PDA

View Full Version : Hrc Upland Tests

WALDMAN79
10-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Interested In Running My Dog In The Hrc Upland Test For His Uh Title But All I Know About Them Is What Is In The Rule Book And There Isn't A Local Club For Me To Go Watch One. Can Anybody Give Me Some Insight Of What I Need To Work On Prior To Driving Along Way To Enter One Blindly?

captainjack
11-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Your dog needs to be able to hunt available cover within gun range (without having to be handled for every change of direction). Be steady to wing and shot. Honor another retriever. retrieve a downed bird and deliver to hand.

They do not have to sit on a flush. They should be able to flush natural and basket birds.

Snicklefritz
11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Got a couple of Upland passes under our belt, and I"ve been a gunner for a few more. So, here's my take...

You need 'steady'. Your dog will have to deal with a 'walk-up', an 'honor', and be steady to wing and shot. Also, the 'honor' may be a 'walking honor', not sitting on a bucket. I've seen more dogs go down in flames because they break, than because they didn't exhibit great quartering.

You need to be able to get your dog's attention to change directions without shouting, standing on the whistle till it's pea takes a ...

And, the handler, needs to able to do all that without committing a gun safety violation. Multi-tasking on your part.

But, Upland is a blast...pure and simple. I'd suggest being there to observe. Most judges will let you tag along while they run the test dog.

My 2 cents...

Snick

Diane Brunelle
11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Snick...You nailed that one! Our Upland titled dog broke on a walk-up this year! The excitement is just phenominal for the dogs so control is the essence of passing this test.

Your dog MUST BE steady to shot and to flush, and must be able to do a walk up honor ( the killer for most dogs)s. Assuming your dog quarters well, that should get you through but I do strongly suggest you go watch one before you enter.
Diane