PDA

View Full Version : Are You Better Off Than @ Years Ago?

M&K's Retrievers
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
That should be 'Two" years ago.

Check it out:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/01/report_card_on_obamas_first_tw.html

huntinman
01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Nope...

dnf777
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Definately yes. But not because of Obama or Bush or anyone else.

I do know that there are a lot of folks worse off now, due to the selling of jobs overseas and an erosion of our manufacturing base and lack of transition plans to a non-manufacturing economic base.

I posed the question on another forum: Can our economy recover and thrive without a manufacturing base? Can a tech/service economy sustain itself?

I honestly don't know. Not sure anyone else does either. The world has never seen it before, excpet for small scale exceptions.

Blackstone
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I think anyone that is being honest realized things were going to get worse before they got better. We were on a downhill slide long before Obama took office. IMO, we had entered a perpetual downward spiral. Each industry that failed triggered the collapse of another industry. No one was going to be able to turn that around quickly. Most times it takes longer to fix things than it does to break them.

I cannot say I am better off than I was prior to Obama taking office, but fortunately, I’m no worse off. What I am,is more optimistic. I see signs of the economy recovering. My customers bought more vehicles in 2010 than they did 2009. Most are predicting to buy more in 2011 because they are expecting their business to be better. Construction companies, who traditionally lag an economic recovery by a year, have already started booking business for the 2012 calendar year. That gives me hope that we are headed in the right direction.

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I will have to agree with Blackstone there. Here is another question for you: Were you better off in 2008 than you were in 2000. Just asking
regards;-)

starjack
01-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Check it out:

no........

Blackstone
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I was in pretty good shape in 2000. However, over the next few years, I began to lose benefits at work and watched my income stagnate. Raises were basically put on hold for about 3 years between 2001 and 2004. By 2004, unemployment in MI, where I lived at the time, had become a problem. Realestate values were beginning to fall. Foreclosures were beoming common place, especially in Detroit where so many had lost jobs. The trend soon spread to neighboring suburbs. The neighborhood where I lived in Southfield had once been hot property, but it took more than a year to sell my house. I also owned a house in one of the nicer areas Det. where houses generally sold within weeks of going on the market. It took me 7 months to sell that house. Luckily, I left just as the market was starting to crash, so I managed to get a decent price for both houses. Today, those houses have lost about 60% - 70% of their value.

In 2004, my job was outsourced. By the grace of God, I was able to find another job within the company. It required that I relocate, but that wasn’t a problem for me. By 2006, the company went through a reorg and downsized. Quite a few of the people I had worked with were terminated. Had I stayed, more than likely, the same would have happened to me.

When I move to KC in 2004, economics here were pretty good, unemployment was low, and home prices were still on the rise. However, beginning about 2006, you started to see economic decline here as well. Unemployment began to spike, especially in MO, where it went from 4.4 in April ’06 to 8.9 by Jan. ’09 (it was 3.2 in Jan. 2000).

TxHillHunter
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Check it out:

Let's see....I have eliminated all debt except my residence, and it's CHEAP money at < 4%.

But my retirement funds are stagnant in value, despite a 10% contribution and 150% match on the first 6%.

Income has not quite kept pace with inflation, and fixed costs have increased around the home front.

More to it than that, but I'd have to say no. Of course the same can be said for the last 4 years, or 6 years because much of the above remains true as well.

luvmylabs23139
01-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Absolutely NO!
Taxes have gone up. Local property taxes, state income taxes, sales taxes, gas taxes etc. Price of gas has almost doubled. Rates for electricity have gone way up. Food prices have gone up. Heck a bag of sugar is now a four pound bag rather than 5 to hide the increase. Car registration fees have increased. Just a few examples.

Blackstone
01-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Absolutely NO!
Taxes have gone up. Local property taxes, state income taxes, sales taxes, gas taxes etc. Price of gas has almost doubled. Rates for electricity have gone way up. Food prices have gone up. Heck a bag of sugar is now a four pound bag rather than 5 to hide the increase. Car registration fees have increased. Just a few examples.

You shouldn't be eating all that sugar anyway! :-P:-P

luvmylabs23139
01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
You shouldn't be eating all that sugar anyway! :-P:-P

I don't! But you come to my house and tell hubby that there was not going to be any holiday cookies and pies! He looks forward to that all year long. It is his favorite part of Christmas.:p
His Christmas list is just a list of what types of cookies he wants me to bake.

BrianW
01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
If I had to be specific between 1/09 & 1/11, i would have to say yes, because at least I have a "job" (though not a career position :() for now as opposed to being mid-way through a 6 month unemplyment stretch back then. And I am what most would consider as part of the "under-employed sector" and making only about 1/2 as much as I was.

But to borrow (& twist) a few lyrics from the band HellYeah
Itís just the good ol' boy in me
I got my friends I got the recipe
For one hell of a life
I got my girl got my family
Got my dogs and thatís all I need
For a hell of a time...

:D

JDogger
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes, but I've worked very hard to become debt-free. The company I work for has seen sales gains, but I know how hard things are. We put out an internet ad for manager trainees a week ago and got so many responces it crashed HR's personal computers and to a degree the servers.

M&K's Retrievers
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes, but I've worked very hard to become debt-free. The company I work for has seen sales gains, but I know how hard things are. We put out an internet ad for manager trainees a week ago and got so many responces it crashed HR's personal computers and to a degree the servers.

What does that tell you?

JDogger
01-28-2011, 08:09 PM
What does that tell you?

Exactly what I said, Homer:p

JD

zeus3925
01-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Much better off than two years ago. My retirement accounts were nearly wiped out. At least I am now90% recovered. But still the lack of oversight of financial institutions still concerns me greatly.

BrianW
01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
But still the lack of oversight of financial institutions still concerns me greatly.

Fannie & Freddie had Barney & Chris on "oversight" duty and look what's happened to them.

Who/what do you think would be an appropriate person/group/entity to give you some peace of mind? :confused:

JDogger
01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Fannie & Freddie had Barney & Chris on "oversight" duty and look what's happened to them.

Who/what do you think would be an appropriate person/group/entity to give you some peace of mind? :confused:

Aaaah...Glen Beck?

BrianW
01-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Aaaah...Glen Beck?

Well at least Beck wasn't part of the problem (and getting the payoffs) and then claims he's the solution to the problem he helped create.

Govt was a major part of the crisis. From the Clintons & the Bushes to the Fed & the Congresses.
So I ask, what would Zeus (& yourself) suggest to alleviate those "concerns" :?:
More govt? :confused: :shock:

I promise I won't pull the football away again Charlie Brown regards.:twisted:

JDogger
01-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Well at least Beck wasn't part of the problem (and getting the payoffs) and then claims he's the solution to the problem he helped create.

Govt was a major part of the crisis. From the Clintons & the Bushes to the Fed & the Congresses.
So I ask, what would Zeus (& yourself) suggest to alleviate those "concerns" :?:
More govt? :confused: :shock:

I promise I won't pull the football away again Charlie Brown regards.:twisted:

I wonder Brian, if everyone in Athol has a lisp or is it only you?

M&K's Retrievers
01-29-2011, 12:34 AM

JD, where in the Hell is that step ladder?

BrianW
01-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Nope, only the ath-holes! :grin:
Can't speak for the one in Mathatusettes though. Maybe Barney Frank can?!

Gerry Clinchy
01-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I cannot say I am better off than I was prior to Obama taking office, but fortunately, Iím no worse off. What I am,is more optimistic. I see signs of the economy recovering. My customers bought more vehicles in 2010 than they did 2009. Most are predicting to buy more in 2011 because they are expecting their business to be better. Construction companies, who traditionally lag an economic recovery by a year, have already started booking business for the 2012 calendar year. That gives me hope that we are headed in the right direction.

Blackstone, it would be interesting to know what makes your customers more optimistic?

Do they think it was a result of stimulus funds? or other "signs" for an improving economy?

Al VanHoey
01-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Absolutely NO!

....and on top of that, I have taken a 30% pay cut! I just keep "Hoping" for a much better "Change" in 2012!

Steve Hester
01-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Much worse off than 2 years ago or even 10 years ago.:rolleyes:

hotel4dogs
01-30-2011, 06:06 AM
worse off. business is down, costs/taxes are up. adult kids can't make it on their own any more due to bad economy and ask for money loans. when we were promised "change" I figured this was the change that was coming, but a lot of people wouldn't listen to me.

zeus3925
01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
More govt?

In this case, yes. Deregulation and abandonment of oversight permitted the Wall Street to invent the financial fictions that caused the crash. Unfortunately nothing has changed since then and the perpetrators are not only still in business, but richer and fatter.

luvmylabs23139
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
....and on top of that, I have taken a 30% pay cut! I just keep "Hoping" for a much better "Change" in 2012!

Hopefully both Obama and Perdoo doo will be gone. I really can't stand that bitch. Oh wait, that is an insult to my female dog ,Shadow.
Sorry, Shad, Shad.:rolleyes:

Blackstone
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Blackstone, it would be interesting to know what makes your customers more optimistic?

Do they think it was a result of stimulus funds? or other "signs" for an improving economy?

I do have a couple of construction companies and engineering companies as customers that have worked on projects funded by stimulus money. However, most of my customers are basing their optimism on an actual increase in business. I have customers in a variety of industries. Most of those that are optimistic are seeing signs of an improving economy. For example, I have a customer that contracts with the railroads to provide transportation for railroad crews. Railroads are shipping more goods, especially coal, so they have more crews working and being moved. In turn, my customer purchased 100 new vans to support the additional railroad business.

Generally, business, and the economy, must be improving before companies consider expanding or building new facilities. That is why construction usually trails economic recovery by about 1 year. Several of my construction customers are saying their business is going to be flat for the 2011 calendar year. However, they are already signing contracts for 2012. So, if construction is starting to book new business, it follows that the economy must be improving, at least somewhat.

road kill
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I do have a couple of construction companies and engineering companies as customers that have worked on projects funded by stimulus money. However, most of my customers are basing their optimism on an actual increase in business. I have customers in a variety of industries. Most of those that are optimistic are seeing signs of an improving economy. For example, I have a customer that contracts with the railroads to provide transportation for railroad crews. Railroads are shipping more goods, especially coal, so they have more crews working and being moved. In turn, my customer purchased 100 new vans to support the additional railroad business.

Generally, business, and the economy, must be improving before companies consider expanding or building new facilities. That is why construction usually trails economic recovery by about 1 year. Several of my construction customers are saying their business is going to be flat for the 2011 calendar year. However, they are already signing contracts for 2012. So, if construction is starting to book new business, it follows that the economy must be improving, at least somewhat.

Really.....please describe these "projects."

I do business with other businesses that communicate B2B and B2C.

Not one of them have received a dime, nor do we know of anyone in the private sector that has received a dime.
Any hope or increase is do to the entrepenuerial spirit that has always driven America, not "stimulus" money.

Again, please elaborate on these "stimulus" projects.
In detail..........if you can.:cool:

RK

Cody Covey
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
worse off. business is down, costs/taxes are up. adult kids can't make it on their own any more due to bad economy and ask for money loans. when we were promised "change" I figured this was the change that was coming, but a lot of people wouldn't listen to me.

As an "adult kid" I am way better off then before. I would say it has absolutely nothing to do with government at all though. I have a great job where the company has seen sales increases of 15+% both years I have worked here. Gotten huge raises. I will be completely out of debt by the end of next year even paying for my wife's student loans. Currently going back to school to get my bachelors full time while working full time and paying for it out of pocket.

So yeah I'm doing better but I attribute that to me working hard to get what I want. Not really a better economic environment.

Blackstone
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Really.....please describe these "projects."

I do business with other businesses that communicate B2B and B2C.

Not one of them have received a dime, nor do we know of anyone in the private sector that has received a dime.
Any hope or increase is do to the entrepenuerial spirit that has always driven America, not "stimulus" money.

Again, please elaborate on these "stimulus" projects.
In detail..........if you can.:cool:

RK

Actually, one of my customers worked on a bridge project in MO that was touted as the first project to utilize stimulus funds. I have another customer still working on a local highway construction project in Overland Park, KS being paid for with stimulus funds.

Attached is a link about the bridge project. Here is a link to the US-69 project. I can’t give you much more detail that that. I only know what my customers have told me about them. I don’t know who has been paid or not paid.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/02/17/missouri-bridge-project-touted-first-under-stimulus/

http://www.opkansas.org/Resident-Resources/Improvements-to-US-69-75th-to-I-4352