PDA

View Full Version : What is still Made in the USA

BonMallari
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Dnf 777 came up with a good topic..what do you still use that is Made in the USA

1. Field Trial Labrador retrievers

2. Remington shotgun

3. Remington and Winchester ammo

4. G&H decoys

5. Duckhorn wines

6. Herb Meland longbow

luvmylabs23139
01-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Chateau Morrisette Blushing Dog wine

Roger Perry
01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Chateau Morrisette Blushing Dog wine
#1 cash crop Marijuana

BonMallari
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Alaskan Amber beer

Ken Bora
01-23-2011, 05:13 PM
..what do you still use that is Made in the USA?

#1 cash crop Marijuana
I could tell Roger, just by readin' :)

I run Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, What places did all those pesky other retriever breeds come from?

nuf said ;-)

dnf777
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Didn't think of Duckhorn, shame on me!

Chevy truck.
Western Plow
Fender Telecaster
Precision-15 sailboat
'82 Evinrude 9.9 that still starts with less than 5 pulls.

I'll also add Opus One and California Kobe beef on occasion!

charly_t
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I could tell Roger, just by readin' :)

I run Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, What places did all those pesky other retriever breeds come from?

nuf said ;-)

If a certain humane organization has their way there will be very few dogs bred in the good old USA. Prop. B passed in MO. OK passed a bill that would have put me out of business if I were still young enough to do the work. It is the same kind of thing that has made a lot of American ( USA ) companies move out of America ( USA ). Someone who knows nothing about what it takes to get the job done is writing the regulation for us. I would get on my soap box but most here know what is going on.

BonMallari
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Blue Bell ice cream

Jack Daniels Tennessee whiskey

Marvin S
01-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Support Your local farmers - Those who don't use sprays on their land. Buy their Value Added products. The freshest & best produce will be at a Farmer's Market or from a local farmer.

An area I am familiar with is the Dairy/Cheese industry. Tell COSTCO & OTHER BOX STORES to quit importing all the crap they pass off for cheese & sell local artisan cheese. There are some very good cheesemakers in this country who are making some very fine product. They are also constantly trying to improve. The pressure you bring on the store you patronize will bring quality product, locally made, which will contribute to more satisfaction in your life. Well, most of you, some on here are such so warped they'll never find satisfaction :).

Brad Turner
01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Pointer Brand Clothing

Blackstone
01-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Kent Shotgun Shells

road kill
01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Dnf 777 came up with a good topic..what do you still use that is Made in the USA

1. Field Trial Labrador retrievers

2. Remington shotgun

3. Remington and Winchester ammo

4. G&H decoys

5. Duckhorn wines

6. Herb Meland longbow

Miller Lite Beer!!!!:cool:

RK

BrianW
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure about the "still use" part, but if you need something "new", this might be of help:

American Made Products Directory

http://www.americansworking.com/

PS Mossberg 935 semi-auto shotgun
Ruger Model 77 rifle. 308 cal
Kirkland Handcrafted Beers (Amber Ale ! )

road kill
01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
#1 cash crop Marijuana

WOW.....how impressive.

Another soiled thread.:(

stan b

Roger Perry
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
WOW.....how impressive.

Another soiled thread.:(

stan b

Lighten up Stan it was a joke.:rolleyes:

Buzz
01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Irish Setter Classic USA Wingshooter 7" Uninsulated Boots

Remington Shotgun

mjh345
01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders

davewolfe
01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I think every big company in the town I live in, has now open other factory in china. They send u.s. workers over to train and set up these factorys. Eventulity if everthing is made somewhere else, we will be make the same wage as chinesse worker. I purchase supplies for the factory I work for, and its hard to find products made in u.s. I think we have given alot of are technologly away. This use to be what set us apart from 3rd world countrys.

Julie R.
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Lighten up Stan it was a joke.:rolleyes:

And not true, although it may have been at one point. Most of it comes from Mexico, passing across our borders as easily and plentifully as the illegals. But that's OK Rog, we know as a good patriot you probably buy homegrown.

By the way, like Ken, I breed, hunt and compete with the ONLY true American retriever. One that was bred entirely from local stock, here in the U.S., by and for American hunters and American hunting, as well as the first breed to be recognized by the AKC. Can't get much more American made than a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q254/HopeSpringsFarm/Panda%20puppy/FlagPan.jpg

Roger Perry
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I can remember when I was in high school and the population of West bend was 9,000. We had the West Bend Co., Geils, Amity leather products, Mallard Mobile homes. None of the manufacturing companies sent work to China or other countries. We cannot compete with 3rd world Countries that pay their workers next to nothing to manufacture clothing or anything else. We need to tax heavily the imports from these 3rd world countries.

dnf777
01-23-2011, 10:36 PM

This thread is about new products.....not "used" ones.

Broken-in jeans regards....
dave

BonMallari
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM

This thread is about new products.....not "used" ones.

Broken-in jeans regards....
dave

Tread lightly there , I have a couple of friends that are former DC Cheerleaders, they remain near and dear to me..;-)

RedlegHunter
01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Gator Trax Boats custom built in S. LA.

ducknwork
01-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Remington 870
Lowe jon boat
Johnson outboard
Motorguide trolling motor
Hevi Metal shells
Bosch Dishwasher/washer and dryer

road kill
01-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Stormy Kromer headwear!!!

RK

Franco
01-25-2011, 07:54 AM
WE still make the best Rock N Roll:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QS9aU0ONgA

dnf777
01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Stormy Kromer headwear!!!

RK

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is copied from the Original Kromer Cap web listing:

80% recycled wool / 20% nylon. 100% cotton lining. Made in USA with imported materials. Dry clean only.
At least its assembled here...I'll give them a 50% on that!

(and I just ordered one....thanks for posting, Stan--I've been looking for a good wool head furnace)

2tall
01-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Tritronics

But I agree with Marvin, our food is our most important product. I try not to buy anything anymore that is more than 5 days away from the field or farm it was raised on. NOT EASY! Therefore we are embarking on an effort to raise our own and barter as needed.

road kill
01-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is copied from the Original Kromer Cap web listing:

80% recycled wool / 20% nylon. 100% cotton lining. Made in USA with imported materials. Dry clean only.
At least its assembled here...I'll give them a 50% on that!

(and I just ordered one....thanks for posting, Stan--I've been looking for a good wool head furnace)

There is nothing better.....quite stylish as well!!:rolleyes:
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/charcoal_5.jpg

I have the Charcoal model (above) a camo model and a blaze orange.

RK

M&K's Retrievers
01-25-2011, 09:23 AM
There is nothing better.....quite stylish as well!!:rolleyes:
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/charcoal_5.jpg

I have the Charcoal model (above) a camo model and a blaze orange.

RK

Does Elmer know you have his hat?:p

Buzz
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
I went with Michelins on my truck last time around, only because Cooper didn't make the tire I wanted for 20 inch rims. Otherwise, Cooper makes a great tire here in the USA.

dnf777
01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
But has ANYONE ever had a hat dry-cleaned????

If worn propery, it should get an occasional washin' on the hoof!

BonMallari
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM
But has ANYONE ever had a hat dry-cleaned????

If worn properly, it should get an occasional washin' on the hoof!

You mean like my black Resistol cowboy hat from the George Strait Collection

Buzz
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Just ordered one for my dad.

Thanks RK.

Marvin S
01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
I went with Michelins on my truck last time around, only because Cooper didn't make the tire I wanted for 20 inch rims. Otherwise, Cooper makes a great tire here in the USA.

Had some Cooper 6-ply's on my truck - 2500 HD Chevy - had just finished a short trip pulling travel trailer & pulled truck into garage. Looked at rear tire with about 30K on them & there is a big gouge out of the middle. About 1 foot long & 1 1/2 inches wide down to casing, dealer exchanged tires & was going to send to factory as he had never seen anything like that before. He also said they had very good luck with the Cooper brand!!

Buzz
01-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Dave, I know you like wool clothing and have dropped Filson because they went offshore.

Check out the wool jacket and pants that those guys make. Read the reviews, one guy hated the jacket, everyone else loves it. They look nice and the price isn't too bad. I may order a jacket to go with my dad's hat, lol!

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/outerwear

Marvin, my dad is a big time buy USA type guy. He'd been running Coopers for years and swears by them. He was very disappointed in me for buying the Michelins, but admitted that the best set of tires he's ever had on a truck were Michelin. I have driven and ridden in his F250 on a set of Cooper Discoverer ATR tires, and they are great on the highway, in mud, and in snow.

starjack
01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Troy bilt snow thower, Hiniker snow plow

dnf777
01-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Check out the wool jacket and pants that those guys make. Read the reviews, one guy hated the jacket, everyone else loves it. They look nice and the price isn't too bad. I may order a jacket to go with my dad's hat, lol!

First Christmas together (actually apart, I was in residency, she was in the army at Ft. Polk) my wife got me a Woolrich red plaid wool jacket. It will always be my favorite, no matter what.

Jason Glavich
01-26-2011, 09:18 AM
And not true, although it may have been at one point. Most of it comes from Mexico, passing across our borders as easily and plentifully as the illegals. But that's OK Rog, we know as a good patriot you probably buy homegrown.

By the way, like Ken, I breed, hunt and compete with the ONLY true American retriever. One that was bred entirely from local stock, here in the U.S., by and for American hunters and American hunting, as well as the first breed to be recognized by the AKC. Can't get much more American made than a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q254/HopeSpringsFarm/Panda%20puppy/FlagPan.jpg

So they are as American as you and I, or as my dog being a lab right? Local dogs being bred to Newfies still has some relatives outside the US.

In 1807, an English brig shipwrecked off the coast of Maryland and two Newfoundlands were rescued from the cargo. When bred to local retrievers, including the English Otter Hound, Flat-Coat and Curly-Coated Retriever, the "Chessie" type developed. Bred to work on land and water, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever originally hunted waterfowl in rough and icy waters, often retrieving several hundred birds per day. From the AKC site, CBR site has similar story.

I would say true 100% American dog would have been here and unchanged since we found this place and started recording history. It [CBR] may have been produced here but the dogs were from across the pond and locals together, unless the sotry of the breed on both accounts is wrong, wiki has same story with more detail. My lab was born here too as were many of her ancestors, so she is as American as me.

Oh and I drive a Ford, I try to buy USA made products more often but usually the stuff I buy is never made in the USA at the stores I shop at sadly.

Ken Bora
01-26-2011, 10:11 AM
... unless the sotry of the breed on both accounts is wrong, wiki has same story with more detail..

Nope,
2 pups. And those two pups were breed. Breed by those villainous market hunters. And the offspring were breed. To everything from Wolves to Coon Hounds. It didn’t happen over night and it was simply best dog to best bitch for the sole purpose of retrieving so many birds off the punt gun as to sink the tender boats and stay out in the spread all night and guard it from the other villainous market hunters who would steal the gear. The offspring of those two pups and countless other dogs were molded into the only American Retriever. They were made here. :cool:

Jason Glavich
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
QUOTE=Ken Bora;2 pups. And those two Foreign pups were breed. Breed by those villainous market hunters. And the Half foreignoffspring were breed. To everything from Wolves to Coon Hounds. It didn’t happen over night and it was simply best dog to best bitch for the sole purpose of retrieving so many birds off the punt gun as to sink the tender boats and stay out in the spread all night and guard it from the other villainous market hunters who would steal the gear. The offspring of those two pups and countless other dogs were molded into the only American (like most settlers whos relatives are now thought of as American)Retriever. They were made here. (And like some of USA "made" products, the ingrediants were imported):cool:

But they were from somewhere else. My dog doesn't have a relative that wasn't made in this country in a long time, if she is not American then neither am I or the POTUS...(Maybe he is a bad example to use...) I added some text to your response in blue. :p

M&K's Retrievers
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Dunkin Dougnuts
Campizzi's Pizza
Shanghai Jimmie's Chili Rice
Fletcher' s Corney Dogs
Jack's Fries
Budwiser

road kill
01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Dunkin Dougnuts
Campizzi's Pizza
Shanghai Jimmie's Chili Rice
Fletcher' s Corney Dogs
Jack's Fries
Budwiser

Jack Daniels!!
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/jackd.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

:D

Ken Bora
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
But they were from somewhere else. My dog doesn't have a relative that wasn't made in this country in a long time

But your lab, it’s breed and conformation, it’s making…….
Happened elsewhere.
Liken it to an American made Toyota.;-)

BonMallari
01-26-2011, 10:49 AM
two things that I havent used in a while but are still made in the USA

Rawlings baseball glove

Louisville Slugger baseball bat

mjh345
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
We still make Field Trial Champions here.
However there is a thread on the main forum, and by reading it I can't tell if these FC-AFC's are inferior or superior to foreign made {BRITISH} Field Champions

Confused regards

Jason Glavich
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
But your lab, it’s breed and conformation, it’s making…….
Happened elsewhere.
Liken it to an American made Toyota.;-)

But isn't my American lab different then when it started right...that is what some people think.

150class
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I can remember when I was in high school and the population of West bend was 9,000. We had the West Bend Co., Geils, Amity leather products, Mallard Mobile homes. None of the manufacturing companies sent work to China or other countries. We cannot compete with 3rd world Countries that pay their workers next to nothing to manufacture clothing or anything else. We need to tax heavily the imports from these 3rd world countries.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I grew up in West Bend just east of amity. I'll add Regal Wear in Kewaskum to your list . My grand father worked there for 35 years. Had tears in his eyes when it moved elsewhere.

JDogger
01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Whitman's sampler, box and chocolates. JD

I doubt they'll pull us out, though

dnf777
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Stan---You are Da MAN!

got my Stormy Kromers today, and haven't taken it off! That is by far the best fitting, most comfortable winter hat I've ever put on my head. Wifey loves her pink one too.

Christmas shopping will be a snap for next year now. Kromers for the entire clan.

Roger Perry
01-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I grew up in West Bend just east of amity. I'll add Regal Wear in Kewaskum to your list . My grand father worked there for 35 years. Had tears in his eyes when it moved elsewhere.
I guess you can add Amity leather to the list also. I was a caddy for Bobby Rolfs at the West Bend Country Club. I remember shagging balls for him and catching them in his golf ball bag.
I lived on Birchwood Dr just off of Decorah Rd. I used to cross over the tracks behind my house and go hunting until the land there was bought up by the light company.
I bought my first labrador from Junior Berth, Glorloral Kennels.

Uncle Bill
01-29-2011, 01:57 PM
From what I know...these still claim to be American originals.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/Hog_Hunting_in_South_Louisiana_2006.jpg

And I highly doubt these rednecks are imports. Can't get much more original, eh?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/BasicBubbas.jpg

And for a fact, I KNOW this is original. Care to join me?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/RedAssRhubarbwine.jpg

UB;-)

dnf777
02-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Duluth Pack bags and luggage, out of MN.
Haven't had mine long enough to comment on longevity, but seems pretty well put together.

TxHillHunter
02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Hatch Green Chiles, Hatch NM - none better! ;)

Snell Acoustics, great loudspeakers

And these guys make a great dog product in Tea, SD
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/

Pals
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
my dogs food.
my truck
all my kitchen cabinets, with wood from our farms.
my food I used to make cream of chicken soup

Pals
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
OMG I almost forgot

MY FAVORITE MAPLE SYRUP.......

getting old is for the birds. I'm going to go have some ice cream with syrup

YardleyLabs
02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Personally, I still use Ken's wonderful maple syrup, and there can't be anything more American than that. Place your orders now...

greg magee
02-08-2011, 05:42 AM
“The United States remains by far the world’s leading manufacturer by value of goods produced. It hit a record $1.6 trillion in 2007 – nearly double the $811 billion of 1987. For every $1 of value produced in China factories, the United States generates $2.50.”

Jason Glavich
02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Anchor Babies...

Sorry hard to say it but they are made in the USA...with imported materials...

Gerry Clinchy
02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Martin guitars, Nazareth, PA

Interesting story with Martin ... they originally started out as a quality mfr, then got sucked into "volume". When the owners looked at what they had wrought, they went out into the factory and took sledge hammers to the new guitars sitting in the warehouse. They vowed to go back to producing quality in their product. And they flourished once again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy

This article is really food for thought. Should we really compete for the "cheap" products that China can make with low-skilled, low-paid labor?

The U.S. manufacturing sector is roaring back after the worst recession in generations. So why aren’t factory jobs coming back as quickly?

One big reason: Business executives like Drew Greenblatt, owner of Baltimore-based Marlin Steel Wire Products, have figured out how to make more widgets with the same number of workers. To do so, he's had to upgrade the skills — and wages — of his employees. But his profits are bigger than ever.

Last July, the company, which makes wire baskets, installed $700,000 worth of robots, continuing a steady process of automation Greenblatt began when he bought the company in 1998.
“In the old days, we had a $6 an-hour-guy who would hand-bend 300 bends an hour,” said Greenblatt. “Now we have guy who’s paid $22 an hour with the robots but he’s giving me (20,000) bends an hour. Do the math.”

For Greenblatt, the math goes like this: Last year, his revenues and profits were up 12 percent — his best year since buying the company in 1998. That year, Merlin Steel did $800,000 in sales with 18 workers. Today the company has 25 employees and does $3.9 million in sales, exporting to 33 countries.
Automation raises productivity not just by making products faster; it also makes them better, said Greenblatt.

“It’s better quality (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy#), so we have a lot less rework,” he said. “We have more reorders because the client is delighted. And we ship faster because we’re not going back and fixing things.”

A separate report by the Commerce Department showed that U.S. factory orders rose in December, pushed higher demand from businesses (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy#) for machinery and communications equipment. Orders have risen in five of the past six months.

The rise in orders has prompted manufacturers to boost hiring. On Friday, the government reported that the sector added 49,000 new jobs in January - even as bad weather dampened employment gains for other industries.

Productivity is a pretty simple concept: It’s a measure of how much stuff a worker makes in a given number of hours. But increases in U.S. productivity are the result of complex forces that have been reshaping the manufacturing workforce for decades and are expected to continue.
Recently, productivity got a boost from the fallout of a harsh recession that put weaker, less-productive companies out of business or forced them to sell out to stronger, more productive competitors.
http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/ArtAndPhoto-Fronts/BUSINESS/Graphics/Manufacturing-jobs.grid-6x2.gif

Widespread job cuts during the recession also transformed the workforce on individual factory floors, said Greenblatt.

“The guys that are the survivors are the most proficient, the smartest, the hardest-working, best character people,” said Greenblatt. “And those people make more widgets per hour.”

Productivity has also risen as American manufacturers have moved to specialize in more valuable products, sending manufacturing of cheaper goods overseas where wages are lower. As the value of American-made products has risen, so too has the average level of output per worker when measured in dollar terms.

For example, an aerospace engineer who designs a landing gear for a Boeing 777 adds a lot more to U.S. GDP than a high school graduate bending metal into a dish washer.

As the overall mix of American-made goods becomes more valuable, the U.S. economy produces more in dollar terms with same number of workers. So the economy becomes more “productive.”

“A lot of the low-end and basic commodities are now produced somewhere else,” said Tom Runiewicz, an economist at IHS Global Insight who follows the manufacturing sector. “That means products higher up the value chain are manufactured here.”

Rising global demand for high-end, capital intensive goods is boosting exports for

American manufacturers like Oshkosh Corp., a Wisconsin-based maker of high-end, heavy-duty specialty trucks. The company recently began hiring to keep up with increased demand from overseas customers and to fill a new truck order from the Defense Department.

“We're ramping up from about 10 trucks a day to 40 to 45 in about another seven or eight months,” Oshkosh (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy#) CEO Charlie Szews told CNBC this week. “So it's going to mean 650, 750 jobs for the Oshkosh community.”

The order will also mean about $1 billion in business for the company's suppliers, said Szews.

“The unskilled production worker is become more and more obsolete,” he said. “This is something that been going on for years, but the recession has accelerated the process because it’s shaken out the lower productivity firms.”

Higher completion rates (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy#) for college diplomas and a boom in admissions to technical schools and community colleges are helping to upgrade worker skills. Some of the burden is also falling on employers like Greenblatt.

“A lot of schools are graduating kids that can’t do fifth-grade math, so it’s hard for us to teach people to program a robot when they don’t even know how to use a tape measure,” he said. “We have had to do a lot of training and a lot of upgrading to find talent that can read a blueprint and understand how to program a computer.”

Improved access to training, along with booming exports, will help. But most economists expect the jobless rate to remain stubbornly high – especially among lower-skilled workers. Without a more robust economic expansion, it will be years before those factory workers sidelined by the recession will begin collecting a paycheck again, according to Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy#) Research.

It's easy to paint all business with the same brush as some greedy bankers or oil companies, but there are many businesses that are building the foundation for the future of the US economy. Build the products that people want, with the quality needed, and the innovation that makes them better than other similar products or obsolete products.

As with basket company, the businessmen are also taking responsibility for educating and training the workers they need when our educational system has not done the job.

Mike W.
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Allen Edmonds shoes

Granddaddy
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I think the Remington 870 is assembled in the US from foreign-made parts. This is the case of most US-made items these days, including ALL US made autos & trucks. And Kent shotshells are made using foreign components, too (like Tritronics uses foreign components). It's just the way things are these days. BTW, while Gunner's Up Wingers & Zinger Wingers are foreign made, the Days End poppers, tossers, stakeouts sold by Dogs Afield are all American made.....

road kill
02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Hardy-Daversons????:cool:

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/hawg-8-10.jpg

RK