PDA

View Full Version : the first miner out!

david gibson
10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
what true heroic drama live for us all to see.

wow.

Nor_Cal_Angler
10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
you beat me to it....:D:D

An absolute wonderful day for Chile, for the U.S. team that did the engineering and drilling, and most importantly for those that are traped and their families....

hip-hip-hoora!!!!!!!!!

NCA

Hew
10-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Here's a live video feed of the rescue: http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/22309266 It's edited and there's numerous cameras/angles (i.e. it's not a single fixed camera).

They just pulled another guy out. How incredible.

I remember years ago when the Russian sub sank and there was a world-wide race to rescue the crew. I just knew they'd be resecued and in the end it didn't work out. The miner rescue, happily, had a far better ending.

starjack
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
From what i understand it was us big bad americans that helped out the most. that was with every aspect of the rescue . But im sure some out there will say we did abad job or it took to long.

dnf777
10-13-2010, 04:36 PM
From what i understand it was us big bad americans that helped out the most. that was with every aspect of the rescue . But im sure some out there will say we did abad job or it took to long.

Don't be so negative. The coverage I've seen is all smiling miners and happy families, thanking everyone involved for getting their men out safely. It makes me damn proud and happy to know we played a major role in their safe return. Seeing their families' expressions is all the thanks needed.

Hew
10-13-2010, 04:38 PM
The live feed is still on and even nicer/more interesting now. They've got a camera and microphone down in the cave where they're loading the guys into the tube thingy.

After all this is over Chile should recoup some of the costs by offering adventure tourists rides/tours down into the caves where the miners were trapped. I bet lots of folks would pay serious coin to do that.

dnf777
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
After all this is over Chile should recoup some of the costs by offering adventure tourists rides/tours down into the caves where the miners were trapped. I bet lots of folks would pay serious coin to do that.

Maybe after the empty the latreen. Gotta be pretty pungent down there by now.

dback
10-13-2010, 07:26 PM
It is a 24 hour feed on Univision and my wife has had it on most of the time. From what I've seen there are lots of crying children happy to see their fathers and lots of Chilean pride (they are celebrating 200 years as a nation). It's nice to see something like this work out....in a way, this is their Apollo 13. They have mentioned the US, our help and input on numerous occasions........we should get at least two or three days of good will out of it :-)

starjack
10-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Don't be so negative. The coverage I've seen is all smiling miners and happy families, thanking everyone involved for getting their men out safely. It makes me damn proud and happy to know we played a major role in their safe return. Seeing their families' expressions is all the thanks needed.

Not negative been flashing back from fox to msn and not one live msn oberman was more worryed about calling the right lunatics. Hannity is all over this rescue. Maddow is more worried about her exclusive not one word about the rescue. So do you really think that the left cares about this amazing rescue . I think not . YOU HAVE A NICE NIGHT REMEMBER NOV. SECOND IS COMING!!!!!!

dnf777
10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Not negative been flashing back from fox to msn and not one live msn oberman was more worryed about calling the right lunatics. Hannity is all over this rescue. Maddow is more worried about her exclusive not one word about the rescue. So do you really think that the left cares about this amazing rescue . I think not . YOU HAVE A NICE NIGHT REMEMBER NOV. SECOND IS COMING!!!!!!

I had trouble following you. This has nothing to do with left/right, other than those who would politicize anything under the sun. I gather you're not happy with news coverage about the miner rescue. I've been following CNN mostly for this, and that's where I learned about America's involvement. The reports I've seen are of Chilean national pride, rejoice, and gratitude. We can allow them that, even if we helped, can't we?

Being the best and brightest country in the world is only made BETTER when we can help those less fortunate that us, like in this case. We don't need to flaunt it. I can only imagine the joy that those miners' wives, children, and siblings are feeling right now. God bless them, and ALL who were involved in saving them.

Marvin S
10-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Didn't post earlier as I didn't want to jinx the operation. But yesterday I was driving home & happened to come behind a beatup Ford Explorer with a couple of the most unique Mining signs I had seen. Probably more so because this is lefty country.

The Explorer pulls over to look for elk, so I pull in behind him to see what's up with the stickers. Turns out the guy is a driller & powder monkey, 5th generation with, as he says the 6th sitting in the passenger seat. We shoot the breeze & I ask him what he thinks of the rescue. As a driller he was impressed that they could put a hole down, that large a diameter, in the time they did.

I spent 10 years underground doing everything from being a contract miner to mine management so know just a little about mining. Do you know how dark it is underground when your miner's lamp goes out? & how quiet, except for the timber talking as it is put through the processs of shoring the openings.

Fortunately for the miners, Chile has a culture & tradition of mining. I won't list the things that could have gone wrong with rookies at the controls! The company also must have kept good records, not all mines do, so they were able to locate the opening that held the miners with their initial attempt. The little cage that the men were hoisted in was very innovative, one has to believe that it was an available piece of equipment, why is beyond me. I have been on a cage that was without guides to look at a caving air shaft, You have to use a loading stick to stop the cage from spinning as the cable has a tendency to want to unwind when it is not guided.

I am very happy for the miners, on my trips through the Couer D'Alenes I stop at Exit 72 (Big Creek) to look at the memorial to the 92 miners killed in a mine fire. When I graduated from UW this company was 1 of 2 that offered me a job, & though it was more money my mining prof said I would learn more working for a bigger company. He was right & as I look at that memorial I realize just how much.

Hew
10-22-2010, 03:27 AM
Do you know how dark it is underground when your miner's lamp goes out? & how quiet, except for the timber talking as it is put through the processs of shoring the openings.
Boy, I know. There's a lot of limestone caves in middle of nowhere in North-Central Florida. While in school in Gainesville after a night of partying me and two friends decided it would be "like, totally cool" to continue the party and then crash in the cave. We entered the main cave and went way on back to one room...we had to belly crawl about 5 yds to get into it....a room about 8 x 8 x 4 high. We lit a small, but long candle and commenced to finish our beers. As I was getting sleepy (in retrospect, probably from CO poisoning :rolleyes::D) I safely tucked my flashlight under my leg. I wake up, who knows how long later to the darkest and quietest place in the universe. I reached for my flashlight...no can find. I called/groped for my friends...no can find. Now I'm starting to FA-REAK. In sheer panic I start crawling around the cave looking for my flashlight and/or my friends. I'm sure it was only about 30 seconds, but it was the longest 30 seconds of my life, and then I bumped into the flashlight I'd fallen asleep with. Crawled out of the caves and my buddies were asleep in the car. I couldn't get mad because I was just thrilled they hadn't driven home without me. Before that night I was never claustrophobic, but I am now. I got the willies just thinking/typing about the cave. I had to have an MRI a few years ago...was in there for about 30 seconds and was screaming to get out. The nurse said the doc could write a script for a sedative and I could come back. I asked her how many Vicadins would it take for her to be able to calmly sit inside her house while it burned down around her. I honestly think I'd rather die than go in an enclosed MRI again.