PDA

View Full Version : Memorial service, share your thoughts

luvmylabs23139
01-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Well I have mixed thoughts.
First T shirts handed out on the back of the chairs? What the heck?
TACKY AND DISGUSTING

It started off as a proper memorial service.
The entire middle turned into an OBAMA pep rally. Completely disgusting.
Again it ended as a proper memorial service.

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
My reaction to Obama..was he actually moved me at times...his message was caring, for the first time, I think he actaually said something that mattered to me...his request of us all to try to make this country something that Christina would be proud of...was to the point.

All the damn cheering was DISGUSTING...other than when he said that Gabby opened her eyes(which is cause for cheers) the "fans" really rubbed me wrong. It was sad to see so many cheering at a time of mourning....

NCA

luvmylabs23139
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
yaeh, the cheering when he annnonced that Gabby had opened her eyes was apropriate, the rest of the cheering I found very disrepectful.

ducknwork
01-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I didn't watch it. I figured anything that I needed to know about it, I would learn on here today. After about 3 more posts on this thread, I'll know enough about it to start arguing like I do know something!

Honestly, I did flip to it a couple times. Such a somber time and event doesn't seem like a place for all of the cheering that was going on. But who knows, maybe O is more moving in person.

dnf777
01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
yaeh, the cheering when he annnonced that Gabby had opened her eyes was apropriate, the rest of the cheering I found very disrepectful.

Was it inappropriate to cheer when he called the aid a hero who rushed to her side as shots were still being fired to assist? That was some of the cheer I heard. Was it disprespectful for the ground zero crowd to cheer as the flag was waved and Bush said we would rise above this?

Get real. Just more political attacks as wholly expected.

road kill
01-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Was it inappropriate to cheer when he called the aid a hero who rushed to her side as shots were still being fired to assist? That was some of the cheer I heard. Was it disprespectful for the ground zero crowd to cheer as the flag was waved and Bush said we would rise above this?

Get real. Just more political attacks as wholly expected.

I have never been to a funeral where any one cheered, seems inapropriate to me.
Probably happen at mine though...........;-)

RK

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Was it inappropriate to cheer when he called the aid a hero who rushed to her side as shots were still being fired to assist? That was some of the cheer I heard. Was it disprespectful for the ground zero crowd to cheer as the flag was waved and Bush said we would rise above this?Get real. Just more political attacks as wholly expected.

That was not a memorial service....

NCA

M&K's Retrievers
01-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Was it inappropriate to cheer when he called the aid a hero who rushed to her side as shots were still being fired to assist?

At a memorial service, yes it was.

helencalif
01-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I think the environment contributed to the atmosphere.

If the memorial service had been held in a church, it would have been a different atmosphere.
Having it at a college in a large coliseum with predominantly college students in attendance, the memorial service was less solemn and more like a pep rally.

This was my reaction. Afterwards, commentators expressed the same and said that President Obama was not prepared for the cheering, but handled it well.

BonMallari
01-13-2011, 09:57 AM
That was not a memorial service....

NCA

bingo...once you get TV/media involved then it becomes a scripted event, throw in a visit from POTUS and you have a full blown circus, everyone getting equal face time so as not show partisanship...but as NCA stated this was not a memorial service...its probably why the whack job Westboro loons decided to skip the event

luvmylabs23139
01-13-2011, 10:09 AM
I think the environment contributed to the atmosphere.

If the memorial service had been held in a church, it would have been a different atmosphere.
Having it at a college in a large coliseum .

I don't think the fact that a coliseum was used is a valid excuse.
Last year we had a local LEO killed in the line of duty. His funeral was on the campus of Wake Forest U at it's large auditorium not the chapel. Everything was very dignified. By the way his wife was on staff at WF.

Franco
01-13-2011, 10:14 AM
We are talkig about politicians here and not mourners.

Does anyone think a politicain is going to waste the opportunity that a tragedy presents to enhance thier campaigns, do you?

dnf777
01-13-2011, 11:00 AM
At a memorial service, yes it was.

Well, maybe the people who actually attended the service, and were more closely affected by the tragedy are better equipped to decide if they want to offer applause at certain points of the event.

But then again, maybe folks sitting on the computer in other parts of the country are better at massacre memorial service etiquette? :rolleyes:

ducknwork
01-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Well, maybe the people who actually attended the service, and were more closely affected by the tragedy are better equipped to decide if they want to offer applause at certain points of the event.

But then again, maybe folks sitting on the computer in other parts of the country are better at massacre memorial service etiquette? :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject of 'maybes', maybe there was one of these!

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr104/sedwards_08/misc/Personal-Applause-Sign1.gif

luvmylabs23139
01-13-2011, 11:23 AM

And you think giving a memorial service a name and handing out T-shirts was apropriate?
That was disgusting.

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-13-2011, 11:37 AM
I am not going to say that Tuscon cant mourn how they want to...

But the title was "Memorial Service, Share YOUR thought"

My thoughts were that all the college students...chanting Obama Obama Obama, Obama we love you!!!!!! Was a DISGRACE...and I stated so.

I bet half of those kids, went drunk!!!!!!

"Dude, did you hear Obama is comming to our school" "I'm totally going, bro" "Yea, lets go bro...and lets get drunk dude...it'll be cool, man cuz when Obama gets up on stage we can totally yell out to him, man it will be like he is talking to us..bro"

95% of the students wouldnt have been there regards,

NCA....

I agree with whom ever said it..."if this were at a church this wouldnt be a topic"

dnf777
01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I am not going to say that Tuscon cant mourn how they want to...

But the title was "Memorial Service, Share YOUR thought"

My thoughts were that all the college students...chanting Obama Obama Obama, Obama we love you!!!!!! Was a DISGRACE...and I stated so.

I bet half of those kids, went drunk!!!!!!

"Dude, did you hear Obama is comming to our school" "I'm totally going, bro" "Yea, lets go bro...and lets get drunk dude...it'll be cool, man cuz when Obama gets up on stage we can totally yell out to him, man it will be like he is talking to us..bro"

95% of the students wouldnt have been there regards,

NCA....

I agree with whom ever said it..."if this were at a church this wouldnt be a topic"

Funny!
Man, you guys must have your panties in a perma-twist!

Buzz
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I wonder how many people Glenn Beck is ticking off today?

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201101130006

Seems that these days, there are a lot of conservatives who have a negative visceral reaction to unifying the country.

I wonder why that is?

dnf777
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Seems that these days, there are a lot of conservatives who have a negative visceral reaction to unifying the country.

I wonder why that is?

Its easier to control the masses if you keep them scared and looking for their shepard. And Dear Mr. Beck is such a compassionate sheperd. Did you hear his sermon the other day...

huntinman
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM

I wonder why that is?

Who are you saying is unifying the country? Obama? Seriously? He coined the term "bitter clinger", after the election he reminded the republicans "I won, you lost". The great unifier...

road kill
01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Its easier to control the masses if you keep them scared and looking for their shepard. And Dear Mr. Beck is such a compassionate sheperd. Did you hear his sermon the other day...

Is that from the progressive playbook?

RK

M&K's Retrievers
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
I

I wonder why that is?

Maybe it's because we are tired of giving things away.

road kill
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM

I wonder why that is?

Easy, we don't like your idea of unification.
Just like you don't like ours.

RK

road kill
01-13-2011, 02:12 PM
A picture is worth 1,000 words.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/shirts.jpg

RK

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Funny!
Man, you guys must have your panties in a perma-twist!

What's that your always saying, about those who have anything in your view, negative to say about homosexuals....

Dare I guess what's in your dresser drawer.....

Thong or G-string regards,

NCA

paul young
01-13-2011, 05:16 PM
what we think doesn't matter. if the little girl's family is upset that is a different matter.

it's not about us. let it be.-Paul

dnf777
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
What's that your always saying, about those who have anything in your view, negative to say about homosexuals....

Dare I guess what's in your dresser drawer.....

Thong or G-string regards,

NCA

uhhhh.....ok, whatever

Duck.....how am I doing?

ducknwork
01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
uhhhh.....ok, whatever

Duck.....how am I doing?

It's still early.

Jackwagon.

helencalif
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM

RK

Who OK'd ordering the T-shirts and who put them out on the chairs?

T-shirts for a memorial service? Seems odd to me.

Buzz
01-14-2011, 08:04 AM

The GOP and its media allies have had a huge amount of success harnessing the resentment of people who feel their status has been destroyed as one group after another (women, blacks, gays, slackers, ect...) has gained the rights due them.

huntinman
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
The GOP and its media allies have had a huge amount of success harnessing the resentment of people who feel their status has been destroyed as one group after another (women, blacks, gays, slackers, ect...) has gained the rights due them.

Slackers have rights too?

Buzz
01-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Who OK'd ordering the T-shirts and who put them out on the chairs?

T-shirts for a memorial service? Seems odd to me.

Of course the knee jerk reaction of the pundits at RTF is to assume it was Obama's fault. Here is a story from Faux News.

EXCLUSIVE: Univ. of Arizona Reveals Origin of Memorial T-Shirts

Many Americans were startled to see University of Arizona students distributing t-shirts at the memorial service in Tucson yesterday. On the front of the shirts, "Together We Thrive" was printed, along with a trendy logo.

University spokeswoman Jennifer Fitzenberger told FoxNation.com "it was our idea to do the t-shirts." She said distributing merchandise at a memorial was appropriate and rejected the charge that the University over-commercialized the service. "Our intention was to have something to remember after the event...something that symbolizes our community's spirit...which would live on." When asked if the University had worked with the White House or any partisan groups on any level regarding the t-shirts she said "no."

Fitzenberger insisted the University made no money from the "Together We Thrive" t-shirts and they weren't for sale. "We took the idea to University of Arizona BookStores and they contracted it out with a vendor." Reports put the cost of the t-shirts at $60,000.

FoxNation.com spoke to representatives at University of Arizona BookStores who revealed the vendor they used...."Youth Monument," a Los Angeles-based company specializing in "the hottest" college brands. "I don't feel comfortable commenting on the story," said Nick Ventura when contacted by FoxNation.com. Ventura called himself "a partner" at Youth Monument. When asked if the University of Arizona was a regular client and if there was any contact with the White House or any political group he responded "no comment."

luvmylabs23139
01-14-2011, 08:18 AM
The whole T-shirt thing was digusting no matter who did it. I never said it was Obumma, just that it was totally disgusting as was the behavior of the crowd.

BrianW
01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
For the most part, (to paraphrase the FLOTUS), the memorial was the first time since the election that I was proud of our President. He quoted Scripture, from Psalms & Job not the Koran or other religious works, stated that Christina was in Heaven ( not "in a better place") and asked for God's blessing for the victims, those left behind, and for our country as a whole. He honored the memories of those taken by reminding us of a lot of what makes our country great which is what a President should do in times like these.
Was he perfect? Imo, no. He repeatedly trotted out the timeworn mis-description of our nation- "our democracy" - even though for now we still live in a republic and, in my view, set the stage for legislators coming efforts to restrict our liberty. "We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future."

But he also set a challenge for us, and for himself and I'm curious to see if he lives up to it. As has been pointed out here and elsewhere, the name calling, finger pointing etc comes from both directions and PBO has been a major player in that game. He "wants to live up to [Christina's) expectations". Good. If he can be lead by example, we'll all be better for it.

I am curious though about the words of Daniel Hernandez.
"On Saturday, we all became Tucsonians. On Saturday, we all became Arizonans. And above all we all became Americans." :confused:
Now I realize this man is only 20 years old, not an experienced public speaker and (imo) was trying to tap into the 9/11 type phraseology of unifying. But we were already "all Americans", we didn't "become" on Saturday. Now if he had said "And above all, we all came together as Americans" that would have been different. I hate to sound so cynical at a time like this but I have to think his words were chosen carefully, if not written for him.
Do you think this a veiled reference to the debate on immigration reform?
Just a misstatement or an intentional injection of personal politics into an available opportunity?

Jason Glavich
01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

RK

All that work to put the shirts on the chairs and they couldn't even cover and align the chairs to begin with!

I would think the CIC would require perfection in those types of things. It just looks sloppy.

M&K's Retrievers
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Buzz, I'm talking about CASH!

Frank Marx
01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Not really my kind of thing

dnf777
01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
For the most part, (to paraphrase the FLOTUS), the memorial was the first time since the election that I was proud of our President. He quoted Scripture, from Psalms & Job not the Koran or other religious works, stated that Christina was in Heaven ( not "in a better place") and asked for God's blessing for the victims, those left behind, and for our country as a whole. He honored the memories of those taken by reminding us of a lot of what makes our country great which is what a President should do in times like these.
Was he perfect? Imo, no. He repeatedly trotted out the timeworn mis-description of our nation- "our democracy" - even though for now we still live in a republic and, in my view, set the stage for legislators coming efforts to restrict our liberty. "We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future."

But he also set a challenge for us, and for himself and I'm curious to see if he lives up to it. As has been pointed out here and elsewhere, the name calling, finger pointing etc comes from both directions and PBO has been a major player in that game. He "wants to live up to [Christina's) expectations". Good. If he can be lead by example, we'll all be better for it.

I am curious though about the words of Daniel Hernandez.
"On Saturday, we all became Tucsonians. On Saturday, we all became Arizonans. And above all we all became Americans." :confused:
Now I realize this man is only 20 years old, not an experienced public speaker and (imo) was trying to tap into the 9/11 type phraseology of unifying. But we were already "all Americans", we didn't "become" on Saturday. Now if he had said "And above all, we all came together as Americans" that would have been different. I hate to sound so cynical at a time like this but I have to think his words were chosen carefully, if not written for him.
Do you think this a veiled reference to the debate on immigration reform?
Just a misstatement or an intentional injection of personal politics into an available opportunity?

Come on guys! Between thinly veiled cod-words to immigration reform, to chairs that are laser-aligned.....ya'll are sounding ridiculous!

It was a beautiful ceremony. It paid respects, it celebrated life. It was apolitical. A true hero gave his comments.

Give it a freakin' break!

Find some good in the world for once. Not everything has to be evil and sinister.

road kill
01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Come on guys! Between thinly veiled cod-words to immigration reform, to chairs that are laser-aligned.....ya'll are sounding ridiculous!

It was a beautiful ceremony. It paid respects, it celebrated life. It was apolitical. A true hero gave his comments.

Find some good in the world for once. Not everything has to be evil and sinister.

YES IT DOES!!!!:evil:

RK

BonMallari
01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

were we watching the same event ?

I guess your idea of a beautiful ceremony and my idea of a pep rally are two different things..

To each their own

Marvin S
01-14-2011, 08:44 AM

As Bill said "Slackers" :confused:. But to comment on the rest -- most people I know are disappointed that the standards have been lowered to accommodate the limited skills of many of the folks you mention. In no way does their gaining something they do not deserve do anything positive for the good old US.

dnf777
01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
were we watching the same event ?

I guess your idea of a beautiful ceremony and my idea of a pep rally are two different things..

To each their own

Just my impression from 1800 miles away.
Why don't we leave it to the thousands of folks who were there, and more closely affected by this tragedy, to decide if it was appropriate?

But I agree, the official chair alignment officer should have his milk and cookies taken away for life! ;)

M&K's Retrievers
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM

It's all about perception.Tee shirts, cameras, teleprompter, cheering college students = political rally. Obama could have put a stop to the cheering. In his defense, he may have been taken by surprise but he has handled hecklers before, he could have handled this.

Buzz
01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
It's all about perception.Tee shirts, cameras, teleprompter, cheering college students = political rally. Obama could have put a stop to the cheering. In his defense, he may have been taken by surprise but he has handled hecklers before, he could have handled this.

Actually, I thought Obama looked a little thrown off by the cheering at some points during his speech.

dnf777
01-14-2011, 09:24 AM

I don't think these were hecklers.
Seemed more like a crowd of penned up emotions, looking for a positive release. That, along with the announcement that Gabby had just opened her eyes, I can certainly see a spontaneous eruption of cheer. A good speaker will let the audience set the tone, and respond in kind, which is what he did.

Again, why don't we let the people who were there and affected more closely by this tragedy determine what is appropriate and what isn't?

M&K's Retrievers
01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't think these were hecklers.
Seemed more like a crowd of penned up emotions, looking for a positive release. That, along with the announcement that Gabby had just opened her eyes, I can certainly see a spontaneous eruption of cheer. A good speaker will let the audience set the tone, and respond in kind, which is what he did.

Again, why don't we let the people who were there and affected more closely by this tragedy determine what is appropriate and what isn't?

I didn't say they were hecklers. I said he was used to spontaneous situations like that -hecklers, cheering, presidential shield falling off the dais, etc.

road kill
01-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Actually, I thought Obama looked a little thrown off by the cheering at some points during his speech.

Sure you did!!:rolleyes:

I can just see you in your recliner watching, intently, hanging on every word, warm tingly's running up and down your leg and noting-with instant astuteness- "Oh my......his highness seems a little thrown off by the well deserved cheering!!";-)

Maybe he & you thought he deserved more???:D

RK

BonMallari
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM

he was having a Sally Field moment and thought ...you really like me...:rolleyes::-P:-P

Buzz
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
John Stewart strikes again.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-13-2011/veiled-criticism

dnf777
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
John Stewart strikes again.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-13-2011/veiled-criticism

Thanks Buzz. I don't usually watch him, but that was spot on!
While he highlighted Fox News' criticism of the seating arrangement, we here at POTUS were quick to criticize the misalignment of the chairs! Sounds like we may have some future Fox correspondents here!

Did you see the part of the parents of the victims applauding? How dare they show up at their loved one's service to score political points for Obama!!! :rolleyes:

This has gone far enough. The right's agenda has been made perfectly clear.
Defeat and undermine Obama at EVERY TURN, no matter what.

M&K's Retrievers
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
The right's agenda has been made perfectly clear.

Duh! And exactly were/are you left wing extremists doing to Bush?

dnf777
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM

At least Bush made it easy. ;)

The financial state he handed over to the "next guy" speaks for itself.

huntinman
01-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Well you better really be worried for the NEXT next guy then because this incompetent boob has done nothing but make things worse from the minute he took over. Although, he said his administration will not rest till everyone who wants a job has one. No wonder he looks so sleepy all the time...

BonMallari
01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
While he highlighted Fox News' criticism of the seating arrangement, we here at POTUS were quick to criticize the misalignment of the chairs! Sounds like we may have some future Fox correspondents here!

Did you see the part of the parents of the victims applauding? How dare they show up at their loved one's service to score political points for Obama!!! :rolleyes:

How come YOU cant seem to let certain thing go:p:p

road kill
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM

The Daily Show is consistantly shown to be the preferred source of news for you "middle of the road independents.":p

"The Right's agenda???"

Why do you give the guy a pass for every thing he does.
To you, based on your defense and lack of any criticism, he is perfect.
Nauseating.......:barf:

RK

dnf777
01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
The Daily Show is consistantly shown to be the preferred source of news for you "middle of the road independents.":p

"The Right's agenda???"

Why do you give the guy a pass for every thing he does.
To you, based on your defense and lack of any criticism, he is perfect.
Nauseating.......:barf:

RK

I don't usually watch him

In case you missed that part.

You have heard me criticize this guy plenty here. I don't like his spending. I think he caters to large corporations, and is influenced by them way too much. He is too preachy.

All in all, he is a breath of fresh air after the last guy. Given what he has inherited, I think he's done an "ok" job overall. My portfolio is back to where it was, and then some. I don't worry about my bank not being there tomorrow. There's starting to be some reasonability in loaning again. (you can't show up and get a mortgage just by having a pulse and warm body temp anymore)

As for the spending and taxing....he has granted the bush tax cuts, which was a good thing.
I suspect he will adopt the debt commission's recommendations, which will create much consternation. I can't wait to see if the republican leadership will give him grief over that! By adopting those recommendations to balance the budget, the republicans will have to put up or shut up. They have talked the talk, now we may get to see if they can walk the walk.

These upcoming years will be interesting, to say the least.

dnf777
01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
How come YOU cant seem to let certain thing go:p:p

I didn't bring it up. I merely responded to a comment brought up by MK.

M&K's Retrievers
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
[B]he has granted the bush tax cuts, which was a good thing.

He had them shoved up his arse is more like it. He didn't grant anything!

road kill
01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
He had them shoved up his arse is more like it. He didn't grant anything!

Oh no, he granted them to us.
You know, like how a Genie grants a wish or Royalty grants knighthood???:cool:

He "granted" us to keep our own money!!!!:rolleyes:

RK

dnf777
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Oh no, he granted them to us.
You know, like how a Genie grants a wish or Royalty grants knighthood???:cool:

He "granted" us to keep our own money!!!!:rolleyes:

RK

Go ahead and parse words. Bush's bill was worded to take away your money starting 2 weeks ago. Obama signed the extension, however you want to say it.

Lets see if boehner really wants to balance the budget now, or just blow more wind and bubbles.

Buzz
01-14-2011, 01:01 PM

OH NO! It's Bush's fault. anyone who disagreed with him should have kept their traps shut.

ducknwork
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
[B]My portfolio is back to where it was, and then some.

When did the dow hit 14K+? I must have been out hunting that day and missed the news...

Buzz
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
When did the dow hit 14K+? I must have been out hunting that day and missed the news...

It is possible to do better than the DOW. My retirement savings is about 3 times what it was before the crap hit the fan. But FWIW, the DOW is a very poor indication of how the average American is making out.

I forget where I saw it, but I read recently that a big fraction of those with IRA's sold when the DOW was way down and have yet to re-enter the market. Ouch!

gmhr1
01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Gov Brewer has been trying to get the Pres here for a long time its a shame it took a a tragedy like this for him to come to AZ

huntinman
01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Gov Brewer has been trying to get the Pres here for a long time its a shame it took a a tragedy like this for him to come to AZ

Obama is only going to do something if he thinks it benefits his agenda. Visiting the border and seeing for himself the level of problems we have down there does not benefit him in any way. He would rather pretend that problem does not exsist.

M&K's Retrievers
01-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Obama is only going to do something if he thinks it benefits his agenda. Visiting the border and seeing for himself the level of problems we have down there does not benefit him in any way. He would rather pretend that problem does not exsist.

Insert Buzz's head up the arse picture here.

dnf777
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

PM me and I'll give you the names of some good financial advisors.
I hope you're not 100% invested in Dow industrials!!!

Try some emerging market funds, or cap growth.

I might ask Buzz for some advice....I was happy until I read his post! :(

Marvin S
01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
PM me and I'll give you the names of some good financial advisors.
I hope you're not 100% invested in Dow industrials!!!

Try some emerging market funds, or cap growth.

I might ask Buzz for some advice....I was happy until I read his post! :(

Note to Ducknwork - MD's are not noted for their financial acumen :).

I would comment - the time to buy was October '08 - March '09. Now you need to be quite selective. Good stocks are not cheap like they were then. Portfolio also above the level it was at 14K, & things are looking great. No thanks to BHO - just good old American ingenuity. When we return to the 5% unemployment of the old days is when the market will be ready to overheat.

BrianW
01-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Just my impression from 1800 miles away....

Find some good in the world for once. Not everything has to be evil and sinister. __________________

Just "my impression" fron 14795.49 +/- miles away (per Yahoo Maps) as the OP asked Dave. :)

Did you miss my opening line, that I was actually "proud" of the President (overall) for once? I even agreed that, for the most part, the President said what needed to be said in this instance. Give me some credit ok? ;)

On a serious note though, do you care to discuss that PBO, the quintessential US overnmant figure at this time, has his speeches so carefully scripted, that everything means something? Especially in a national spotlight situation like this ? Ie "We should be willing to challenge old assumptions ..." If that is not a political insertion into what you assert was an "apolitical" event, I don't know what is. That's straight out of "Campaign 101" imo.
We constantly have statements issued from this White House that, when challenged, are defended in the guise of "oh, that was just a metaphor" or "well, he /she was only speaking in aphorism". Sorry, but I don't buy that dog. For example, when a czar/aide to the POTUS says they agree with /admire Chairman Mao, one of the most murderous Communist leaders in history, that, to me, says something about that person, as well as the person that appointed them to that position.

Also, in as far as Hernandez' comments go, I asked "why did he say what he did?" after acknowledging his youth & public speaking experience. Although, "Gabby" is on record against amnesty, she does state that "they (illegals) must be brought out from the shadows"., one of the current "buzz phrases" on immigration. Given his ostensibly Hispanic heritage based on his surname, is it unreasonable to think he may have taken advantage of his "15 minutes of fame" ?

dnf777
01-15-2011, 04:53 AM
[QUOTE=Marvin S;733250]Note to Ducknwork - MD's are not noted for their financial acumen :).

Note to Marvin: Smart MDs retain the services of nationally syndicated stock brokers and investment planners for their financial strategies! :D

We have a deal....I don't tell him what stocks to buy, and he doesn't take out my appendix. Works really well.

Way ahead of the Dow regards.....

Buzz
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I would comment - the time to buy was October '08 - March '09. Now you need to be quite selective. Good stocks are not cheap like they were then. Portfolio also above the level it was at 14K, & things are looking great. No thanks to BHO - just good old American ingenuity. When we return to the 5% unemployment of the old days is when the market will be ready to overheat.

Amen Marvin. And to Dave, I just happened to be really lucky and have a decent amount of cash on hand during the time period mentioned above. Nothing more to it than being lucky and looking at good companies that were not going anywhere they were selling really really cheap. It's human nature to panic and sell when prices are really low and falling, then jump in and buy or hang on when prices are high and rising.

Marvin S
01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Amen Marvin. And to Dave, I just happened to be really lucky and have a decent amount of cash on hand during the time period mentioned above. Nothing more to it that looking at good companies that were not going anywhere they were selling really really cheap. It's human nature to panic and sell when prices are really low and falling, then jump in and buy or hang on when prices are high and rising.

Luck is prepared opportunity. I missed on a few right at the end, but overall am happy. It will happen again as it did in '63, '87, '90, just to mention a few. I didn't get hit in the tech crash as we don't own tech, a commodity at a high PE.

But I started a new thread "Note ot Ducknwork" so whatever is worthwhile can have it's own thread. I think it very important to the youngsters on this forum, which you all are relative to me, to have a working knowledge of investing. Then you can figure out what you are doing wrong :cool:, as we all make a mistake or two.

Investing is like farming, if you are harvesting good yields on all your crops it's luck or you are not taking enough risk.

dnf777
01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Amen Marvin. And to Dave, I just happened to be really lucky and have a decent amount of cash on hand during the time period mentioned above. Nothing more to it than being lucky and looking at good companies that were not going anywhere they were selling really really cheap. It's human nature to panic and sell when prices are really low and falling, then jump in and buy or hang on when prices are high and rising.

The way my advisor told me (from his satellite phone,while he was yachting the Mediterranian with Marvin ) was when Kmart has a sale, people break the doors rushing in. When Wall Street has a sale (Everything 50% off) people run away and ask for their money back!

mjh345
01-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Well I have mixed thoughts.
First T shirts handed out on the back of the chairs? What the heck?
TACKY AND DISGUSTING

It started off as a proper memorial service.
The entire middle turned into an OBAMA pep rally. Completely disgusting.
Again it ended as a proper memorial service.

Well luvmylabs {and other critics} please share your thoughts on Cheney and Newt Gingrich's impressions on Obama's handling of the Tucson tragedy

luvmylabs23139
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Well luvmylabs {and other critics} please share your thoughts on Cheney and Newt Gingrich's impressions on Obama's handling of the Tucson tragedy

I have no idea what their opinions were nor do I care. I speak for myself. I found the pep rally atmosphere disgusting . I don't blame Obama directly but he could have shut it down. I felt the actions of the crowd were not respectful to those who lost their lives.

dnf777
01-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I have no idea what their opinions were nor do I care. I speak for myself. I found the pep rally atmosphere disgusting . I don't blame Obama directly but he could have shut it down. I felt the actions of the crowd were not respectful to those who lost their lives.

Then you should have gotten up an left.

M&K's Retrievers
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Be nice and leave.:rolleyes:

huntinman
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM

On Rush Limbaugh's program he has the "official" obama ctiticizer, Bo Snerdley.

I hereby pronounce you, DNF, the Official Obama Defender in all things trivial and unimportant!

luvmylabs23139
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM

What sort of grammar is that? Just saying.:rolleyes:

dnf777
01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
On Rush Limbaugh's program he has the "official" obama ctiticizer, Bo Snerdley.

I hereby pronounce you, DNF, the Official Obama Defender in all things trivial and unimportant!

I wasn't defending Obama. I was defending the right to get up and leave if anyone found the memorial service offensive.

Funny thing though, of the thousands actually present, none got up to leave.

If you read these forums, you will see me criticize Obama. Mostly for his continuation of Bush policies and wars.

I hereby pronounce you, HUNTINGMAN, the official Luvvy defender! :o

ducknwork
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
I wasn't defending Obama. I was defending the right to get up and leave if anyone found the memorial service offensive.

Funny thing though, of the thousands actually present, none got up to leave.If you read these forums, you will see me criticize Obama. Mostly for his continuation of Bush policies and wars.

I hereby pronounce you, HUNTINGMAN, the official Luvvy defender! :o

Were you there watching the exits?

huntinman
01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey doc, you are mispronouncing huntinman. Down here in the south we don't go hunt-eeng, we go huntin'. Therefore, I am huntinman.

Come on down some time and we will show you the difference between hunt-eeng and huntin'.

dnf777
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey doc, you are mispronouncing huntinman. Down here in the south we don't go hunt-eeng, we go huntin'. Therefore, I am huntinman.

Come on down some time and we will show you the difference between hunt-eeng and huntin'.

Sorry. I grew up in texas, and its taken me almost 20 years to learn proper english again! ;-)

huntinman
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Sorry. I grew up in texas, and its taken me almost 20 years to learn proper english again! ;-)

so when you get ready to do something are you fixin' to do it?

My wife is a Texan (Sherman, Near Dallas) and she is forever fixin' to do this or that!

road kill
01-18-2011, 11:58 AM

My wife is a Texan (Sherman, Near Dallas) and she is forever fixin' to do this or that!

"Fixin ta" is not just a Texas thang.

I grew up in MO....We was always "fixin' ta" do sumpin'.

Now, in WI, it's "fixin ta'....ya hey dare!!"

RK

dnf777
01-18-2011, 12:04 PM

I still say "fixin' ta" in Pa, and nobody seems to notice. I think its a universal thang nowadays. One thing I hear in Pittsburgh and nowhere else is, "redd up". As in get ready for something.

"got company coming...gotta redd up the place"