PDA

View Full Version : wow.Just wow

badbullgator
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I just voted and while waiting in line I read the list of acceptable forms of id.
Retirement home and school id are acceptable....ok maybe the old folks can't get out so I can see the retirement center if kind of and maybe school id, but I was floored to see that an id from a homeowner association is valid is to vote in Florida!
Seems all you need is something, anything with a picture on it.
What really pissed me off was that the lady checking me in had to ask if my state issued concealed weapons permit was valid id. I gave it to them just to see what they would do.
What a joke

Cody Covey
11-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Come on we wouldn't want to disenfranchise voters by making them prove they are who they say they are! :rolleyes:

BonMallari
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
is it legal in Fla. to carry concealed into a voting precinct ?

subroc
11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Let's see, pretty much the only requirement to vote is citizenship. We wouldn't want to verify that now would we?

YardleyLabs
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Well, I voted this morning, making it 40 years since I cast my first vote. While I may have missed a couple of elections, I have not missed more than that. This morning, as in all prior elections, I provided no identification at all.

dnf777
11-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Voting was very special here in our precinct. Our precinct workers are approaching a century, and have been casting votes longer than any three of us have been alive!

Two years ago, I began bringing them a bouquet of flowers to show my appreciation for their years of service. Except for the first year, I've never shown ID here, either. I bet those ol' gals could spot a phone before they got in the door!

M&K's Retrievers
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Voting was very special here in our precinct. Our precinct workers are approaching a century, and have been casting votes longer than any three of us have been alive!

Two years ago, I began bringing them a bouquet of flowers to show my appreciation for their years of service. Except for the first year, I've never shown ID here, either. I bet those ol' gals could spot a phone before they got in the door!

Can't have a cell phone on ya' when you vote in PA?:rolleyes:

Buzz
11-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm curious, when and were the first ID requirements popped up? I voted for 30 years in 3 states before ever being asked for one.

Terri
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
No ID required in California, unless you say you are a first time voter. My youngest daughter (18 first time voting) was not asked for ID, but she walked into the polling place like she owned it. She had her sample ballot in hand and knew the right table to pick up a ballot for people who live on our street. My son was at the polls bright and early. The oldest brought her absentee ballot it and she did not even get a "I voted" sticker. She was not a happy camper. Only my husband still needs to vote, polls do not open early enough for him to vote before work. We had a two page ballot, but no lines at 2 p.m.

Terri

BrianW
11-02-2010, 08:34 PM
is it legal in Fla. to carry concealed into a voting precinct ?

According to http://www.floridadefenseacademy.com/florida-concealed-weapon-or-firearm-statute.html

12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature ...

But the point is Why wouldn't the precinct worker be understanding of whether the license itself is a valid form of ID or not?

I just might try this one at our polling place when I go tonight! ;) Photo ID is mandatory in ID starting this year.

Juli H
11-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Alaska results will be last...so I guess you all will have to wait til tomorrow to find out those results...

I voted actually for two different things today...
First I voted for in the 'gov't election'...then I voted in a criminal court case as a juror. LOL ...

double duty, regards. :)

Juli

paul young
11-03-2010, 06:18 AM
in Ct., no tickee no washee. they need to see a valid Ct. drivers license with the address matching the address you registered under.-Paul

badbullgator
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
According to http://www.floridadefenseacademy.com/florida-concealed-weapon-or-firearm-statute.html

12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature ...

But the point is Why wouldn't the precinct worker be understanding of whether the license itself is a valid form of ID or not?

I just might try this one at our polling place when I go tonight! ;) Photo ID is mandatory in ID starting this year.

Bon
I did not say I had my gun on me, just my CWP. My heat was safe and sound in my truck
Florida does require photo ID. Now think about this, we have tens of thousands of "snow birds" who are mostly retired folks who live here from December to right after Easter. Might not be too difficult to use thier vote by having a HOA ID card with your picture and their name on it, but I am sure voter fraud is not an issue in ore state and really sure it is not a problem in those that do not requier ID at all.....,..

road kill
11-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Well, I voted this morning, making it 40 years since I cast my first vote. While I may have missed a couple of elections, I have not missed more than that. This morning, as in all prior elections, I provided no identification at all.

Good for you!!!
You just walk in and vote??
BULLSHAT!!!

Your poll workers didn't know about this??:rolleyes:

http://www.vote411.org/bystateresult.php?state=PA

RK

YardleyLabs
11-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Good for you!!!
You just walk in and vote??
BULLSHAT!!!

Your poll workers didn't know about this??:rolleyes:

http://www.vote411.org/bystateresult.php?state=PA

RK
I'm sure they do. Yet, strangely enough, not one person was asked to provide identification while i was there yesterday.

ducknwork
11-03-2010, 07:59 AM
No ID here either. I walked in, gave them my name and address and voted. Didn't seem very secure to me. If I had given them my neighbor's name and address, I could have voted for him too...

Ken Bora
11-03-2010, 08:00 AM

same in Vermont, 28 years no I.D. ever asked for
only folk asked are First Time Voters,
just like PA. acording to RK's link.
I wish they would ask but they do not:(

BrianW
11-03-2010, 08:45 AM
No problems out here last night & everyone was required to show proof while we were in the polls. I can see how it could have been as a CWP is not listed under "Acceptable forms of photo ID include any one of the following:"
I would think anyone with 1/2 a lick of common sense would see "State CWP" & matching name, pic to the registration roll & not have a problem.

The HOA though? Here, the person I asked said they'd make you sign the "Identity Affidavit"to go along with it (under penalty of perjury).

Buzz
11-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I just voted and while waiting in line I read the list of acceptable forms of id.
Retirement home and school id are acceptable....ok maybe the old folks can't get out so I can see the retirement center if kind of and maybe school id, but I was floored to see that an id from a homeowner association is valid is to vote in Florida!
Seems all you need is something, anything with a picture on it.
What really pissed me off was that the lady checking me in had to ask if my state issued concealed weapons permit was valid id. I gave it to them just to see what they would do.
What a joke

Let me get this straight. You went to the polling place and purposely gave them a form of ID that you thought they might question, and you got pee'd off because you got what you asked for?

M&K's Retrievers
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm sure they do. Yet, strangely enough, not one person was asked to provide identification while i was there yesterday.

Must be why PA went Republican. I'd ask for an investigation. Looks to me like the NAACP fell down on the job as well. :rolleyes:

gman0046
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
The good news is Florida went RED, RED, RED yesterday. It's great to see what this country thinks of Obongolo. The cats out of the bag on his failed presidency.

Gerry Clinchy
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by YardleyLabs http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=699351#post699351)

At our polling place we don't show ID either ... but we sign a book where our name is already pre-printed. They can match the signature to previous ones in previous elections if there was some question on who actually voted yesterday.

When you walk in, you fill out a card with your name. Then they match that to the registered voters in their pre-printed book. Then you sign the book. Would be much different in a large city, for sure.

As Dave mentions, too, some of the workers at the sign-in know a lot of the people in the district after many years working at the polls.

YardleyLabs
11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
At our polling place we don't show ID either ... but we sign a book where our name is already pre-printed. They can match the signature to previous ones in previous elections if there was some question on who actually voted yesterday.

When you walk in, you fill out a card with your name. Then they match that to the registered voters in their pre-printed book. Then you sign the book. Would be much different in a large city, for sure.

As Dave mentions, too, some of the workers at the sign-in know a lot of the people in the district after many years working at the polls.
Definitely true. I will normally know 2-3 of the poll workers by name, and one is a next door neighbor. However, that was not always the case. The signature match helps. We do not fill in a card, but simply state our names, get checked off on their list, and receive a number. We then sign the register which contains a digitized copy of our signatures that the poll worker is supposed to cover up (sometimes do). I actually believe the system is pretty good. However, every year they continue to confuse the entries for me and my son (same name, Jr.). I keep pointing out that he left home eight years ago and lives in NYC. I am assured he will be purged one day. My daughter was purged after about six years after she moved away.

Juli H
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I did not need to show ID...but I did...small district, small town..everyone knows everyone...and besides I work at the store so everyone really does know me....or at least recognizes me. LOL

Juli

badbullgator
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Let me get this straight. You went to the polling place and purposely gave them a form of ID that you thought they might question, and you got pee'd off because you got what you asked for?

Yeah Buzz, in fact I did give them ID that was not on their list. I did not get pissed off that they had to ask, but I did get pissed that they had to ask…. I guess you miss the point. A neighborhood group can print a freaking ID card and it is on the list of acceptable ID. There is NOTHING to assure that this form of ID is legitimate. I could buy a laminate machine and print ID’s for people in my neighborhood and that would be perfectly acceptable, and yet a state issued CCW permit, something that you must be fingerprinted, background checked and is ISSUED BY THE STATE is not on the list
I get your point, after all that is how you guys like to win elections, by allowing folks to vote early and often and in many different names.
Think about this Buzz…you mentioned all the snowbirds down here. Most of them are not here in November and either send in a absentee ballot or do not vote. You dems sure can add to your totals by printing ID’s for people in the retirement communities and putting anyone’s picture you like on it. Hummm…I could vote as Mr. Jones in one place and Mr. Davis in another…. How about other populations that seldom vote? I could even be Jamal Williams in another place voting with my wife Shequicia……

badbullgator
11-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Definitely true. I will normally know 2-3 of the poll workers by name, and one is a next door neighbor. However, that was not always the case. The signature match helps. We do not fill in a card, but simply state our names, get checked off on their list, and receive a number. We then sign the register which contains a digitized copy of our signatures that the poll worker is supposed to cover up (sometimes do). I actually believe the system is pretty good. However, every year they continue to confuse the entries for me and my son (same name, Jr.). I keep pointing out that he left home eight years ago and lives in NYC. I am assured he will be purged one day. My daughter was purged after about six years after she moved away.

So really nothing stopping me form walking in as Jeff Goodwin Jr and siging his name and voting......

ducknwork
11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
So really nothing stopping me form walking in as Jeff Goodwin Jr and siging his name and voting......

Just your pride...that would be tough to admit, even in jest.;)

:D:DJust kidding, Yardley...