PDA

View Full Version : entrapment or good police work?

subroc
11-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Is this entrapment or good police work?

Is it/should it be called terrorism or a crime? leftys?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html

Ken Bora
11-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I vote good police work.

Franco
11-27-2010, 09:30 AM
It would have been better police work had they put a 40cal bullet in his temple.

zeus3925
11-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Great police work!

Doc E
11-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Did you see his picture ?
He'll probably get off, claiming "profiling".

luvmylabs23139
11-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I vote for entrapment. I'm far from a lefty but if this were a typical local crime it would be thrown out of court.

depittydawg
11-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Is this entrapment or good police work?

Is it/should it be called terrorism or a crime? leftys?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html

Here in Oregon, we call that good police work. They identified a nut, and now he's in jail and nobody is harmed. Nice work.

BonMallari
11-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I vote for entrapment. I'm far from a lefty but if this were a typical local crime it would be thrown out of court.

so if the undercover police dont thwart an attempt at an attack, then what,poor intel....totally disagree with you..in order for law enforcement to work,you sometimes have to get in the gutter with the criminal element and play a con game to expose their plan...the police couldn't wait and see if this nut job's plan was successful

great police work..you never know if he was just a mule carrying the load for a bigger organization, just too bad he didnt get tagged by bullet by the swat team

luvmylabs23139
11-27-2010, 12:52 PM
so if the undercover police dont thwart an attempt at an attack, then what,poor intel....totally disagree with you..in order for law enforcement to work,you sometimes have to get in the gutter with the criminal element and play a con game to expose their plan...the police couldn't wait and see if this nut job's plan was successful

great police work..you never know if he was just a mule carrying the load for a bigger organization, just too bad he didnt get tagged by bullet by the swat team

NO, the crime would be stopped but if you look at history in the end the offender would get off. I'd rather a crime be thown out of court but foiled than actually happen and get a conviction. The question was whether or not it would be considered entrapment. Most likely it was, but at least it never happened.

Eric Johnson
11-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Now the TSA is going to ramp up efforts to scan or pat down all attendees at Christmas tree lightings.

Eric

david gibson
11-27-2010, 01:59 PM
whatever happened to these guys in similar cases?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-arrests-terrorists-sting-operations-dallas-springfield/story?id=8666300

cotts135
11-28-2010, 07:07 AM
This was a nice job by the FBI. Congrats.

david gibson
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM
"The FBI apparently gave him ample chances to back out so it wasn’t entrapment. Mohamed Osman Mohamud is 19 and will probably spend the rest of his life in prison. Planning violent jihad with someone you met on the net is right up there with middle-aged men thinking it really is a 14 yo girl in that chat room. Dumb. But dumb people are also capable of extreme violence.

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

The FBI did this one right."

BrianW
11-29-2010, 09:40 AM
The part that bugs me is that:
"On Nov. 4, Mohamud and the FBI operatives traveled to a remote spot in Lincoln County, where they detonated a bomb concealed in a backpack as a trial run for the upcoming attack."

OK, here we DO have live explosives in the guy's immediate location, albeit with the "operative". What if somehow this had gone awry and the guy had ended up with a live bomb or it had gone off en route? Yes I realize that to get the most effect, they had to get him "in the act" of actually trying to kill people, but stuff does happen.

We got the embassy bombing suspect on 20 to life on a conspiracy to damage US property charge and the Admin is crowing about that "success". So was it really necessary to let this go as far as it did?

road kill
11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Nice case of Public Relations.

You busted a 19 year old that you led down the path.

Probably the highest level of terrorist activity they can handle.

I am sure there are no more serious activities going on.

Much ado about nothing.
Without the aid of the FBI, the kid had nothing.

RK

subroc
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
The part that bugs me is that:
"On Nov. 4, Mohamud and the FBI operatives traveled to a remote spot in Lincoln County, where they detonated a bomb concealed in a backpack as a trial run for the upcoming attack."

OK, here we DO have live explosives in the guy's immediate location, albeit with the "operative". What if somehow this had gone awry and the guy had ended up with a live bomb or it had gone off en route? Yes I realize that to get the most effect, they had to get him "in the act" of actually trying to kill people, but stuff does happen.

We got the embassy bombing suspect on 20 to life on a conspiracy to damage US property charge and the Admin is crowing about that "success". So was it really necessary to let this go as far as it did?

Grounds for dismissal.

We should charge the FBI with endangering a suspect, give the FBI agents life in prison and let the terrorist go. Head of the FBI should be made to stand before the nation and apologize for endangering a victim (suspect). There should be a complete reevaluation of the way the FBI runs their house.

Roger Perry
11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
NO, the crime would be stopped but if you look at history in the end the offender would get off. I'd rather a crime be thown out of court but foiled than actually happen and get a conviction. The question was whether or not it would be considered entrapment. Most likely it was, but at least it never happened.

No different than undercover police working drug busts.Would you call undercover police buying drugs and arresting the sellers entrapment or good police work?

Cody Covey
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
No different than undercover police working drug busts.Would you call undercover police buying drugs and arresting the sellers entrapment or good police work?

I've always been confused as to how they actually get away with that to be honest. I'm glad it happens and it is good police work but how is it not considered entrapment?

Ken Bora
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I've always been confused as to how they actually get away with that to be honest. I'm glad it happens and it is good police work but how is it not considered entrapment?

'cause the kid WANTED to do it!!

Cody Covey
11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
So its only entrapment if the person if forced to do it by the cops?

BrianW
11-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe not 'forced" but certainly "directed by" the cops, ie:
Man goes to sell a shotgun to undercover operative in otherwise legal transaction.
UO says "Cut the barrel off for me right here" (at 18").
Man does so w/ hacksaw.
UO gives man payment.
Man is then arrested/charged with selling a sawed off shotgun.
That's "entrapment" in my book.

david gibson
11-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Maybe not 'forced" but certainly "directed by" the cops, ie:
Man goes to sell a shotgun to undercover operative in otherwise legal transaction.
UO says "Cut the barrel off for me right here" (at 18").
Man does so w/ hacksaw.
UO gives man payment.
Man is then arrested/charged with selling a sawed off shotgun.
That's "entrapment" in my book.

that would be entrapment. the seed of the illegal activity was planted by the cop.

if the guy said: "i'll cut the barrel off if you want me to" - even if he didnt specify a length, and the cop said "ok, cut it right here at 18" ", then its not entrapment, but close.

we dont know anywhere near enough facts to make a judgement of entrapment or not on the portland bomber case, and nobody outside of the case will until it goes to trial. there were way too many conversations and actions that arent known. i would hope the fbi would be smart and set it up so as not to be entrapment, but cops are people too and sometimes they dont always do things right. but i doubt they just picked a kid at random and said "hey, lets make a fake bomb case with this guy". they monitor subversive web sites/message boards etc, and when they spot a guy that they feel would carry it out if he found the right people, then its smart to pretend to be the people he seeks and disarm his plan before he actually does meet terrorists that would help him.

my bet would be not entrapment, but you never know what can happen when you get a jury full of liberals

david gibson
11-30-2010, 11:02 AM
to me, he did himself in with the court of public opinion by shouting "allaha akbar!" instead of "i didnt do nothin'!" upon his arrest.