PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Plans??

road kill
12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Anyone got any cool stuff planned for Christmas??
My kids will be home, we ( my kids and the redhead) are going on a 10 bird hunt with Elvis at the helm, then Christmas Eve Mass Friday night and a big family ruckus after.
Lot's of good chow and there is usually some JD on hand.:D
The BS & laughter will be flowing....

What ever you do, I hope each of you have a wonderful holiday season.

And remember to be gratefull for what you have, not obsessed with what you don't have.

May each of you have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
What ever that means to you.

:cool::black:
RK & Elvis

Franco
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
My kids will be home, we ( my kids and the redhead) are going on a 10 bird hunt with Elvis at the helm, then Christmas Eve Mass Friday night and a big family ruckus after.

And remember to be gratefull for what you have, not obsessed with what you don't have.

May each of you have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

RK & Elvis

I don't know how cool my plans are but I have a Thanksgiving and Christmas routine. Saturday, I'll wear my Saints/Santa hat and visit my favorite nursing home, one run by the Marionite Sisters Of Holy Cross. Many of thier residents are WW2 veterans and I really enjoy hearing thier stories though I've heard them several times already. I think that I get more out of the visit than they do. I bring miniuture Pecan Pies and Lemon Pies and hand them out, then sit around and drink some coffee with them. Later in the day, I'll have dinner with my daughter and select family.

However, Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday I'll either be in a duck or goose pit!;-)

road kill
12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't know how cool my plans are but I have a Thanksgiving and Christmas routine. Saturday, I'll wear my Saints/Santa hat and visit my favorite nursing home, one run by the Marionite Sisters Of Holy Cross. Many of thier residents are WW2 veterans and I really enjoy hearing thier stories though I've heard them several times already. I think that I get more out of the visit than they do. I bring miniuture Pecan Pies and Lemon Pies and hand them out, then sit around and drink some coffee with them. Later in the day, I'll have dinner with my daughter and select family.

However, Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday I'll either be in a duck or goose pit!;-)

AWESOME!!

Thank you for doing that for the vets!!

stan b

charly_t
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Just looking forward to watching most of the family open their Christmas gifts Christmas evening.

dnf777
12-21-2010, 03:48 PM

You are a gentleman, and I hope to meet you someday.
Have a Merry Christmas.

If you're really good, maybe Santa will bring you a Steeler Jersey.... :o

road kill
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
You are a gentleman, and I hope to meet you someday.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Steelers.....pffffft....the NFL started last year.

Don't be bringin' up the Steel Curtain and all that old time stuff.

Ham, Lambert & Russell regards.........

RK

Franco
12-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Only if it has Louisiana native Terry Bradshaw's name & number;-)

paul young
12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
my wife and i will be steelhead fishing for 5 days and duck hunting for 4 days. we had our families over for a combined Christmas and thanksgiving get-together on Sunday. just us and the dogs for the holidays!!!!-Paul

starjack
12-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Both of my sons will be home. We will cook ribeyes on the grill Have a few old fashions open the gift on christmas eve. Church on xmas day and off to my redheads side of the family. But before that got a invite to go on a bird hunt at wolf river game farm by the owner himself. SO Seeing the 24th is my birthday thats my birthday present to my self. I know the dogs wont mind ethier MERRY XMAS!!!!!!

dnf777
12-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Steelers.....pffffft....the NFL started last year.

Don't be bringin' up the Steel Curtain and all that old time stuff.

Ham, Lambert & Russell regards.........

RK

PM sent :)

Wayne Beck
12-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Im watching the possibility of a snow storm to hit christmas afternoon into the next day. if that happens I have to go plow snow... If mother nature holds off on me i will get my grandmother, go to my inlaws and have a big christmas brunch. Then I usually head home and start cooking dinner..

I agree with RK.. Pfft! Atleast out on this side of the state we support the dog killin QB

Blackstone
12-21-2010, 06:49 PM
This will be the first time since I moved to KS 6 years ago that I haven’t gone back home for Christmas. Circumstances don’t permit this year, so I plan to load up my dogs and chase pheasant and quail as much as many days as possible. I’m going out tomorrow morning to see if I can shoot a few quail over my 7 month old pup.

depittydawg
12-21-2010, 08:22 PM
]

The only hunting and fishing on Christmas we do is out of the fridge. Kids home from college. We'll have a good Christmas morning and dinner with the extended family. Got to ask my nephew why he didn't get to play in the civil war against the Ducks. He's been starting middle linebacker for the Beavers all year but for some reason, he didn't play a down in the final game, nationally televised againt the #2 Ducks !!@@!# Go figure.

Marvin S
12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Xmas Eve dinner for all, about 20, at our house this year - open the Grandkids presents - Xmas Day at the Eagles for lunch.

Did the quail thing last weekend - many birds - blooded both barrels of the new 28 O/U - walked a lot in the foot deep snow - actually held up better than the dog - he's still stiff - I'm not.

All of you have a Happy Holiday :cool: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M&K's Retrievers
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/mikewhit_01/kids112610587.jpg

We are spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with these 5 knotheads. They won't make a very good basketball team, but they all have an interest in dogs.

Merry Christmas all! :p

david gibson
12-21-2010, 10:36 PM

We are spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with these 5 knotheads. They won't make a very good basketball team, but they all have an interest in dogs.

wow mike, what a nice brood there dude!

david gibson
12-21-2010, 10:38 PM
The only hunting and fishing on Christmas we do is out of the fridge. Kids home from college. We'll have a good Christmas morning and dinner with the extended family. Got to ask my nephew why he didn't get to play in the civil war against the Ducks. He's been starting middle linebacker for the Beavers all year but for some reason, he didn't play a down in the final game, nationally televised againt the #2 Ducks !!@@!# Go figure.

the coach probably heard he had an uncle that posted a lot of tripe in RTF... ;-)

road kill
12-22-2010, 06:40 AM

WOW!!!!
SWEET!!

Christmas morning will be insane at Gram Pa's house!!;-)

I am envious..........

RK

BonMallari
12-22-2010, 07:14 AM
I have to work all weekend but my gal pal Dana (middle) went to Mission Viejo to visit her grandmother and aunt (right, left)and the rest of her family..I sent her with two bottles of Baileys Irish cream and two dozen chocolate mini bundt cakes....they sent me this picture to let me know my efforts were appreciated...party on ladies :D:D

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/DanaSoCal.jpg

ducknwork
12-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Gotta make it through today at work, then I am off til Monday. Going to shoot at some ducks Thurs and Fri...I can't wait to see how excited my older 2 kids (2 and almost 4) get on Christmas morning. We were up until 2 am wrapping presents last night.:(

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas!

PS...don't forget the reason for the season...

M&K's Retrievers
12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
RK[/B]

Not to mention loud.:D

BrianW
12-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Nothing for Christmas Eve besides the yearly pizza but bothe the girls still live close so they'll be out on Christmas Day for a "finger foods" dinner.

Hoping we get a treat like last year when a herd of elk came in on Christmas Day and spent about 3 hours out in the front pasture area (about 40 yards from the living room). My son-in-law had never seen one up close and was AMAZED at just how big they are! One of the cool things about living in northern Idaho!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/BKWelch/Elkpix12-25-09019.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/BKWelch/Elkpix12-25-09017.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/BKWelch/Elkpix12-25-09026.jpg

charly_t
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I just have to ask.......ages ? Are any of your grandchildren girls ? Looks like boys but the way that kids are dressed anymore I can't tell. Looks like a good ball team anyhow ( or the start of one ).

menmon
12-22-2010, 04:04 PM

May each of you have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

RK & Elvis

Prunning trees and it will be cool! No family, so don't have to mess with that. If I get finished, I'll be goose hunting. Field next to my place was full of snows this morning and it was foggy and clouds were low. Sucks to have to work!

M&K's Retrievers
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I just have to ask.......ages ? Are any of your grandchildren girls ? Looks like boys but the way that kids are dressed anymore I can't tell. Looks like a good ball team anyhow ( or the start of one ).

All boys. Three from our son and 2 from our daughter. Ages 6, 4, 3, 18 mos. & 16 mos.

Blackstone
12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Since I’m home alone this Christmas, my next door neighbors took pity on me and invited me over for Christmas dinner. They’re great friends, and it was really nice of them to invite me to share it with them.

But, I have my own feast planned for Christmas Eve. I shot a half dozen quail over my pup today. I’ll be having pan fried quail with an orange/apricot reduction sauce, sautéed kale with shallots, garlic & bacon, and a baked sweet potato. I also know a place that makes a great peach cobbler, so I think I’ll buy some from them for desert. I would make one myself, but then I would just sit here and eat the entire thing. Of course, there will be the obligatory vanilla ice cream to top it. I can’t wait!

depittydawg
12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Since I’m home alone this Christmas, my next door neighbors took pity on me and invited me over for Christmas dinner. They’re great friends, and it was really nice of them to invite me to share it with them.

But, I have my own feast planned for Christmas Eve. I shot a half dozen quail over my pup today. I’ll be having pan fried quail with an orange/apricot reduction sauce, sautéed kale with shallots, garlic & bacon, and a baked sweet potato. I also know a place that makes a great peach cobbler, so I think I’ll buy some from them for desert. I would make one myself, but then I would just sit here and eat the entire thing. Of course, there will be the obligatory vanilla ice cream to top it. I can’t wait!

Can I come over your house on Christmas eve????

Marvin S
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM

You sound like a guy that likes food, we need to plan a meal. We had our quail outing last weekend, what a blast, labs do make good quail dogs!!!!!!

Blackstone
12-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Dawg,

It would be a long trip for dinner, but come on down. I'll buy extra cobbler!

Blackstone
12-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Marvin,

I do like good food, and quail is one of my favorite game birds. It's a shame it takes so many to make a meal!

I've never hunted quail over a lab, but any dog that can find them is okay with me. Which species of quail were you hunting?

road kill
12-23-2010, 06:50 AM

Blackstone,I am sorry you are alone for Christmas.
If you were near you have an open invitation to the Team Elvis home.....ANYTIME!

That would also include a trip to our hunt club and the delight of working our dogs!

You are not really alone.....you have your hunting partner there at your side, and our thoughts.

Merry Christmas from;

:cool::black::D
RK, Elvis & the redhead

helencalif
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Usually Don and I would be taking the dogs with us to Folsom, CA, to enjoy Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after with our children and grandchildren. "Children?" is a bit misleading. Our "kids" are now middleage and their children are 17, 17, 19, and 19 (almost 20). We will miss enjoying the family gathering this year especially since we have not seen our grandson David Jr. since last summer. He is flying in from the Univ of Hawaii. We will see him after New Years and before he goes back to school.

But ... even though we will be alone this Christmas, we won't be quite "alone".

We are on Ruby Watch. Ruby is due to whelp on Dec. 26 (Shaq puppies). X-ray shows 9 for sure; our vet thinks there will be one or two more. With this size litter and a belly that is huge and hanging, Ruby may not make to the 26th. We are taking temps. Got a drop to an even 100 this morning; it was 100.7 yesterday morning so we are watching and waiting. Our vet checked her out on Monday and gave us the phone number where she will be on Christmas Day just in case things get rolling by then.

We will soon have 9+ little black cuddlers and puppy breath. It will be a great Christmas! The family is coming to see us (and the new puppies) for New Years.

Merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years to all of you.

Blackstone
12-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the invitation and kind thoughts. If I was closer, I just might take you up on it. My dogs and I will enjoy a quiet Christmas together and a few good days of hunting, so we’ll be okay. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.