PDA

View Full Version : home remedy for diarrhea?

kpolley
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Is there something I can give to help with diarrhea. I have a 11 week old puppy which acted sick(would not eat, looked depressed, diarrhea). Took to vet, ran a bunch of tests and she was given a shot of penicilin and a wormer. Less than 4 hours complete turn around. back to normal except still having diarrhea. Now my other two have diarrhea. Everybody looks good, is drinking and eating but loose as a goose. Called vet and she was willing to give me something for the puppy but nothing for the other two and said she didn't know of a home remedy I could try on the other two. Said its probably a viral bug that has to run its course. Is anyone awhere of something I can give to help slow the diarrhea or do I just let it run its course.

also does anybody have a feeding guidleline for how much chicken and rice would be a normal ration for a 60 lbs dog. Vet said 1 cup rice and 1/4 cup chicken, but how many cups of chicken and rice at a time?

Thanks in advance

gward
01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
100% canned pumpkin.

M&K's Retrievers
01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
TBS plain yogurt might help.

Mike Tome
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
BRAT... Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast.... obviously, not all will be consumed by some dogs, but I've given the rice and toast with success.

John Kelder
01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
cooked rice - pinch of garlic powder for flavor if they won't eat it plain .

2labs
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
What tests were ran? What type of wormer?

Dave

Jason Glavich
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
What tests were ran? What type of wormer?

Dave

That is a good start, if all the dogs have it then it might be something that needs checked out by the vet.

Also if the vet is willing to prescribe meds for the pup what would it be being treated for? If the vet knows what they are treating it would make it easier to fix. Instead of just prescribing immodium AD (generic name usually) for the loose stools.

FWIW I feed about 3 cups total to my dogs when they are on chicken and rice . Both are around 60lbs as well. i usually run a course or metrozinodole depending on what kind of stool promels they are having.
Just my .02

captainjack
01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
What are you feeding? If all dogs have the same problem, likely from the same source.

kpolley
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
thanks for the replies. Gonna try the wormer for Giarradia and an anti diarrhea remedy (dimagel). Also the yogurt. Hopefully this won't take long to run its course.

Doug Kennedy
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Tylan powder...God's gift to canine medicine

EdA
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
also does anybody have a feeding guidleline for how much chicken and rice would be a normal ration for a 60 lbs dog. Vet said 1 cup rice and 1/4 cup chicken, but how many cups of chicken and rice at a time?

Thanks in advance

The diet should be soft and bland, an easy homemade diet:

3 parts cooked rice, rice baby cereal, oatmeal, or cream of wheat to 1 part lean cooked ground beef, chicken, turkey, or lowfat cottage cheese

feed a total amount to reflect the approximate of food the dog normally gets per day, if you typically feed 4 cups of dog food then 3 cups cooked rice plus one cup of any of the above, lowfat cottage cheese is easier since you don't have to cook it

I prefer brown rice

loperamide (Imodium) 2 mg tablets, 1 tablet per 20-50 lbs every 8 to 12 hours but for no longer than 5 days

WRL
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Yes it is!

WRL

tom
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
loperamide (Imodium) 2 mg tablets, 1 tablet per 20-50 lbs every 8 to 12 hours but for no longer than 5 days

I was going to suggest Kaopectate, but will yeld to to the one that knows best. ;-)

Doc E
01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
1 large Tablespoon of a quality yogurt (unsweetened & unflavored) (Nancy's or Mountain High are great) and 1 large Tablespoon of 100% Pure canned pumpkin -- twice a day for 5 days beyond the ceasation of the antibiotic.
Then 1 T yogurt & 1 T pumpkin, twice a week from then on (great for the dogs). All the dogs can do this.

Granddaddy
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Canned pumpkin is the best I've ever seen. I've tried all the rest & pumpkin works right now, just cut back on the regular feed for a day or two to slow things down & give the intestines a break. Not pumpkin pie mix, but pure pumpkin, no additives. Cheap, great source of vitamin A too.

kpolley
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks again for all the information. I can't express the value of having access to more experienced/knowledgeable persons. Heres hoping to slowing things down!!!!

JusticeDog
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Yes! I also keep a bag of Science Diet For Sensitive Stomachs on hand- get at your local Petsmart, Petco or FleetFarm. It's the Off of the shelf version of Science Diet ID (the bland diet) you buy at the vet's office.

I barely cook for myself, so I don't do it for the dogs. This is easier to keep and take with you. If you normally feed 2 cups of kibble, then it's 2 cups of Science Diet.

A pinch of Tylan powder, and you're set to go!

Labs R Us
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
What is Tylan powder and where can it be bought? Never heard of it.

Peggy Snyder
01-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Tylan-pro-bios--gotta get that good bacteriabackintheir system to quit the runs

Peggy Snyder
01-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Get tylan at Revival animal health.

Jason Glavich
01-13-2011, 06:49 AM
I was going to suggest Kaopectate, but will yeld to to the one that knows best. ;-)

I was told by my vet that lopermide is ok wich is Immodium but Kaopectate when given to dogs can prolong the issue, he said it also can cause some medicines to not be absorbed properly. Not sure if it was true but I followed his guidance.

Bullet
01-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks again for all the information. I can't express the value of having access to more experienced/knowledgeable persons. Heres hoping to slowing things down!!!!

ditto that! Good luck with the runs Kevin. We need to get together sometime to talk about training or set up a weekend now that bird hunting is done here.

JusticeDog
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
What is Tylan powder and where can it be bought? Never heard of it.

Your vet can sell you some probably. Tylan is an antibiotic used for colitis and chronic diarrhea. Tylan may also decrease the symptoms by affecting the immune system in the intestine. It is in the same antibiotic family as tylosin, erythromycin. It is commonly used on farms to get the bacteria down in pigs and chickens. For pigs and chickens they put it in the water.

For dogs, a little pinch will do it. If they get diarrhea, I use it for about 5-7 days. in the spring, for the melt down, I put them all on it to avoid any difficulties. Having 8 dogs that live in the house, diarrhea is something I want to avoid.

The nice thing about the Tylan powder is, that unlike Flagyl, is i consider the "big gun", they don't tend to develop the antibiotic sensitivity, because the dose is so low.

I buy mine at Jeffers Pets online, if not the local farm store ie: Farm & Fleet, etc.

WRL
01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Tylan is the brand name. Its actually Tylosin Tartrate. I buy it at Revivalanimal.com.

Its original use was for respiratory infections in swine/cattle/fowl.

However, it has a secondary benefit of preventing symptoms of colitis.

Its also effective for kennel cough.

WRL

EdA
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Tylan is the brand name. Its actually Tylosin Tartrate. I buy it at Revivalanimal.com.

Its original use was for respiratory infections in swine/cattle/fowl.

However, it has a secondary benefit of preventing symptoms of colitis.

Its also effective for kennel cough.

WRL

Actually Elanco used to market it for dogs in tablet form mixed with a sulfa as Tylosin/sulfa tablets. Several years ago the FDA required veterinary pharmaceutical companies to prove that drugs in combination were more effective than the single ingredients given separately, the convenience for animal owners notwithstanding. Many of the combination drugs subsequently disappeared as the cost of research probably exceeded the profit from the product.

Tylan powder is labeled for use in chickens, turkeys, swine, and honey bees. The dosage for dogs for idiopathic colitis is 1/8 tsp Tylan powder for a 40 lb dog repeat every 8-12 hours. If there is a good response once per day dosing is generally adequate for control.

ErinsEdge
01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
You can also buy 40% Tylan which is for pet birds and it's lots cheaper and works just fine. I gave a bag to my pro for on the truck.

Granddaddy
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Your vet can sell you some probably. Tylan is an antibiotic used for colitis and chronic diarrhea. Tylan may also decrease the symptoms by affecting the immune system in the intestine. It is in the same antibiotic family as tylosin, erythromycin. It is commonly used on farms to get the bacteria down in pigs and chickens. For pigs and chickens they put it in the water.

For dogs, a little pinch will do it. If they get diarrhea, I use it for about 5-7 days. in the spring, for the melt down, I put them all on it to avoid any difficulties. Having 8 dogs that live in the house, diarrhea is something I want to avoid.

The nice thing about the Tylan powder is, that unlike Flagyl, is i consider the "big gun", they don't tend to develop the antibiotic sensitivity, because the dose is so low.

I buy mine at Jeffers Pets online, if not the local farm store ie: Farm & Fleet, etc.

So you are saying literally, you just put a "pinch" of powder on their food or something like that? Does this mean exact measuring is not particularly important with Tylan? I ask because this has been my reluctance to Tylan (grams, mgs, to oz based upon dog weight, etc) & other such products like ivomec, etc - i.e., measurements

ErinsEdge
01-13-2011, 11:20 AM
ivomec is different because dogs, especially certain breeds, can be overdosed.

EdA
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
So you are saying literally, you just put a "pinch" of powder on their food or something like that? Does this mean exact measuring is not particularly important with Tylan? I ask because this has been my reluctance to Tylan (grams, mgs, to oz based upon dog weight, etc) & other such products like ivomec, etc - i.e., measurements

Tylan powder contains approximately 325 mg per 1/8 teaspoonful

the dose for bacterial induced enteritis and idiopathic colitis is 10-20 mg/kg which translates to approximately 1/8 teaspoonful per 40 lb dog at 8 to 12 hour intervals

for chronic inflammatory bowel disease therapy may be required for up to 6 weeks

JusticeDog
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Ed's 1/8th of a teaspoon makes it easier for the anal retentive folks. I use a "pinch" because of cooking. You can also equate it to doing a line of cocaine, I guess, but I only know this from the movies. Tylan powder is bit bitter, so you don't want to use a great deal of it, or Fido will be unhappy. So my "pinches" when I look at a true 1/8th of a teasoon are a bit smaller than that... more likely a pencil eraser type of pinch.

So, if you're an exact kinda guy, Dave, use Dr. Ed's 1/8th of a teaspoon. :D

JusticeDog
01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
You can also buy 40% Tylan which is for pet birds and it's lots cheaper and works just fine. I gave a bag to my pro for on the truck.

I gave my pro the jar of Tylan powder..... lucky him. I also gave him a 5# box of Milk Bones. And told him to sing to the dogs when he gave them their nite-nite biscuits. :D

dnf777
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
At least in two-legged dogs, we don't typically interfere with nature's method of cleansing the colon and ridding itself of viral-infected mucosal cells. Diarrhea is a natural defense, that in most cases should be self limited. The important thing is to prevent dehydration while its running its course. But if you're at that point, you need to be back at the vet's office anyway.

M&K's Retrievers
01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
My last dog Jake had continuing stomach problems. His diet consisted of one can of R/D mixed with 2 cups of prescription dry with a TBS of Tylan daily. We bought the Tylan on line at about half the cost at the Vet. That poor guy could not even have treats of any kind. :(

WRL
01-13-2011, 04:51 PM
At least in two-legged dogs, we don't typically interfere with nature's method of cleansing the colon and ridding itself of viral-infected mucosal cells. Diarrhea is a natural defense, that in most cases should be self limited. The important thing is to prevent dehydration while its running its course. But if you're at that point, you need to be back at the vet's office anyway.

How many intussusceptions have you seen?

I've seen two too many.......if you can add something to the diet to prevent the diarrhea and dehydration and it does not cause more issues why would you not use it?

WRL

dnf777
01-13-2011, 05:36 PM
How many intussusceptions have you seen?

I've seen two too many.......if you can add something to the diet to prevent the diarrhea and dehydration and it does not cause more issues why would you not use it?

WRL

Just saw one last week that was treated at home with Immodium for 4 months. She had a locally advanced colon cancer that went undiagnosed, and just had surgery.

I didn't say its appropriate to use narcotic anti-diarrheals under all circumstances. In fact, I said that dog needs to be at a vet if it has refractory diarrhea. Dehydration can kill. Something is wrong, and needs to be tended to by a qualified vet, not net-vets.

WRL
01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Just saw one last week that was treated at home with Immodium for 4 months. She had a locally advanced colon cancer that went undiagnosed, and just had surgery.

I didn't say its appropriate to use narcotic anti-diarrheals under all circumstances. In fact, I said that dog needs to be at a vet if it has refractory diarrhea. Dehydration can kill. Something is wrong, and needs to be tended to by a qualified vet, not net-vets.

Why would you let it get that bad?

One loose stool, I let it go. Two loose stools, a dose of Tylan and voila.....its usually back to being formed.

WRL

dnf777
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Why would you let it get that bad?

One loose stool, I let it go. Two loose stools, a dose of Tylan and voila.....its usually back to being formed.

WRL

People are going to think we're old farts if we keep talking about BMs.