PDA

View Full Version : Olberman suspended by MSNBC

BonMallari
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
bye bye KO...suspended for making political donations to Democrat campaigns

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40028929/ns/politics-decision_2010/ns/politics-decision_2010

ducknwork
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest,” it reads. “Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the president of NBC News or his designee."

Did they really just use those two words to describe Olbermann (or any MSNBC host)?

dnf777
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Hmm. Democrats upholding an ethics policy. Olberman get canned for giving a legal 2400 to his candidate. Fox News company donates a million and is still on the air as a "news" station? I see the double standard. Hypocrisy. Typical.

Cody Covey
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Fox News owner donating money is a bit different than an employee. And on top of that Fox News wasn't complaining about it so how is it hypocrasy?

dnf777
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Fox News owner donating money is a bit different than an employee. And on top of that Fox News wasn't complaining about it so how is it hypocrasy?

A supposedly neutral entity supporting a political cause financially.

I really don't see how an employer can limit what an individual privately gives, within the confines of the law. Are they allowed to dictate WHO he VOTES for in private as well?

I suspect he will move on and succeed in another venue, but if he chooses to fight this legally, I don't see how an employer would have a leg to stand on, regulating private donations. If he went on-air and announced this, (maybe he did? I don't watch him) then I see their beef. Otherwise, I don't.

Buzz
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM

I agree it's different. It's WORSE. Stock holders complained at a shareholder's meeting, and Merdoch basically told them to go pound sand.

Buzz
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
A supposedly neutral entity supporting a political cause financially.

I really don't see how an employer can limit what an individual privately gives, within the confines of the law. Are they allowed to dictate WHO he VOTES for in private as well?

I suspect he will move on and succeed in another venue, but if he chooses to fight this legally, I don't see how an employer would have a leg to stand on, regulating private donations. If he went on-air and announced this, (maybe he did? I don't watch him) then I see their beef. Otherwise, I don't.

Olbermann's problem is that he signed a contract. The contract stated that he could make political contributions, but he had to notify management and get their approval beforehand.

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree. Once you get past the "Fair and Balanced" slogan, Fox makes no pretense of objectivity.:rolleyes:

Glenn Beck gave $10,000 to the Chamber of Commerce as a funnel to republican candidates. If no Fox policy is violated, no problem. If Olbermann violated MSNBC's policy, there is no reason not to can him. I suspect his fate might have been different if his ratings were higher.;-)

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM

People in executive positions routinely have employment contracts that govern large aspects of their lives. This goes from the stupid (people at Pepsi were terminated if seen drinking Coke) to the understandable but highly intrusive.

As a partner in an accounting firm I was prohibited from owning any shares in any client company (representing about 30% of all companies in the world) as were all members of my immediate family. In addition, I could not have credit relationships with any customer. Beyond this, you could not be married to a senior executive at a client company or have any other strong personal relationships (e.g. dating) with senior client staff. All of this was done to preserve independence. One partner was terminated for participating in an NCAA betting pool organized by executives at a client company and the firm was cited by the SEC for that violation of independence restrictions.

Politically, we were free to do as we wished with one exception. We were required to contribute a certain percentage of our incomes (think thousands, not hundreds. per year) to the company PAC where the money was used routinely to support candidates that supported the firm and to support candidates supported by our clients. The latter happened almost every election cycle.

Cody Covey
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree. Once you get past the "Fair and Balanced" slogan, Fox makes no pretense of objectivity.:rolleyes:

Glenn Beck gave $10,000 to the Chamber of Commerce as a funnel to republican candidates. If no Fox policy is violated, no problem. If Olbermann violated MSNBC's policy, there is no reason not to can him. I suspect his fate might have been different if his ratings were higher.;-)

Fox News clearly states which programs are for news and which are entertainment. If you can provide examples of them not being objective during their news programs then fine I'll concede your point but to say they aren't objective because Hannity, an entertainer, isn't objective is a little out there.~

Buzz
11-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Fox News clearly states which programs are for news and which are entertainment. If you can provide examples of them not being objective during their news programs then fine I'll concede your point but to say they aren't objective because Hannity, an entertainer, isn't objective is a little out there.~

Um, Olbermann does an opinion show too.

Do yourself a favor and watch this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#40018314

Cody Covey
11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Um, Olbermann does an opinion show too.

Do yourself a favor and watch this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#40018314
What does Olbermann have to do with Jeff saying that Fox News isn't objective? Olbermann apparently signed some form of a contract limiting his ability to donate as he wishes. His problem not mine....Do yourself a favor and read slowly so you don't get turned around. It's fast paced around here...

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
What does Olbermann have to do with Jeff saying that Fox News isn't objective? Olbermann apparently signed some form of a contract limiting his ability to donate as he wishes. His problem not mine....Do yourself a favor and read slowly so you don't get turned around. It's fast paced around here...
I would agree that Fox is relatively "fair and balanced" ......in its football coverage. It will spread a rumor that supports its politics unquestioned for as long as it possibly can. It will either not report at all, or downplay any story that undermines the world view it is marketing.

Uncle Bill
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Politically, we were free to do as we wished with one exception. We were required to contribute a certain percentage of our incomes (think thousands, not hundreds. per year) to the company PAC where the money was used routinely to support candidates that supported the firm and to support candidates supported by our clients. The latter happened almost every election cycle.

Imagine that! Sounds very "unionistic" eh?

UB

Cody Covey
11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I would agree that Fox is relatively "fair and balanced" ......in its football coverage. It will spread a rumor that supports its politics unquestioned for as long as it possibly can. It will either not report at all, or downplay any story that undermines the world view it is marketing.

Then please name a story where its news anchors were lying...

Franco
11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I would agree that Fox is relatively "fair and balanced" ......in its football coverage.

You have got to be kidding! With Michael Strahan and Jimmy Johnson as two of the host, they are so far up the butts of the NFC East teams it makes me want to puke!

I'm just glad Oblaberman won't be doing Sunday night football pregame.

M&K's Retrievers
11-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Poor Ko. Can't seem to hold a job. I think(not sure) he has been fired from most of his jobs. For that matter, so has Limbaugh. :p

subroc
11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
So sad really. Such a quality guy being treated like that. He is always so kind in his treatment of others. I really like his "worst person in the world" segment. It is really a testament to his grace and class.

He will be missed.

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Imagine that! Sounds very "unionistic" eh?

UB
I've never been in a union, so I wouldn't know. The only place I have even been pressured into making political contributions was in good old corporate America.

Well over 90% of our PAC contributions went to Republicans. When there were contributions to Democrats, I was often designated to be the funnel since I was one of only two partners that openly admitted to being a Democrat in my politics (I always suspected there were a few others who were simply afraid). That meant I got to go to Ed Koch's birthday party every year, even though I opposed him and his birthday conflicted with my wife's, and I got to attend the Governor's Ball in New Jersey on a regular basis. These two events cost about $3000/year and I was allowed to count that cost toward my obligations to the PAC since neither event would accept PAC checks. It made me feel a little better since it reduced the amount of my money going directly to Republicans.;-)

david gibson
11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
So sad really. Such a quality guy being treated like that. He is always so kind in his treatment of others. I really like his "worst person in the world" segment. It is really a testament to his grace and class.

He will be missed.

not........

TN_LAB
11-05-2010, 04:33 PM
But officer, the guy ahead of me was driving even faster. Why did you pull me over?

Marvin S
11-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I find this forced contribution stuff funny - if you signed the contract it indicated you willing to prostitute your self :o .

At one time it was very fashionable to give to the needy & we were all hit for a donate. I brought in a sack of dog food & a sack of cat food as I felt they were the most vulnerable & the most needy. Had some really mad bosses :cool:.

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I find this forced contribution stuff funny - if you signed the contract it indicated you willing to prostitute your self :o .

At one time it was very fashionable to give to the needy & we were all hit for a donate. I brought in a sack of dog food & a sack of cat food as I felt they were the most vulnerable & the most needy. Had some really mad bosses :cool:.
Actually it was not in the partnership agreement, but was a decision of the board of partners and compliance was made part of the process of partner evaluation for future compensation adjustments (which regularly went both up and down). I negotiated that I would contribute more than the amount stipulated in payments directly to Democrats where the firm's PAC felt it was appropriate. I avoided writing checks directly to the PAC after the first year and never sent money to someone I was not willing to support. It did force a substantial increase in my political donations.

EDIT:
That was far from the only thing I ever did as a partner that made me feel dirty. That contributed to the fact that I left after 12 years. As it turned out, I would have been forced out shortly after anyway since the SEC forced the firms to eliminate their consulting practices.

Eric Johnson
11-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Hmm. Democrats upholding an ethics policy. Olberman get canned for giving a legal 2400 to his candidate. Fox News company donates a million and is still on the air as a "news" station? I see the double standard. Hypocrisy. Typical.

That's strikingly similar to General Electric contributing to President Obama's campaign while they own NBC.

Eric

coachmo
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Do all of the Fox News bashers actually believe the coverage on Fox during the election coverage Tuesday remotely compares to the blatant and pitiful display of media bias that was displayed on MSNBC? Please!!!!

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Do all of the Fox News bashers actually believe the coverage on Fox during the election coverage Tuesday remotely compares to the blatant and pitiful display of media bias that was displayed on MSNBC? Please!!!!
I watch them even less than I watch Fox. However, I do watch CNBC for financial news during the day, turning them off as soon as the screaming idiots start their work. For election coverage I watched CNN and follow http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/ which seems to still be doing a great job despite being purchased by the NY Times.

YardleyLabs
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
That's strikingly similar to General Electric contributing to President Obama's campaign while they own NBC.

Eric
Not only that, they gave thousands to Boehner, Sen Burr (R-NC), Sen Bunning, Vitter, and many others. Most of their contributions are funneled through their PAC and go to both Dems and Reps who are typically incumbents in positions of power that could affect GE's business interests.

Buzz
11-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Not only that, they gave thousands to Boehner, Sen Burr (R-NC), Sen Bunning, Vitter, and many others. Most of their contributions are funneled through their PAC and go to both Dems and Reps who are typically incumbents in positions of power that could affect GE's business interests.

Care to guess how much FOX News personalities Hannity, Palin, Beck, and Huckabee donated and raised for candidates and the RNCC and RNSC?

Buzz
11-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Jeff, I'll save you the trouble of trying to figure that out on your own.

Rachel does it again...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#40036897

Fair and balanced, for sure!

M&K's Retrievers
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Jeff, I'll save you the trouble of trying to figure that out on your own.

Rachel does it again...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#40036897

Fair and balanced, for sure!

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Buzz
11-05-2010, 11:45 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZ

You can't even come up with an obligatory Soros defense?

dnf777
11-06-2010, 07:40 AM

that RWE response reminds me of the little girls in grade school who stick their fingers in their ears and yell "blah blah blah blah I can't hear you!!!!"

When the truth doesn't fit the agenda......

starjack
11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
First the dems get hammered, now KO is gone could not have scripted any better.

dnf777
11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
First the dems get hammered, now KO is gone could not have scripted any better.

And soon, your free Glen Beck nose ring will be arriving in the mail, with DIY instructions for insertion! Yippee!

starjack
11-06-2010, 08:00 AM
And soon, your free Glen Beck nose ring will be arriving in the mail, with DIY instructions for insertion! Yippee!

What does that got to do with any thing??:rolleyes:

M&K's Retrievers
11-06-2010, 08:30 AM

No. I just don't care. I put KO and Beck in the same catagory. Unwatchable Goof Balls. :)

TN_LAB
11-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Care to guess how much FOX News personalities Hannity, Palin, Beck, and Huckabee donated and raised for candidates and the RNCC and RNSC?

No. I don't care. Then again, I don't write the checks. Apparently the folks that do sign the paychecks do care what Olbermann does (I don't).

subroc
11-06-2010, 09:15 AM
a fitting send off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvVJTaRw6aQ&feature=player_embedded

Uncle Bill
11-06-2010, 02:11 PM
What an easy out for the bean-counters. Olberdork wasn't pulling his weight in any time slot they put him...nothing but criticism even from the sports world...getting him canned from the Sunday night games.

Now the execs have a simple way to can him from the network, since he broke with his contract.

Good riddence.

UB

Uncle Bill
11-06-2010, 03:06 PM
FWIW...here's a possible Olberdork replacement...or clone mebbe.

Steve Friess of:

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/11/05/another-midterm-winner-the-mainstream-media/

A severe case of tunnel vision, much like many libs on this BB.

UB

david gibson
11-06-2010, 03:28 PM
but doesnt suspension just mean temporary? he wasnt axed. just a few days off without pay and the mouth returns...

subroc
11-06-2010, 04:08 PM
don't worry about olberman, I expect he will be on some football show this weekend telling some 22 year old first year pro that he is the worst person in the world.

JDogger
11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
but doesnt suspension just mean temporary? he wasnt axed. just a few days off without pay and the mouth returns...
I imagine somewhere, a group of lawyers is busy hashing this out. It's what liberals do. NBC can't fire him for such a petty contract violation. They would then have to honor and pay his contract. It's all just a legal game setting up negotiations. Does any of this have to do with Comcasts proposed purchase of NBC? Whadda you think?
Like the commentators at Fox, Olberman is not a journalist. He is an opinionator and entertainer. Maybe KO LLC has just as much right to political free speech as any other corporation. I thought we wanted an unrestricted level playing field?
This will play itself out. In the final analysis parties and politics will count for little. What will count, is can the CO's that control the various media make a buck selling Prius's to you and me?

Good lookin' pup BTW, Enjoy JD

cotts135
11-07-2010, 06:36 AM
It's funny how others in the network are allowed to make political contributuions but not Olberman. In 2006 Joe Scarborough gave $4200 to Derrick Kitts (R-OR) and between 2005-2008 Pat Buchanan made five contributions to Republican candidates, totaling $2250 and there are others.
My suspicion is that this has something to do with the new owners of MSNBC, Cox Communications. I believe they were just looking for away to terminate him and this was there chance.

BonMallari
11-07-2010, 09:06 AM
It's funny how others in the network are allowed to make political contributuions but not Olberman. In 2006 Joe Scarborough gave $4200 to Derrick Kitts (R-OR) and between 2005-2008 Pat Buchanan made five contributions to Republican candidates, totaling $2250 and there are others.
My suspicion is that this has something to do with the new owners of MSNBC, Cox Communications. I believe they were just looking for away to terminate him and this was there chance.

if you read the article the infraction is not that Olberman donated to the campaigns, the infraction is that he failed to disclose to his employers that he donated to those campaigns....when I used to watch CNBC they would always run the disclaimer that their on air talent had divested themselves of any market involvement

cotts135
11-07-2010, 07:17 PM
if you read the article the infraction is not that Olberman donated to the campaigns, the infraction is that he failed to disclose to his employers that he donated to those campaigns....when I used to watch CNBC they would always run the disclaimer that their on air talent had divested themselves of any market involvement

There seems to be some confusion on what is the real cause of his suspension. I have seen some conflicting accounts on what was the real cause. Regardless though as I see it, some people did not like him and didn't want him around anymore so this seemed like a good opportunity to dump him.
Although I am not certain this specific language was in his contract this is the corporate policy of NBC news the parent company of MSNBC

"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee."

Two things stand out about this, the first Keith Olberman is far from an impartial journalist at least most people would agree with this. The other point is that it says that " you should report any conflicts of interest"

Should is a far cry from "will" and is open to a wide interpretation.

BonMallari
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Well that didnt last long ....NBC just announced his suspension will be lifted on Tuesday

M&K's Retrievers
11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
How much air time did he miss? None? They are pretty strict over there. :rolleyes:

road kill
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
How much air time did he miss? None? They are pretty strict over there. :rolleyes:

If you base it on listeners.....NOT MUCH!!:D

RK

Buzz
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh no they didn't...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45411.html

Joe Scarborough suspended from MSNBC for campaign donations