PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Folks

WRL
11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Chris Christie seems like a pretty interesting fellow to me.

He seems like a real "tell it like it is" kind of guy. May not be what you WANT to hear, but what you NEED to hear.

What's your take?

Right now, it appears he is very popular and we might see him running for Pres in 2012.

WRL

Cody Covey
11-04-2010, 02:44 PM
His stance on gun rights would get a big no vote from me if on the national level.

YardleyLabs
11-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Chris Christie seems like a pretty interesting fellow to me.

He seems like a real "tell it like it is" kind of guy. May not be what you WANT to hear, but what you NEED to hear.

What's your take?

Right now, it appears he is very popular and we might see him running for Pres in 2012.

WRL
I'd say the jury is still out. The positive is that he makes no bones about the severity of the state's financial problems which began with Christie Whitman and have only gotten worse since (although Corzine made some inroads). For all intents and purposes, the state is bankrupt.

Under Whitman massive tax cuts were combined with massive spending increases with the difference financed by raiding state trust funds, pensions, and by running up huge amounts of debt. The gap between spending and revenues is now a huge percentage of the total budget and all the trust funds and pensions have been raided until the cupboards are bare.

Christie has promised to solve the problem without tax increases. That will not be possible. Not only is the state facing multi-billion dollar gaps in the current budget, plundering pf pension funds and trust funds have left multi-billion dollar gaps that will need to be repaid to avoid defaulting on legal obligations.

cotts135
11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Some day where going to learn that tax cuts are not going to solve the deficit problem. Just sunday on 60 minutes David Stockman who was none other than Ronald Reagans budget director even has come out against extending the tax cuts. Most economists agree with his position so at least for me I will listen to them instead of a politician trying to get re-elected. This is a two headed monster though and spending has to come down also.

Cody Covey
11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Some day where going to learn that tax cuts are not going to solve the deficit problem. Just sunday on 60 minutes David Stockman who was none other than Ronald Reagans budget director even has come out against extending the tax cuts. Most economists agree with his position so at least for me I will listen to them instead of a politician trying to get re-elected. This is a two headed monster though and spending has to come down also.
I think at this point in time you're right unfortunately. If we would've stuck you sound fiscal policy in the first place though it would not be needed and would be a detriment. I think that with the mass amount of spending that has gone on (That terminology really doesn't cover the depth of the issue even) we will NEVER get back to being a nation no longer in debt without both massive spending cuts and some tax increases. I differ with liberals in that i don't believe this burden should be the rich peoples burden more than my own (at least not percentage wise) they pay their fair share, the liberals favorite tag line, by paying MORE than us lower class folks do (again not percentage just by virtue of having more). Will I notice another 1% taken out of my paycheck? Probably not but to a business 1% could mean not hiring, not just 1, but a few employees.

Gerry Clinchy
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
The problem with the politicians now is that they do NOT cut spending. If they cut in one place, they add something new somewhere else.

Taking 5% more from people who earn $50K/year is going to hurt. I don't know who or how they compute the cost of living index, but I don't see anything around me that has decreased in price over the past few years ... from electricity to milk, prices have gone up. That 5% from the $50K will probably hurt more than the 4% from $500K on the level of basic essentials of food and energy.

I am reluctant to let the politicians have more money until they PROVE they are capable of cutting expenses ... and willing to do so. When they balance the budget, then they can have more money to reduce the deficit that exists & the money must specifically be dedicated to the deficit reduction and conditional upon continuing to balanced budgets.

luvmylabs23139
11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Local state and federal governments all need to cut expenses and not raise taxes. They can whine and cry all they want but that is what the average person has to do. Our income is not going up so we find ways to cut our spending. They can do the same darn thing. Every time anyone of them raises a tax, I must again reduce my other expenses to cover the increase in taxes whether it is property tax, sales tax, gas tax, car reg etc. That means I have less income to spend period.

Cody Covey
11-04-2010, 10:12 PM
unfortunately at the point we are in debt spending cuts aren't going to get it done~

Marvin S
11-04-2010, 11:32 PM
unfortunately at the point we are in debt spending cuts aren't going to get it done~

Please provide me with the info that allowed you to make that statement, I'll show you how :eek:.