oh well......

RK

MAN IT SUCKS FOR DUCKS. But sure is nice on the heating bill. Going to get ready for winter around the house so when the weather turns i can roll.

road kill
10-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Look out ducks, here we come!!!:D

RK

M&K's Retrievers
10-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Stan, your ducks get up too early or live too far away.

road kill
10-15-2010, 02:54 PM
OK!!!!!

It has cooled down a tad---50's 60's.

We are back at it tomorrow.
Moved my blind a tad.
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/Photo-0050.jpg

Let's git after it!!;-)

stan b, Elvis & the redhead!!

starjack
10-15-2010, 03:25 PM
OK!!!!!

It has cooled down a tad---50's 60's.

We are back at it tomorrow.
Moved my blind a tad.

Let's git after it!!;-)

stan b, Elvis & the redhead!!

Hope you got my pm. Got a run and gun on sat. going to try the west shore of greenbay sun . sure not many ducks on the east shore yet need a good north blow for the divers to come down. Got a invite to do a layout boat hunt but waiting for more divers to arrive. GOOD LUCK SHOOT EM UP!!!!

ducknwork
10-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Good luck RK...I wish I could go tomorrow but our season is out until Nov 13. I'm going to try and get into some stripers in the morning instead.:D

M&K's Retrievers
10-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Good luck RK...I wish I could go tomorrow but our season is out until Nov 13. I'm going to try and get into some stripers in the morning instead.:D

Using shad or artificial?

ducknwork
10-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Using shad or artificial?

Artificial. And we got sk-sk-sk-skunked! They were everywhere and I threw everything in the box at them and got nothing but a tired casting arm.:(

I did see a bunch of mallards, woodies, and geese though...I know where I'll be hunting when our season comes back in.:D

road kill
10-18-2010, 06:42 AM
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/Photo-0053.jpg

Elvis looks pretty happy!!:rolleyes:

BTW---That's all we are allowed here as far as wood ducks.
Saw no teal and the big ducks are not here yet.

RK

ducknwork
10-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Elvis looks very happy...:shock:

Four woodies...not a bad day.;):eek:

road kill
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Elvis looks very happy...:shock:

Four woodies...not a bad day.;):eek:
1 of the drakes was almost a keeper.
I shot them with a 1962 Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge shotgun using 2-3/4" #4.
(Grampa's gun)
Here to fore I will use an 835 (up tp 3-1/2") for the big water ducks (lake Michigan).
Can't wait till this weekend, bow hunting and duck hunting in Door cty. WI.

They were wrapped in bacon, smothered in butter and Babe Winkleman's garlic salt.

Delightful!!

I shot a wild rooster yesterday, we had pheasant tenders during the football game!!

Life is good.

RK

Franco
10-18-2010, 01:00 PM
1 of the drakes was almost a keeper.
I shot them with a 1962 Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge shotgun using 2-3/4" #4.
(Grampa's gun)
Here to fore I will use an 835 (up tp 3-1/2") for the big water ducks (lake Michigan).
Can't wait till this weekend, bow hunting and duck hunting in Door cty. WI.

They were wrapped in bacon, smothered in butter and Babe Winkleman's garlic salt.

Delightful!!

I shot a wild rooster yesterday, we had pheasant tenders during the football game!!

Life is good.

RK

What, are you now a Viks fan? Don't give up on the Packers just yet!;-)

road kill
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
So, anyways, we dropped a triple Saturday!!!:shock:
I sent Elvis, he runs the first bird down, brings it back, I grab it and get ready to line him up.........GONE!

20 seconds later he returns with bird #2......I get ready to line him up.......there he was.....gone.

The frist 2 were in the decoys and flew out to about 35-45 yards where they dropped.

The 3rd was about 100 yards swimming and flopping.
He wasn't waiting, he got out there, the danged thing was trying to get away, Elvis kicks it into gear, the race was on!!

Again, shame on me for letting him get away with this, but Elvis did a triple in the field basically telling me to shut up, sit down and watch how it's done!!:D

Dat's a gooooood DAWG!!!

RK

ducknwork
10-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I hope I get to see some good dog work like that when our season opens back up. You should be real proud of Elvis, RK!!:D

road kill
10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Headin' up nort' to duck & bow hunt in an hour or 2.
Amazing how much crap you gotta take!!

The Exp. is fully loaded for bare.

I will try to post from the crackberry while in the tree stand tomorrow.
Peace my hunting brethern!!

Seek the spirit of the wild!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDA5nHlDrQ&feature=channel

Have a great weekend outdoors!!

Team Elvis

starjack
10-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Just did my first lay out boat hunt on the bay . What a blast. We shot six blue bills and a shovler. Missed a buffelhead forgot to jack a shell in the chamber what dumba$$. Must have seen 50,000 DUCKS WHEN THE SHIP LEFT OUT OF GREEN BAY PORT. The sky would turn black. Could see them flying around when we going out to set up

road kill
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Just did my first lay out boat hunt on the bay . What a blast. We shot six blue bills and a shovler. Missed a buffelhead forgot to jack a shell in the chamber what dumba$$. Must have seen 50,000 DUCKS WHEN THE SHIP LEFT OUT OF GREEN BAY PORT. The sky would turn black. Could see them flying around when we going out to set up
Yep, we saw tons of birds Sat.
Unfortunately it was pouring and the birds were out past the breaker line.
And my partner was w wimp.

The birds were flying about 12" above the water tearing ass up and down the bank.

Bow hunting was just as bad.
I sat in my stand from 2:00 pm until 6:00 pm Sat.
I was soaked to the bone.
And got cold.
I didn't even go out Sun morning as it was still raining.

Next weekend we're back at it.:D

stan b

starjack
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Yep, we saw tons of birds Sat.
Unfortunately it was pouring and the birds were out past the breaker line.
And my partner was w wimp.

The birds were flying about 12" above the water tearing ass up and down the bank.

Bow hunting was just as bad.
I sat in my stand from 2:00 pm until 6:00 pm Sat.
I was soaked to the bone.
And got cold.
I didn't even go out Sun morning as it was still raining.

Next weekend we're back at it.:D

stan b

Did you see many goldeneye or canvasbacks all we got shooting at were bluebills. The best is yet to come i hope.

road kill
10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Did you see many goldeneye or canvasbacks all we got shooting at were bluebills. The best is yet to come i hope.

I saw a lot of mature redheads.
Not sure what the rest were, but a hunter told me a lot of birds were coming down now.

stan b

BonMallari
10-25-2010, 05:35 PM
I saw a lot of mature redheads.
Not sure what the rest were, but a hunter told me a lot of birds were coming down now.

stan b

stay away from those...nothing but trouble with an evil streak to match:-P:-P

road kill
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
stay away from those...nothing but trouble with an evil streak to match:-P:-P
yep, I got me one, a keeper!!;-)

Maybe I should mount her?????
(did I just say that???:oops:)

RK

ducknwork
10-26-2010, 06:22 AM
yep, I got me one, a keeper!!;-)

Maybe I should mount her?????
(did I just say that???:oops:)

RK

You should probably send it to a qualified taxidermist so nothing gets messed up by amatuer work.

Roger Perry
10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
RK, I hear the wind will be kicking up a bit this week. Should help to keep the birds flying.:lol:

starjack
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Another weekend is here burned a day vacation. Let 10 of my ditch chicken go on wen. See if we can chase them up fri. Then back in the layout boat sat. With the big wind and the colder temps new birds should be down and moving. See if ican limit out. Now brings us to sunday have to youth coming along on a pheasant hunt. Me and my buddy are not caring guns let the kids have the fun shooting . I just like the dog work any way. GOOD LUCK WHOM EVER GETS OUT!!!!

road kill
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
RK, I hear the wind will be kicking up a bit this week. Should help to keep the birds flying.:lol:
It's been in the 60mph+ range.
Can you beleive that shat??

This weekend should be OK, but I think the wood ducks are GONE!!!!!
Yet the green heads are not here yet.

I'll be bow hunting in Door county.
Maybe I should start a bow hunting thread.

RK

starjack
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Well its sunday friday was fun . But saturday was cool set up once wasent working. so set up agein that worked. have to adapt. Now its sunday. THE KIDS decided trick or treat was more fun. So us elders went out and had a blast about the misses and the good shots. Me personally that pup i have is starting to grow on me fast. I hope who ever got out was a safe hunt and you remember the day and not the numbers.

road kill
11-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Well its sunday friday was fun . But saturday was cool set up once wasent working. so set up agein that worked. have to adapt. Now its sunday. THE KIDS decided trick or treat was more fun. So us elders went out and had a blast about the misses and the good shots. Me personally that pup i have is starting to grow on me fast. I hope who ever got out was a safe hunt and you remember the day and not the numbers.

Pretty windy this weekend up in Ellison Bay.
Enormous amounts of ducks, but they stayed out in the deeper water cause of the Norwester's.
Wind changed probably a dozen times Sat.

Bow hunting was pretty quiet as well due to wind.
Rut is just kicking in.
Saw a runt 6 and 2 does

Ducks on hold for a couple weeks now.
Gotta get some venison.

I have 2 issues about long days outside as I get older.
Stayed out sunrise to sunset Sat.
Getting cold and getting dehydrated.:rolleyes:

stan b

starjack
11-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Just a quick note took a ride a round last evening saw a buck trailing a doe she dident want nothing to do with him yet . My redhead had to call me about the big buck that crossed the road in front of her in the morning. So with the moon phase and the weather to hold i think this is going to be the weekend . Good luck. jake

gman0046
11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Two and a half weeks to go for our phase 1 season to open. We're training hard and can't wait.

starjack
11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Well friday morning is off to iowa for my 20th year for some high speed chicken. All thou the number have been declining still manage to get alot of flushes and the dogs get some good work. We try to get them pretty tired and it usually work. But they always out last there masters. So who ever gets out for the holiday shoot straight be safe and remember the day not the numbers.

BonMallari
11-29-2010, 01:31 AM
had to post this picture of my oldest brother Ely...he is a retired 74 yr old living in Austin and he took this 8 pointer at a friends low fence ranch in Marble Falls, all with a longbow and cedar shafted arrows..he hit the deer very late Fri night but even with a massive blood stained arrow was unable to find the deer until the morning with the help of these two dogs..His arrow hit hard in the liver but didnt hit a lung, and due to the cold night the deer survived the
night

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/IMG_6640.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/IMG_6644.jpg

road kill
12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
A fine Saturday morning;

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/Photo-0066.jpg

As you can see, Elvis is in a state of arousal again!!:rolleyes:

RK

BonMallari
12-11-2010, 05:56 PM
can you blame him with those roosters to show for a day's work...He proud of himself, not shy either

dnf777
12-11-2010, 06:02 PM
had to post this picture of my oldest brother Ely...he is a retired 74 yr old living in Austin and he took this 8 pointer at a friends low fence ranch in Marble Falls, all with a longbow and cedar shafted arrows..he hit the deer very late Fri night but even with a massive blood stained arrow was unable to find the deer until the morning with the help of these two dogs..His arrow hit hard in the liver but didnt hit a lung, and due to the cold night the deer survived the
night

That was a funny looking lab. I hope he delivered to hand.

ducknwork
12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice RK! I would love to shoot some pheasants, but we don't have them around here.

starjack
12-12-2010, 06:33 AM
A fine Saturday morning;

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/Photo-0066.jpg

As you can see, Elvis is in a state of arousal again!!:rolleyes:

RK

Nice job. You must of beat the storm. How do you cook up your birds?

road kill
12-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Nice job. You must of beat the storm. How do you cook up your birds?

I make;

Soup
Pheasant & Dumplings
Stir fry (w/pineapple, tomatoes w/ grn & yellow & red peppers)
And I have them made into brats for ice fishing.

As far as the storm.....HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

We got about 1/2" of snow.

RK

starjack
12-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I make mine into phesant nuggets deep fry them. This year im going to try sausage sticks. We got hammered up here still snowing and very windy.

road kill
12-12-2010, 07:21 AM
I make mine into phesant nuggets deep fry them. This year im going to try sausage sticks. We got hammered up here still snowing and very windy.

Pheasant tenders too.

Always good, dip them into some ranch dressing.:D

Lookin' forward to nest Sat!!

stan b

dnf777
12-12-2010, 07:25 AM

My favorite dove dish is fried dove nuggets with Cajun fish fry.
You guys are making me hungry. Might need to raid the deep freeze to weather this storm.

road kill
12-12-2010, 07:28 AM
You guys are making me hungry. Might need to raid the deep freeze to weather this storm.

We are having Pheasant Cordon Bleu Brats during the Packer Lions game today.:D

RK

dnf777
12-12-2010, 07:36 AM

RK

Sauvignon blanc or Chardonnay? Gotta complete the picture!

dnf777
12-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Oh, BRATS. Missed that. In that case, beer in the snow.

ducknwork
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Dove breasts, wrapped in bacon...grill until the bacon is done and add a little BBQ sauce. mmm mmm good!:D

starjack
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I make;

Soup
Pheasant & Dumplings
Stir fry (w/pineapple, tomatoes w/ grn & yellow & red peppers)
And I have them made into brats for ice fishing.

As far as the storm.....HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

We got about 1/2" of snow.

RK
Pheasant dumpling soup. Recipe please. With you on ranch dressing dip for nuggets.

M&K's Retrievers
12-12-2010, 09:49 PM

RK

How do you make that?

road kill
12-13-2010, 05:43 AM
How do you make that?

The club offers them in exchange.
They have a little ham & cheese inside.

So;

Light the grill
Slap them babies on it
Cook untill golden brown
Slather some Sweet Baby Ray's on em'
Have at it!!:D

Stan b

starjack
12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Well bring on ice fishing. Released the last of my pheasants today. Put out 35 got 15 with 4 guy and 5 dogs Dam snow. Still had fun. The dogs got a good work out and so did there masters. Happy holidays to all.

starjack
12-19-2010, 01:11 PM
This ones for road kill Next year for sure with out that white stuff on the ground. JAKE.