PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Doc Bob Kennel?

savage25xtreme
10-29-2010, 11:08 AM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/pet-containment/pet-kennels-pens/doc-bob-reg-professional-kennel-5-ft-w-x-10-ft-l-x-6-ft-h-3606033?ddkey=http%3AClickInfo&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=15001&mpe_id=12075&cm_cr=No%20Campaign-_-Web%20Activity-_-Cross%20Sell%20Up%20Sell-_-ProductDetail_Espot1-_-Doc%20Bob®%20Professional%20Kennel,%205%20ft.%20W% 20x%2010%20ft.%20L%20x%206%20ft.%20H#BVRRWidgetID

8ga welded wire and galvanized for 300 dollars? Anyone tried them? I cant justify the high end stainless ones right now, will this get me by for a few years?

Thinking 12" x 12" pavers for the floor.

Dog will be in it while I am at work 6am to 4pm, mostly to get him use to colder weather.

msdaisey
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
They look identical to the AKC ones Tractor Supply had a few years ago. I have had four for four years and they still look brand new.

KNorman
10-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Make sure the bottom mesh is tacked to the tube. I have a good friend who had some where the mesh was drilled and hooked into holes on the bottom tube. When the males marked, the urine ran into the holes and quickly rusted out the bottom tubes.

Luckily, he saw what was happening, and cleaned them out, fixed them and sold them off to a couple of folks with females. I think those kennels were Option Plus Ultra Series (?). junk

Just something to consider.

savage25xtreme
10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I have been researching kennels all morning (ya work is a little slow this morning) and most people are recommending 9ga chainlink over the welded wire. I may just go to home depot and see what it would cost for me to make my own kennel. Anyone else done that?

savage25xtreme
10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
They look identical to the AKC ones Tractor Supply had a few years ago. I have had four for four years and they still look brand new.

hmmm tough to beat that recommendation, and they are only 300 bucks.

If I could get 4 or 5 years out of them I would be happy.

Byron Musick
10-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes I have the AKC one's msdaisy mentions, I have had zero issue's with them and they have been great!!

KNorman
10-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I would concur on the chainlink over w/w mesh.

Another option is to check with a local university to see if their vet program has surplus for sale. We get some really nice pens and crates from LSU

savage25xtreme
10-29-2010, 03:25 PM
thanks for all the great feedback. I got some work ahead of me now.

Golden Boy
10-31-2010, 05:11 AM

These are the AKC kennels that TSC sells and they are great. I've had mine for around six years and the kennels still look new. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a nice reasonable priced kennel.

WRL
10-31-2010, 11:25 AM
I have 14 of the Lucky Dog kennels.

They have held up very well. A bit of rust where some of the boys are habitual urinaters on the same spots but that is going to happen no matter what the finish.

I will NEVER go back to chain link. WAY WAY to much maintenance and "repair work".....

If you have one or two dogs that are not destructive you get spoiled with "lesser" kennels but you get one or two that have nothing better to do then shred your chain link kennels and you will be going welded wire all the way after that.

I also have 20 of the Prefiert kennels and frankly the powder coated panels are not worth the extra money.

WRL

TIM DOANE
10-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I have 12 stalls all the same product you show. Some from tsc some from Menards. They have held up well. They wont compare to the high dollar stuff but are a nice product for the money.

savage25xtreme
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
OK I went to TSC Saturday, they have the AKC ones mentioned which appear to be zinc plated, very shiney. the Doc Bob ones are galvanized, flat silver in color. They are the same price. The mesh in the AKC is 2" x 3". The mesh on the Doc Bob is 1.5" x 3" and appears to be slightly thicker wire.

I would think the galvanized would hold up well, so go with Doc Bob?

I also have a fellow RTF'er that has offered to sell me a chainlink setup for dirt cheap, like wouldn't even cover his fuel costs to come up here, cheap.

I am going to get this chainlink setup and one of the ones from TSC.... I see another pup in my future. :p

Thanks for all the great replies.