PDA

View Full Version : How Iran's Nuke Program Got Whacked

Hew
11-28-2010, 06:46 AM
A fascinating article explaining how a nasty computer virus set Iran's nuke ambitions back for hopefully a long time: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/26/secret-agent-crippled-irans-nuclear-ambitions/

excerpts:

The construction of the worm was so advanced, it was “like the arrival of an F-35 into a World War I (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/world-war-i.htm#r_src=ramp) battlefield,” says Ralph Langner, the computer expert who was the first to sound the alarm about Stuxnet. Others have called it the first “weaponized” computer virus.

--Masking itself from the plant's security and other systems, the worm then ordered the centrifuges to rotate extremely fast, and then to slow down precipitously. This damaged the converter, the centrifuges and the bearings, and it corrupted the uranium in the tubes. It also left Iranian nuclear engineers wondering what was wrong, as computer checks showed no malfunctions in the operating system.

Estimates are that this went on for more than a year, leaving the Iranian program in chaos. And as it did, the worm grew and adapted throughout the system. As new worms entered the system, they would meet and adapt and become increasingly sophisticated.

dnf777
11-28-2010, 07:16 AM
I wonder if the internet security czar and DHS had anything to do with this?:rolleyes:

depittydawg
11-28-2010, 10:14 AM
A fascinating article explaining how a nasty computer virus set Iran's nuke ambitions back for hopefully a long time: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/26/secret-agent-crippled-irans-nuclear-ambitions/

excerpts:

Interesting story. Can anyone say ............... Israel

Franco
11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
It appears that worms are good for more than just fishing!;-)

Hew
11-29-2010, 03:26 PM
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad admitted Monday that "several" uranium enrichment centrifuges were damaged by "software installed in electronic equipment," amid speculation Iran's nuclear activities had come under cyberattack.

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/Iran-admits-uranium-afpsg-235353845.html?x=0

Roger Perry
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Or by assasination? Can you say CIA?

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's president accused Israel and the West of being behind a pair of daring bomb attacks that killed one nuclear scientist and wounded another in their cars on the streets of Tehran on Monday. He also admitted for the first time that a computer worm had affected centrifuges in Iran's uranium enrichment program.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other Iranian officials vowed that the nuclear program would not be hampered by what they described as a campaign to sabotage it — whether by assassination or by the computer virus. The United States and its allies say Iran is seeking to build a nuclear bomb, a claim Tehran denies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40412396/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

Buzz
11-29-2010, 04:09 PM
But there are people losing sleep at night worrying because control systems that operate components in our power generating plants and power transmission systems are vulnerable to the same type of worms. Same with industrial control systems at manufacturing and chemical plants.

Pretty cool huh?

Hew
11-30-2010, 06:00 AM
But there are people losing sleep at night worrying because control systems that operate components in our power generating plants and power transmission systems are vulnerable to the same type of worms. Same with industrial control systems at manufacturing and chemical plants.

Pretty cool huh?
LOL. Gee, who knew there would or could be hand wringing about Iran's nuke program being peacefully disrupted.

Let's see...we can't be mean to Iran or say bad things about them or you people get mad. We can't back Israel if they militarily address Iran's nuke program or you people would get mad. Now it's apparently unnacceptable to collapse Iran's nuke program without firing a single shot. What is "pretty cool" to you? Another world pariah and sponsor of terrorism with access to nuclear weapons?

Buzz
11-30-2010, 08:07 AM
LOL. Gee, who knew there would or could be hand wringing about Iran's nuke program being peacefully disrupted.

Let's see...we can't be mean to Iran or say bad things about them or you people get mad. We can't back Israel if they militarily address Iran's nuke program or you people would get mad. Now it's apparently unnacceptable to collapse Iran's nuke program without firing a single shot. What is "pretty cool" to you? Another world pariah and sponsor of terrorism with access to nuclear weapons?

You need to get some help. You read things into other's posts that aren't there. I didn't say that it was bad that Iran's centrifuges flew apart. All I said was that a major part of our economy is vulnerable to the same type of attack and that seeing it done successfully in Iran isn't going to make a lot of people who operate the vulnerable infrastructure sleep any better at night. Sheesh, I'll try and really spell it out for you next time so you don't get yourself worked up.

Here is a good place for you to start in your rehabilitation...

http://recoveryhope4all.com/15styles_of_distorted_thinking.html

Hew
11-30-2010, 09:12 AM
You need to get some help. You read things into other's posts that aren't there. I didn't say that it was bad that Iran's centrifuges flew apart. All I said was that a major part of our economy is vulnerable to the same type of attack and that seeing it done successfully in Iran isn't going to make a lot of people who operate the vulnerable infrastructure sleep any better at night. Sheesh, I'll try and really spell it out for you next time so you don't get yourself worked up.

Here is a good place for you to start in your rehabilitation...

http://recoveryhope4all.com/15styles_of_distorted_thinking.html
Ah, so your "Pretty cool, eh?" comment at the end of your original post wasn't the normal smarmy and condescending sarcasm that you're fond of using? My bad. :rolleyes:

david gibson
11-30-2010, 09:38 AM

Pretty cool huh?

sorry buzz, but "pretty cool, huh?" does sound like you either think it would to be fun to see the same thing happen here, you seem to want to see these big entities be compromised. i just cant see any other way to interpret that.

perhaps a better response would be:

"Pretty scary, huh?"

if you meant something different, please do tell.

Buzz
11-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Sorry. I' start using <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags.

I was reading that other article that Uncle Bill posted the link to, and given that I used to work at Siemens and worked very closely with the guys who designed and did application work with their adjustable frequency controls, it struck me as funny that they portrayed it as surprising that anyone writing such a computer virus could have intimate knowledge with how they function. You just need to know who to ask, there are plenty of them walking around.

menmon
11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
sorry buzz, but "pretty cool, huh?" does sound like you either think it would to be fun to see the same thing happen here, you seem to want to see these big entities be compromised. i just cant see any other way to interpret that.

perhaps a better response would be:

"Pretty scary, huh?"

if you meant something different, please do tell.

What is up with this. Not that Buzz needs your approval, but he brought up a valid point, and I'm sure he does not want to see it happen. The world spends Billions protecting itself from cyber terrorism. It is a real threat. If some worm unminded the Irainians that's great. It is better than bombs and guns, but Buzz noted a real treat to this country, so use your brain and quit belittling someone that uses theirs.

david gibson
11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry. I' start using <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags.

I was reading that other article that Uncle Bill posted the link to, and given that I used to work at Siemens and worked very closely with the guys who designed and did application work with their adjustable frequency controls, it struck me as funny that they portrayed it as surprising that anyone writing such a computer virus could have intimate knowledge with how they function. You just need to know who to ask, there are plenty of them walking around.

buzz, you should know you have to use sarcasm tags in here! with the wide extreme of viewpoints in potus you never know what someone will either believe or just take to the bank to mess with you! i learn that over and over with some posters in here

Joe S.
11-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Ah, so your "Pretty cool, eh?" comment at the end of your original post wasn't the normal smarmy and condescending sarcasm that you're fond of using? My bad. :rolleyes:

Take a deep breath, John...maybe you should go fishing or something...;-)

As The Worm Turns Regards,

Joe S.

david gibson
11-30-2010, 01:05 PM
What is up with this. Not that Buzz needs your approval, but he brought up a valid point, and I'm sure he does not want to see it happen. The world spends Billions protecting itself from cyber terrorism. It is a real threat. If some worm unminded the Irainians that's great. It is better than bombs and guns, but Buzz noted a real treat to this country, so use your brain and quit belittling someone that uses theirs.

exactly where did i belittle buzz? or tell him he needed my approval? i was being polite here and just pointing out how his post could be misinterpreted and why hew may have done just that, thats all. buzz - if you took it that way i apologize, but i think you understand where i was coming from. i know buzz doesnt want that to happen, but he got it - he needed sarcasm smileys.

sorry sambo, nothing to complain about here.