PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Jones Made His Point

gman0046
12-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I think Mr. Jones made his point!

Seems a guy cruises through a stop*sign and gets pulled over by a local policeman. Guy hands the cop his drivers license, insurance verification plus his concealed carry permit.

"OK Mr. Jones," the cop says, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you've got."

Jones says, "well I've got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box and I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my boot."

"Okay," the cop says. "anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a shotgun. Thats about it."

"Mr. Jones are you on your way to or from a gun range?"

"Nope"

"Well then, what are you afraid of?"

"Not a damn thing!"

mjh345
12-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Best post you've ever made Gman

RedlegHunter
12-12-2010, 04:48 AM
That's what I'm talking about, "Peace through Superior Firepower!"

BrianW
12-12-2010, 08:18 AM
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

dnf777
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Thats a nice story, but why in the world would you bait getting hassled by giving a cop your CWP?? The C stands for concealed, and he has no business knowing about it during a routine traffic stop. I keep it my business, unless he specifically asks.

precisionlabradors
12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Thats a nice story, but why in the world would you bait getting hassled by giving a cop your CWP?? The C stands for concealed, and he has no business knowing about it during a routine traffic stop. I keep it my business, unless he specifically asks.
it pulls up on their cruiser screen, usually, along with arrest warrents, etc. so if you dont' bring it up, they already know. telling them typically is just a courtesy and they sometimes go easy on the fine.

dnf777
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM
it pulls up on their cruiser screen, usually, along with arrest warrents, etc. so if you dont' bring it up, they already know. telling them typically is just a courtesy and they sometimes go easy on the fine.

What fine?
I'm sure most cops won't have any trouble with that, but I'm just not in the habit of volunteering anything they don't ask for.

We have one real jerk here. Actually pulled his cruiser onto a sidewalk to block a grandmother and grandson, and cited them for operating a vehicle on a sidewalk. (a John Deere battery powered scooter) Made the toddler get out of the vehicle, and had the grandmother push it home. Fortunately, the story was witnessed, and made the local paper, humiliating and disgracing him. He's now retired. I wouldn't volunteer the time of day to him, even if he asked.

gman0046
12-12-2010, 05:34 PM
dnf aren't you smart enough to know this post is just for fun? Why get tied up in your underwear over a harmless post? You never cease to amaze me.

dnf777
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm not tied up at all. You're the one who is amazed.
I have several friends who are cops, and have befriended most of the cops around here through my work in the ER. And almost all of them admit they are real jerks when dealing with the public! Its how they establish dominance. Relax, I'm just having fun too. Hopefully, I didn't offend a G-man?? Agent 0046? Sorry.

david gibson
12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I have several friends who are cops, and have befriended most of the cops around here through my work in the ER. And almost all of them admit they are real jerks when dealing with the public! Its how they establish dominance. Relax, I'm just having fun too. Hopefully, I didn't offend a G-man?? Agent 0046? Sorry.

i just asked my brother abouit this comment, he is a 30+ yr cop and now police chief of a force of 38.

i wont print his answer. suffice it to say his opinion of the author is about the same as mine.

Juli H
12-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't think you have to be a jerk to esablish dominance. Being authoritative does not translate to being a jerk. In fact, I think the 'good ones' are able to be 'polite' and 'authoritative' at the same time. I recall getting a speeding ticket a few yrs ago and the trooper was nothing but polite...business-like, but polite. The only speeding ticket I ever got, unless you count the one I got in Canada - but I don't, since they go by km/h. LOL. :)

Juli

dnf777
12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
i just asked my brother abouit this comment, he is a 30+ yr cop and now police chief of a force of 38.

i wont print his answer. suffice it to say his opinion of the author is about the same as mine.

That proves my point exactly. Somehow I figured your ilk would take to a badge, gun, and profanity. You were a bouncer? Seems your clan enjoys bullying people. Never would have guess that from what we see here! :rolleyes: I will steer clear of his juristiction. And I was quoting a friend on the State Trooper force, so your brothers' opinion is about a fellow officer, not me.

Julie, I agree. My dealings with the Pa State Troopers have always been professional. I guess their comments (not mine) have to be taken in the context that many of the people they deal with set the tone for the encounter. I've been stopped probably a dozen times, and have never been written up, except once, probably in part because I am courteous and respectful. The one ticket I did get was easily defeated in court, and the officer is known to have issues. (keeping our sidewalks safe from grandmothers walking with their grandchildren!)

david gibson
12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
That proves my point exactly. Somehow I figured your ilk would take to a badge, gun, and profanity. You were a bouncer? Seems your clan enjoys bullying people. Never would have guess that from what we see here! :rolleyes: I will steer clear of his juristiction. And I was quoting a friend on the State Trooper force, so your brothers' opinion is about a fellow officer, not me.

Julie, I agree. My dealings with the Pa State Troopers have always been professional. I guess their comments (not mine) have to be taken in the context that many of the people they deal with set the tone for the encounter. I've been stopped probably a dozen times, and have never been written up, except once, probably in part because I am courteous and respectful. The one ticket I did get was easily defeated in court, and the officer is known to have issues. (keeping our sidewalks safe from grandmothers walking with their grandchildren!)

sigh.....there you go again. you just never know which direction is the high road, do you? i have never known a cop who was a jerk because it gave them "authority". bouncing was the same. you win far more often and far more peacefully as a nice guy than you do being a jerk. 4 yrs as a bouncer and never charges filed and never retaliated against pretty much speaks for itself.

nice try though.

M&K's Retrievers
12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
sigh.....there you go again. you just never know which direction is the high road, do you? i have never known a cop who was a jerk because it gave them "authority". bouncing was the same. you win far more often and far more peacefully as a nice guy than you do being a jerk. 4 yrs as a bouncer and never charges filed and never retaliated against pretty much speaks for itself.

nice try though.

No kidding...

dnf777
12-12-2010, 09:04 PM

nice try though.

LMAO!!

Have a good night.

I'll end my participation in this thread, by dedicating it to my good friend, who left behind a lovely wife, daughter, and son, when he took his last watch as a State Trooper almost one year ago, Tpr. Paul Richey. RIP Brother.

M&K's Retrievers
12-12-2010, 09:46 PM

My son-in -law is a police officer and I assure you nothing is further from the truth.

Tell me. Did you leave Texas or get run off?

dnf777
12-13-2010, 04:27 AM
My son-in -law is a police officer and I assure you nothing is further from the truth.

Tell me. Did you leave Texas or get run off?

Couldn't afford private schools for the kids, so moved back near Pittsburgh where the public schools are ranked much higher. Plus, wanted to train at a world class medical center without having to sit in traffic 2 hours a day to get there.

Definately miss the spec fishin', BBQ, and Greune Hall!

ducknwork
12-13-2010, 06:30 AM
That proves my point exactly. Somehow I figured your ilk would take to a badge, gun, and profanity.

Where's the profanity you refer to?:confused: If your kids are off limits and it really chaps your ass when someone brings them up, what gives you the right to trash DG's brother for no reason at all? DG stated that his brother is a veteran police officer that is now chief and from that info, you deem him 'ilk', a bully and a bad cop that uses excessive profanity. Where did you get all that?

BrianW
12-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Jmtc, but a lot of the "jerk" mentality stems from the members of the public the cops have to primarily deal with.
When I lived in L.A. many the cops I had off duty dealings with had the "us vs them" attitude; ie "There's cops, cop's families, and scum". That's a quote from a 25 year LAPD veteran.

Imo, if you're not carrying then there's no reason to bring the permit into play. One KCSD deputy I spoke to while an EMT told me that (in his view) if you're open & up front about weapon status, you're likely ok on other issues that may come up during a stop. If you're hiding the fact, or they have to draw it out of you, you've probably got something else at issue and he adjusts accordingly. .
Personally, I keep my CWP right behind my driver's license and remove them simultaneously if pulled over and requested along with registration and proof of insurance, haven't had any hassles up here. They've asked what & where the weapon is and that's been it.

Franco
12-13-2010, 08:39 AM

I have a CWP and one of the first things one learns in the 8 hour class required to get one is that if one is stopped by any Law Enforcement Officer that it is your responsibility to immediatly inform them that you are carrying a concealed weapon by showing them your permit.

road kill
12-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I have a CWP and one of the first things one learns in the 8 hour class required to get one is that if one is stopped by any Law Enforcement Officer that it is your responsibility to immediatly inform them that you are carrying a concealed weapon by showing them your permit.

That is the same in WI.

RK

M&K's Retrievers
12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Couldn't afford private schools for the kids, so moved back near Pittsburgh where the public schools are ranked much higher. Plus, wanted to train at a world class medical center without having to sit in traffic 2 hours a day to get there.

Definately miss the spec fishin', BBQ, and Greune Hall!

Last time I checked it still doesn't have air conditioning but the beer is very cold. You left out Luckenbach, where everybody is somebody. The beer there is cold too I guess because they don't have A/C either.

Buzz
12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
I just traveled through Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska on my way to and from a week in Texas. I was traveling alone late at night and since I have a permit to carry here in South Dakota thought about bringing my 9 mm along. I was disappointed to find that those states do not honor my permit, but my state honors theirs. I left my gun at home. I would have felt a lot more comfortable walking into public bathrooms at 2 am if I was packing.

Franco
12-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I just traveled through Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska on my way to and from a week in Texas. I was traveling alone late at night and since I have a permit to carry here in South Dakota thought about bringing my 9 mm along. I was disappointed to find that those states do not honor my permit, but my state honors theirs. I left my gun at home. I would have felt a lot more comfortable walking into public bathrooms at 2 am if I was packing.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than burried by 6.;-)

Though I have several bigger caliber pistols in my truck and thoughout my house, I love carrying my semi-auto Walther P22. Small, dependable and very accurate. Though the company is owned by Smith & Wesson, Walthers are still made in Germany.

ducknwork
12-13-2010, 10:57 AM

That's what I have always heard as well.

Jason Glavich
12-13-2010, 12:17 PM

I have always let the officer now that I am carrying. Most times I have gotten a response of " Oh..ok" or "what do you carry?" I prefer to tell them before it comes up when they run my info, if it already hasn't been ran.

The one time I didn't it was a very courteous traffic stop afterwords. Better just to notify them, and to me it shows you have a background check, are somewhat a good citizen and you are not hiding the fact that you have a gun.

ducknwork
12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Actually, I talked to someone more in the know than me today and it is law to make the officer aware of you CWP. The first time you don't tell them, you get a slap on the wrist. The second time, you go to court and the third time your permit gets yanked and you can never get it back.

dnf777
12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Jmtc, but a lot of the "jerk" mentality stems from the members of the public the cops have to primarily deal with.
When I lived in L.A. many the cops I had off duty dealings with had the "us vs them" attitude; ie "There's cops, cop's families, and scum". That's a quote from a 25 year LAPD veteran.

Thanks for pointing that out. That was the extent of my point. My best friend growing up is a Houston police, another a PA state trooper, and I know they're good guys. I also know, they aren't quite as nice on patrol, mainly because of the people they deal with.

As for PA, nothing was conveyed to me through two CWP renewals that you MUST bare all when pulled over. If they ask, I will answer honestly. But I do not volunteer information. I also carry medical devices that require a phyisicans' supervision. I don't yell out I'm a doctor, show him my license, and start pulling out controlled substances from my bag. They don't really care.

By the way, a dear friend who is now a 30 yr retired officer used to crack us up by classifying everyone as a cop, a floater, or a sinker. I was honored to be in the "floater" category. You don't want to be a sinker! :(

sandyg
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. That was the extent of my point. My best friend growing up is a Houston police, another a PA state trooper, and I know they're good guys. I also know, they aren't quite as nice on patrol, mainly because of the people they deal with.

As for PA, nothing was conveyed to me through two CWP renewals that you MUST bare all when pulled over. If they ask, I will answer honestly. But I do not volunteer information. I also carry medical devices that require a phyisicans' supervision. I don't yell out I'm a doctor, show him my license, and start pulling out controlled substances from my bag. They don't really care.

By the way, a dear friend who is now a 30 yr retired officer used to crack us up by classifying everyone as a cop, a floater, or a sinker. I was honored to be in the "floater" category. You don't want to be a sinker! :(

Oh brother! Let the backpedaling begin!

david gibson
12-13-2010, 03:39 PM

yeah, and in post 16 he said "I'll end my participation in this thread......" but he keeps coming back up like a zit with a new head the next morning after you pop it.

dnf777
12-13-2010, 04:23 PM

You would DEFINATELY be a sinker.

gman0046
12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
dnf is "packing" all right and as usual its all BS.

dnf777
12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Three against one. Almost a fair fight. Where's Hew and RK? :D

Oh, and Gman, sorry to disappoint, but that's not a gun in my pocket. :shock:

Ken Bora
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Thats a nice story, but why in the world would you bait getting hassled by giving a cop your CWP?? The C stands for concealed, and he has no business knowing about it during a routine traffic stop. I keep it my business, unless he specifically asks.[/quote]

No, you don't;-)

[quote=Franco;716909]I have a CWP and one of the first things one learns in the 8 hour class required to get one is that if one is stopped by any Law Enforcement Officer that it is your responsibility to immediatly inform them that you are carrying a concealed weapon by showing them your permit.

Just like when youre living in Vermont and going hunting in Quebec, Canada. And then coming back. When I pull up to the border hut. Before I say good morning or hello even. I state I have a gun. Its just how it is done. But often they are more persnickety about the rabies vaccination paperwork for the dogs.:rolleyes:

Ken Bora
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
what are you afraid of?"

"Not a damn thing!"

well then he should have come to a full stop.:razz:

dnf777
12-13-2010, 04:52 PM

No, you don't;-)

Just like when youre living in Vermont and going hunting in Quebec, Canada. And then coming back. When I pull up to the border hut. Before I say good morning or hello even. I state I have a gun. Its just how it is done. But often they are more persnickety about the rabies vaccination paperwork for the dogs.:rolleyes:

In all honesty Ken, the situation hardly comes up. I haven't felt the need to carry since I left Philly. In fact, the only reason I renewed my CWP was so if I hit another deer, I wouldn't have to watch it suffer. Although, that is a huge NO NO anyway, and I rarely carry.

road kill
12-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Three against one. Almost a fair fight. Where's Hew and RK? :D

Oh, and Gman, sorry to disappoint, but that's not a gun in my pocket. :shock:

I can join in, don't think you'd like it though.

RK

Ken Bora
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
[quote=Ken Bora;717135]

In all honesty Ken, the situation hardly comes up. I haven't felt the need to carry since I left Philly. In fact, the only reason I renewed my CWP was so if I hit another deer, I wouldn't have to watch it suffer. Although, that is a huge NO NO anyway, and I rarely carry.

I do feel for all you folk as I feel the Vermont system is more better. No concealed carry permits needed.
And technically all Law Abiding Vermont citizens are supposed to be armed. A law still buried deep from our days as the Republic of Vermont before we chose to join the other states as the 14th state.

dnf777
12-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I can join in, don't think you'd like it though.

RK

When it comes to CWPs, I don't see any need to argue over that. I just said I wouldn't volunteer my farm just because I'm stopped for a traffic violation, and happen to have a CWP. Then everyone got their bowels in an uproar.

Gettin' a little nippy out. Time for a warm cup of coffee...with a little extra warmth. :)

BrianW
12-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I just hope Dave, for your (and family's) sake, that you never get in the situation where you wish you had one, and don't.

And while I agree with Ken on Vermont's carry policy, I'm glad I live in a 'shall issue" state. :)
Just wish that CWP's were given the same recognition as driver's licenses in all 50 states instead of just those with "reciprocity agreements". :-x

JDogger
12-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I just hope Dave, for your (and family's) sake, that you never get in the situation where you wish you had one, and don't.

And while I agree with Ken on Vermont's carry policy, I'm glad I live in a 'shall issue" state. :)
Just wish that CWP's were given the same recognition as driver's licenses in all 50 states instead of just those with "reciprocity agreements". :-x

In NM, and AZ, open carry is still the law. You can get a concealed carry permit in both states, but why jump thru the hoops? Strap it on, wear it were you want...Bars, banks, and other restrictions still apply though.
I have customers come into the store in full open carry at the same time there are LEO's. Never a second glance.
I think a sidearm in full view is more of a deterant than, Oh, he might be armed...JD

M&K's Retrievers
12-13-2010, 11:08 PM
In NM, and AZ, open carry is still the law. You can get a concealed carry permit in both states, but why jump thru the hoops? Strap it on, wear it were you want...Bars, banks, and other restrictions still apply though.
I have customers come into the store in full open carry at the same time there are LEO's. Never a second glance.
I think a sidearm in full view is more of a deterant than, Oh, he might be armed...JD

I agree but that will never fly even in Texas.

JDogger
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2076953/open_carry_firearm_states_list_and.html?cat=7

Interesting, JD

dnf777
12-14-2010, 04:42 AM

When I left Texas in '88, they still didn't have a CWP law. I suppose they got one since?
Pennsylvania has always had one, although until somewhere in the 80s, it was difficult to obtain. Now, they sheriff has to prove why you SHOULDN'T have one, otherwise the issuance is almost automatic. There is a background check, with I think is reasonable and prudent.

BrianW
12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
IYou can get a concealed carry permit in both states, but why jump thru the hoops? Strap it on, wear it were you want...

Being able to carry concealed gives one a little more flexibility, and sometimes comfort, like having it in your jacket while driving rather than on your leg.

True, but it's also more of a target to be shot at first!
Plus, having one under wraps doesn't let the perp know that "the coast is clear" now that you're down on the floor with one in your back and a Model 29 strapped to your side. That "soccer mom" still in the checkout line just might have a .38+P LadySmith in her purse!

Clay Rogers
12-14-2010, 08:35 AM

I'm with Dogger on this. Why do I need to pay the government for a permit to carry a weapon when the constitution already gives me that right. I would be alot less apt to approach a fellow with a pistol strapped to his side in plain view versus a guy that might have one under his fully zipped up coat.

JDogger
12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Happiness (is a warm gun) momma. -J. Lennon

M&K's Retrievers
12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
When I left Texas in '88, they still didn't have a CWP law. I suppose they got one since?
Pennsylvania has always had one, although until somewhere in the 80s, it was difficult to obtain. Now, they sheriff has to prove why you SHOULDN'T have one, otherwise the issuance is almost automatic. There is a background check, with I think is reasonable and prudent.

Texas passed concealed carry several years ago. I understand that in 2009 HB 1815 was passed that allows loaded handguns in your auto and on you way to and from the auto but it must be concealed. What seems odd is that apparently you are not required to notify a police officer of the weapon unless you have a concealed carry permit. This is what I found on ALGORE's Information Highway. My son-in-law the Rowlett, TX cop confirms this as accurate.

dnf777
12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Texas passed concealed carry several years ago. I understand that in 2009 HB 1815 was passed that allows loaded handguns in your auto and on you way to and from the auto but it must be concealed. What seems odd is that apparently you are not required to notify a police officer of the weapon unless you have a concealed carry permit. This is what I found on ALGORE's Information Highway. My son-in-law the Rowlett, TX cop confirms this as accurate.

Yeah, when I left, you couldn't carry a gun, but you could drink and drive, so long as you weren't drunk. Probably not a bad thing really, if you think about it. I remember when they passed their first open container law...I thought I'd rather have guys having one or two while driving home, than stopping at a bar on the way home and having 10!

Far as I know, in Pa there is no law to require disclosure. If they ask, I will answer honestly. I just don't feel compelled to tell him every legal act I'm committing as I sit on the side of the road. I always have a buck folding knife in my glove box. I don't volunteer that info either.

Juli H
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM

One of the guys that is the night janitor where I work wears a sidearm in full view...comes in at about 8 oclock to start cleaning..about an hour before we close...I have never seen him not wear it...no one has ever paid much attn to it or commented on it. LOL...of course this is Alaska...

If you get pulled over by troopers up here you are required to tell them if you have a concealed weapon.

Juli

ducknwork
12-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Does anyone have stats that show how many crimes have been prevented/stopped by people exercising their right to carry?

dnf777
12-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Does anyone have stats that show how many crimes have been prevented/stopped by people exercising their right to carry?

I'm looking. I'm sure its significant. Not because people brandished their gun and scared off an perp (although I'm sure that happens) but moreso because when carrying, many will be more aware of their environment, and avoid a situation that would require the use of their CW in the first place. I know when I carry, I am hyper-vigilant to avoid any trouble.

M&K's Retrievers
12-15-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm looking. I'm sure its significant. Not because people brandished their gun and scared off an perp (although I'm sure that happens) but moreso because when carrying, many will be more aware of their environment, and avoid a situation that would require the use of their CW in the first place. I know when I carry, I am hyper-vigilant to avoid any trouble.

Maybe you should carry when on POTUS. :rolleyes:

BrianW
12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Even if we can find some numbers I don't think they'll be anywhere near the actuals, though just reading "The Armed Citizen" in the NRA magazines shows it's pretty common and widespread. Just an example, in the Rodney King riots, my carpool buddy and I were approached by a group of about 12 angry looking black men while stopped at a red light while trying to get home. My partner pointed the 870 we had with us out his window and the group stopped it's progress. Light turned green, cross traffic stopped and we were outta there!!
No "incident", nothing to report, no statistic.

Also jmtc, along with what DNF said, when you're carrying you have (or at least should have) what Jeff Cooper called "the combat mindset". You're more alert for trouble, not acting like a "sheep" and that alone can deter some problems with "goblins" before they ever get started so no stats there either.

Fwiw, I think a more telling statistic could be comparing assault/robbery report rates between neighboring carry/non-carry states.