PDA

View Full Version : Nominations held up by the senate

Buzz
10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) ó Three economists ó including one rejected by the Senate as too inexperienced to work at the Federal Reserve ó have won the Nobel prize in economics for their work in explaining why markets sometimes donít work so well.

subroc
10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Does the Nobel Prize have the same standing it once did?

Hasn't it become a left wing prize for expounding left wing ideas and ideals rather than a prize of merit?

after all, obama was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

They very well could be lacking experience.

Buzz
10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
That's exactly what I was expecting.

Franco
10-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

Maybe the three do not have any practical experience and are just academic economist. Do know anything about these three but...

Dem. Sen Mary Landreau is scoring big points with the state's Republicans by holding up this Obama appointment!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/09/mary_landrieu_to_keep_her_hold.html

subroc
10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I didn't take a definative position, I just no longer give credence to prizes when determining qualifications.

depittydawg
10-12-2010, 12:15 AM

Hasn't it become a left wing prize for expounding left wing ideas and ideals rather than a prize of merit?

No doubt Obama earning that award before he ever did anything was a farce. Their have been others who received awards for questionable contributions. Once you get away from the Sciences, these awards tend to be pretty subjective, and over time proven to miss the mark. Obama's is a good example.

subroc
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe the three do not have any practical experience and are just academic economist. Do know anything about these three but...

Dem. Sen Mary Landreau is scoring big points with the state's Republicans by holding up this Obama appointment!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/09/mary_landrieu_to_keep_her_hold.html

Things change...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_drilling_moratorium

Franco
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Things change...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_drilling_moratorium

Not so quick. She is holding out for more and will get it sooner or later;-)

Just before the Senate broke for the midterm election recess, Sen. Mary Landrieu (http://topics.nola.com/tag/mary%20landrieu/index.html), D-La., put a hold on the nomination of Jacob "Jack" Lew to be the director of the Office of Management and Budget, saying she would only release it when the Obama administration lifted the moratorium.
Despite the administration's announcement, Landrieu refused Tuesday to lift her hold on the president's nomination of Lew.

"I applaud the administration for taking a step in the right direction by lifting the deepwater drilling moratorium," Landrieu said. "Today's decision is a good start, but it must be accompanied by an action plan to get the entire industry in the Gulf of Mexico back to work. This means that the administration must continue to accelerate the granting of permits in shallow and deep water, and provide greater certainty about the rules and regulations industry must meet. I strongly believe that we can do this safely and swiftly."

Instead of releasing her hold, which has blocked a vote on Lew, Landrieu said, "I will take this time to look closely at how Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement is handling the issuing of permits and whether or not drilling activity in both shallow and deep water is resuming. "

"When Congress reconvenes for the lame duck session next month, I will have had several weeks to evaluate if today's lifting of the moratorium is actually putting people back to work," Landrieu said.

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., offered a similarly wary reaction.

"I guess this is movement in the right direction, but it's painfully slow," Vitter said. "It's clear that President Obama is going to preside over a continuing de facto moratorium for months or years, with new drilling held back to a fraction of previous levels. I'll keep fighting until real drilling happens and jobs are actually created.

menmon
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM

So you think Glen Beck should recieve a nobel prize?

Also there is a huge difference in nobel peace prize and nobel prize.

God help you!

menmon
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Buzz take note that Northwestern has its first Nobel Lauriate.

subroc
10-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by subroc

So you think Glen Beck should recieve a nobel prize?

Left field reference...

Also there is a huge difference in nobel peace prize and nobel prize....

There is also a common thread. Both are Nobel.

YardleyLabs
10-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Not so quick. She is holding out for more and will get it sooner or later;-)

Just before the Senate broke for the midterm election recess, Sen. Mary Landrieu (http://topics.nola.com/tag/mary%20landrieu/index.html), D-La., put a hold on the nomination of Jacob "Jack" Lew to be the director of the Office of Management and Budget, saying she would only release it when the Obama administration lifted the moratorium.
Despite the administration's announcement, Landrieu refused Tuesday to lift her hold on the president's nomination of Lew.

"I applaud the administration for taking a step in the right direction by lifting the deepwater drilling moratorium," Landrieu said. "Today's decision is a good start, but it must be accompanied by an action plan to get the entire industry in the Gulf of Mexico back to work. This means that the administration must continue to accelerate the granting of permits in shallow and deep water, and provide greater certainty about the rules and regulations industry must meet. I strongly believe that we can do this safely and swiftly."

Instead of releasing her hold, which has blocked a vote on Lew, Landrieu said, "I will take this time to look closely at how Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement is handling the issuing of permits and whether or not drilling activity in both shallow and deep water is resuming. "

"When Congress reconvenes for the lame duck session next month, I will have had several weeks to evaluate if today's lifting of the moratorium is actually putting people back to work," Landrieu said.

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., offered a similarly wary reaction.

"I guess this is movement in the right direction, but it's painfully slow," Vitter said. "It's clear that President Obama is going to preside over a continuing de facto moratorium for months or years, with new drilling held back to a fraction of previous levels. I'll keep fighting until real drilling happens and jobs are actually created.
Landrieu has always been a lukewarm democrat at best. However, if holding up the budget director nomination until after the November elections helps her to get reelected, I doubt that the administration will complain at all.:rolleyes: Current polls suggest that picking this fight has been a very smart move.

Franco
10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Landrieu has always been a lukewarm democrat at best. However, if holding up the budget director nomination until after the November elections helps her to get reelected, I doubt that the administration will complain at all.:rolleyes: Current polls suggest that picking this fight has been a very smart move.

Mary has always been popular in her district which is heavily black and has never been seriously challenged for her seat.

Now, she is getting support from Republicans in the state which she has never had before.

Our other Senator R-La David Vitter just secured his relection last week when he was verbally attacked by several pro-amnesty groups for refering to illegal aliens as illegal aliens.

YardleyLabs
10-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Mary has always been popular in her district which is heavily black and has never been seriously challenged for her seat.

Now, she is getting support from Republicans in the state which she has never had before.

Our other Senator R-La David Vitter just secured his relection last week when he was verbally attacked by several pro-amnesty groups for refering to illegal aliens as illegal aliens.
You are correct that she has never been seriously challenged. However, Rasmussen showed her in a statistical tie not that long ago.

menmon
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by subroc

Left field reference...

There is also a common thread. Both are Nobel.

There is no common thread other than the word Nobel

Franco
10-12-2010, 02:18 PM
You are correct that she has never been seriously challenged. However, Rasmussen showed her in a statistical tie not that long ago.

A lot of folks in La. were not too happy that she voted for Obamacare even with the huge bribe she was able to obtain for the state. I don't think voters are still holding that aginst her since Obamacare will be overturned in the next 1 to 3 years.