PDA

View Full Version : Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance

Gerry Clinchy
11-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Red Skelton Pledge of Allegiance (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=162262986416&ref=nf)
After I watched this . . . all I could do was sit here with my mouth open. Just think, he said this forty (40) years ago (1969), and no one had a clue where we would be at today. What a wonderful and worthwhile clip to watch and share. Length:4:19

Worth watching.

Sundown49 aka Otey B
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
WOW !!! VERY moving

Mark Sehon
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow!!!!!! Makes you think. :)

Gerry Clinchy
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Most amazing that so long ago, he anticipated that adding the words "under God" would make some people claim the Pledge was a "prayer" and be removed from schools.

It occurred to me recently that the words "under God" could have a meaning not often attributed to them ... "under God" can also mean "not above God". Essentially, saying that govt or a country should not take on a godly character, or envision itself as a god. Of course our legislators must not take it that way :-) ... they seem to like playing god with the rest of us.

ducknwork
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Got another link? I refuse to join Facebook:D, so I can't see it.

Gerry Clinchy
11-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Sorry, Duck, I got it off facebook & didn't realize the link would require being a member there.

I found it on YouTube.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM

Just search YouTube and search for Red Skelton Pledge of Allegiance.

Bruce L
11-05-2010, 11:06 PM
I had the privilege of seeing Red perform live in 1978 or 79 in Tulsa, OK at their fine arts theater as part of a banking convention. It was one of the finest nights of live performance I have ever seen - not a single cuss word or off color joke. He ended the show with his version of the pledge. It was very moving; lights dimmed (with patriotic music in the background) and quite a contrast to the side splitting laughter that characterized the rest of his show.

I remember it like yesterday, it made quite an impression.

Gerry Clinchy
11-05-2010, 11:17 PM
There were some other skits of his on YouTube where I found the pledge of allegiance clip. I remember watching him on TV as a kid ...

Back in the mid-60s Lenny Bruce was making headlines for getting arrested for his stand-up comedy using all kinds of 4-letter words. I saw some clips back then, and he really didn't seem to really be that funny ... but he got the headlines.

At the same time Bill Cosby's comedy albums were also very popular. I noticed how he could take his childhood experiences and have people laughing till it hurt without ever having to use any 4-letter words. And his "Noah & the Ark" is still hilarious. Bob Newhart had a different style than Cosby, but also could do the same.