PDA

View Full Version : Ill. court throws Emanuel off Chicago ballot

BrianW
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_chicago_mayor_emanuel

CHICAGO An Illinois appellate court on Monday threw former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel off the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election.
The decision cast doubt over Emanuel's candidacy just a month before the election. He had been considered the front-runner and had raised more money than any other candidate.
The court voted 2-1 to overturn a lower-court ruling that would have kept his name on the Feb. 22 ballot.
Emanuel plans to appeal the matter to the Illinois Supreme Court

Buzz
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

huntinman
01-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Judge may end up with a dead fish in his mail!

dnf777
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Knowing Chicago politics, and his power base, he'll get in one way or another.

It will be interesting to see what is the basis for his appeal.

You would think you'd have these little details taken care of before a former POTUS makes a special trip on behalf of your candidacy. (unless that's part of the power play)

Eric Johnson
01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Illinois law is pretty clear that a candidate must have lived there for 1 year in advance of the election. Emmanuel is basing his legal arguments on the concept of "residency" which arguably he does meet. When I was in the Air Force, I claimed residency in Ill for tax purposes. However, I didn't say I lived there.

The law that is in question is completely separate from the issue of residency. It is a part of the Illinois Municipal Code which actually requires a person to live in the political sub-division for which office is sought.

Eric

hotel4dogs
01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Obviously you don't live in IL. What the law is, and what happens, often don't bear any relationship to each other.

Illinois law is pretty clear that a candidate must have lived there for 1 year in advance of the election. Emmanuel is basing his legal arguments on the concept of "residency" which arguably he does meet. When I was in the Air Force, I claimed residency in Ill for tax purposes. However, I didn't say I lived there.

The law that is in question is completely separate from the issue of residency. It is a part of the Illinois Municipal Code which actually requires a person to live in the political sub-division for which office is sought.

Eric

road kill
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Eric

Rahm will be the next Mayor of Chicago.

Wanna bet me???

RK

Goose
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Judge may end up with a dead fish in his mail!

Reminds me of the original Godfather movie and the bloody horse head in the bed scene:) Rahmbo will make him an offer he can't refuse!

BonMallari
01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
this isnt over by any stretch of the imagination...the Daley political machine is just getting warmed up

dnf777
01-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Wanna bet me???

RK

Anyone would be a fool to take that bet!

He'll be mayor if the judge allows his candidacy or not.

He'll be mayor if he get a majority or minority of votes.

And that's all I'm gonna diss on him, because I don't want the black helicopters paying me a visit!

subroc
01-24-2011, 06:28 PM
can a sitting president appoint someone mayor?

Eric Johnson
01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Obviously you don't live in IL. What the law is, and what happens, often don't bear any relationship to each other.

Having lived, gone to school, and worked as an Assistant City Manager in Illinois, I do indeed have a sense of Illinois local government and politics.

This will go to the Illinois Supreme Court. Depending on how they rule, it could potentially go to the US Supreme Ct al a Bush v. Gore....though I don't know what the grounds would be for a Federal suit.

There's but a month until the election so the fuse is lit.

Eric

BrianW
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Jmtc, but all I see is that he can't be "on the ballot".

Dick Simpson, a political scientist at the University of Illinois at Chicago, said if the appellate decision is upheld, Emanuel's only choice might be to run a write-in campaign.
No candidate for mayor in Chicago has ever won a write-in campaign. "It's probably impossible," Simpson said.

With the "name recognition" and other "influential factors" behind him, nothing's impossible.

huntinman
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Jmtc, but all I see is that he can't be "on the ballot".

Dick Simpson, a political scientist at the University of Illinois at Chicago, said if the appellate decision is upheld, Emanuel's only choice might be to run a write-in campaign.
No candidate for mayor in Chicago has ever won a write-in campaign. "It's probably impossible," Simpson said.

With the "name recognition" and other "influential factors" behind him, nothing's impossible.

Lots of dead people vote for Dems in Chicago...

M&K's Retrievers
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Lots of dead people vote for Dems in Chicago...

Texas too. Just ask LBJ.:(

hotel4dogs
01-25-2011, 07:42 AM
didn't mean to offend, was trying to inject a little humor.

Having lived, gone to school, and worked as an Assistant City Manager in Illinois, I do indeed have a sense of Illinois local government and politics.

This will go to the Illinois Supreme Court. Depending on how they rule, it could potentially go to the US Supreme Ct al a Bush v. Gore....though I don't know what the grounds would be for a Federal suit.

There's but a month until the election so the fuse is lit.

Eric

Eric Johnson
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
didn't mean to offend, was trying to inject a little humor.

None taken.

The truth of the matter is that for a write-in candidacy to succede, you need to find enough folks who can read and write. In the inner city, that will be problemmatic. Even the well-established vote stealing techniques would be obvious and likely a flag thrown.

The unfortunate thing is that he was so far ahead, no one paid much attention to the second place candidate. Carole Mosely Bruan would be a disaster.

Eric

starjack
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Wanna bet me???

RK

Nope he is back on the ballot. Good old Chicago.

dnf777
01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
As Gomer would say....

Surrrrrrr-Priiiiiiize Surrr-PRIZE!!

mjh345
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Looks like he is back in the race.
I

Chicago politics is never boring

jason910910
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM
politics it not who you know its who you bl0w

Steve Hester
01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
He just had to figure out who to pay off............

road kill
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/02/20/rahm-emanuel-may-clinch-chicago-mayors-race-on-tuesday/?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C45472

Told you so!!!:D

RK

road kill
02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
BTW---My friends in Chocago tell me the reason it was so cllose was the "DEAD" voter turn out was only about 40% this election!!!;-)

RK

Ken Bora
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
BTW---My friends in Chocago tell me the reason it was so cllose was the "DEAD" voter turn out was only about 40% this election!!!;-)

RK

and many of those dead folk only voted twice ;-)