road kill
10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Any bow hunters out there?

What do you shoot.

Show some pics of your harvest!!

stan b

Hoosier
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I've been hunting with a crossbow (bad shoulder). Shot a huge bodied fork horn, probably a 3 1/2 year old deer with a really bad rack. Didn't figure I'd be getting out much more. Shot that deer on Saturday at noon, Sunday at 11:45 had a huge main frame 8 pt with split brows and 14 inch G2s hang out under my stand for 10 minutes. I just had to watch it, used my buck tag on that damned fork.

Franco
10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I've killed so many whitetails with gun and bow that I don't bother hunting them anymore. Plus, the older I get the more I don't want to waste my time sitting in a deer stand.

I use to shoot and XI with 2270 arrows and muzzy heads.

I quit hunting them before the digital age and all my photos are 35mm film.

I once shot a 139 B & C from my porch in Mississippi feeding on the new pond dam during the pre rut at 8:20pm. Ms and Bama grow some huge deer in the agri belt. As big as anywhere in the USA and much bigger than those small bodied deer they harvest in Texas!;-)

BonMallari
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I have gone traditional in the form of an authentic, hand made and signed Jim Brackenberry recurve...I used to shoot a Diamond Marquis with all the fancy bells and whistles, but I gave that bow to my friend in Idaho who can no longer pull a traditional bow due to a chronic shoulder problem...after seeing Clint take the elk last month with a longbow, it convinced me that its all about shot placement and not just speed...I like the challenge

NEW BOW

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/CIMG0558.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/CIMG0556.jpg

Old Bow set up

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/CIMG0119.jpg

dnf777
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
That recurve is a beaut!
I had an original Fred Bear recurve from back in the day....but donated it to the ex-wive's club a while ago.

Yeah, that one hurt.

starjack
10-28-2010, 06:25 PM
The wis. dnr took the life out of me with the sport i really enjoyed. With the earn abuck for all those years the wolves the mountain lions and the shotage of hunting land just feed up.

HoosierDoggy?
10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Back before I knew what Waterfowling was all about, I bowhunted all the time. Mostly local farmland here in S. Michigan and N. Indiana....still bowhunt today, but only harvest does - doing my part to keep the herd healthy and fill the freezer.
I currently shoot a Mission X5, rage broadheads and a bunch of G5 gear.......
It's getting so popular now, it's difficult to find a good spot without spending a fortune though.....

Wayne Beck
10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I had an 8 point come in on me on Saturday.. He was 10 yards at one point and I could have shot him all day.. My buddy cried that he hasnt shot a buck in 5 years blah blah blah and me being the nice guy that I am set him up in a good spot not too far from me.. Buck comes walking by me.. gets to him.. looks up 20 feet and sees my friend. I had to stand up slow and I drew back on him.. Just as I did that the neighbor comes walking down the property line and yells at the deer to run because she sees us.. I really wanted to shoot her but I didnt have a tag for a mid 60's bitch.. She probably wouldnt taste good anyway..

Was out this afternoon at my cousin's house.. Has a nice 3 acre suburban parcel.. Had a 10 point come in 25 yards away and couldnt get a shot

road kill
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I was in the woods pretty much all weekend.
Sunrise to sunset Sat.
The rut period is just beginning.

Saw a 6 with a doe just walking.
Saw 3 nice bucks together....walking.
I grunted, they looked but kept walking.
Saw 3 does together, never even looked over their shoulders.
(they were all too far for me, 100 yards or so, maybe more)

Next weekend it should be getting real busy.
Just a tad early yet.

I can tell you this, I am getting old.
I got cold to the core sat and it was in the lower 40's.
Pretty damp (63% humidity) NNW wind at 10-15 mph.

Going out a couple of evenings this week cause they won't be any evenings next week with DST.

RK

Hoosier
11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Minnesota has gun season starting next weekend, during the peak of the rut. Wonder why we don't produce the trophy bucks like our surrounding states.

road kill
11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Minnesota has gun season starting next weekend, during the peak of the rut. Wonder why we don't produce the trophy bucks like our surrounding states.

Just my observation but the next 2 weeks should be pretty good, especially in MN & WI.

RK

ducknwork
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I had an 8 point come in on me on Saturday.. He was 10 yards at one point and I could have shot him all day.. My buddy cried that he hasnt shot a buck in 5 years blah blah blah and me being the nice guy that I am set him up in a good spot not too far from me.. Buck comes walking by me.. gets to him.. looks up 20 feet and sees my friend. I had to stand up slow and I drew back on him.. Just as I did that the neighbor comes walking down the property line and yells at the deer to run because she sees us.. I really wanted to shoot her but I didnt have a tag for a mid 60's bitch.. She probably wouldnt taste good anyway..

Was out this afternoon at my cousin's house.. Has a nice 3 acre suburban parcel.. Had a 10 point come in 25 yards away and couldnt get a shot

That makes me absolutely furious. Don't know about where you live, but around here, hunter harassment has pretty serious penalties. If I were you, I'd have Mr. Greenjeans pay her a visit.

ducknwork
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM

HA! Just be glad you don't live in NC...Deer hunting is pointless here. I haven't even attempted it in 3 years.

Gun season runs from mid Oct thru Dec 31.(Plus 1 week of bow and 2 weeks of black powder prior to gun season)

Limit is 4 bucks/2 does w/ extra does tags available for purchase.

Running deer w/ dogs is legal on any land, public or private.:-x:-x:-x

Need I say more?:rolleyes:

If you don't pay BIG bucks for a hunt club that doesn't allow dogs or have your own private land far, far away from some of the more popular dog-run areas, you can forget shooting a deer after the first week of gun season. By then, the deer have all been chased multiple times and have gone nocturnal. When dogs are outlawed, I MAY consider deer hunting again.

Hoosier
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Just my observation but the next 2 weeks should be pretty good, especially in MN & WI.

RK

The bucks are making a lot of scrapes now, and I'm starting to see more in the middle of the day, so it's starting to heat up. Should be in full swing next weekend, just in time for the gun hunters to kill most of the young bucks. I should start hunting Wisconsin.

Hoosier
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
HA! Just be glad you don't live in NC...Deer hunting is pointless here. I haven't even attempted it in 3 years.

Gun season runs from mid Oct thru Dec 31.(Plus 1 week of bow and 2 weeks of black powder prior to gun season)

Limit is 4 bucks/2 does w/ extra does tags available for purchase.

Running deer w/ dogs is legal on any land, public or private.:-x:-x:-x

Need I say more?:rolleyes:

If you don't pay BIG bucks for a hunt club that doesn't allow dogs or have your own private land far, far away from some of the more popular dog-run areas, you can forget shooting a deer after the first week of gun season. By then, the deer have all been chased multiple times and have gone nocturnal. When dogs are outlawed, I MAY consider deer hunting again.

We have a guy in our deer camp up nouth that is from SC. He spends all of gun season in MN. Says the hunting is much better here.

ducknwork
11-01-2010, 03:24 PM
We have a guy in our deer camp up nouth that is from SC. He spends all of gun season in MN. Says the hunting is much better here.

I believe it. Anything would be better than deer hunting here.

Wayne Beck
11-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Saturday morning my buddy Ron and I went out. We get in about 5:45am.. DIdnt spook anything out of the bedding area so we were good.. Well.. Sun comes up and nothing.. Gets to be 8:30 and nothing.. We usually see something by this point regardless.. 9:00am is the magic time.. My buddy spots a doe headed my way and gets my attention..2 mins later I drilled her through the rib cage and she was down with in 50 yards. Ahh.. Deer number 2 for the year.. 5 mins later here comes 6 more doe.. These doe came down a trail that I have never seen them use in the 5 years I have been hunting this spot. Well they walked by me.. First one of this group walked directly under my treestand.. She walked 10 more yards and I drilled her quartering away.. and she dropped.. The other doe dont know what happened.. So I looked at my buddy and put up 3 fingers and he nodded his head.. So I drew back and smoked # 3.. Then the others took off.. Well I was out of broadheads all I had left was a field point in the quiver.. Well.. I look off to my left and here comes this beautiful red fox.. I nock the field point and the fox stopped to smell one of my dead deer and started my way.. He stopped and sat down perfectly like someone blew a whistle to wait for a command.. Let the arrow fly and hit him perfectly between the neck and shoulder and it ran 10 feet and dropped over.. So within 20 minutes I shot 3 doe and a fox.. It was a good morning. In my 23 years of hunting I have never had an opportunity like that.. All I have left is my buck tag.

And for those who may think ill of me for shooting that many deer. 2 of the deer I shot on Saturday went to the food bank. The other went to my freezer!

mjcarbonaro
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
elite z 28 best bow i ever had

M&K's Retrievers
11-01-2010, 10:57 PM
I've got a B&C 135 with Black Powder and a B&C 165 with a .300 Mag. Nice deer for southern Oklahoma. I thought I'd quit while I'm ahead plus I'm not as mad at them anymore.:D

menmon
11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I have a guy hunting my place and he is showing me a lot of nice pictures of good bucks for our area. Nothing real big but good healthy deer for the Houston area. He shot a doe with his bow a couple days ago and gave me a rear ham and a backstrap. Great trade for me since of love deer meat but don't have the patience to hunt them.

I'm a waterfowl hunter. I'll fight all the eliments to kill a duck or a goose and my resolve gets stronger and stonger the older I get, but can't do the deer hunting.

road kill
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a guy hunting my place and he is showing me a lot of nice pictures of good bucks for our area. Nothing real big but good healthy deer for the Houston area. He shot a doe with his bow a couple days ago and gave me a rear ham and a backstrap. Great trade for me since of love deer meat but don't have the patience to hunt them.

I'm a waterfowl hunter. I'll fight all the eliments to kill a duck or a goose and my resolve gets stronger and stonger the older I get, but can't do the deer hunting.

No better eating in the world than back straps!!

Cut them into 4' squares, marinate in honey, Lea & Perrins and some red wine.

Grill until brown, slap them babies on a fresh bun.

RK:D

aandw
11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
i have bow hunted off and on for a few years. killed a couple nothing big. my 9 year old son got a bow for Christmas and he is loving it. we have hunted twice and spooked deer both times. tough to hunt them from the ground with a 9 year old. i am trying to sell some waterfowl shells to buy us a couple of lock ons and him some warm clothing. he is a little gun shy so we may bow hunt all year.

ducknwork
11-02-2010, 03:14 PM
i have bow hunted off and on for a few years. killed a couple nothing big. my 9 year old son got a bow for Christmas and he is loving it. we have hunted twice and spooked deer both times. tough to hunt them from the ground with a 9 year old. i am trying to sell some waterfowl shells to buy us a couple of lock ons and him some warm clothing. he is a little gun shy so we may bow hunt all year.

What kind of shells are you getting rid of?

Wayne Beck
11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Gotta love back straps.. I have a buddy who loves deer meat but cant bring himself to shoot a deer. He hunts small game and some waterfowl but growing up they had a deer they raised because the mom became road kill..He nursed her from a very small fawn. So he thinks of Sandy the doe and she lived to 8 before she died..

Crihfield
11-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I shoot a Bowtech Admiral FLX 26.5" draw @ 60#'s......Have been waiting on a big buck but haven't gotten a shot yet. Probably will take me a doe this week.

achiro
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I've kind of lost exact count but I'm somewhere around 60-70 deer and 30 turkeys with archery gear. Been bowhunting since I was 13 years old. I love it. Kind of slacked off a few years doing the dog thing. Honestly, last summer (09)I just kind of realized I wasn't having a great time traveling to all the trials and dog stuff and decided that I needed to back away from it some and focus on what I really love to do(archery). I also realized how many of my bucket list items revolved around bowhunting and how many I could have knocked off of the list for the amount I was spending on dogs :confused: I am heading to KS this weekend for one of those bucket list items, a whitetail hunt in KS. Can't wait!

Right now I am shooting a Strother Infinity. Best compound I've ever owned.

BTW, why is this thread in the poli forum?

road kill
11-03-2010, 07:44 AM
I've kind of lost exact count but I'm somewhere around 60-70 deer and 30 turkeys with archery gear. Been bowhunting since I was 13 years old. I love it. Kind of slacked off a few years doing the dog thing. Honestly, last summer (09)I just kind of realized I wasn't having a great time traveling to all the trials and dog stuff and decided that I needed to back away from it some and focus on what I really love to do(archery). I also realized how many of my bucket list items revolved around bowhunting and how many I could have knocked off of the list for the amount I was spending on dogs :confused: I am heading to KS this weekend for one of those bucket list items, a whitetail hunt in KS. Can't wait!

Right now I am shooting a Strother Infinity. Best compound I've ever owned.

BTW, why is this thread in the poli forum?

Achiro,
I have read many of your posts over the last couple years.
They are always very good.

A bunch of us post here on a regular basis.
We just kinda hang out here.
Most of us are not FT's.
We do run hunt (I run NAHRA, AKC & HRC) and we HUNT a lot.
We are into dogs and politics.

A few of us have ventured onto the RTF board and didn't care for the way things went.
Ask an honest question there and some spent a great deal of energy making fun of how stupid you are for not knowing all that they know.
As fired up as we can get here we have more respect for each other than some display on the main board.

We have our own FFL and talk about tests, politics, life etc.

Welcome and good luck with the list.

stan b

road kill
11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
OK, the rut is starting to get going pretty well.
Cooling down to low 40's upper 30's.
8 mph favorable wind.

Got a fresh bottle of "Mrs. Doe Pees Doe in Estrus."
Good smellin' stuff right there!!:D
(I just put a little behind each ear and a tad on my wrists!!)

Sorry Elvis, I'm back in my tree this Fri, Sat & Sun.

How bout youse guys?

BTW--I shoot a Bear "Lights Out."
Weighs 3.7#'s.
Maxim carbon /graphite shaft arrows.
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/lightsout-600.jpg

Fred Bear is the man!
That's why I got the Bear bow, I am pretty decent with it up to 35 yards.

Good luck everyone with your outdoor activities!!!!

stan b & Elvis

road kill
11-08-2010, 06:56 AM
10 yards......10 freakin yards!!!!

I was cold, had gloves on,got excited, missfired because of glove over finger.
Have a slip off finger glove by "Scent Lock" but I forgot.

10 FREAKIN YARDS!!!!:oops:

RK

ducknwork
11-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I was cold, had gloves on,got excited, missfired because of glove over finger.
Have a slip off finger glove by "Scent Lock" but I forgot.

Wardrobe malfunction?

road kill
11-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Wardrobe malfunction?
Early release.
Cause of the glove over the finger, mental lapse!!
I use a "Tru-Fire" release, but I never practice with a glove, I pressed to hard too early.

"I'll be back.....":cool:
(thick hungarian accent!!)

RK

M&K's Retrievers
11-08-2010, 08:33 AM
One of the many reasons I'm not so mad at them anymore.

Wayne Beck
11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Early release.

RK

Sounds like a personal issue :rolleyes:

road kill
11-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Sounds like a personal issue :rolleyes:
Yeah, it was pretty personal!!!!!!

However, about 30 minutes later a doe came in.
She did not like my set up at all.
She was stompin' and lookin' around for me.
Thennn....."uuuurrrrpppp"......"uuuuuuurrrrrrrpppppp"....UUUUUUURRRRRRRRPPPPPP!!!!!!!"

And the Mak Daddy shows up!
He followed that doe around me for about 5+ minutes, alway just out of my range.
When he got within 30 yards there was crap in the way.
When I had a good look he was 40 to 50 yards away.

DAYAM!!:shock:

Now I have a slightly differnt mission!!

God works in mysterious ways, he didn't want me to shoot that 8, he wanted me to get this big ol' 10!!

I will obey!!!:D

BTW--to all you that never choked....God bless....I choked!!

RK

Wayne Beck
11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I was out this weekend.. but heres the back story. I work alot and I dont ask for much.. I ask for my 7 or 8 saturdays between mid september and mid november for archery. Plus I am very active in my masonic lodge which usually kills 1-2 days.. My wife works part time on weekends being the skating director at a local ice rink.. i dont begrudge her that at all. She doesnt need to work but does it to get away from the kids for a few hours. Due to work emergencies and other crap my archery season has been shot to hell. I was getting ready friday night to hunt saturday morning and she said oh by the way I need you home by 830 because I have to do this and that before work and then i have a baby shower at 12:30.. I got a little irritated and asked what time shed be home.. she said by 3.. I asked her what about my hunting. Her reply was well you got 4 deer already isnt that enough? if looks could kill shed be dead..

She got home at 3.. Wasnt enough time to get my archery stuff and get into the woods so i took the shotgun for a walk at the local game lands.. Took my 6 month old BLM to get him out and we didnt find a bird but my buddy nailed a squirrel and I missed a rabbit.. I cant hit those damn things on the move.

starjack
11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it was pretty personal!!!!!!

However, about 30 minutes later a doe came in.
She did not like my set up at all.
She was stompin' and lookin' around for me.
Thennn....."uuuurrrrpppp"......"uuuuuuurrrrrrrpppppp"....UUUUUUURRRRRRRRPPPPPP!!!!!!!"

And the Mak Daddy shows up!
He followed that doe around me for about 5+ minutes, alway just out of my range.
When he got within 30 yards there was crap in the way.
When I had a good look he was 40 to 50 yards away.

DAYAM!!:shock:

Now I have a slightly differnt mission!!

God works in mysterious ways, he didn't want me to shoot that 8, he wanted me to get this big ol' 10!!

I will obey!!!:D

BTW--to all you that never choked....God bless....I choked!!

RK

Choked many of times. But for every choke helps in the end. Put A few on the wall because of those chokes. Good luck and remember the chokes.

road kill
11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Choked many of times. But for every choke helps in the end. Put A few on the wall because of those chokes. Good luck and remember the chokes.

I have arrived at the conclusion that there only 2 weeks worth bow hunting.
The words up by you are alive right now!!!!
I will get more shots this week end!!;-)

I love it!!

stan b

starjack
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Put one of them on the wall the first friday after the opener any time is a good time. But now is prime time. I agree this is always a great time of the year. Also im from the southern door area around brussels.

road kill
11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Went to the range and shot 30 arrows with my gloves on today.

Big difference!!

I'm ready for the Mac Daddy now!!!:-x

RK

Hoosier
11-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Any luck RK?

starjack
11-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Hoosier beat me to it. WELL???

road kill
11-15-2010, 06:43 AM
I saw several bucks.

A truly nice trophy 8 (very lage body) came in Sat, layed down and stayed there @ 38 yards.
He would not move for about an hour.

Another 8, wider but not as nice, came thru, again too far away.

A fork walked right in front of the Trophy 8, looked at each other, just kept moving.
Another fork walked right between the 2 of them, nothing happened.
I am "bleating" & "grunting," no response.
I also had "estrus" out, nothing.

3 does behind me, 2 does on a ridge eating acorns, that's 8 deer within 100 yards of me, nothing going on.

I just couldn't get an honest shot.

Either all the does are bred and the rut is over, or...........

Sunday it was pretty windy (20-25mph).
I saw a 6, but he was 61.3 yards away, upwind.

Next weekend with the rifle.

Joe Dutro
11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I began bowhunting here in Ohio at age 11. I havested a 8 point that year and have been hooked since. I've taken I don't know how many deer with my bow in the last 27 years, 1 muley in CO, and 6 elk in CO. All with my bow. Actually I got my first deer with a gun last year.
I shoot a older (mid 90's model) McPherson bow. ACC arrows. I shoot with fingers, no release. I actually use to shoot for McPherson while back in my IBO days (before the kids came along).
This year I've taken 2 does for the freezer but no shooter bucks yet. The rut is going full bore right now. Actually their in lock down this week. Next week will be better.
Joe

BonMallari
11-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I saw several bucks.

A truly nice trophy 8 (very lage body) came in Sat, layed down and stayed there @ 38 yards.

A fork walked right in front of the Trophy 8, looked at each other, just kept moving.

3 does behind me, 2 does on a ridge eating acorns, that's 8 deer within 100 yards of me, nothing going on.

you have my utmost respect Stan, because you just showed why bow hunters are the most ethical hunters out there....you showed constraint and didnt take a risky shot that may have resulted in a less than clean one shot kill...thanks for showing respect for the animals that we hunt, and not settling for just dead meat

guess what the rut is never over...deer or human :D:D

starjack
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I saw several bucks.

You did well on that many deer. Was not the best weather. Going to give it a try for the opener. Wasent going in protest of what the dnr did to the herd but its in the blood. Can only hunt threw turkey day. Then off to iowa for my 20th year to chase the elusive ROOSTER. GOOD LUCK ON THE OPENER!! Jake

road kill
11-18-2010, 08:52 AM
OK

I need some advice here.

Where I hunt wind is a huge factor because if it's out of the SE (which it is supposed to be Fri) the deer hunker down because of the noise of the waves in the bay (Green Bay).

So Sat it's supposed to be out of N/NE/NW.

That will allow the hunkered down deer to move out from the pines, where the hide when the waves are noisy.

I have a nice spot in a draw between 2 nice oak (acorn) ridges where I know they wander thru and feed.

There are tracks every where.

So, if the wind changes, they will most likely come thru that draw and feed.

BUT........the N/NE/NW winds will blow into a cedar swamp om another property I hunt.

There is a big old timer in there I have seen bow hunting 6 or 7 times over the last 3 seasons.

Do I hang some scent and try to lure him out?

RK

starjack
11-18-2010, 03:21 PM
imho. Would see what happens on sat. The rut is starting to wind down and the bucks are going to be on the move looking for any does they can find. So whith that many track im thinking they will be checking it often. Mabey give it till noon or so . Then put out the scent. Also with the rut winding down theY got put the feed bag on and what better for them than acorns. GOOD LUCK BE SAFE HAVE FUN. JAKE

road kill
11-19-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.huntstats.com/besttimes.php

Whatchya think??

RK

starjack
11-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I printed off for sat and sun.Go to keep track of my sighting just to see.

Joe Dutro
11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
OK--- I know this isn't bowhunting related BUT------

Here in Ohio this weekend it was the youth gun season. So I took my 13 year old daughter Abby out. And at 8:15 am this little fellow came by at 23 yards. It was good quick kill and as a dad I was pumped to say the least. This was Abby's second deer. The first was take last year on the same weekend while sitting beside the tree.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/DesireDogs/Abby2010.jpg

To make it a even better day my Dad took my neice out hunting and she got a nice little 5 point. Here is Karissa and Abby with their deer.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/DesireDogs/KarissaandAbby2010.jpg

Now if the luck would come my way.
Joe

starjack
11-22-2010, 05:28 AM
RK.(STAN) how did go on opening weekend.

road kill
11-22-2010, 06:41 AM
RK.(STAN) how did go on opening weekend.

1.5 year old small 8 Sun. morning.

You???

RK

B-Remi
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
No Pics Road Kill???? Why?

BonMallari
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM

You???

RK

a year and a half old deer already sporting an 8pt rack ?...I know you can count but are you sure about his age :p

heck if he is a northern whitetail he is still bigger than anything I have ever seen in TX

starjack
11-22-2010, 04:28 PM

You???

RK

The goose egg. Did see two bucks but no shot.

starjack
11-22-2010, 08:45 PM
a year and a half old deer already sporting an 8pt rack ?...I know you can count but are you sure about his age :p

heck if he is a northern whitetail he is still bigger than anything I have ever seen in TX

Buddy of mine shot a 1.5 yr 8 pt today weighed it 134 pounds with the hide on.

M&K's Retrievers
11-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Buddy of mine shot a 1.5 yr 8 pt today weighed it 134 pounds with the hide on.

Wonder what they would be if they grew up?

Take a doe regards,

starjack
11-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Yes they would be alot nicer but around here you may let them walk and goes on the next guy property and he shoots. You say take a doe. Our great wis dnr made us shoot a doe before we could shoot a buck. They even have spcial doe hunts. Now are herd is depleted so ill leave the does alone. THANKYOU VERY MUCH REGARDS.

road kill
11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Wonder what they would be if they grew up?

Take a doe regards,
You don't understand the politics of what has happened in WI over the last 10 seasons.
The DNR has urged hunters to KILL does.
They have and the herd is decimated.
We don't shoot does right now until the herd builds back up.
Our older bucks (about 6 or 7 we saw bow hunting) are not fully mature yet, so we let them go and shot yearling bucks.

Next year we will have several 3.5 to 4.5 year old trophys.
Plus the does we didn't shoot will give us babies (some bucks), something a yearling buck could not do.:rolleyes:

See how that works?

So in a way we started QDM this season.

Thanks for the advice though!!

RK

M&K's Retrievers
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I was afraid I would ruffle some feathers which was not my intent. Down here we are up to our arses in does so filling the freezer is not a problem and yes you do run the risk of passing on an immature buck only to have your neighbor take him. I guess that's a problem everywhere where you can't get your neighbors to follow the same management program that you do.

Wish we could afford high fences regards,

starjack
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
I was afraid I would ruffle some feathers which was not my intent. Down here we are up to our arses in does so filling the freezer is not a problem and yes you do run the risk of passing on an immature buck only to have your neighbor take him. I guess that's a problem everywhere where you can't get your neighbors to follow the same management program that you do.

Wish we could afford high fences regards,

My feathers are ruffled by the Wis dnr not you. Not only the politcs like stan said. They introduced wolves. So now they have a killing machine out there 24-7-365. They says there bringing them back because they were once native to wis. Well i dont care what the say its all BS anyway. HAVE A GOOD ONE

M&K's Retrievers
11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
My feathers are ruffled by the Wis dnr not you. Not only the politcs like stan said. They introduced wolves. So now they have a killing machine out there 24-7-365. They says there bringing them back because they were once native to wis. Well i dont care what the say its all BS anyway. HAVE A GOOD ONE

Wildlife Departments have some odd ideas it seems. Up until the last 2 years, Oklahoma encouraged you to take a doe. The only problem was you could only harvest them on "Doe Days" which as I recall was 4 days out of the season. What difference does it make what day you kill them if the established limits are maintained. Now, every day is a doe day.

Go figure, regards

starjack
11-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Wildlife Departments have some odd ideas it seems. Up until the last 2 years, Oklahoma encouraged you to take a doe. The only problem was you could only harvest them on "Doe Days" which as I recall was 4 days out of the season. What difference does it make what day you kill them if the established limits are maintained. Now, every day is a doe day.

Go figure, regards

The problem with all of them is they do not listen to the men/women out in the field. It is all about the money. The wi dnr is taking a revnure away that supported them for years. Very good buisness practice on the peoples deer that they keep preaching. What a joke!!!!:confused:

M&K's Retrievers
11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
It's also amazing that both black powder and rifle season in OK (both one week seasons) are almost always during the full moon.