PDA

View Full Version : Tax Cut Increases Taxes

Roger Perry
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Another one of Sarah Palins one liners:confused:

In a rare interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on Friday criticized the $858 billion tax cut bill that passed through Congress early this morning, calling the legislation "a lousy deal" that "creates a temporary economy with even more uncertainty for businesses and it does increase taxes."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20025969-503544.html

Buzz
12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Kind of lends credibility to the recent study that showed that listening to Faux News makes you stupid.

road kill
12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Kind of lends credibility to the recent study that showed that listening to Faux News makes you stupid.
I would like to read that, can you post a link??

Or.........

RK

Roger Perry
12-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I would like to read that, can you post a link??

Or.........

RK
He might have meant listining to Sarah Palin makes you stupid;)

road kill
12-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Well, look what its done for you!:D

RK

Roger Perry
12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, look what its done for you!:D

RK
Just like Bush, l just get a kick out of the stupid things that come out of her mouth:D

dnf777
12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Too bad they don't tax intelligence...ol' Todd (first dude) would be able to buy a new snowmobile with the refund she'd get!

road kill
12-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Too bad they don't tax intelligence...ol' Todd (first dude) would be able to buy a new snowmobile with the refund she'd get!

Don't start, Smokin' Joe Biden knows the taste of shoe leather, so does Barry.

RK

caryalsobrook
12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I try to be careful who I call stupid. Rarely do I but before i do i certainly want to look where they are and where I am and then most of the times someone might say "if they are so wtupid then what are you?":)

mjh345
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Or; you have to be stupid to put any credence to what Sarah Palin says

road kill
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Really, it's all you middle of the road independents talk about!!:cool:

RK

BonMallari
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Just like Bush, l just get a kick out of the stupid things that come out of her mouth:D

Took you all the way to Post # 6 to mention Bush..you're slipping:p:p

menmon
12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Please quit picking on the Eskimo Bimbo! She may not be too smart when it comes to economics, public affairs, national defense, and duties of the Vice President, but she has one hell of a publisit that is exploting the hell out of this idiot for the benefit of both of them's checking account.

Uncle Bill
12-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Please quit picking on the Eskimo Bimbo! She may not be too smart when it comes to economics, public affairs, national defense, and duties of the Vice President, but she has one hell of a publisit that is exploting the hell out of this idiot for the benefit of both of them's checking account.

Yet another bit of sage advice from the Oracle of IHOP. Didn't know you could read.:razz: Are we to believe you have spent some of your stock market bonus bread on a Sarah Palin tome? If so, may the force be with you. Never know when some intelligence may rub off.

UB

caryalsobrook
12-24-2010, 05:41 AM

In a rare interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on Friday criticized the $858 billion tax cut bill that passed through Congress early this morning, calling the legislation "a lousy deal" that "creates a temporary economy with even more uncertainty for businesses and it does increase taxes."

You can correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the death tax essentially zero in 2010 and the new tax law set a basic exemption something like 3.5 million for single and 5 million for husband and wife and a 35% tax on assets above the exemption??
I don't know what Sarah Palin was thinking when she said there was a tax increase in the bill, but don't you call this a tax increase??

Just asking:)

BrianW
12-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Don't start, Smokin' Joe Biden knows the taste of shoe leather, so does Barry. RK

As does "Big Sis" Napolitano:

"thousands of people [who] are working 24/7, 364 days a year to keep the American people safe. :razz:

Roger would have been all over that if it had been Sarah! ;-)

menmon
12-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Yet another bit of sage advice from the Oracle of IHOP. Didn't know you could read.:razz: Are we to believe you have spent some of your stock market bonus bread on a Sarah Palin tome? If so, may the force be with you. Never know when some intelligence may rub off.

UB

I assure you I haven't!

depittydawg
12-24-2010, 11:05 AM
You can correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the death tax essentially zero in 2010 and the new tax law set a basic exemption something like 3.5 million for single and 5 million for husband and wife and a 35% tax on assets above the exemption??
I don't know what Sarah Palin was thinking when she said there was a tax increase in the bill, but don't you call this a tax increase??

Just asking:)

As I understand it, since the congress didn't get their business done, there was a free period within the estate tax. The most notable Tycoon who died during that period was George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees and a hell of a lot more. His estate passed without any taxation.

My understanding of the current rules, created by President Obama and Congressional Republicans behind closed doors, with bi-partisan support, is the cap was set at 10 million for a family Tax Fee "Gifts" within an estate. Under that figure, no tax. Above it 35%.

menmon
12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
As I understand it, since the congress didn't get their business done, there was a free period within the estate tax. The most notable Tycoon who died during that period was George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees and a hell of a lot more. His estate passed without any taxation.

My understanding of the current rules, created by President Obama and Congressional Republicans behind closed doors, with bi-partisan support, is the cap was set at 10 million for a family Tax Fee "Gifts" within an estate. Under that figure, no tax. Above it 35%.

Hell my heirs can probably make it on $10MM. Hell they could make it on $6.5MM...they just have to buy cheaper car!

Roger Perry
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
As does "Big Sis" Napolitano:

"thousands of people [who] are working 24/7, 364 days a year to keep the American people safe. :razz:

Roger would have been all over that if it had been Sarah! ;-)

The righties here are quick enough to point out anything done or said by the Obama administration or Democratic Party even if it is not true so they don't need me doing that however the righties here are quick to turn a blind eye to anything negative said or done against the Republican party.

caryalsobrook
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM

So what you are saying is that they INCREASED taxes on estates. WhetherSara Palin knew this or not, I have no idea. Maybe a follow up question would have been in order but none asked. But the FACT is that estate taxes are increased by the bill.

depittydawg
12-24-2010, 02:47 PM
So what you are saying is that they INCREASED taxes on estates. WhetherSara Palin knew this or not, I have no idea. Maybe a follow up question would have been in order but none asked. But the FACT is that estate taxes are increased by the bill.

I don't believe that is the case. It sounds to me like the increased the maximum amount an estate can be worth prior to tax. That is a decrease. It used to be 2 million, now it's 10 million. The 35% rate may have been an increase, I don't know what it was before. Not really on my radar, since my estate will never be worth anything close to 10 million dollars. Unless I win a lottery or something :D

caryalsobrook
12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't believe that is the case. It sounds to me like the increased the maximum amount an estate can be worth prior to tax. That is a decrease. It used to be 2 million, now it's 10 million. The 35% rate may have been an increase, I don't know what it was before. Not really on my radar, since my estate will never be worth anything close to 10 million dollars. Unless I win a lottery or something :D

Good Lord, can't you even read your own post??? And i quote "george Steinbrenner's children paid no estate tax (2010). Don't you think they would have paid an estate tax if the exemption had been 10 mill?? THATS CALLED A TAX INCREASE FOR 2011!!!

caryalsobrook
12-27-2010, 07:03 AM

FACT- the 858 billion tax bid DOES INCREASE TAXES. It increases the tax on estates. As I stated in a prior post and deppydog(I probably misspelled his handle again, not on purpose) also stated, if you had died in 2010, you would not have paid as estate tax. If you die in 2011, you will pay an estate tax on all assets above a certain amount. I have no idea if Sara Palin was refering to thiswhen she made, the statement; maybe a follow up uestion would have been appropriate. Howeveer she was factually correct when she made the statement. The silence of you and all the others that called her an idiot based on that particular statement has been deafening. I'm not surprised.

caryalsobrook
12-30-2010, 06:57 AM
FACT- the 858 billion tax bid DOES INCREASE TAXES. It increases the tax on estates. As I stated in a prior post and deppydog(I probably misspelled his handle again, not on purpose) also stated, if you had died in 2010, you would not have paid as estate tax. If you die in 2011, you will pay an estate tax on all assets above a certain amount. I have no idea if Sara Palin was refering to thiswhen she made, the statement; maybe a follow up uestion would have been appropriate. Howeveer she was factually correct when she made the statement. The silence of you and all the others that called her an idiot based on that particular statement has been deafening. I'm not surprised.

Roger, Buz, dnf777, mjh345, and Sambo, you used Sara Palin's statment claiming the 858 tax bill raised taxes as proof that she is stupid and an idiot. The fact is that she was correct, it raised the tax on estates. The fact that you were wrong in my opinion proves nothing about your intelligence- it only shows some lack of knowledge of the total effects of the bill. Your reluctance to just say "Hey, she was right and I was wrong" is something one can only speculate.

I have never forgotten an incident ina basketball game where I felt that the ref missed a call. I was furious and started to voice my outrage at "the totally stupid call". The ref looked at me and said "I MISSED IT" Nothing for me to say. I walked away with the healthiest of respect for that ref for a number of reasons.

Buzz
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Roger, Buz, dnf777, mjh345, and Sambo, you used Sara Palin's statment claiming the 858 tax bill raised taxes as proof that she is stupid and an idiot. The fact is that she was correct, it raised the tax on estates. The fact that you were wrong in my opinion proves nothing about your intelligence- it only shows some lack of knowledge of the total effects of the bill. Your reluctance to just say "Hey, she was right and I was wrong" is something one can only speculate.

I have never forgotten an incident ina basketball game where I felt that the ref missed a call. I was furious and started to voice my outrage at "the totally stupid call". The ref looked at me and said "I MISSED IT" Nothing for me to say. I walked away with the healthiest of respect for that ref for a number of reasons.

I have insulted Sara Palin's intelligence in the past, but I don't believe you can find an incident of me supporting that assertion based on her statements about the tax bill. I realize that the estate tax was zero this year and it will not be next year. Hell, I knew that was going to happen back when they passed the original bill that zero'd it out for 2010.

Here are some details about what the estate tax was "scheduled" to do by law.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129756032

You'll note that for 2011 by law passed during the Bush years, the exemption was to be $1 million dollars and the top rate on estates was to be a whopping 60%. So if you want to talk about what the estate tax will do in 2011 compared to what it was scheduled to do, then depittydawg is correct, the estate tax was cut. If you want to argue about what it will do in 2011 compared to 2010, then you're right, they are going up.

The problem with these "discussions" is agreeing what we are arguing about in the first place. That's what I hate about politics and politicians. They are purposely vague about the details that their statements are based on so they can be lying and telling the truth all at the same time. :rolleyes:

I have no clue how intelligent Sara Palin is. There are plenty of people who have lots of potential (basic God given ability), but they waste that potential through laziness and a general lack of interest and curiosity about the world they live in.

yours truly,
Dave Buzz

caryalsobrook
12-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Sorry I was wrong in including you about Sara Palin. That must have been an interesting study about Faux News(Fox News?). I wonder what the study would have been had they studied those who listen to Fox, MSNBC and CNN?

I love that spin about "scheduled tax increase. So If the raise the price of a truck by $5000.00 and then discount it $1000 then that is a price cut:) I guess that if a car company can do it then polititions can do it too:)

Buzz
12-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I love that spin about "scheduled tax increase. So If the raise the price of a truck by $5000.00 and then discount it $1000 then that is a price cut:) I guess that if a car company can do it then polititions can do it too:)

Wasn't trying to spin it. Just pointing out that who's right and who's wrong depends on the frame of reference you choose.

caryalsobrook
12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Wasn't trying to spin it. Just pointing out that who's right and who's wrong depends on the frame of reference you choose.

You spin pretty good without trying:)

mjh345
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Please show me where I said her stance on the tax bill proves that she is stupid and an idiot.

I never commented on the tax bill. But it seems as though you fancy yourself an expert on tax bill 858.

So would you be so kind as to lend me your expertise on this issue and explain to me the effect 858 will have on estate taxes in 2011; as opposed to what those estate taxes would have been had they tax bill 858 not been passed?

I don't presently plan on dying in 2011, but it never hurts to be as informed as possible

caryalsobrook
12-30-2010, 10:58 AM

the subject of the thread was Sara Palin's statement about the tax bill. If your posst doesn't apply to this statement then I guess we all have to guess or have a crystal ball to know as to what you were referring. As to claiming to be an expert on the tax bill, I don't think it takes an expert to read with a smattering of comprehension to see that there was no estate tax in 2010 and there is a tax on estates in 2011.
I certainly hope it has no effect on you in 2011 but it is certain to affect someone in 2011(hopefully not me either).

Buzz
12-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Please show me where I said her stance on the tax bill proves that she is stupid and an idiot.

I never commented on the tax bill. But it seems as though you fancy yourself an expert on tax bill 858.

So would you be so kind as to lend me your expertise on this issue and explain to me the effect 858 will have on estate taxes in 2011; as opposed to what those estate taxes would have been had they tax bill 858 not been passed?

I don't presently plan on dying in 2011, but it never hurts to be as informed as possible

To be clear, I think he was referring to the $858 billion dollar bill, not bill 858.

Be careful, if you talk about what taxes will do as opposed to what they would have done, you're spinning. :D I hate to think of it as spin. I prefer to regard it as paying attention to details. ;-)

Buzz
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I certainly hope it has no effect on you in 2011 but it is certain to affect someone in 2011(hopefully not me either).

I hope it doesn't impact any of us for a long long time. :D

However, it can't hurt to plan for the worst when doing one's estate planning!