PDA

View Full Version : Senator wants FCC to shut down Fox and MSNBC

BonMallari
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Senator Rockefeller wants both Fox and MSNBC shut down by the FCC....well thats fair and balanced

cant wait to see how this is received by both stations..since I dont watch PMSNBC those of you on the left of center will have to tell me if Maddow/Olbermann comment on his request...

and yes I know the FCC doesnt control cable news content

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/18/sen-rockefeller-wishes-fcc-shut-fox-news/?test=latestnews

depittydawg
11-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Senator Rockefeller wants both Fox and MSNBC shut down by the FCC....well thats fair and balanced

cant wait to see how this is received by both stations..since I dont watch PMSNBC those of you on the left of center will have to tell me if Maddow/Olbermann comment on his request...

and yes I know the FCC doesnt control cable news content

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/18/sen-rockefeller-wishes-fcc-shut-fox-news/?test=latestnews

Well I can tell you Ed Schultz couldn't shut up about it on the radio today. I say close them all down!

BrianW
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Sure, why not? Let Jay & his elitist buds get back to business as usual without any interference from The People they're actually supposed to be representing. It must be really tough to cut your political deals over steaks & cigars when you've got stacks of letters, servers full of e-mails & answering machines full of messages from constituents who know what's going on these days.
After all, that's how great-granddaddy did it and look how much influence he had! Then, after they shut down Fox & friends (pun intended), they can get to work on that annoying Internet thing with all the tweets, & blogs and such that let the whole world know what's going on! The Senate is supposed to be about decorum, and tradition and "my esteemed friend, the Senator from..." .

Certainly, We, The People should just "trust" all of these progressives in office, right Deppity? They're obviously so much smarter than the rest of us and if they didn't have their agenda broadcast daily over cable news, we could all go back to the good ol' days when Cronkite told us what they thought we needed to know every night and then we all watched "Gunsmoke", "Perry Mason", "The Red Skelton Show", "I Love Lucy" etc. We really don't need to know about Landrieu's "Louisiana Purchase" sale of her vote, and "ethically challenged Charlie" Rangel's problems and so on and so on. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'd just love it if the uninformed, unwashed masses of the "Silent Majority" went back to being silent!

Ken Bora
11-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Senator Rockefeller wants both Fox and MSNBC shut down

Of course he does! Donít you remember wanting to pound the crap out of your little brother every time he went a tattling on whatever activities you may or may not have been doing with your buddies out behind the tractor shed?;-)
Nobody likes being told on but we need to know what the Senators are doing behind the shed.

menmon
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Sure, why not? Let Jay & his elitist buds get back to business as usual without any interference from The People they're actually supposed to be representing. It must be really tough to cut your political deals over steaks & cigars when you've got stacks of letters, servers full of e-mails & answering machines full of messages from constituents who know what's going on these days.
After all, that's how great-granddaddy did it and look how much influence he had! Then, after they shut down Fox & friends (pun intended), they can get to work on that annoying Internet thing with all the tweets, & blogs and such that let the whole world know what's going on! The Senate is supposed to be about decorum, and tradition and "my esteemed friend, the Senator from..." .

Certainly, We, The People should just "trust" all of these progressives in office, right Deppity? They're obviously so much smarter than the rest of us and if they didn't have their agenda broadcast daily over cable news, we could all go back to the good ol' days when Cronkite told us what they thought we needed to know every night and then we all watched "Gunsmoke", "Perry Mason", "The Red Skelton Show", "I Love Lucy" etc. We really don't need to know about Landrieu's "Louisiana Purchase" sale of her vote, and "ethically challenged Charlie" Rangel's problems and so on and so on. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'd just love it if the uninformed, unwashed masses of the "Silent Majority" went back to being silent!

The problem is they are not silent but still uninformed.

BrianW
11-19-2010, 12:05 PM
The problem is they are not silent but still uninformed.

Do you feel that, overall, The People are more or less informed about the issues of the day than in the 60's & 70's, or even '85 (when Jay first started his Senate career), when all we had were the networks & newspapers?

BrianW
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
The part that really got me, in Jay's little diatribe, is that he really thinks (or at least pretends well) that this would be a service to us, all wrapped up in a nice litle "slimmed down cable package" to save people money. Aw, ain't that sweet! :rolleyes:
Tell you what, I'm all grown up now and I don't need Uncle Rocky deciding what's good for me or not. I'll decide what cable/satellite service/channels I want or not AND what & when I'll watch, thanks to the remote & DVR. :p

menmon
11-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Do you feel that, overall, The People are more or less informed about the issues of the day than in the 60's & 70's, or even '85 (when Jay first started his Senate career), when all we had were the networks & newspapers?

The problem today is the spin is out of control. With cable news and the internet, there is so much misinformation. Furthermore, the internet and cable news sell watered down information that is spun to the uninformed with the pretense of informing them. Just like the financial news, someone is always pushing an agenda. The only value in these shows is the ticker tape, the rest is just agenda moving. American's would be better off if they went back to watching Hawaii 5 o, and I love Lucy

Tim Thomas
11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
The problem today is the spin is out of control. With cable news and the internet, there is so much misinformation. Furthermore, the internet and cable news sell watered down information that is spun to the uninformed with the pretense of informing them. Just like the financial news, someone is always pushing an agenda. The only value in these shows is the ticker tape, the rest is just agenda moving. American's would be better off if they went back to watching Hawaii 5 o, and I love Lucy

I'm not quite sure if your reference to "spin" is intended to brand all news org's or just Fox.....your past posts would tend to suggest Fox is the only one handing out misinformation. Either way, I tend to think that we're better off with the deluge of info, most with a twist of opinion, but still info. It does appear to have drawn in a more youthful audience than past and just as if the delivery was from car salesman of long ago, we inherently grow wise to the rhetoric. Worst case scenario...it has caused more interest in at least what is going on and perhaps, in the process, folks will become more educated on the history and foundation of this great country. So, watch your Hawaii Five-0 or Lucy reruns....me, I'm keeping my eye on the ball.

cotts135
11-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Yep, just what we need, a politician telling us what we should watch in our own homes. As Ken said, this is only a move in his own self interest and that of his buddies in Congress.

depittydawg
11-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Well my answer would be yes. People were much better informed in the 60's and 70's than they are today. News was news back then. Not profit centers for multi-national corporations with their own agendas. Studies I've seen have shown that american's in general are very misinformed about the world around us. The real problem is probably one of lack of interest more than anything else.
If a person has the brains and curiosity to know what is happening in this world, there are many resources available. It doesn't take a whole lot of savvy to cut through the crap at Fox and other sources to get at the truth. Those who desire the truth have no problem finding it. Those who want their narrow world views reinforced (political spectrum notwithstanding), have no problem getting their fix from their safe reliable sources and hence, remaining mostly ignorant to the world around them.