PDA

View Full Version : Gunning at the National

sinner
11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Unless I am missing reading something: Sure has been a lot of missed flyers and no birds at this National. Weather, demanding fall areas or what?:rolleyes:

rboudet
11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Maybe bad shells. ;)

kip
11-24-2010, 12:02 PM
most of the gunners are like 100 plus.

EdA
11-24-2010, 02:03 PM
as previously posted on the national thread

1. Judges nit picky about falls (some are some aren't)

2. Flyers used as controlled birds, particularly out of order ones like the rooster yesterday

3. Pheasants thrown into the wind or into a cross wind

4. Sun in the gunner's eyes

5. Inexperienced throwers, particularly with pheasants

6. Old guys like Sinner shooting....:cool:.........although not nearly as old as Kippy alleges

Paul "Happy" Gilmore
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Nobody mentioned nerves? I shoot a lot of fliers for 3-4 different clubs. I was asked to shoot at the National Chesapeake Specialty for the last series of the Derby. I was nervous.

zip kia
11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
the way you shoot HAPPY i would be nervous to you would think we could hit a singal flyer at a junior test but we showed them we could miss alot of them haha

greenheadsandcans
11-25-2010, 04:15 PM
nerves at first boredom at last

J. Walker
11-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Unless I am missing reading something: Sure has been a lot of missed flyers and no birds at this National. Weather, demanding fall areas or what?:rolleyes:

As someone who's been a shooter at several trials and hunting tests, it's always easy to play armchair quarterback. At a recent field trial, I had to throw and shoot along with one other shooter for several days. We were cruising along without problem until the wind picked up and started swirling. One bird would be thrown with a strong left to right wind and would be fine. The next one would be a quartering right to left wind. The next one would be thrown as hard as possible into a head wind and the darn thing would immediately flare its wings and reverse direction or go straight up, landing right by us if shot or, in two cases, rapidly changing direction having us aiming in the direction of another bird station so shooting was out of the question. The bottom line is that you takes what you gets or make this point moot and get rid of shot flyers entirely and just use thrown or launched birds.

sinner
11-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks, with over 60+ all age judging points and having been a national am judge plus gunning for FT for over 40 years I have some knowledge to work from.
I question if :confused:current method of selection of guns for our nationals is what it should be?
It costs an arm & a leg to qualify and run at a national.
Gunning should not be a social event!

MarkyMark
11-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Maybe some of these shooters should learn the art of Colombaria throwing. They have an uncanny way of doctoring up a bird to handle any situation.

EdA
11-27-2010, 11:51 AM
A large pool of shooters willing to give up 10 days of their lives and spend 2-3k of their own money for the privilege does not exist. Most of the gunners are experienced above average to excellent shooters.

How would you suggest improving things, hired guns?

MarkyMark
11-27-2010, 12:25 PM
A Colombaria is a person that throws live pigeons, it's a gambling game where you have to kill the pigeon over a defined ring. Very popular in Texas going to down into Mexico. Most of these thowers travel the US priding themselves on no man shooting straight of a 10 bird race. They size up the shooters position and make a judgment call on the wind. From there they take the bird and trim it's feathers. If there faced with a change in wind, sun need to speed up or slow down a bird to make a fair field they will trim up the feathers.

If they want a bird to move left or right they can do it. Most of the time if they have a constant wind they will prep up most of the birds in the AM then at lunch do the rest. With that theres a chance these guys can show shooters how to trim up feathers to get consistant shooting and handle windy days.

LESTER LANGLEY
11-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I wonder how many Pheasants these Columbians have thrown?

MarkyMark
11-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Lester any bird can be tweaked to accommodate the wind conditions. I'd also like to point out there Colombaria's. If you have been to a Colombaria Pigeon shoot then you know what I am talking about. Anyone worth there salt with a shotgun should at least read the great book by Bob Brister, Shotgunning the art and science.Go down to page 272 then 274 you'll see the thrower in a pile of feathers. Guns of lightning, Balls of stainless steel and some great times. Now bringing all this pigeon shooting up makes me want to head down to Texas for the weekend, forget the warm beach I want live piegons and gambling. Ahh
http://tinyurl.com/284sg54

DoubleHaul
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
So what is the secret? I have tried to google it and the link doesn't go to p. 254--no joy. I'm always looking for ways to improve my bird tossing.

MarkyMark
11-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Page 274 is where you want to be. It will give you an idea of the game. I personally know of 2 throwers there in TX and TN. Let's face it these guys are few and far between.

Paul "Happy" Gilmore
11-29-2010, 05:11 PM
the way you shoot HAPPY i would be nervous to you would think we could hit a singal flyer at a junior test but we showed them we could miss alot of them haha

because you throw like girl. :)