PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain 4 POTUS

Marvin S
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Will be interested in Blackstone's take on this :). Sounds like he's more qualified than the present guy ;-).

BonMallari
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I like Herman Cain...kind of refreshing....his pizzas were pretty good...(Godfather's pizza)

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Intresting...Marvin,

Why would Blackstones respons be any more note worthy than anyone elses???

It just sounds, and maybe its because its typed and we cant really see what you mean (had we been able to read body language, extressions etc) that your looking for or picking at an arguement...

If I am mistaken I am sorry.

I just happened to be eating lunch at home today and saw the interview with Niel...

I wasnt all that impressed on first take....he seemed to repeat himself to much..

"I am a problem solver.."
"I see a problem, fix it...thats what a problem solver does"
"I see the people are asking for a problem solver.."
"There are problems...and I know how to fix them.."
"The problems....
"The problems...

Ok we get it you see a problem and you fix it...what else....is what I took from his interview.

Ohh, he did say..."I am a business man, not a politician....business men see problems and fix them...or else their fired"

NCA

Blackstone
01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Intresting...Marvin,

It just sounds, and maybe its because its typed and we cant really see what you mean (had we been able to read body language, extressions etc) that your looking for or picking at an arguement...

If I am mistaken I am sorry.

Obviously, you didn’t realize how much Marvin values my opinion. He hangs on my every word! ;-)

Blackstone
01-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Will be interested in Blackstone's take on this :). Sounds like he's more qualified than the present guy ;-).

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about Herman Cain. But, if he decides to run for President, I promise I will do some research and let you know whether or not to vote for him. :p

Marvin S
01-13-2011, 09:53 PM

I don't come on here to pick arguments - the people I can learn something from generally share my point of view - the rest not so, nor do they articulate their point of view very well.

When Blackstone came on this forum I liked his thoughtfulness. But then there was a thread where I felt he was quite narrow minded, so I thought it appropriate to ask if he knew this successful gentleman. As you can see by his post below that's not the case.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about Herman Cain. But, if he decides to run for President, I promise I will do some research and let you know whether or not to vote for him. :p

Thank You, Blackstone. You have answered my query. I'm fairly good at vetting my own guys though a lot of them don't end up victors :). But I will vet this guy should he choose to run, being capable means a lot to me :razz:.

mjh345
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't come on here to pick arguments - the people I can learn something from generally share my point of view - the rest not so, nor do they articulate their point of view very well.

When Blackstone came on this forum I liked his thoughtfulness. :razz:.
Marv, how open minded of you to say that the only people you can learn from are people who share your point of view. I'd bet you win almost every argument you have with yourself, don't you?

I'm with you on that Blackstone fella, I used to think he was kinda sharp too. But now I question his grasp of issues, cause like you I also assumed all those darky's knew each other.

By the way I'm also real impressed that "being capable means a lot" to you.
Most of us simpletons don't have nearly that high a standard when looking for leaders.

Here is hoping you will keep looking out for us short bus riding idiots

Myopic regards

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-13-2011, 10:37 PM

When Blackstone came on this forum I liked his thoughtfulness. But then there was a thread where I felt he was quite narrow minded, so I thought it appropriate to ask if he knew this successful gentleman. As you can see by his post below that's not the case.

Thank You, Blackstone. You have answered my query. I'm fairly good at vetting my own guys though a lot of them don't end up victors :). But I will vet this guy should he choose to run, being capable means a lot to me :razz:.

Ok...I see where your comming from now.

Thats why I said if I am misunderdstanding you I apologize...I wasn't trying to bag on ya...just wondering why you would single him out.

I saw the interview you must have, being that you posted the same day shortly after he was on...I just didn't get a tingling sensation down my leg;);)

NCA

BonMallari
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Ok...I see where your comming from now.

Thats why I said if I am misunderdstanding you I apologize...I wasn't trying to bag on ya...just wondering why you would single him out.

I saw the interview you must have, being that you posted the same day shortly after he was on...I just didn't get a tingling sensation down my leg;);)

NCA

you or your dog just peed on your leg....if its you, better start taking the saw palmetto :razz::razz:

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
you or your dog just peed on your leg....if its you, better start taking the saw palmetto :razz::razz:

Sorry brotha...

I did indeed say I DIDN'T get that feeling....

If it's me...pee'n down my own leg, well there better be about 12 empty good excuses lay'n somewhere's near me!!!:razz::razz:

And if its my dog, well somethings never change...;);)

Old dog, new tricks regards...

NCA

paul young
01-14-2011, 05:30 AM
sounds a lot like Ross Perot to me. overly simplistic view of things. the U.S. is not a corporation run by the President.
the problems, for the most part, are found within the legislative branch. the President is quite limited in his influence there. the president does not have the ability to hire/fire Senators and members of Congress. that's our job, and collectively, we stink at it.

too much partisanship on both sides of the aisle, and too little statesmanship. their number 1 priority is to be re-elected. it's fine to look out for your state's/district's interests, but the way out of this mess is to consider the needs of the entire nation first when voting to enact legislation. if they ever do, our lot will improve. if not.....-Paul

Marvin S
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Marv, how open minded of you to say that the only people you can learn from are people who share your point of view. I'd bet you win almost every argument you have with yourself, don't you?

A little twist here, a little twist there & shortly U get what U want from someone else's words. As it is a free country U may believe whatever you desire :confused:.

wayne anderson
01-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Paul, I agree with your observations completely. We assume way too much power on the part of the Executive Branch and overlook the power of the Legislative Branch--and we do a damned poor job of "hiring" our representatives and senators in the latter!

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 01:01 PM
There is a lot more to running a country than there is to running a business. I'm not sure being a successful businessman qualifies you to run the country. I guess as we learn more about Mr. Cain, we will be better able to ascertain his qualifications.

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 01:06 PM

We all have our biases and preferences, and issues we feel strongly about. I am no different. There are statements you have made that I feel were narrow minded as well, but you are entitled to your opinions. That's one of the things that makes us unique.

BonMallari
01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
There is a lot more to running a country than there is to running a business. I'm not sure being a successful businessman qualifies you to run the country. I guess as we learn more about Mr. Cain, we will be better able to ascertain his qualifications.

True... but MAYBE if we started looking at successful corporate types that actually answered to and were held accountable by board members then they might run the business of the country better than the career politicians that write checks that the country cant cash...

depittydawg
01-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Paul, I agree with your observations completely. We assume way too much power on the part of the Executive Branch and overlook the power of the Legislative Branch--and we do a damned poor job of "hiring" our representatives and senators in the latter!

On the money. And we don't desire a "unitary executive" in America. As for the mockery we call elections, any idea's on how we can improve them?

BonMallari
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
On the money. And we don't desire a "unitary executive" in America. As for the mockery we call elections, any idea's on how we can improve them?

Yup , quit hiring (electing) the same incumbents year after year...most of whom are lawyers..but the American public is lazy and wont really examine the records of their officials, way too easy to mark next to the slot incumbent

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
True... but MAYBE if we started looking at successful corporate types that actually answered to and were held accountable by board members then they might run the business of the country better than the career politicians that write checks that the country cant cash...

Well, have you ever paid attention to the greed, corruption, graft, waste, and lack of ethics in corporate America? Isn’t the country still trying to recover from some of their dealings? They are the ones currently lobbying elected officials. Often, the board is just in bed with corporate officers. They often don’t act in the best interest of the shareholders or the company as a whole. I don’t necessarily want them running the country.

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
sounds a lot like Ross Perot to me. overly simplistic view of things. the U.S. is not a corporation run by the President.
the problems, for the most part, are found within the legislative branch. the President is quite limited in his influence there. the president does not have the ability to hire/fire Senators and members of Congress. that's our job, and collectively, we stink at it.

too much partisanship on both sides of the aisle, and too little statesmanship. their number 1 priority is to be re-elected. it's fine to look out for your state's/district's interests, but the way out of this mess is to consider the needs of the entire nation first when voting to enact legislation. if they ever do, our lot will improve. if not.....-Paul

BINGO! Well said....collectively, the citizens of this country seem to be more concerned about the lives of Hollywood types and otherwise unknown "reality stars" than they do the workings of the behemoth state and federal governments that are blowing through dollars of this and future generations without any meaningful increase in the quality of life, while decreasing liberties, making the pursuit of happiness damn frustrating!

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
He has to be better than the idiot in there now.
I'll take a business person over an iflated ego community organizer any day.

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 04:18 PM
He has to be better than the idiot in there now.
I'll take a business person over an iflated ego community organizer any day.

You must have never been around many corporate CEOs. Most have tremendous egos, and could not care less about the average person that works for them or for the average consumer. They would cut your throat to get their bonuses. Now, I'm not saying there aren't some good corporate executives out there, but there are a lot of what I would consider to be bad ones.

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, have you ever paid attention to the greed, corruption, graft, waste, and lack of ethics in corporate America? Isn’t the country still trying to recover from some of their dealings? They are the ones currently lobbying elected officials. Often, the board is just in bed with corporate officers. They often don’t act in the best interest of the shareholders or the company as a whole. I don’t necessarily want them running the country.

Blackstone,

I don't know you, so gonna give you a chance to retract the above statement, or at least clarify it. To suggest that ALL of corporate america is infected with "greed, corruption, graft, wast and (a) lack of ethics" is inane....about as inane as saying the members of any given race, creed, religion, etc are "this" or "that."

If you REALLY believe this, then you will call your broker, 401k and pension managers tomorrow and completely divest of ALL corporate paper and hide the cash you get in your mattress. Otherwise, you are complicit with the corporate raiders.

road kill
01-16-2011, 04:35 PM
You must have never been around many corporate CEOs. Most have tremendous egos, and could not care less about the average person that works for them or for the average consumer. They would cut your throat to get their bonuses. Now, I'm not saying there aren't some good corporate executives out there, but there are a lot of what I would consider to be bad ones.

How many do you know??

RK

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Blackstone,

I don't know you, so gonna give you a chance to retract the above statement, or at least clarify it. To suggest that ALL of corporate america is infected with "greed, corruption, graft, wast and (a) lack of ethics" is inane....about as inane as saying the members of any given race, creed, religion, etc are "this" or "that."

If you REALLY believe this, then you will call your broker, 401k and pension managers tomorrow and completely divest of ALL corporate paper and hide the cash you get in your mattress. Otherwise, you are complicit with the corporate raiders.

I did not mean to suggest that "all" of corporate America is that way. Perhaps I should have clarified it better. If you read my response to luvmylabs, you will see I where I said, "Now, I'm not saying there aren't some good corporate executives out there, but there are a lot of what I would consider to be bad ones." However, if you have not noticed the greed, waste, and lack of ethics pervasive in corporate America, you haven't been paying attention.

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
How many do you know??

RK

I have had the opportunity to meet a few and a few high up corporate officers. Only one was the kind of person I would really trust. And, there are others whose exploits I have read about. Unless they were all lies, they weren't very compassionate people either.

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I did not mean to suggest that "all" of corporate America is that way. Perhaps I should have clarified it better. If you read my response to luvmylabs, you will see I where I said, "Now, I'm not saying there aren't some good corporate executives out there, but there are a lot of what I would consider to be bad ones." However, if you have not noticed the greed, waste, and lack of ethics pervasive in government, you haven't been paying attention.

Fixed it for you!;-)

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I did not mean to suggest that "all" of corporate America is that way. Perhaps I should have clarified it better. If you read my response to luvmylabs, you will see I where I said, "Now, I'm not saying there aren't some good corporate executives out there, but there are a lot of what I would consider to be bad ones." However, if you have not noticed the greed, waste, and lack of ethics pervasive in corporate America, you haven't been paying attention.

Thanks for the clarification....demonstrates the "reasonable man" concept....and I did see your post to luvmylabs.....still detect a hint of "more bad than good" in your response....and would like to understand the frame of reference anytime I see such generalizations.

I have of course, recognized that there are scumbags out there....but have enough experience to recognize they exist EVERYWHERE....in corporations, in churches, in non-profits, in neighborhoods.....everywhere. I've worked for 5 corporations and interacted with hundreds. I left one after the organization was purchased from one such scumbag company.....and I left skidmarks upon my exit!! But that is one out of hundreds....the vast majority of others are what I would call good "corporate citizens" of their respective communities. Now, some would likely argue that some of the companies I speak of are "greedy" because they make some pretty nice profits. I say, ridiculous, as long as the profits are legally and ethically obtained.

Glad to hear your retirement funds won't be in your mattress! ;)

depittydawg
01-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Blackstone,

Well we got a prety good look at the banker CEO's over the last few years. I'd say there are more that fit this bill than who don't.

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I have had the opportunity to meet a few and a few high up corporate officers. Only one was the kind of person I would really trust. And, there are others whose exploits I have read about. Unless they were all lies, they weren't very compassionate people either.

Perhaps we are at the meat of the matter here. You suggested a strong corporate leader may not be qualified to be president....are you suggesting that being compassionate is THE litmus test for a president?

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Well we got a prety good look at the banker CEO's over the last few years. I'd say there are more that fit this bill than who don't.

So you will be calling your broker, 401k and/or pension manager tomorrow and selling all your financial service stock or mutual funds that own these?

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2011, 05:00 PM

I've been around plenty of corp execs. There are very few that I have a problem with. It is their job to ensure the cpmany makes a good profit. At times they have to my choices that not everyone likes.
I have never met a community organizer that I would trust as far as I could throw them.

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Perhaps we are at the meat of the matter here. You suggested a strong corporate leader may not be qualified to be president....are you suggesting that being compassionate is THE litmus test for a president?

No. It is not the Litmus test. There are several qualities that make a good President. In my opinion, compassion is one of them. Certainly, a President is going to have to make decisions that will have a negative impact on some people, but those decisions should not be made without considering those that will be affected.

road kill
01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
It's far more valuable experience organizing a community on someone elses nickel than running a million dollar business with a dog of your own in the hunt!!!

RK

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I've been around plenty of corp execs. There are very few that I have a problem with. It is their job to ensure the cpmany makes a good profit. At times they have to my choices that not everyone likes.
I have never met a community organizer that I would trust as far as I could throw them.

Well, I personally don't know any community organizers, so I can't comment on them as a whole. However, I have been around quite a few corp execs. If they were only concerned about corp profits and their bonuses, regardless of how it impacts employees or consumers, I didn't have a high opinion of them.

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Fixed it for you!;-)

Thanks, but i pretty much said what I meant.

road kill
01-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, I personally don't know any community organizers, so I can't comment on them as a whole. However, I have been around quite a few corp execs. If they were only concerned about corp profits and their bonuses, regardless of how it impacts employees or consumers, I didn't have a high opinion of them.

The President of the United States of America's most significant experience is that of a community organizer.

Compassion or not, right now we need someone with experience handling a budget of significant $$$$'s.

RK

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 05:59 PM
It's far more valuable experience organizing a community on someone elses nickel than running a million dollar business with a dog of your own in the hunt!!!

RK

You really only have a dog in the hunt if you have something to lose. Look at some of the compensation and separation packages some of these guys get. Even if the companies does poorly under them and they are forced out, they leave wealthy.

BonMallari
01-16-2011, 06:10 PM
You really only have a dog in the hunt if you have something to lose. Look at some of the compensation and separation packages some of these guys get. Even if the companies does poorly under them and they are forced out, they leave wealthy.

and Bill Clinton isnt wealthier today then when he was in office ....I am not saying their salaries are fair or just..but just like the high priced salaries we pay athletes, the CEO's negotiated their compensation packages and the companies agreed to pay that amount along with any separation bonuses...whose fault is that, certainly not the employee...blame the board that agreed to pay them the outrageous salary and bonus package

Roger Perry
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
The President of the United States of America's most significant experience is that of a community organizer.

Compassion or not, right now we need someone with experience handling a budget of significant $$$$'s.

RK

Look at the alternative-------
John McCain has said the economy is "not his strong suit."

Tim Russert: "Senator McCain, you have said repeatedly, 'I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.' Is it a problem for your campaign that the economy is now the most important issue, one that, by your own acknowledgement, you're not well versed on?"
McCain: "Actually, I don't know where you got that quote from. I'm very well versed in economics."
It seems that Romney and Russert are both right on this point, while McCain is contradicting his previous statements.
McCain gave an interview to the Wall Street Journal in 2005 in which he said, "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."
He told the Boston Globe in December 2007, ""The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should."

The guy is so senile he doesn't remember what he said and when he said it.:rolleyes:
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2008/feb/04/mitt-romney/mccain-said-it/

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Look at the alternative-------
John McCain has said the economy is "not his strong suit."

Tim Russert: "Senator McCain, you have said repeatedly, 'I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.' Is it a problem for your campaign that the economy is now the most important issue, one that, by your own acknowledgement, you're not well versed on?"
McCain: "Actually, I don't know where you got that quote from. I'm very well versed in economics."
It seems that Romney and Russert are both right on this point, while McCain is contradicting his previous statements.
McCain gave an interview to the Wall Street Journal in 2005 in which he said, "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."
He told the Boston Globe in December 2007, ""The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should."

The guy is so senile he doesn't remember what he said and when he said it.:rolleyes:
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2008/feb/04/mitt-romney/mccain-said-it/

While the last election was certainly a lesser of two evils contest, I remain unconvinced that any President in today's US has the ability to be the lynchpin for economic stability.....sad but true, we haven't seen the kind of leadership from a president that has demonstrated the ability to galvanize the country and congress toward anything in common. Both parties are a wreck in their own ways, and special interests - whether a giant corporation driven by profits, or community organizers driven by getting their unfair share of the government cheese - are the primary voices bending the ears of congress.

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2011, 06:38 PM

It is there job to maximize profits!

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 06:43 PM

EXACTLY! No one here will actually say that's what they don't like either....because most of us own the stocks (via mutual funds or pensions) of these "greedy corporate types."

Funny how some are fine taking the financial gains of these robber barons in the form of dividends and capital gains, but will bad mouth the "greed" of the C-levels from the same companies.

Hello pot, this is kettle.

depittydawg
01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
While the last election was certainly a lesser of two evils contest, I remain unconvinced that any President in today's US has the ability to be the lynchpin for economic stability.....sad but true, we haven't seen the kind of leadership from a president that has demonstrated the ability to galvanize the country and congress toward anything in common. Both parties are a wreck in their own ways, and special interests - whether a giant corporation driven by profits, or community organizers driven by getting their unfair share of the government cheese - are the primary voices bending the ears of congress.

If you study great American Presidents, they come from all walks of life. Lawyers, Judges, Military, Academic. As far as Wall Street transfers to the White House, there really haven't been any. Many of our most revered Presidents not only did not come from Corporate America, they fought it tooth and nail.
Andrew Jackson
Teddy Roosevelt
Franklin Roosevelt

After a quick look to find successful businessman who became President I came up with this list.
Jimmy Carter - very successful farmer
Herbert Hoover - very successful mining executive
George Bush Jr - turned a nice profit with the Texas Rangers and a couple of Oil Companies

A look at the first half dozen Presidents of the US paint another picture. All very wealthy land owners of their day. But it all cases it wasn't their business acumen that made them great leaders. A common link seems to be Military Careers or acedemics more than anything.
There doesn't seem to be a blueprint for an appropriate preparation for Greatness in the White House.

Roger Perry
01-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Again, you claim to have gotten "A's" in English. There is a difference between there and their.:lol:

Blackstone
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
and Bill Clinton isnt wealthier today then when he was in office ....I am not saying their salaries are fair or just..but just like the high priced salaries we pay athletes, the CEO's negotiated their compensation packages and the companies agreed to pay that amount along with any separation bonuses...whose fault is that, certainly not the employee...blame the board that agreed to pay them the outrageous salary and bonus package

Let me make it clear, I believe in getting paid as much as you can. I’m not mad at any CEO for what they get paid. However, I do not believe they should increase their salaries and ensure their bonuses at the expense of the employees. That happens a lot. My point was, once you have guaranteed yourself that kind of money, you really don’t have much to lose no matter what happens. Also, if you read my earlier posts, you would see where I said the boards, in many cases, are complicit.

depittydawg
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
So you will be calling your broker, 401k and/or pension manager tomorrow and selling all your financial service stock or mutual funds that own these?

??? Honest answer. No. Neither am I leaving the Country because of my disatisfaction for the Federal Government.

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Again, you claim to have gotten "A's" in English. There is a difference between there and their.:lol:

So I didn't bother to proofread. I watching football at the same time.
Go JETS!
Oh,I love when a liberal has no answer they just go looking for grammer and spelling errors.

Roger Perry
01-16-2011, 06:53 PM
If you study great American Presidents, they come from all walks of life. Lawyers, Judges, Military, Academic. As far as Wall Street transfers to the White House, there really haven't been any. Many of our most revered Presidents not only did not come from Corporate America, they fought it tooth and nail.
Andrew Jackson
Teddy Roosevelt
Franklin Roosevelt

After a quick look to find successful businessman who became President I came up with this list.
George Bush Jr - turned a nice profit with the Texas Rangers and a couple of Oil Companies

A look at the first half dozen Presidents of the US paint another picture. All very wealthy land owners of their day. But it all cases it wasn't their business acumen that made them great leaders. A common link seems to be Military Careers or acedemics more than anything.
There doesn't seem to be a blueprint for an appropriate preparation for Greatness in the White House.

Arbusto, an oil exploration company, lost money, but it got considerable investments (nearly $5 million) because even losing oil investments were useful as tax shelters.
Spectrum 7 Energy Corp. bought out Arbusto in 1984 and hired Mr. Bush to run the company's oil interests in Midland, Texas. The oil business collapsed as oil prices plummeted by 1986, and Spectrum 7 Energy was near failure.
Harken Energy acquired Mr. Bush's Spectrum 7 Energy shares, and he got Harken shares, a directorship, and a consulting arrangement in return. Harken, under Bush, brought in Saudi real estate tycoon Sheikh Abdullah Bakhsh as a board member and a major investor. Over the next few years, Harken would turn out to have links to: Saudi money, CIA-connected Filipinos, the Harvard Endowment, the emir of Bahrain, and the shadowy Bank of Credit and Commerce International.
A 1991 internal SEC document suggested George W. Bush violated federal securities law at least 4 times in the late 1980s and early 1990s in selling Harken stock while serving as a director of Harken. This is essentially the same kind of activity that Martha Stewart is going to prison over. Except at the time of the investigation, Mr. Bush's father was president and the case was quietly dropped.
http://alaric3rh.home.sprynet.com/science/bceo.html
Yeah, right successful in the oil business:rolleyes: As far as the Texas Rangers ***

Famous Texas baseball team the Texas Rangers just filed for bankruptcy. This dumb sports franchise in Texas owes “between $100 and $500 million” to its creditors. What does this mean, and how is it George W. Bush’s fault? Bush Junior “bought” the Rangers in 1989 by ponying up only $600,000 while his daddy’s oil buddies cronyed up the real money — and when the team was sold a decade later, Dubya walked away with $15 million.
http://wonkette.com/415594/george-w-bush-probably-responsible-for-texas-rangers-bankruptcy-too

TxHillHunter
01-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Andrew Jackson
Teddy Roosevelt
Franklin Roosevelt

Please don't make the mistake of thinking I believe a C-level exec is what this country needs or ever has needed as President. I have been adressing those making sweeping generalizations about the "evils" (my word) of corporate america.

BUT, I'm not sure I would agree that TR and FDR (AJ really predates the Industrial Revolution) fought corporate america "tooth and nail." I just finished reading the Wilderness Warrior, and while Teddy (one of my heroes) took issue with corporate exploitation of natural resources....his passion did not come from any disgust with profits...rather it was rooted his own love of wild creatures, particularly birds. BOTH Roosevelts also had the distinct advantage of being born into a very wealthy family.....they could AFFORD to pretty much pick whatever fight they wanted.

We all need to remember that WE, as consumers, are the ones that drive profits based on our demand of goods and services. How many here that are railing against the "corporate greed" of the banks have pulled all their cash out or divested themselves completely of these companies? My guess is none, but just a guess. If my guess is correct, then the guilty are hypocrites.

Roger Perry
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
So I didn't bother to proofread. I watching football at the same time.
Go JETS!
Oh,I love when a liberal has no answer they just go looking for grammer and spelling errors.

I didn't get "A's" in High School but I know the difference between there and their. I did get "A's" in creative writing in school after I got out of the U.S. Navy though:D

Go Patriots!

depittydawg
01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
[LIST]
Arbusto,
Famous Texas baseball team the Texas Rangers just filed for bankruptcy. This dumb sports franchise in Texas owes “between $100 and $500 million” to its creditors. What does this mean, and how is it George W. Bush’s fault? Bush Junior “bought” the Rangers in 1989 by ponying up only $600,000 while his daddy’s oil buddies cronyed up the real money — and when the team was sold a decade later, Dubya walked away with $15 million.
http://wonkette.com/415594/george-w-bush-probably-responsible-for-texas-rangers-bankruptcy-too

Sounds like a typical Wall Street success story to me...

dnf777
01-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Please don't make the mistake of thinking I believe a C-level exec is what this country needs or ever has needed as President. I have been adressing those making sweeping generalizations about the "evils" (my word) of corporate america.

BUT, I'm not sure I would agree that TR and FDR (AJ really predates the Industrial Revolution) fought corporate america "tooth and nail." I just finished reading the Wilderness Warrior, and while Teddy (one of my heroes) took issue with corporate exploitation of natural resources....his passion did not come from any disgust with profits...rather it was rooted his own love of wild creatures, particularly birds. BOTH Roosevelts also had the distinct advantage of being born into a very wealthy family.....they could AFFORD to pretty much pick whatever fight they wanted.

We all need to remember that WE, as consumers, are the ones that drive profits based on our demand of goods and services. How many here that are railing against the "corporate greed" of the banks have pulled all their cash out or divested themselves completely of these companies? My guess is none, but just a guess. If my guess is correct, then the guilty are hypocrites.

Great post, but TR would be ridden out of town on a rail by the modern tea party as a bleeding heart liberal, and Yellowstone Park would have by now been the Enron-Exxon-BP hydroelectric field.

Got Wilderness Warrior on my stack of "to read"...may need to bump it up, given your rec. ;)

TxHillHunter
01-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Great post, but TR would be ridden out of town on a rail by the modern tea party as a bleeding heart liberal, and Yellowstone Park would have by now been the Enron-Exxon-BP hydroelectric field.

Got Wilderness Warrior on my stack of "to read"...may need to bump it up, given your rec. ;)

Definitely worth a LONG read!

Don't give the Tea Party too much credit....by themselves, I don't think they could run David Duke out of town. IMHO, they were PART of the turnover party this past election. The GAP was the difference maker....the Generally All Pissed-off party!

BonMallari
01-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Definitely worth a LONG read!

Don't give the Tea Party too much credit....by themselves, I don't think they could run David Duke out of town. IMHO, they were PART of the turnover party this past election. The GAP was the difference maker....the Generally All Pissed-off party!

they blew TWO elections that should have been Republican slam dunks (Angle and O'Donnell) and technically lost the Alaska race too