PDA

View Full Version : Need recs. for e-collar choice

minnducker
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Used to train for FT using e-collar back when A1 70 Tri-tronics was only model available. Now there are too many options. I need to replace my old Tri-tronics basic collar. Now I just hunt hunt ducks and pheasants, but will continue to use e-collar for current and next pup's training, (Basic OB,forcing,handling etc.).
Some features I think I need, 12 volt car charger, 1/2 to 1 mile range, handy-size transmitter, reliable/durable/waterproof, good warranty/customer service.
Don't care about sound options or more than 3 levels of intensity. Spent a fair amount of time trying to decipher the comparison charts and prices.
Could any of you help by recommending a few good options based on your experience.

birdhunter66
10-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Tri Tronics 90 Model, Flyway, Pro 100, Pro 200 are all good. The Flyway and Pro 200 are about the same unit just the Flyway is about $35 cheaper. I've gone to Dogtra after 18 years of using Tri Tronics and I love it. I use the 1800 series myself, holds a charge for a long time and is very easy to use and reasonable priced. The Dogtra 3500 is a great unit as well. Just depends on what you want to spend on a collar. Both brands have put out some good collars. However I think some have way to many buttons for the average dog trainer/hunter. Just my two cents.

Keith Stroyan
10-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I have Dogtra 1800's: simple, rugged, dependable (for several years).

I switched to Dogtra after trouble with an older TT Flyway and haven't been disappointed, but features on the new TT's (esp. Flyway on up) are nice.

I have an old 500 LR ($60+shipping, in excellent condition, but needs batteries) if you want to go back in time... (If you try the newer models, you won't.)