PDA

View Full Version : One line for every President you remember

Ken Bora
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
You know that game when a person says a word or name and you say the first thing that pops into your head?
Ever play it with Presidents? I know Many of you can remember more than I can. I can vividly remember Nixon.
That was apparently when I became politically aware. My List and what I think of-

Nixon- “I am not a crook!” I know he did not say that, it was a Steve Martin skit. But it is what pops for me.
Ford- “I beg your pardon” First line of the cowboy song by Dolly somebody. Because of his pardon of Nixon.
Carter- “I have had lust in my heart” It was a Sunday talk interview. I remember asking my Grandmother
“What is lust?” it is a funny childhood memory.
Reagan- “Tear Down That Wall!”
Bush Sr.- “Read my lips, no new taxes!”
Clinton- “It depends on what your definition of “is”, is”
Bush Jr. “Nucular”

So come-on man! Who can go further back? Who has different pops? Lets have fun!

road kill
11-15-2010, 10:19 AM
"The buck stops here!"

?????

RK

Ken Bora
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
"The buck stops here!"

?????

RK

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/buckstop.htm

your not that old are you:cool:

YardleyLabs
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
LBJ: "I shall not seek and I will not accept the nomination of my party as your President." (1968)

JFK: "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." (1961 inaugural)

Eisenhower: "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex." (1961 farewell speech)

david gibson
11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
"i did not have sex with that woman - miss lewinsky" clinton

" We need to spread the wealth around" Obama

"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." Obama

"sock it to ME?" Nixon

and actually Nixon did say he was not a crook - the exact quote in an interview as:

""People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got."

omg i sound like yardley

Ken Bora
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
LBJ: "I shall not seek and I will not accept the nomination of my party as your President." (1968)

JFK: "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." (1961 inaugural)

Eisenhower: "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex." (1961 farewell speech)

DUDE!
I’ll actept the first two and they are great quotes. While I never saw them live I have seen the Kennedy inaugural in class.
BUT……. There is no way that Eisenhower quote “Pops” into your head. When I say Eisenhower, you instantly think all that???
What really pops into your head? Words like unwarranted or Militaryindustrial just don’t pop….;-)
For me, it is “J. Edgar Hoover” That is the word association I have. Not that I was ever alive, just a student of history and that is the pop I get. Somehow they are connected in my mind.

BonMallari
11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
I will always remember LBJ with his distinctive Texas drawl saying " My fellow Americans...."

Ken Bora
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
"
"sock it to ME?" Nixon

and actually Nixon did say he was not a crook - the exact quote in an interview as:

""People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got."

omg i sound like yardley

You know, I do remember that. Now that I read it, I know your right. Was in an interview? He never did congressional testimony did he? Anyway, I remember Steve Martin impersonating Nixon. And yes, on occasion, now and again, you and Jeff do sound alike. Just your passions are opposite.

dnf777
11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
GLADIOLAS!! Can't anyone deal with a housewife??!!

Like your Nixon quote, Johnson may not have really said that, but its from the movie "The Right Stuff", and it also stuck.

road kill
11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
"Drink hearty tonight men, for tomorrow we ride!!"

TR

RK

david gibson
11-15-2010, 12:17 PM
how about forrest gump mooning LBJ? total fallacy, but it sticks in my head....

YardleyLabs
11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
DUDE!
I’ll actept the first two and they are great quotes. While I never saw them live I have seen the Kennedy inaugural in class.
BUT……. There is no way that Eisenhower quote “Pops” into your head. When I say Eisenhower, you instantly think all that???
What really pops into your head? Words like unwarranted or Militaryindustrial just don’t pop….;-)
For me, it is “J. Edgar Hoover” That is the word association I have. Not that I was ever alive, just a student of history and that is the pop I get. Somehow they are connected in my mind.

Actually it does. I think it was one of the smartest and most prescient statements ever made by a President. I remembered it because that whole Eisenhower leaving, Kennedy coming in bit was a big deal in my house and got lots of attention (my father was county campaign manager for JFK). Ike's comments were considered a little scandalous at the time. I will admit that what I always remember was his warning us about the MIC. I looked up the exact words. Ike and Hoover are definitely connected. Eisenhower was very intimidated by Hoover and McCarthy and would have loved to see both disappear.

Roger Perry
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
DUDE!

How's "I like IKE"

Marvin S
11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
"I'm going to punch that SOB in the nose" only he didn't use SOB .

Harry Truman about the music critic who panned Margaret's performance :) .

Buzz
11-15-2010, 07:28 PM

It's the first thing that pops into my head when you mention the name Eisenhower.

But I think it was one of the more important things he said.

depittydawg
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
DUDE!
I There is no way that Eisenhower quote “Pops” into your head. When I say Eisenhower, you instantly think all that???

Actually that is a very famous Eisenhower quote. Probably the most important statement uttered by a US President in a hundred years. To bad it gets ignored to this day. .

Uncle Bill
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
One of my favs was by old 'give-em-hell' Harry, when he said," I hate to send these boys abroad, when they could be out finding one on their own."

UB