PDA

View Full Version : All-American Weekend!!

dnf777
11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
What a weekend!
Spent Thursday through Sunday in Gettysburg, Pa.

Started with a reproduction on the spot of Abe Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, immediately followed by 20 immigrants taking the Oath Of Allegiance to become Americans. (and a keynote speech from Sam Donaldson, who was actually quite the orator)

Next day, about 7500 Civil War recreationists in a parade through town. I never thought I'd get to see that. Over 7000 rifles with bayonets fixed, marching to drum and fife right down Baltimore Ave. If that doesn't get the hair standing up on your neck, you're probably dead!

Last day, got to show my son his great-great-great grandfather's name on the Pennsylvania 2d Cavalry Memorial.

If anyone here hasn't visited Gettysburg, I can't begin to describe what you're missing. And in case it sounds like I'm just awestruck from my first visit....this was about number 10. It only gets better each time.

Oh, and the best part, getting to go back to the BnB with a chick in a 18th century hoop skirt! :D:D:D

Gunners Up
11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
That sounds like an Awesome weekend!

About 8 years ago I was in Pennsylvania on business and had just finished reading Killer Angles. I was fortunate enough to be close to Gettysburg so I spent the better part of a day there.

The most awe inspiring thing to me was to stand at the tree line where Pickets men stood before their ill-fated charge. Staring across the mile long incline up to Cemetery Ridge and wondering if I would have been willing to make that charge. The volley of fire coming down upon the Confederate soldiers was devastating and complete. Different men of a different time, cut from a much different cloth I guess.

I need to go back with my kids and explain the sacrifice to them of both men and country.

Rich Davis

dnf777
11-24-2010, 12:30 PM
That sounds like an Awesome weekend!

About 8 years ago I was in Pennsylvania on business and had just finished reading Killer Angles. I was fortunate enough to be close to Gettysburg so I spent the better part of a day there.

The most awe inspiring thing to me was to stand at the tree line where Pickets men stood before their ill-fated charge. Staring across the mile long incline up to Cemetery Ridge and wondering if I would have been willing to make that charge. The volley of fire coming down upon the Confederate soldiers was devastating and complete. Different men of a different time, cut from a much different cloth I guess.

I need to go back with my kids and explain the sacrifice to them of both men and country.

Rich Davis

I know exactly what you're talking about. I stood there with my son at the "Angle" and explained that around 12,000 men marched across that wide open field in a mile-wide column right into the cannonade. And nobody who's been there and understood what happened will laugh at me, when I say I get tears in my eyes every time I visit that spot. There is something you can feel in in the air and in the ground there. Same at Devil's Den.