PDA

View Full Version : left wing media at it again (nina totenberg)

subroc
12-21-2010, 07:54 AM
left wing media at it again.

NPRs Nina Totenberg apologizes for saying the word Christmas:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/12/20/nprs_nina_totenberg_apologizes_for_saying_christma s.html

You lefties are really a bit silly with the levels you stoop to in the name of political correctness.

road kill
12-21-2010, 07:57 AM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/12/20/nprs_nina_totenberg_apologizes_for_saying_christma s.html

You lefties are really a bit silly with the levels you stoop to in the name of political correctness.
Let's see here, again;

Christmas=BAD

Gay=GOOD

RK:rolleyes:

dback
12-21-2010, 08:52 AM
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/12/12/video-the-12-days-of-winter/

dnf777
12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

And you righties are silly with the depths you will go to find examples like this! That was said with an air of sarcasm. If she really hated Christmas, she wouldn't have said anything except "party". She made sure to include Christmas, with what to me seemed like a snide "apology". Besides, did you NOTICE the entire set was decorated for Christmas with Poinsettias?

The sky isn't falling. Relax.

Buzz
12-21-2010, 09:52 AM
And you righties are silly with the depths you will go to find examples like this! That was said with an air of sarcasm. If she really hated Christmas, she wouldn't have said anything except "party". She made sure to include Christmas, with what to me seemed like a snide "apology". Besides, did you NOTICE the entire set was decorated for Christmas with Poinsettias?

That's what I was going to say, but I figured I'd just hear that I was a know it all and get chastised for making excuses for the lefties.

You know, in the alternate universe of Faux News, there is an all out war against Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever...:rolleyes:

Franco
12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
That's what I was going to say, but I figured I'd just hear that I was a know it all and get chastised for making excuses for the lefties.

You know, in the alternate universe of Faux News, there is an all out war against Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever...:rolleyes:

The far right has to be paranoid about something, might as well be gays and thier preceived attack on Christmas. Afterall, it is that paranoia that helps thier leaders lead the flock and gives them strength. Its what keeps them coming back for more Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly and the other wannabees.

Here is an attack on Christmas by Disney. In this video, Disney attempts to brainwash young impressionable children with the indoctrination of Santa Claus. Disney conspired with Jewish merchants to get Christians to spend lots of money in gift giving.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtYgGN3z6U

david gibson
12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

since when do poinsettias directly signify christmas? i dont think they had any next to the manger....:rolleyes:

dnf777
12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
since when do poinsettias directly signify christmas? i dont think they had any next to the manger....:rolleyes:

They do at my house!

I don't think they had LED tinsel and plastic Santa Clauses either. But I heard Joseph went to Jareds!

road kill
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
They do at my house!

I don't think they had LED tinsel and plastic Santa Clauses either. But I heard Joseph went to Jareds!

Off topic, sorry, but our local grocery store is selling Green & Gold Poinsettia's
(GB Packers colors:rolleyes:)
Little over the top........

RK

YardleyLabs
12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
If anything, Nina appeared to be mocking the Justice Department and other PC-types who, I suspect, dubbed it a "holiday party" in deference to those who do not celebrate Christmas (still a significant percentage of Americans). Given that it is impossible to go anywhere without being inundated with Christmas messages, or watch anything on TV without being similarly alerted to the miracle of 0 CE, I can understand how hard it is is to find evidence of the alleged conspiracy against Christmas. I wonder what percentage of those who express outrage at failures to show respect for Christmas are guilty of showing a similar disrespect for holidays of other religions.

BTW, one of Nina's annual radio traditions is to go through her family's recipes for Christmas specials during the week before Christmas. She has always made it clear that Christmas is a very important holiday for her personally.

Buzz
12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I wonder what percentage of those who express outrage at failures to show respect for Christmas are guilty of showing a similar disrespect for holidays of other religions.

Bu, bu, but, those other religions are illegitimate! ;-)

road kill
12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
If anything, Nina appeared to be mocking the Justice Department and other PC-types who, I suspect, dubbed it a "holiday party" in deference to those who do not celebrate Christmas (still a significant percentage of Americans). Given that it is impossible to go anywhere without being inundated with Christmas messages, or watch anything on TV without being similarly alerted to the miracle of 0 CE, I can understand how hard it is is to find evidence of the alleged conspiracy against Christmas. I wonder what percentage of those who express outrage at failures to show respect for Christmas are guilty of showing a similar disrespect for holidays of other religions.

Well, since you are speculating, and nothing more, I would speculate it is a very low percentage of people who celebrate Christmas that disrespect those who celebrate something else.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!:D

RK

road kill
12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Bu, bu, but, those other religions are illegitimate! ;-)
Gee Buzz, I am shocked that you would say that......or are you being an

RK

dnf777
12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

BTW, one of Nina's annual radio traditions is to go through her family's recipes for Christmas specials during the week before Christmas. She has always made it clear that Christmas is a very important holiday for her personally.

Don't fall for her guises Jeff! She's a Christmas infiltrator! :rolleyes:
Those cookies of hers are probably laced with athiest dust. (whatever that is)

sandyg
12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

For a guy who professes to be a middle-of-the-road independent you sure got your panties in a bunch over this!

But in your head, filled with hate for anything conservative, you KNOW that it was said with an air of sarcasm, you KNOW whether or not she hates Christmas, you KNOW what she would have said, and you KNOW she "made sure" to include Christmas. You KNOW that Poinsettias are the Christian symbol for Christmas.

Can you guess what I KNOW about you?

Nina Totenberg quotes:
"I want to say one thing about the budget that didn’t get passed, the omnibus bill. You know, we talk a lot about – we just passed this huge tax cut in part because business said, you know, we have to plan, we have to know what kind of tax cuts we have. Well, these agencies, including the Defense Department, don't know how much money they've got and for what. And I was at – forgive the expression – a Christmas party at the Department of Justice and people actually were really worried about this," NPR's Nina Totenberg said on PBS this weekend.

[On Senator Jesse Helms ] I think he ought to be worried about what’s going on in the Good Lord’s mind, because if there is retributive justice, he’ll get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will.
Sourced
Inside Washington, PBS, July 8, 1995..

[On General William Boykin ] I hope he’s not long for this world.
Sourced
After a rebuke, corrected herself: “No, no. I mean, in his job. In his job, in his job, please, in his job.”. Inside Washington , PBS, October 10, 2003. Partial Transcript by NPR ombudsman.

dnf777
12-21-2010, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=sandyg;720733]

I wrote a reply, but then thought better and deleted it.

I'll just say,

Have a Merry Christmas!

david gibson
12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
They do at my house!

they used to be strictly a christmas decoration, now i see them sold as "holiday poinsettias" the war on christmas continues!

YardleyLabs
12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
For a guy who professes to be a middle-of-the-road independent you sure got your panties in a bunch over this!

But in your head, filled with hate for anything conservative, you KNOW that it was said with an air of sarcasm, you KNOW whether or not she hates Christmas, you KNOW what she would have said, and you KNOW she "made sure" to include Christmas. You KNOW that Poinsettias are the Christian symbol for Christmas.

Nina Totenberg quotes:
"I want to say one thing about the budget that didn’t get passed, the omnibus bill. You know, we talk a lot about – we just passed this huge tax cut in part because business said, you know, we have to plan, we have to know what kind of tax cuts we have. Well, these agencies, including the Defense Department, don't know how much money they've got and for what. And I was at – forgive the expression – a Christmas party at the Department of Justice and people actually were really worried about this," NPR's Nina Totenberg said on PBS this weekend.

[On Senator Jesse Helms ] I think he ought to be worried about what’s going on in the Good Lord’s mind, because if there is retributive justice, he’ll get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will.
Sourced
Inside Washington, PBS, July 8, 1995..

[On General William Boykin ] I hope he’s not long for this world.
Sourced
After a rebuke, corrected herself: “No, no. I mean, in his job. In his job, in his job, please, in his job.”. Inside Washington , PBS, October 10, 2003. Partial Transcript by NPR ombudsman.
What do her comments about helms and Boykin have to do with Christmas? No one who has listened to Tottenberg over the years could have any doubt about her feelings about Christmas. I suspect that includes those at "Clear Politics" who have always been willing to sacrifice any semblance of fact in support of their own warped vision of the world. The more interesting question is why propagandists such as those at "Clear Politics", believe it is so important to paint such distorted pictures of those with whom they disagree. Is it fear that their conservative agenda cannot withstand any thoughtful scrutiny?

road kill
12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
What do her comments about helms and Boykin have to do with Christmas? No one who has listened to Tottenberg over the years could have any doubt about her feelings about Christmas. I suspect that includes those at "Clear Politics" who have always been willing to sacrifice any semblance of fact in support of their own warped vision of the world. The more interesting question is why propagandists such as those at "Clear Politics", believe it is so important to paint such distorted pictures of those with whom they disagree. Is it fear that their conservative agenda cannot withstand any thoughtful scrutiny?
Do you know of any, or is idealistic hateful cheap shots your idea of "thoughtful scrutiny?"

Which is nothing more than opinion.

RK

dnf777
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
they used to be strictly a christmas decoration, now i see them sold as "holiday poinsettias" the war on christmas continues!

WHAT!?

I'm OUTRAGED!!!!

How DARE a non-Christian display a poinsettia!!!!!!!!

I'm writing my congressman to introduce a bill that would expressely prohibit the use, display or even mention of Poinsettias by any non-Christian, gay, foreign, or othe person of dubious constitution!

The war is on!! This is a call to arms!!!!

Merry Christmas, Dave. ;-)

subroc
12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
lefties, and those that like to feature themselves as centrists or former conservatives, why do "you" believe she felt a need or responsibility to apologize for or use the qualifier, "forgive the expression," when describing the party as a Christmas Party?

My view of the whole thing is it is an ingrained belief that the word Chrismas is not allowed or holds a place similar to the "N" word in the company of the elite as well as many that populate the main stream left.

david gibson
12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I wonder what percentage of those who express outrage at failures to show respect for Christmas are guilty of showing a similar disrespect for holidays of other religions.

i dont recall hearing anyone demand that muslims quit calling ramadan ramadan or asians to quit calling tet tet. cinco de mayo is a great day for " 'ritas and 'jitas" in these parts, just as long as the mexican flag is not flown above ours.

and i have yet to hear anyone say one bad thing about "Festivus" - for the rest of us.

and even further, your analogy is inaccurate. to be equivalent one would have to travel to a muslim country and then demand an end to celebrating ramadan. good luck with that.

road kill
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
WHAT!?

I'm OUTRAGED!!!!

I'm writing my congressman to introduce a bill that would expressely prohibit the use, display or even mention of Poinsettias by any non-Christian, gay, foreign, or othe person of dubious constitution!

Your interpretive skills are remarkable!!!

RK

subroc
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas
Christmas

Buzz
12-21-2010, 11:01 AM
WHAT!?

I'm OUTRAGED!!!!

Would it help if they were atheist Packer Fans?;-)

Off topic, sorry, but our local grocery store is selling Green & Gold Poinsettia's
(GB Packers colors:rolleyes:)
Little over the top........

RK

road kill
12-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Would it help if they were atheist Packer Fans?;-)

No it wouldn't.
Green & Gold Poinsettias are silly!!
(to me anyways, the claim is they sold over 500 of them)

RK

david gibson
12-21-2010, 11:10 AM
more attacks on christmas:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=126671&catid=188

candy canes are weapons because they can be sharpened by sucking on them then used to stab people..LOL!!

sandyg
12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
more attacks on christmas:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=126671&catid=188

candy canes are weapons because they can be sharpened by sucking on them then used to stab people..LOL!!

I can't wait to read how the "independents" spin this!!! C'mon dnf, enlighten us about what you KNOW about this incident.

david gibson
12-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I can't wait to read how the "independents" spin this!!! C'mon dnf, enlighten us about what you KNOW about this incident.

maybe they were throwing the tiny candy canes like ninja stars?

david gibson
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
here's another one.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/8214222/Christmas-trees-make-non-Christians-feel-excluded.html

Roger Perry
12-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Looks like the righties here fell for another one hook line and sinker.:lol::monkey:

subroc
12-21-2010, 12:56 PM
left wing intolerance continues to rear its ugly head.

Buzz
12-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Yup, I know this is all come kind of concerted attack on Christmas by the loony liberal left.

What an outrage!

I guess in a country of 300 million people it's shocking that anyone can find any examples of overzealous school administrators (or overzealous kids), or anyone who thinks that Christmas celebration is a conspiracy to make them feel bad about themselves.

YardleyLabs
12-21-2010, 04:18 PM
The reality is that Christmas celebrations, in the broadest sense of the word, are treated with greater regard -- both officially and unofficially -- in public displays, laws, and statements than any other religious or secular holiday in the country. The claims of "discrimination" against Christmas are founded on the apprent belief that everything must center on Christmas as a religious holiday in governmental, commercial and private activities. Prior threads in this forum have attacked every activity that gives any appearance of celebrating non-Christian events or activities during this "special" period. The fact that most Americans are Christian does not make us a Christian country. We are a secular country inhabited by citizens who are primarily religious, but with different beliefs, all of which are deemed equal under the law. That is a notion that is fundamentally rejected by FOX and its sycophants of the right. Fortunately, our founding fathers were smarter than Rupert Murdoch's henchmen.

road kill
12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
The reality is that Christmas celebrations, in the broadest sense of the word, are treated with greater regard -- both officially and unofficially -- in public displays, laws, and statements than any other religious or secular holiday in the country. The claims of "discrimination" against Christmas are founded on the apprent belief that everything must center on Christmas as a religious holiday in governmental, commercial and private activities. Prior threads in this forum have attacked every activity that gives any appearance of celebrating non-Christian events or activities during this "special" period. The fact that most Americans are Christian does not make us a Christian country. We are a secular country inhabited by citizens who are primarily religious, but with different beliefs, all of which are deemed equal under the law. That is a notion that is fundamentally rejected by FOX and its sycophants of the right. Fortunately, our founding fathers were smarter than Rupert Murdoch's henchmen.
BULL!!

As usual, your opinion, nothing more.

RK

YardleyLabs
12-21-2010, 04:35 PM
BULL!!

As usual, your opinion, nothing more.

RK
Pick your measure. What other religious holiday is celebrated as a natonal holiday? What other religious holiday receives as much media attention and commercial attention? Despite restrictions on religious activities, what other religious holiday receives as much attention in public schools across the country? What other religious holiday becomes the foundation of street decorations and parades in virtually every small town in America (My town has been decorated to the teeth on Main St for the last four weeks)? None of that is simply a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact.

JDogger
12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but the quote goes something like this,

"From a commercial point of view, if Christmas did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it."

Sad, but true. :(

Anyway, Merry Christmas RTF'ers. :)

JD

sandyg
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM

We are a Christian nation. The pilgrims at Jamestown came here to escape religious persecution in England. Every one of our founding fathers was Christian, they prayed to God that they were doing the right thing when they wrote the Constitution. There is no separation of church and state, and the facades of many of our federal buildings contain Christian symbolism.

To deny any of the above is to deny facts. You may not like it, but there's no getting away from it, we are a Christian nation.

dnf777
12-21-2010, 09:48 PM
To deny any of the above is to deny facts. You may not like it, but there's no getting away from it, we are a Christian nation.

How would Jesus feel about denying health care to the 9-11 responders?

Just wondering.

I heard he was a real tight-wad when it came to helping the sick and hungry. It was a local Jerusalem issue. Nothing for the Son of God to worry about...

sandyg
12-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Just wondering.

I heard he was a real tight-wad when it came to helping the sick and hungry. It was a local Jerusalem issue. Nothing for the Son of God to worry about...

Go read my response to you on the "healthcare for first responders" thread. I hope you can find the way through your trail of tears.

dnf777
12-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Go read my response to you on the "healthcare for first responders" thread. I hope you can find the way through your trail of tears.

I did. I'm still laughing!

Alice.....You're the greatest!

david gibson
12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Pick your measure. What other religious holiday is celebrated as a natonal holiday? What other religious holiday receives as much media attention and commercial attention? Despite restrictions on religious activities, what other religious holiday receives as much attention in public schools across the country? What other religious holiday becomes the foundation of street decorations and parades in virtually every small town in America (My town has been decorated to the teeth on Main St for the last four weeks)? None of that is simply a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact.

what other religious holiday is celebrated by those who fought and created this nation? IOW what religion were the founders?

last i heard there were no muslims or buddhists or wiccans following the original George across the Potomac....may have been a few jewish soldiers but thats it.

so why are you surprised that Christmas is the only religious holiday that receives so much attention?

and my final question - what religious holiday receives the most negative attention in this country???

Buzz
12-21-2010, 11:26 PM
what other religious holiday is celebrated by those who fought and created this nation? IOW what religion were the founders?

last i heard there were no muslims or buddhists or wiccans following the original George across the Potomac....may have been a few jewish soldiers but thats it.

so why are you surprised that Christmas is the only religious holiday that receives so much attention?

and my final question - what religious holiday receives the most negative attention in this country???

1. Easter comes to mind...

2. Ramadan?

david gibson
12-21-2010, 11:40 PM
1. Easter comes to mind...

2. Ramadan?

1) i meant from another religion.

2) really? i never hear any negative vibes over ramadan. no one tells them to eat during the day or to take down their ramadan tree. and i live in a city full of muslims and even muslim leaders on the pro sports teams as well as a very healthy population of southern rednecks that would be the first to complain. never a peep.

subroc
12-22-2010, 04:04 AM

2. Ramadan?

Could you site examples where Ramadan receives negative attention?

road kill
12-22-2010, 05:44 AM

Just wondering.

Allah should take care of them, since he is the peaceful one whose name that event was done in!!

No one on earth does more to take care of the sick and hungry than us.
Try a different tack.

2 pretty lame arguments.

RK

BrianW
12-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Happy Ramahanakwanzmas to all! ;) :D

dnf777
12-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Try a different tack.

RK

Apparently not in this case.

I say divert Ethiopian AIDS money to the first responders until they're cared for....then resume AZT ddI to Africa.

This is one area I will be PROUD to know my tax dollars are being allocated.

Franco
12-22-2010, 09:00 AM
IOW what religion were the founders?

First, I have no problem with folks celebrating Christmas.

But, lets don't forget that our most influential Founding Fathers were Deist, and Deist have no religious holidays. Men like Jefferson, Paine, Adams and to some extent Washington were all Deist.

The fact that Thomas Jefferson was a Deist is why we have no state sponsored religion. This from the man who single-handedly wrote the Declaration of Independence. In Jefferson's Bible, he does not reference a god.

You sight George Washington crossing the Potomac. Washington vaccilated between Deism and his Christian religion.

depittydawg
12-22-2010, 09:14 AM

Sounds a bit absurd to me. What a ridiculous thing to tie your shorts into a knot over...

depittydawg
12-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Try a different tack.

RK

In absolute terms this is correct. But we rank 19th in Percent of Income. Nothing to be proud of. Certainly nothing to brag about. Just sayin. :)

Large countries scored relatively high on the preceding list, because they have more citizens and thus more money. To provide an alternative perspective, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development also lists countries by the amount of money they give as a percentage of their gross national income. This list is as follows:[2]
1. Sweden - 1.12%
2. Norway - 1.06%
3. Luxembourg - 1.01%
4. Denmark - 0.88%
5. Netherlands - 0.82%
6. Belgium - 0.55%
7. Finland - 0.54%
8. Ireland - 0.54%
9. United Kingdom - 0.52%
10. Switzerland - 0.47%
11. France- 0.46%
12. Spain - 0.46%
13. Germany - 0.35%
14. Canada - 0.30%
15. Austria - 0.30%
16. Australia - 0.29%
17. New Zealand - 0.29%
18. Portugal - 0.23%
19. United States - 0.20%
20. Greece - 0.19%
21. Japan - 0.18%
22. Italy - 0.16%
23. South Korea - 0.10%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_charitable_countries

road kill
12-22-2010, 09:24 AM
In absolute terms this is correct. But we rank 19th in Percent of Income. Nothing to be proud of. Certainly nothing to brag about. Just sayin. :)

Large countries scored relatively high on the preceding list, because they have more citizens and thus more money. To provide an alternative perspective, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development also lists countries by the amount of money they give as a percentage of their gross national income. This list is as follows:[2]
1. Sweden - 1.12%
2. Norway - 1.06%
3. Luxembourg - 1.01%
4. Denmark - 0.88%
5. Netherlands - 0.82%
6. Belgium - 0.55%
7. Finland - 0.54%
8. Ireland - 0.54%
10. Switzerland - 0.47%
11. France- 0.46%
12. Spain - 0.46%
13. Germany - 0.35%
14. Canada - 0.30%
15. Austria - 0.30%
16. Australia - 0.29%
17. New Zealand - 0.29%
18. Portugal - 0.23%
20. Greece - 0.19%
21. Japan - 0.18%
22. Italy - 0.16%
23. South Korea - 0.10%

America is just awful isn't it??

I wonder what % of your pay you donated to charity last year?
And beyond personal donations, look what our Government gives out to others.
Just sayin'.........

RK

depittydawg
12-22-2010, 09:27 AM

A testimony not the any religious reference of the holiday, but to the commercialization of the holiday. America has only one religion and only one god, that is MONEY. Christmas in America, and most of the world, is more about sales and profits than it is about the birth of Jesus. Not saying it's that way in every household, or every heart, but as a nation, it's what we are. :)

depittydawg
12-22-2010, 09:45 AM
America is just awful isn't it??

I wonder what % of your pay you donated to charity last year?
And beyond personal donations, look what our Government gives out to others.
Just sayin'.........

RK

I believe the data includes both public and private donations. I don't believe America is awful, but I do think we often think were are a beacon on the hill because somebody told us so, not because we are. Sometimes it's important to look at the facts. This is one of them.

road kill
12-22-2010, 09:53 AM
I believe the data includes both public and private donations. I don't believe America is awful, but I do think we often think were are a beacon on the hill because somebody told us so, not because we are. Sometimes it's important to look at the facts. This is one of them.
Well, to counter that, you deny that we are the "beacon on the hill" because someone told you we aren't.

If it's so bad here, why so many people fighting to get here??
Our poor (welfare even) have cell phones, hi-speed internet & cable TV.
I would like a list or number of how many people are starving in the USA.
In regard to giving money to charity (unemployment for 2+ years, career welfare, food stamps) noone compares.

RK

subroc
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM

1. Sweden - 1.12%
2. Norway - 1.06%
3. Luxembourg - 1.01%
4. Denmark - 0.88%
5. Netherlands - 0.82%
6. Belgium - 0.55%
7. Finland - 0.54%
8. Ireland - 0.54%
10. Switzerland - 0.47%
11. France- 0.46%
12. Spain - 0.46%
13. Germany - 0.35%
14. Canada - 0.30%
15. Austria - 0.30%
16. Australia - 0.29%
17. New Zealand - 0.29%
18. Portugal - 0.23%
20. Greece - 0.19%
21. Japan - 0.18%
22. Italy - 0.16%
23. South Korea - 0.10%

One of those left wiing canards that tries to paint the United States badly. Is that nations or individuals? who is getting the money? Are we giving at home as well? One stat amoung many that measure charitable giving? Does it include NGOs? Are religious charities that perform work measured? Just a silly stat...

http://www.nps.gov/partnerships/fundraising_individuals_statistics.htm

Fromthe below link:

Charitable giving accounted for 2.1% of gross domestic product in 2009.

http://www.nptrust.org/philanthropy/philanthropy_stats.asp

BTW, I doubt the cost of military aid gets included in any of those stats.

Buzz
12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey, we're giving the rest of the world all or our manufacturing jobs!

Isn't that enough?

This is completely off topic of this thread, but it goes with my comment so I'll post it for anyone who might be interested.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-01/how-to-make-an-american-job-before-it-s-too-late-andy-grove.html

Here is a quote from the first few paragraphs of the article:

Recently an acquaintance at the next table in a Palo Alto, California, restaurant introduced me to his companions: three young venture capitalists from China. They explained, with visible excitement, that they were touring promising companies in Silicon Valley. I’ve lived in the Valley a long time, and usually when I see how the region has become such a draw for global investments, I feel a little proud.

Not this time. I left the restaurant unsettled. Something didn’t add up. Bay Area unemployment is even higher than the 9.7 percent national average. Clearly, the great Silicon Valley innovation machine hasn’t been creating many jobs of late -- unless you are counting Asia, where American technology companies have been adding jobs like mad for years.

The underlying problem isn’t simply lower Asian costs. It’s our own misplaced faith in the power of startups to create U.S. jobs. Americans love the idea of the guys in the garage inventing something that changes the world. New York Times columnist Thomas L. Friedman recently encapsulated this view in a piece called “Start-Ups, Not Bailouts.” His argument: Let tired old companies that do commodity manufacturing die if they have to. If Washington really wants to create jobs, he wrote, it should back startups.

Mythical Moment

Friedman is wrong. Startups are a wonderful thing, but they cannot by themselves increase tech employment. Equally important is what comes after that mythical moment of creation in the garage, as technology goes from prototype to mass production. This is the phase where companies scale up. They work out design details, figure out how to make things affordably, build factories, and hire people by the thousands. Scaling is hard work but necessary to make innovation matter.

I used to think that Friedman was a smart guy. But he should have stayed in an area that he knows, Middle East Politics. Like most politicians he's never created a job on the front lines, never worked in manufacturing or in any engineering capacity. I have no idea what makes him or anyone else believe that he's an expert... I don't have a bit of interest in listening to anyone who hasn't taken a single product from conception to the market.

Roger Perry
12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Well, to counter that, you deny that we are the "beacon on the hill" because someone told you we aren't.

If it's so bad here, why so many people fighting to get here??
Our poor (welfare even) have cell phones, hi-speed internet & cable TV.
I would like a list or number of how many people are starving in the USA.
In regard to giving money to charity (unemployment for 2+ years, career welfare, food stamps) noone compares.

RK

How many people are starving in the usa?

Vital Statistics (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=L&ai=Byha8lS0STZiRBNzG6Qb63fT5AcKv3NMBup2MtRfAjbcBoP 4KEAEYASCm6rMFKAI4AFCJgKf4-_____8BYMn-s4fco8QQsgEOd3d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb23IAQHaAUZodHRwOi8vd3 d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb20vcXVlc3Rpb24vaG93LW1hbnktcGVvcGxl LWFyZS1zdGFydmluZy1pbi10aGUtdXNhqQJXAaP00dW5PqgDAe gD5wjoA_4D9QMAAABE&num=1&sig=AGiWqtye1BvMXuV_GNc88YdRY6N9KHhr7g&client=ca-pub-1663978557297442&adurl=http://www.caci.co.uk/site_reporter)
Download your free demographic reports for any area
Ads by Google (http://www.google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py%3Fcontact%3Dabg_afc%26url%3Dhttp://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-people-are-starving-in-the-usa%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dca-pub-1663978557297442%26adU%3Dwww.caci.co.uk/site_reporter%26adT%3DVital%2BStatistics%26adU%3Dw ww.Groupon.com/Fort-Lauderdale%26adT%3DFort%2BLauderdale%2BCoupons%26g l%3DUS&usg=AFQjCNHKdZVBL1rAmLr7ys-FFcT4N_npYA) www.caci.co.uk/site_reporter (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=L&ai=Byha8lS0STZiRBNzG6Qb63fT5AcKv3NMBup2MtRfAjbcBoP 4KEAEYASCm6rMFKAI4AFCJgKf4-_____8BYMn-s4fco8QQsgEOd3d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb23IAQHaAUZodHRwOi8vd3 d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb20vcXVlc3Rpb24vaG93LW1hbnktcGVvcGxl LWFyZS1zdGFydmluZy1pbi10aGUtdXNhqQJXAaP00dW5PqgDAe gD5wjoA_4D9QMAAABE&num=1&sig=AGiWqtye1BvMXuV_GNc88YdRY6N9KHhr7g&client=ca-pub-1663978557297442&adurl=http://www.caci.co.uk/site_reporter)

3.5 million people in the U.S., 39% children, are currently homelessness every year. 60% are single mothers with children.

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-people-are-starving-in-the-usa

road kill
12-22-2010, 11:48 AM
How many people are starving in the usa?

Vital Statistics (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=L&ai=Byha8lS0STZiRBNzG6Qb63fT5AcKv3NMBup2MtRfAjbcBoP 4KEAEYASCm6rMFKAI4AFCJgKf4-_____8BYMn-s4fco8QQsgEOd3d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb23IAQHaAUZodHRwOi8vd3 d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb20vcXVlc3Rpb24vaG93LW1hbnktcGVvcGxl LWFyZS1zdGFydmluZy1pbi10aGUtdXNhqQJXAaP00dW5PqgDAe gD5wjoA_4D9QMAAABE&num=1&sig=AGiWqtye1BvMXuV_GNc88YdRY6N9KHhr7g&client=ca-pub-1663978557297442&adurl=http://www.caci.co.uk/site_reporter)
Download your free demographic reports for any area
Ads by Google (http://www.google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py%3Fcontact%3Dabg_afc%26url%3Dhttp://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-people-are-starving-in-the-usa%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dca-pub-1663978557297442%26adU%3Dwww.caci.co.uk/site_reporter%26adT%3DVital%2BStatistics%26adU%3Dw ww.Groupon.com/Fort-Lauderdale%26adT%3DFort%2BLauderdale%2BCoupons%26g l%3DUS&usg=AFQjCNHKdZVBL1rAmLr7ys-FFcT4N_npYA) www.caci.co.uk/site_reporter (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=L&ai=Byha8lS0STZiRBNzG6Qb63fT5AcKv3NMBup2MtRfAjbcBoP 4KEAEYASCm6rMFKAI4AFCJgKf4-_____8BYMn-s4fco8QQsgEOd3d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb23IAQHaAUZodHRwOi8vd3 d3LmNoYWNoYS5jb20vcXVlc3Rpb24vaG93LW1hbnktcGVvcGxl LWFyZS1zdGFydmluZy1pbi10aGUtdXNhqQJXAaP00dW5PqgDAe gD5wjoA_4D9QMAAABE&num=1&sig=AGiWqtye1BvMXuV_GNc88YdRY6N9KHhr7g&client=ca-pub-1663978557297442&adurl=http://www.caci.co.uk/site_reporter)

3.5 million people in the U.S., 39% children, are currently homelessness every year. 60% are single mothers with children.

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-people-are-starving-in-the-usa

Roger,
Not homeless, STARVING.

That means they get NO food.

RK

Roger Perry
12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Roger,
Not homeless, STARVING.

That means they get NO food.

RK
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to have a place to live (a residence) in order to get welfare or food stamps??????????????? If the homeless got foodstamps they would not be out on a street corner with a cardboard sign asking for money for food.