PDA

View Full Version : A whole week??

dnf777
01-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Just heard on the morning news that congress has announced its suspending all legislative action for ONE WEEK to honor the shooting victims and to mourn.

Really? A week off?

We had a trooper shot and killed, and the police kept working. Our hospital had a patient shoot his wife and self in our ICU, and we all kept working. We've all witnessed tragedy and kept working. Who else gives themselves and and an entire institution a week off??

Don't mean to sound insensitive, but the vast majority of these people were a thousand miles away and many didn't even know the victims. A week off sounds a little excessive.

subroc
01-10-2011, 05:26 AM
not to worry, if they are not there, they can't screw anything up...

Franco
01-10-2011, 06:55 AM
What a phoney excuse! How many of them will actually mourn? Zero!

They really think the American people are stupid.

BonMallari
01-10-2011, 07:07 AM
What a phoney excuse! How many of them will actually mourn? Zero!

They really think the American people are stupid.

By and large they are....after all look at some of the people that are elected and currently in office

jbonnot03
01-10-2011, 07:20 AM
not to worry, if they are not there, they can't screw anything up...

+1

My thoughts exactly. They can't do any damage when they're not there. That's why their recesses are so great.

Ken Bora
01-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Really? A week off?

well at least that will save us a chunk of $$$$ not having to pay um all.

Buzz
01-10-2011, 08:08 AM
The ones who should take the week of are the pundits.

well at least that will save us a chunk of $$$$ not having to pay um all.

Nope, they're all on salary...

Wayne Beck
01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
hey dave dont forget the game commission officer shot and killed too.. I think we had 4 philly cops shot and killed here too.. i could use a week off?

mjh345
01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Just heard on the morning news that congress has announced its suspending all legislative action for ONE WEEK to honor the shooting victims and to mourn.

Really? A week off?

We had a trooper shot and killed, and the police kept working. Our hospital had a patient shoot his wife and self in our ICU, and we all kept working. We've all witnessed tragedy and kept working. Who else gives themselves and and an entire institution a week off??

Don't mean to sound insensitive, but the vast majority of these people were a thousand miles away and many didn't even know the victims. A week off sounds a little excessive.

While I agree with your sentiments; I know we would be better off if they took the whole year off.
Ship all 535 of em to some palatial all expenses paid island with Obama driving the boat, and I'd bet we would save a bundle.

I will imagine their first order of business when they return will be to pass some sybolic legislation making it illegal to threaten legislators; which will open a whole new can of worms. It is not like the idiot in AZ didn't already break a number of existing laws with his actions.

Their myopic mindset makes them believe that they can fix problems by passing new laws in situations like this where there are all ready plenty of laws in place. Laws, old or new don't prevent idiots from acting like idiots

dnf777
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I heard a talking head express concern that this nut job was allowed to buy a gun even after expressing disgust at the American Government!

If THAT were a law, between Bush and Obama, would anyone on POTUS be allowed to own a gun? Or any talking head or pundit in Washington, NYC, or LA???

I don't think that guy knew what he was saying. What's new?

ducknwork
01-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Really? A week off?

Surely you don't think that it would be a good idea to give all cops and hospital employees a week off? Bad example...

Give them a week off. They can't spend our money then. Have you considered that the week off may be being used for them to prepare themselves for defense or prevention of a similar attack on themselves? I don't think it is such a bad thing actually...

dnf777
01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Surely you don't think that it would be a good idea to give all cops and hospital employees a week off? Bad example...

Give them a week off. They can't spend our money then. Have you considered that the week off may be being used for them to prepare themselves for defense or prevention of a similar attack on themselves? I don't think it is such a bad thing actually...

The point was that most people wouldn't even think of asking for a week off unless it was a family member or close friend. Even then, most people I know actually want to get back to the same old routine of work to help them move on.

Our rep merely said he won't be publishing his schedule quite so far in advance, udder'nat, business as usual, meeting the people when home.

ducknwork
01-11-2011, 08:56 AM
The point was that most people wouldn't even think of asking for a week off unless it was a family member or close friend. Even then, most people I know actually want to get back to the same old routine of work to help them move on.

Our rep merely said he won't be publishing his schedule quite so far in advance, udder'nat, business as usual, meeting the people when home.

Most people don't have to worry about their own personal safety when a family member or close friend dies. The attack on Rep Gifford was not only an attack on her, but should be perceived and prepared for as if it was a legitimate threat on all of our Reps. It may take more than a day or two to get things in place for someone so high profile as them.

If someone attempted to murder someone in your family and you thought there was a chance your life was in danger as well, would you go back to work the next day, business as usual, or would you take a few days, maybe even--gasp--a week, to make sure that you were prepared and have done all you can to ensure your own personal safety?