PDA

View Full Version : No Offshore East Coast Drilling For 7 Yrs!

Gerry Clinchy
12-01-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40455797/ns/us_news-environment

WASHINGTON Pointing to the BP blowout and risks of a new environmental disaster, the Obama administration reversed itself Wednesday and promised not to pursue offshore drilling (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40455797/ns/us_news-environment#) in the eastern Gulf of Mexico or anywhere else along the nation's East Coast.

The administration had backed a major expansion of offshore drilling earlier this year, in part to gain support for comprehensive climate legislation in Congress, one of President Barack Obama's (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40455797/ns/us_news-environment#) top legislative goals.

With that bill now off the table, the president stands much to gain politically by saying no to powerful oil interests, particularly in Florida, which is expected to be a crucial swing state in the 2012 election campaign.

Guess Florida trumps Louisiana with its electoral votes.

"In the Gulf and the Atlantic we are adjusting our strategy," Salazar said. "We believe the most appropriate course of action is to focus development on areas with existing leases and not expand to new areas at this time."

Under the revised plan, the Interior Department will not propose any new oil drilling in waters in the Atlantic Ocean and eastern Gulf for at least the next seven years. Already-planned lease sales in the Gulf of Mexico, expected in March and August, will be delayed until late 2011 or early 2012, Salazar said.

I wonder how this makes us less dependent on imported energy sources? Or creates jobs in the US? Or helps the economy in any way?

david gibson
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM

I wonder how this makes us less dependent on imported energy sources? Or creates jobs in the US? Or helps the economy in any way?

folks here in texas are livid. its so political - he hopes to win florida withing this and doesnt care about the other gulf states because they are very red anyway.

he just doesnt care about all the jobs he is destroy

depittydawg
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM

If the build more Green Energy systems in lieu of this, it will make us both more independent and create US jobs.

Nor_Cal_Angler
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
If the build more Green Energy systems in lieu of this, it will make us both more independent and create US jobs.

Wishfull Thinking......

NCA

M&K's Retrievers
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM

You must have been Bogarting that joint,

Whacky Tabacky Regards,

depittydawg
12-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Wishfull Thinking......

NCA

Not at all. I have a great job with a company that is in the Renewable Energy Business. We are expanding and creating lots of good jobs.

depittydawg
12-02-2010, 12:55 AM
You must have been Bogarting that joint,

Whacky Tabacky Regards,

No, just cashing my paychecks every two weeks. I wish I was bogarting... Haven't done that in years.

road kill
12-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Not at all. I have a great job with a company that is in the Renewable Energy Business. We are expanding and creating lots of good jobs.

Really??

Post them..........:cool:

RK

Franco
12-02-2010, 07:57 AM

In the meantime(like the next 30 years), what will power our vehicles?
Are you willing to pay upwards of $6 per gallon of gasoline?

Obama is a fool when it comes to his energy policy!

BrianW
12-02-2010, 08:39 AM

IF the systems were built here, not just designed and then contracted for overseas component build, that could be true down the road. But in the meantime, energy/transportation costs for materials, manpower and marketing of the product will go up exponentially. That "Green Energy system" factory, say for solar panels, won't appear out of nowhere and will likely be heavily dependent on petroleum components; plastics, lubricants, composite materials etc. to get it done, now.

What would you propose to use "in lieu of this" ?
Do you think the decision makers at your plant wil keep adding jobs if their shipping costs double or triple? What if a key component cost skyrockets?

Gerry Clinchy
12-02-2010, 08:40 AM
There is no question in my mind that the ultimate solution to our energy problems will be through alternative fuels.

However, you don't shut down your economy and wait for those alternatives to develop. I would think that you take an aggressive position in developing those alternatives, and you keep your economy going full steam to provide the investment funds to develop the alternatives.

There obviously is no "plan" here. In March, they say they will drill; in December they say they won't. Time to get everybody on the same page.

zeus3925
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
A moratorium maybe warranted at this time due to our recent experiences with readiness of both drillers and government to address the BP spill. After all it is not just the oil industry that is dependent on the abundance of off shore waters.

Seven years, though, seems to be a bit long for Yankee ingenuity to come up with appropriate technology and to get it in place.

dback
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Seven years, though, seems to be a bit long for Yankee ingenuity to come up with appropriate technology and to get it in place.

Aaaahh....where you been zeus....O doesn't believe in/apologizes for, Yankee ingenuity.

G*d d*mn America regards

luvmylabs23139
12-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Is this private investment money or money that is being stolen from the taxpayers. This crap is loosing money and taxpayers should not be forced to have their money stolen from them and dumped into a stupid money pit.:confused::confused::confused:

Franco
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
No drilling in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, fine we have plenty to explore and produce in the western gulf.

What is missing is the fact that Obama and Salizar are not issuing ANY new drilling permits in the gulf!

zeus3925
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Aaaahh....where you been zeus....O doesn't believe in/apologizes for, Yankee ingenuity.

G*d d*mn America regards

I wouldn't do that to America. It is a helluva great place!

dback
12-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't do that to America. It is a helluva great place!

We can toast to that one Sarge.